Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations, Sherrel!
Personally, I think grandkids are better to have than the kids. They seem more fun and arn't so much work. - Really happy to hear the wife is ok!!!

Yep, Hughie! That would be the rail bridge over the McLeod River. I'm still honored that the Gov'mt named a fine river after me ( other way around, actually)! Anyway, thanks for giving me a reason to repost my favorite rail photo that I've ever taken. It's this bridge:
View attachment 125418
I actually had that photo made into a framed 11x14, and it's hanging above my desk.

Since there has been talk about past A&W activity, as soon as I have time, I'll take a photo of the glass A&W gallon root-beer jugs I still have from the early 1960's. Dad bought them when I was a child, and I still have them.

Have a good rear-end of the Sunday, everyone!
Thanks for the picture. I can see why you'd want to frame and hang it up. I had a bunch of pictures of trains on bridges that I made into a screen saver. Now I don't use screen savers so I'm not sure what happened to the file. There is just something about a train crossing on a bridge that appeals to me, sort of like certain locos over others (RS3).

GUY -- I came to the realization quite a while back that Locomotives are naturally attracted to all poles!

1614553769523.png

Justin- There are many different ways to paint rocks. If the overall look of the rock is slate gray then you could take a 1" brush and paint them as your base coat. Then add in your other colors with a small brush for highlights. Lastly you can use an airbrush to blend everything and spray a dark tone in cracks and overhangs for shadow effect.
I definitely agree dark brown or thinned black for crevices, this is sawn foam
B43A5BFA-3FA5-4C5B-9082-BFD05774562B.jpeg

this rock outcrop is plaster cast modelled in tin foil that was crunched up part unfolded
4CE3A4B8-130D-4B4B-B499-5E6672ABB316.jpeg

these are plastercast sheets, look carefully and you see the give away pin holes where when the p,aster dries it draws back,much better when covered with real sand
E1F0925F-05BA-43F8-BB22-44DDF62D448A.jpeg

layers of cork then painted and varnished
C875B22D-E55E-4BA1-A9BF-7251B00FB4E1.jpeg

bought cork,now this stuff looks great but costs a lot and if in small pieces is hard to match up
D93A431E-1C3B-4A3C-8FC3-EE6D16766464.jpeg

plaster again this time on bought moods
52EFFA20-8B38-43A1-93E8-34D73FE1B276.jpeg

As you can see these are some of my ares on the layout, if I had your result I would be pretty chuffed

Attachments

• 421D9594-1357-4032-8888-8DCC605BEC47.jpeg
    421D9594-1357-4032-8888-8DCC605BEC47.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 150
Good Morning Everyone.......cloudy with light rain and ground fog. I'm glad I'm not driving down I-41 in this type of weather since I been there when the ground fog makes it almost impossible to see, yet the other drivers are still doing 60 mph or more. The highway has ramp gates to close the highway to traffic, but I've never seen it closed.

Yesterday, Cathy, Riley and myself met a relative and her new puppy at a local park. Riley likes other dogs and people and Riley's same size doesn't matter and she will greet dogs five times her size and four times as tall. Nice Spring like day.

Chet: I always enjoy your videos and especially the scenic areas on your and the the club's layout. Ginger looks happy with her new grooming. I plan to make some more videos with either my newer camera or Cathy's which is step about my in performance. The video I posted was my first and it had a lot of mistakes like the BNSF locomotive and the C&NW caboose. I'm not sure if U Tube is now charging to post videos and add music to your videos?

Jaz: a great job on the construction equipment. True to life weathering. You should do a video on your methods on how to weather the items.

Willie: You should post a video of yourself in that Tux and then when you were dancing at the wedding at 1:00 AM in the morning.

TomO: I like that power strip on your work bench. I have a two outlets attached to my bench and sometimes two outlets are not enough.

