Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. I've been gone about week since my last post. Things havent been exactly peachy for me this past week. My grandpa's funeral went as anyone could expect. I'm not gonna touch on that subject. The weather is what is putting me off right now. I've missed three days this week due to weather. Freezing rain monday. Add that to tuesday with snow on top of ice. Missed that day too. I did cash in a personal day to cover one day. Worked wednesday missed today for snow as well. Wet snow really stinks. The moisture under caused it to ice over too. Add in freezing drizzle on top of it. Yeah it was a mess today. More snow tonight to add to what melted today. Tomorrow looks like a mess too. So who knows? Next week is gonna warm up for us so that's good. Get back to normal around here. Havent been able to do much on the layout this week either. It's just been too cold to do anything. That's all I have for now. I'll leave off here with video I shot a few days ago. I'll try to stop by again later on if I get a chance.

They say there is still a possibility of more "rolling blackouts", which is OK if they truly roll them. They said rolling blackouts would last between 15 minutes and 1 hour. We were just shy of 3 days without power, nothing about rolling in 3 days.
Thankfully all of this time ours have actually been rolling, mostly in a 35 minute to 1 hour duration both ways. Since I heat with wood and cook with propane, this hasn't been too hard of a hardship. It's the water company that I have an issue with. They were affected by the blackouts and it was so cold that a lot of their equipment froze up during the blackout phases. It will be a few days before I know if any pipes burst. The blackouts seem to have ended, 23 hours since the last one.

Hello Shop Dwellers, we got 27*F with freezing drizzle and a 3mph NNE wind in the Southwest corner of Baltimore County (MD).

Thanks to everybody who commented on my post and/or clicked The Button: Hughie, Patrick, Tom-O, Karl, Jerry, Tom-C, Gary, Garry, Sherrell, Guy .

Hughie, good to see you posting here again after the prolonged blackout in TX.

Justin - I enjoyed watching your switchout video.

Chet - hope you'll get to feeling better soon.

Again, no mrr activity to report since today was a normal dial-in workday for me, and my mind was preoccupied with this latest winter storm that's still leaving a remnant of itself over our region. As Karl mentioned, what was supposed to be 6-8 inches of snow wound up coming down as sleet instead. The weather lady at the local news station admitted that this phenomenon is where technology fails - the radar detects snow at the cloud level, and thermometers on the ground indicate below-freezing temps, but there is that intermediate layer of above-freezing air somewhere between the ground and the clouds, that melts the snowflakes as they pass thru. Luckily in our case, the ground-level freezing air layer was thick enough to re-freeze the droplets into sleet - which I don't mind so much since it bounces off tree branches and power lines rather than sticking and accumulating like the liquid stuff.

Still, it left a 2-inch layer over my driveway and I decided to plow it off after supper so I wouldn't have to deal with that chore first thing in the morning. The blower was able to clear it, but I had to really lean into it to push the thing while it dug into the semi-hardened sleet. Those marker poles I planted along the east side of the driveway a few weeks ago, became like goal posts; I would stop at each one and rest for a minute before tackling the next 30-foot stretch. I opted not to bother with the parking area, since the vehicles probably won't sink into it anyway due to its density.

It's sack time for me now, I still need to get up early so I can clear the accumulated sleet off of MOH's car since she has to drive to her job in the morning...cheers!

Good evening, y'all. I have been working on tax returns, with some success. Federal is filed, i overpaid by $859.00. Surprisingly, even with all the medical expenses this past year, I was not able to make to itemize enough to exceed the threshold of the standard deduction plus $300 in Charity.
Still better than paying. For the first time ever, I do not have to file a NJ Tax return. 😥

Nothing new in the trainroom.

Those of you in the South really took a beating this past week. Sorry to hear that, and I'm praying for ya. Not for nothing, who can prepare for a once in a long time weather event. OTOH, Lots of places should have had back-up generators...they are useful during normal weather cycles too.

We are experiencing freezing drizzle right now, with the temperature around 30°...we had roughly 6" to 8" of snow before the sleet, then the snow returned. Wife and I got the driveway, and apron, plus the sidewalks done. I used old rusty, the snow thrower. Worked well considering...my field expedient repairs held up. Need to get more gas tomorrow, as another event is forecast for Monday.

