Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning!
It's very unusual for me to stay in the bed beyond 6:00am, but, I stayed in there today for a couple of extra hours. When I finally got up, I see that those horrific -30°F temperatures are in full retreat, and this morning is noticeably warmer at 3°. That's such an extreme warm up that it feels like a summer day!
I've read some sad reports of brutal ice storms to the south. Thoughts and well wishes are extended to those who are suffering! Look after yourselves!

Apologies, I don't even have a photo today. All I have here is a big mess as I try to continue with my layout room renovation. With all the crap and disarray laying around, it's hard to feel like I'm making any progress. - Feeling so blue over the cold spell wasn't helping.

And I received a new Genesis GP9 locomotive in the mail to show you, just haven't had the interest to photograph it yet. Hope that will be on for tomorrow.

Anyway, for now I'm just going to suck down a couple of hot coffee and read some posts. Catch you all later!

8:20am and 30F. Not sure if it is snowing now but it has been snowing off and on. My window well cover grates are covered in snow so I can't see out. Finally got enough snow to make for some accumulation. But only a few inches. Still have not needed to get out the wimpy electric snowblower or to try out the new battery snowblower. Forecast shows snow at 80% the next few days.

We've been spared the massive cold that the rest of you guys N and E of us seem to be getting. It may have dipped to the mid 20Fs this weekend in the middle of the night. This past night was maybe 28F.

View attachment 124842View attachment 124843
It's a cold morning here in Birmingham. I hope that you all are safe, well, and warm.

Nice pics Gary! I got a buddy that lives in Hoover. He works as an attorney in Birmingham, been there 25 years. He and I went to college etc. His 3 boys are my godsons. I frequent there every year. A lot history in Bham on RRs.

I'm back...

Been to the tire place and fortunately it wasn't a nail in either tire. When the put the sensors (stupid things) in the new wheels, they twisted an o-ring in the sensor of slow leak tire and apparently didn't tighten the other one properly enough that it took a little water and froze, cracking the replaceable parts. Both are now fixed. They did check the remaining 2 and they are fine.

I'll remove them like I did in the old truck once they die. They did have new dates on them, so it will be a while before they die. The one in my Equinox tell me which tire is which and how much air there is in each tire. This just indicate a low tire, only when the temps are below freezing\below zero wind chill and snowing sideways or when it's pouring rain in a lightning storm... That's my experience with them anyway.

On the plus side, the truck still looks brand new on the underside with no signs of anything but a little surface rust on the driveshaft. I'll probably take it over the 10,000 mile mark either later this week or early next week.

We had an ice storm late last nite and early this morning. Temperature is now rising steadily up to 35 F from 11 F I hope it gets warmer it's a real mess right now but I don't think it will make it. More snow coming my way and then drops to 14 F. We need the ice to melt other wise these trees are gonna start dropping ugh! Crazy weather up here in the northeast!

Supposedly I have a few packages coming in today from the USPS guys we shall see if they make it. The tracking numbers all say they are the hands of my area postal carriers this morning and out for delivery.

I worked on my train room briefly yesterday with the task of painting more brackets from the white to black. I have one more coat to do tonight. The I will install the rest either tomorrow or Thursday. Which will then finally complete all of the lower shelving. Next will be to install the LEDs then the valance in front of the LEDs. Which will go a lot quicker/easier. Once that's done I will install the upper shelves at a later date. The shelves are all ready to go and painted & pre cut etc.

Flo hot cider for me to go with a glazed doughnut!

Good morning from my portion of Wisconsin. 8f degrees with the wind chill only at -3 and the big orb in the sky is out to be seen.yea!

I have not heard from the son in Austin this morning who told me yesterday his electricity was shut off around 7am and still was not on at Midnight when we last talked. He was going to sleep in front of his fireplace. I was unaware Texas is not hooked up to the national power grid so the lack of power is their own fault. The southern half of Texas does buy power in the summer months from Mexico but they also were doing rolling black outs. What a unacceptable mess. Those transplants from California must be going nuts. Frozen power wind turbines I just don’t understand, we have them in Wisconsin and they don’t freeze up. Iced covered solar cells I understand which is why ours are on a fairly good angle and have to track the sun. The solar arrays I have seen around Austin are almost flat and not much chance to shed rain turned to ice or snow. They also do not track the sun.

Tonight I fly out to the 50th state. Stopping 1st in Austin to pick up the son and then overnight in San Francisco. We should be on Maui be noon tomorrow.