It's movie day at the household. I've picked out a movie about the Navy SEALS and it is based on actual events. Those SEALS are brave souls. I have a friend who was a Green Bret for four tours of duty in Vietnam. He lived with the various mountain tribes and taught the natives jungle warfare. He would spend an entire tour at a base camp. To this day he will not eat fish or rice!

We have a Dairy Queen in our town and the food and service varies with the seasons when the employees change. Some times the burgers are great and other times the burgers are bad. I stopped going there and limit fast food to the cabin. I like A&W Root Beer stands, their root beer and Black Cows now called "Freezes" a mix of root beer and ice cream. The A&W stands are becoming rarer and rarer. The one near the cabin has a 1950's interior and a vintage jute box. At home I mix milk with root beer and place it in the freezer to chill it to it's almost frozen. MMMMMM!

We have the garage guys coming Monday morning since we cancelled the last service call. Now the door will not open or close. They think it could be a bad sensor at the floor level. My last door didn't have those sensors to prevent the door from hitting an object or person.

Time to close......

Keep the photos and videos coming.

Greg

##################

View attachment 125411
The office and the entrance to the Omro Junk Yard. The building is an Atlas model with a metal roof and the sign's lettering faded in the photo. The caboose is ready for the cutting torch.
Love the rust effect what did you use,and was a brush dabbed again the sides ?

Good Morning all! 75 and overcast here in H-Town. Rain predicted tomorrow.

Jaz - Nice job on the heavy equipment. You seem to have an eye for detail.
Tom - Hope your right about the robins, there is between 30 and 40 in my yard now.
McLeod - like the bus. Is that a bridge behind the bus?
Justin - Rock work really looks good.

I did manage to lessen the severity of the "S" curve yesterday. The FEF-3 can now run the entire layout.

Archive photo

View attachment 125412

STAY SAFE

LATER
Love the water,love the white added for movement and lots of texture to catch the light,and the effect by the rock outcrop,yep love it

Made it back home from St George. Not including stops it is about 4 hours. A couple stops to relieve oneself and stretch the legs and for me the feet (getting cramped from staying in the same heel down position when I don't have the cruise on -- luckily the family / wife's Jetta SEL+ has the adaptive cruise and it works well).

Alas, while we were gone it snowed a few inches. Luckily it it was a light powdery sort and some kind soul in the neighborhood ran his snowblower on our driveway (which is just long enough to park a large car or normal truck (1500 short bed size, not mega cab length which will barely overhang the sidewalk) on between the sidewalk and the garage). They blew it all onto the walkway but I won't complain. Much easier to shovel some puffy snow off the steps than the whole driveway.

But it is cold again. St George was either 50s or low 60s during the day (depending on which day) and as low as 36F at night but some nights only low 40s. Here it is probably high 20s nights -- much colder when you get used to the warm "t-shirt" weather :)

I drank 3 16 oz bottles of Mt Dew (sugar free) going down and 3 coming back. My wife was complaining to me about drinking too much soda (we don't usually have soda at home except for special occasions) but the monotony of driving the freeway makes me tired and I tell her it is better to drink it and stay alert (as much from the act of drinking as from the caffeine I suspect). But it was good to drink a big glass of cold filtered water when I got home. All the yucky chemicals in soda (especially the sugar free ones) are not great for the body though they taste good.

Anyway, enough blabbering. I need to find the power strip I brought with us so I can plug my work laptop back in before it gets to 0% and then get off to bed. Hopefully the caffeine has started to wear off. We've been home 2 hours and the last few Mt Dew swallows I had were about 40 minutes before we got home.

Excited to get back to some train work this week. Try to make some of my wagons that have extra friction work better plus getting back to my throttle program I am writing. I had taken a break on it due to some temporary assignments at work that I thought were going to make me learn a bunch of new programming paradigms and a new language, but they've been having me research and write up the "stories" for things instead -- higher level than writing the code -- so I am getting back to my throttle. I worked a little on it last week. Basically trying to get the actual throttle back to the same functionality my test code had last Fall, but using the paradigm/code organization I want for the whole project instead of an older paradigm I just quickly used for my tests...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back