I have an appointment with the eye doctor, Friday Morning, Hopefully, the weather will have calmed down by then, temperatures of 35°, are forecast.
I do not like driving in ice, even though they normally do a good job salting the roads.

We are on several additional waiting lists for the vaccine...beginning to think this is like playing the lottery. Why does everything have to be so difficult?

National Limited Riverdale MD 1964.jpg

B&O National Limited, Riverdale, MD 1964. Still a decent sized train at that point. Photographer unknown.
B&O 6 backs into Washington Terminal December 1959.jpg

B&O #6 The Capitol Limited backing into Washington Terminal in December 1959 Photographer Unknown.

Good morning everyone! Still passing on best wishes to you all as we get through these dog days of Winter. Shubenacadie Sam up here said it will be an early spring as we said last week, some gophers want a longer winter but not us Maritimers.
we made more progress yesterday on our Sunshine Foundation charity layout and I also learned a good tip for doing the inside curve marking using a piece of foam board with our marking jig. We got the rest of the foam cut out including the future dock area and started marking for cork roadbed that we will work on this weekend. Another addition will be touching up the young fellows Thomas engine house that he wants on the layout.
94EBBA53-7DA6-41C9-9993-DD0E26BA8201.png
4A8EA061-FCD8-4101-B741-2D82A5C9ABFB.png
D8696C8B-9DD5-4151-93E4-49F095D90DC5.png

Last edited:
Morning all,

9° and clear in Doo-Dah (Wichita, KS for new coffee shop patrons) with a high of 34° expected.

The wife got her first Covid shot yesterday after some confusing statements from the local health department. It was kind of convoluted when a late 20 something teacher with no pre-existing conditions and kids can get a shot before the 60 something day care worker who cares for said 20-something teachers kids. The jobs are kind of the same. She's got her next appointment scheduled. I'm still too far down the line although I expect the city may try to get us all vaccinated sometime soon. Sadly, the kids are more worried about mom getting the virus than dad.... :(
On a side note, I haven't really ever been sick. I tend to shed stuff fast or never show symptoms. Never had mumps, measles, chicken pox, etc. but test show I had them.

The wife got her first Covid shot yesterday after some confusing statements from the local health department. It was kind of convoluted when a late 20 something teacher with no pre-existing conditions and kids can get a shot before the 60 something day care worker who cares for said 20-something teachers kids. The jobs are kind of the same. She's got her next appointment scheduled. I'm still too far down the line although I expect the city may try to get us all vaccinated sometime soon. Sadly, the kids are more worried about mom getting the virus than dad....
Texas and Florida (and maybe others by now) were the first to prioritize over 65's ahead of teachers and younger essential workers. And guess what? The teachers are mostly in the classroom teaching school! Masks are required.

Good Morning winter weather wranglers...3 new inches of the white stuff here yesterday...rain scheduled for later on...we'll see how that works out.
Spring/summer & triple digit temps will be here before ya know it........
First though...Jesse, thanks for the bacon/coffee offer, nice!
And, many thanks for the hits on the LIKE button, much appreciated!
Gary...I like that iron......no plastic there, excepy maybe the radio k-nob.
Guy...certainly being inside helped preserve the sheets, but even at that, there was only a few that survived in good shape. It looked like they had taken parts of the magazine to cover the cracks in the floor boards before putting the linoleum down. I've got a few other pages I'll post this weekend.
If you want a good chuckle, read the article on the Chrysler boys doing the suspension test, simulating driving conditions (with a bottle jack){I don't want to give it all away ha ha}
Out of time....gota go.....

STAY POSITIVE---BE SAFE

Good morning y'all. Still cold. Still wet. Streams, creeks, and rivers are filled to capacity and beyond. Rain should be moving out today for the weekend, which should be nice, only to possibly return on Monday.

Flo- The usual please, coffee and a pile of bacon. I'll be in my corner.

No mrr news to report. Y'all be safe out there. May check in for lunch.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Texas and Florida (and maybe others by now) were the first to prioritize over 65's ahead of teachers and younger essential workers. And guess what? The teachers are mostly in the classroom teaching school! Masks are required.