My vaccine shot today was cancelled. 2nd week in a roll the UWHealth did not receive their allotment of 3000 shots. I will get mine now on 2/28/2021. I hope. I still have to go to the Clinic as I have an Ultrasound every six months.

I doubt I will see the trainroom today.

Be safe out there
TomO

I have been a fan of Eric Brooman's Utah Belt since he first came into the recognition of the MRR world. He is definitely a master of many talents. I have had a few opportunities to purchase some of his locomotives but was not in position to afford the prices that they were fetching. Some of his locos went in the 1k range and higher. I was willing to drop 500 to 600 but not a 1k. Nonetheless there were a few people on here back in time that actually bought his locos. Anyhow cool video links!

I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I'm a follower of Eric Brooman and this video is the first time I saw an overview of the entire layout. The rock work is excellent examples of hand carving and coloring.

By the way, do you remember what manufacture(s) were the locomotives that Eric offerred for sale?

Thanks.

WARNING Will Robinson, warning!
(must be the cold?)
1613494929422.png

Well we hit -1 degrees this morning. Lowest ever in my over 3/4 of a century.
Willie - have you tried a hair dryer on the frozen pipes. As I mentione’d a day or two back our washing machine sits right on the exposed north wall. So far the little electric heater seems to be keeping that wall nice and warm.

Flo - I need a refill on that good hot coffee. No breakfast today as the Mrs. fixed us some ham and eggs.

We have been fortunate so far with no blackouts. May be because we live two blocks from City Hall and I am guessing we are on same power feed and they are considered essential.

Blessings and safety prayed for each of you today.

I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I'm a follower of Eric Brooman and this video is the first time I saw an overview of the entire layout. The rock work is excellent examples of hand carving and coloring.

By the way, do you remember what manufacture(s) were the locomotives that Eric offered for sale?

Thanks.

He sold a lot of the SD 50s and SD 40s that I remember. It is a mystery as to what the roster is now. I will have to research this a bit more. He used a lot of Katos and some Athearns and Stewarts. All very heavily modified and detailed/weathered. Also DCC.

I researched that he sold a GP38-2 that went for around $2500 bucks! But all of his sales come with a certificate of authenticity and letter and his signature etc. He's very thorough and good about that.

Its funny it's about time for MRR Magazine to do an update with him......although there was an article in Dec 2018 Model Railroader and it was the 45th anniversary of the Utah Belt.

The last update that I remember back in 2006 is that he bought a bunch of Kato AC4400W's.

UTAH BELT All-time diesel locomotive roster (through January 1, 1986)

Road nos. Quantity Model
1-5 5 SW1
10-14 5 S-2
20-24 5 VO 1000
50-59 10 NW2
700-714 60 FT
800-874 75 F7B
900-974 75 F7A
1200-1239 40 SW1200
1500-1514 15 MP15AC
1800-1839 40 GP9
1850-1877 28 SD9
2000-2041 42 GP38-2
2550-2584 35 SD35
3000-3015 16 GP40-2
3050-3087 38 SD40
3088-3146 59 SD40-2
3550-3569 20 SD50
3650-3673 24 SD45

Source: July 1987 Model Railroader page 53

Speculation:
3800-3809 10? GP50 (There was a picture one time with a fuel tender in between 3 GP50's)
3800-3819 20? GP60 (I think there was a picture with at least a 'teen' numbered unit)
3850-3859 10? SD60M (3 piece window)
4050-4059 10? SD70M
4350-4359 10? SD75I
4450-4459 10? AC4400 (I'd speculate that this should be at least 20 units for the roster)

Well we hit -1 degrees this morning. Lowest ever in my over 3/4 of a century.
Willie - have you tried a hair dryer on the frozen pipes. As I mentione’d a day or two back our washing machine sits right on the exposed north wall. So far the little electric heater seems to be keeping that wall nice and warm.

Flo - I need a refill on that good hot coffee. No breakfast today as the Mrs. fixed us some ham and eggs.

We have been fortunate so far with no blackouts. May be because we live two blocks from City Hall and I am guessing we are on same power feed and they are considered essential.

Blessings and safety prayed for each of you today.
These work well....

Frozen power wind turbines I just don’t understand, we have them in Wisconsin and they don’t freeze up.

It costs 5% more to make the wind turbines that keep the ice off the blades and they produce less electricity due to running the de-icers. If you're in an area not as prone why spend the money for less output.