With the exception of the first quarter (when the local daughter was still in Chemo) all the grandkids kids have been back in school since September. I think the state is catering to the Wichita schools which the middle and high schools have been remote learning since last March.

On a side note I'm gonna be rich, I just got this email!!!

Very Urgent Attention,

Please permit me to introduce my self to you, I'm Mr. Mr Herbert Wigwe the
International Relation's Manager with Access Bank Nig Plc.
I hope you read this message carefully and
reply me immediately. Although we have not met before, but I suggest that
this transaction will bring us together. We have a customer, a foreigner
based here in Nigeria, his Name is Mr. Hamilton who based here with his
wife and two kids from Atlanta Georgia United State of America, he has
been our customer with our bank for the past 4yrs, some time August 2002,
Mr. Hamilton and family were on his way to their house, unfortunately
he ran into a Trailer load of Groundnut Oil, and all of them died.

The Board Of Directors and Management of Access Bank Nig Plc has mandated
me to look for Mr. Hamilton Creek relation/relatives or his next of Kin to
come and claim Mr. Hamilton's Fund, but all the effort could not yield and
positive result, I have contacted his Embassy and after 3days, his
Ambassador told me that Mr. Hamilton Creek has no relation and no next of
kin, their Ambassador told me that Mr. Hamilton used his first son as his
next of kin, but it is quite unfortunate that Mr. Hamilton Creek died with
all his family members

The reason why I contacted you is thus, Mr. Hamilton is dead, and his only
son whom supposed to inherit his properties and money also died with him.
As at this moment, nobody or person is coming to claim this money from
our bank. The board of directors and management of our bank has told me
that if nobody or person apply for the claim of Mr. Hamilton Fund, the
bank will return Mr. Hamilton's Fund into our Federal Reserve account

In light of the above I want you to stand/apply as the Relation/relative
of Late Mr. Hamilton Creek. I want you to act as the Hamilton's relation,
so that you will inherit Mr. Hamilton Creek Money which he deposited with
our bank, it might interest you to know that Mr. Hamilton has a
Domiciliary Bank Account with our Bank and he has a total sum of US$9.2M
Nine Million Two Hundred Dollars, this money is still in his account as
unclaimed money.

This transaction is very easy and simple, and it is 100% risk free, I'm
the Manager for International Relations with Access Bank Nig Plc, and the
Management and Board of Directors of the Bank are waiting for me to
provide to them the Relation or next of Kin to late Mr. Hamilton Creek, of
which I told them that I am still searching for the next of kin to the
deceased.

Finally, if you are interested with this transaction, I will present you
to the bank as the only next of kin to late Mr. Hamilton Creek, hence to
claim the funds. If this deal suits your interest then contact me so that
we can proceed for the transferring of the late Mr. Hamilton outstanding
funds into your bank account.

Feel free to ask any questions, we will share the funds when transferred
into your bank account equal

Thanks and have a nice day.

Friendly Regards

Mr. Mr Herbert Wigwe

NB: Please reply to my personal mailbox:

Too bad the return address doesn't match the sent from address. :(

Good morning all from south of Big D Texas where the sun is shining 🌞. Let’s see if we can get thawed out. Bright side of all this is that we are going to boost the economy of Texas. Millions of dollars of home repairs. Same with road repairs. We have been fortunate. Heard fan in shop making some funny noises and went out to check. Probably lost that little a/c unit. Use the fan only in the winter to circulate air in the shop. Now that weather is clearing we have to start thinking on how to reschedule our second vaccine.

FLO - coffee, biscuits, and sausage. And I have some syrup to go on those biscuits. Us po folks like that.

Good Morning All. Looks like cloudy and 13° right now. Should be our last night with the temperatures in the teens until next winter. It will still drop to just below freezing a few more times in the next month. We're still looking at upper 60's Tuesday and Wednesday next week. Then mid to upper 50's for a while. Very little of our snow has melted except off the roof. Some of that will change today as it shoots for 38°.
My wife and I are headed to Dallas to our daughter's house today. We'll be taking a bag of laundry and we'll be taking showers; the washrag thing is getting old! We'll return this afternoon so I can re-stoke the fire in the heater. I got into the car and drove to the mailbox yesterday (1.25 miles away), first trip since last Friday. Neighbors had already reported on the road conditions, good to excellent, so that wasn't any issue. I just didn't need to go anywhere! Our drinking water as well as the beer and wine is holding out; we could make another ten days of isolation if needed. It's unlikely that water is available anywhere right now anyway. I'm looking forward to Sunday when I expect to turn our water back on to see if there is any pipe damage. Since the freezing took place slowly while water was still trickling, there may not be too many issues if any at all.
I am not sure why some of the progressive areas of the state of Texas, like Austin and Houston area residents, were without power for so long. While we had rolling blackouts, they worked here. Anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour cycles for four days.
While we haven't received any notification yet for our second vaccine appointment, it is expected to be next week. When and where is not revealed until 2-3 days ahead of the time slot. Rumor has it that they are not going to use the very successful athletic field venue, but are moving it to Texas Motor Speedway instead. In my head I am trying to understand this, the athletic complex is much more centrally located and the entire area is paved. TMS is quite far from the city center, is not paved, and will have to be shared with Tarrant County (Ft Worth). There will be a whole lot more room there however. Oh well! At least that's looking up especially since it's the second dose.

Sausage, biscuits and gravy with a side of scrambled eggs this morning Flo.

Thanks once again for the reactions to yesterday's posts. I can't list all of them, but you know who you are.

No time in the train shed yesterday due to the rest of life getting in the way. I did have a chance to review some pictures from the archive to post here this morning. A little over 2 1/2 years ago, I built a Woodland Scenics kit of a County Courthouse. This kit is typical of small town courthouses/jails in rural parts of Texas.
06-24-18 014.JPG

06-24-18 009.JPG

06-24-18 011.JPG
06-24-18 006.JPG

And the roof.
06-24-18 015.JPG

Tom O - Nice looking boxcars. Do you care to name the friend in Ft Worth? I may know him from train shows/home layout tours. I found his website but it is vague as most are.
Sherrel - I'd take you up on the visit offer, but by the time we got ready, this mess will be long gone. It would take my wife a week just to find the "best" room for the night in between. You know, good rates, close to fine eating places, points earned or cashed in for extras, etc.
Tom -
I can't understand why the water dept don't have backup generators.
That's what many around here are asking. My guess, and it's not an excuse, is because it's a small rural coop with probably 50 small wells scattered about, that it's either been deemed too expensive or active members have voted it down. There's two different wells visible from my place which are only about 3.5 miles apart as the crow flies, but probably less than 20 customers in between. There's obviously more fanned out from the wells.
Our water company has some backup generators but they have to be manually turned on and by the time that they realized what was happening, it was too late, everything had already froze up.
Chet - Yes, the propane stove can and does provide some supplemental heat in the kitchen/dining area.

I am happy with some semblance of getting back to normal.
Everybody have a great day. After I return from Dallas, I will probably head straight north to Patricks so I can help him celebrate. Stay safe and warm.

Good morning from Wisconsin. The sun is back and we may hit 20 today. I did measure a part of the yard that has no drifting and the measuring stick said 26” of snowcover. Next snow event is Sunday with anything from 3-9” possible.

Yes to the Texas economy picking up. Terrible way to pump money in but it works. The son says he is ok without the sewers as the sewage utility is saying the sewer lines are frozen. He put a large bucket outside for his commode as when the snow melts he doesn’t want to have to pick it up from the ground. He is being emailed by the utilies that it maybe weeks before the sewers and water works. The thaw will cause mains to break 1st. He said one of his employees can build a shower in the shop and starts this morning for everyone to use. The shop is within the city limits. About 2/3rds of his crews are Austin residents but are just outside the actual city limits and have separate utilizes from the city.

Trains, having a really tough time doing anything this week.

Willie, Greg McComas he works for the BNSF and lives in Fort Worth, good guy.

To all, be safe
TomO

With the exception of the first quarter (when the local daughter was still in Chemo) all the grandkids kids have been back in school since September. I think the state is catering to the Wichita schools which the middle and high schools have been remote learning since last March.