Same reason I don't have a plug-in engine block heater on my gas engine. Not much needed in an area that rarely sees below zero temps. Our average is the upper 20's.

Starting to do the taxes as I believe I'll still get a partial refund this year.

It costs 5% more to make the wind turbines that keep the ice off the blades and they produce less electricity due to running the de-icers. If you're in an area not as prone why spend the money for less output.

Same reason I don't have a plug-in engine block heater on my gas engine. Not much needed in an area that rarely sees below zero temps. Our average is the upper 20's.

Starting to do the taxes as I believe I'll still get a partial refund this year.

Patrick, I was unaware of that and thank you for your explanation. The son called his mom because I was getting an Ultrasound and turned the phone off. She says he miscalculated how much firewood one can burn and ran out at 10 this morning. Still no electricity yet and local news says no one is sure when it will come back. So much for rolling blackouts. He is somehow going to get to the shop and grab one of the 2 generators and hook his furnace up. His mom said if the pipes blow, that’s what insurance is for. He does have the water shut off at the main in the yard. He’ll see me about 9pm tonight.

TomO

Good afternoon everyone! Slow going progress here as I had a hard debate on my plan, 22 inch radius outer run or 20. Finally bit the bullet and kept my track 4 inches from the layout edge. Keeps that safety margin and allows me to fit my tunnel portals in that my buddy built up. Ice storm here today and of course it’s shrove Tuesday (pancake day as well). Waffles for supper tonight for sure.

anyways only progress today is the slow gluing down of foam road bed. Tomorrow will be painting up our charity layout build and laying foam on the layout.

Attachments

• 2EA87999-F14F-47AA-BB76-02FDB9CF6422.jpeg
    2EA87999-F14F-47AA-BB76-02FDB9CF6422.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 114
Still have power, still have nat gas. Wife is running low on diet pepsi's though. I'll get out to the store tomorrow.

Positive vibes and blessings to everyone who is feeling winter's bite.

Here's what a snow shovel and an hour's labour can do to 11 inches of snow. Fortunately, I could move the parts in the long walk out the gate into the drive lanes of our neighborhood. The Condo managers have a second pass with snow plows to get rid of whatever we shovel from our patios and garage door humps.

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 2.26.17 PM.png

I know we're not into Bob and Doug McKenzie levels of snow, but the two big mounds on either side of the patio were what was left of the last two weeks. Now I just added another 11" and filled in the gaps.

Afternoon All,

Last night Mom went to the ER for some complications. Dad's there today and I'll be there tomorrow since she is only allowed one visitor per day (which really blows). I did some ballasting again today which turned out to mainly fix the lousy job I did yesterday. I did go by a health equipment co-op today that the Rotary Club in town operates and picked up a wheel chair for Mom. I just need to return it after we no longer need it.

Gary- Nice progress.

Tom- They look pretty darn close.

Karl- I'm glad you're healing well.

Garry- Safe travels.

Willie- Stay warm and I hope the damage is minimal.

gseritt- The only time I have driven through Birmingham was back in 76 on the way with a friend to visit his family in Anniston. I would imagine snow is pretty rare there.

Sherrel- It looks like 2021 is trying to outdo 2020.

TomO- I hope your son and family stay warm.

I hope everyone has a good night and stays safe and warm.

One of my daughters lives two blocks from a fire station in Richardson and they haven't been affected yet. The other daughter about 1.5 miles away has been affected off and on since about dawn today. We now seem to be in a 45 minute on/45 minute off pattern since midnight or so. I am more irritated at the water company who didn't admit the extent of the issue until late yesterday when it was too late for me to turn off the water and drain the system. I am already on my plumbers wait list even though I don't yet know if there are any burst pipes. I have something else for him to do when he shows up so it's not a wasted trip.
James - I have used those in the past only to have varmints (presumably rodents) eat through the insulation and the wiring, repeatedly.
Jim - I have a heat gun, more wattage than a hair dryer, but with 75' of piping under the house, it's a task only for the younger generation. The answer is drip the faucets which was working until the water company fell down on their job. I guess that the water rates will go up to purchase some backup generators like James posted.
We're up to 16° right now with more snow, no ice, in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow morning. It's about 120 miles away right now, expected to hit a bit after 4:00 pm. High tomorrow through Friday around 30°. Into the 60's starting next Tuesday. I have to keep my eye on the beer currently stored out on the porch.
Later gang. I am approaching my power on window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back