On a side note I'm gonna be rich, I just got this email!!!

Very Urgent Attention,

Please permit me to introduce my self to you, I'm Mr. Mr Herbert Wigwe the
International Relation's Manager with Access Bank Nig Plc.
I hope you read this message carefully and
reply me immediately. Although we have not met before, but I suggest that
this transaction will bring us together. We have a customer, a foreigner
based here in Nigeria, his Name is Mr. Hamilton who based here with his
wife and two kids from Atlanta Georgia United State of America, he has
been our customer with our bank for the past 4yrs, some time August 2002,
Mr. Hamilton and family were on his way to their house, unfortunately
he ran into a Trailer load of Groundnut Oil, and all of them died.

The Board Of Directors and Management of Access Bank Nig Plc has mandated
me to look for Mr. Hamilton Creek relation/relatives or his next of Kin to
come and claim Mr. Hamilton's Fund, but all the effort could not yield and
positive result, I have contacted his Embassy and after 3days, his
Ambassador told me that Mr. Hamilton Creek has no relation and no next of
kin, their Ambassador told me that Mr. Hamilton used his first son as his
next of kin, but it is quite unfortunate that Mr. Hamilton Creek died with
all his family members

The reason why I contacted you is thus, Mr. Hamilton is dead, and his only
son whom supposed to inherit his properties and money also died with him.
As at this moment, nobody or person is coming to claim this money from
our bank. The board of directors and management of our bank has told me
that if nobody or person apply for the claim of Mr. Hamilton Fund, the
bank will return Mr. Hamilton's Fund into our Federal Reserve account

In light of the above I want you to stand/apply as the Relation/relative
of Late Mr. Hamilton Creek. I want you to act as the Hamilton's relation,
so that you will inherit Mr. Hamilton Creek Money which he deposited with
our bank, it might interest you to know that Mr. Hamilton has a
Domiciliary Bank Account with our Bank and he has a total sum of US$9.2M
Nine Million Two Hundred Dollars, this money is still in his account as
unclaimed money.

This transaction is very easy and simple, and it is 100% risk free, I'm
the Manager for International Relations with Access Bank Nig Plc, and the
Management and Board of Directors of the Bank are waiting for me to
provide to them the Relation or next of Kin to late Mr. Hamilton Creek, of
which I told them that I am still searching for the next of kin to the
deceased.

Finally, if you are interested with this transaction, I will present you
to the bank as the only next of kin to late Mr. Hamilton Creek, hence to
claim the funds. If this deal suits your interest then contact me so that
we can proceed for the transferring of the late Mr. Hamilton outstanding
funds into your bank account.

Feel free to ask any questions, we will share the funds when transferred
into your bank account equal

Thanks and have a nice day.

Friendly Regards

Mr. Mr Herbert Wigwe

NB: Please reply to my personal mailbox:

Too bad the return address doesn't match the sent from address. :(
Wow, what a deal. Just think of all the train stuff you can buy. Maybe even buy an inactive rail line and activate it!

Morning!
It's a beautiful day here at 20°F under a cloud insulated sky. Might even get above freezing, into the mid 30's.

Patrick - I'm so glad you are getting that money. Maybe now you can afford a camera and bring in some photos.

Willie - Good to hear things are improving down Texas way. I hope the sun starts shining down upon you and we are able to get more tomato stories. Or is it 'tomaato' down there. - Looks like it would be easy to spring ol' grampa out of the jailhouse if you had a chain and a pickup. It's a very nice structure.

BigG - The layout table looks very nice. Almost too nice to be scribbling circles on it. At first look, I thought that foam was arborite.

One Year Ago!! I took this photo of two SD40's that were used for local switching in the area:
IMG_8306 (2).JPG

Along with that photo, I took about a hundred other photos of SD-40's in the local area. I have good photo sets of 3-4 different ones, as they were traded out for servicing.
Guess what! There hasn't been any SD40's in town for about the past 3 months or so. Now CN seems to be using SD75-I's for the local switching duties.
I don't know if they got rid of the SD40's, or what's happened to them. Sure am glad I got all the photo's I did, though. To me, it's real and valuable history.

Have a great day, everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back