Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning everyone! Another beautiful day in the Maritimes today. Coffee is hot and will have bacon eggs and toast this morning.
Most importantly, does anyone here know Jerome (aka Wheeler) who hosted the count the trucks contest? I have not seen or heard from him now in two weeks, wondering if one of you know him personally ?

Wow, even colder this morning! Weather underground shows -36 degrees in Park Rapids, this morning. My outside thermometer is reading -41 degrees! When it's this cold and you get into your car; or, pick-up it's like sitting on a park bench when you get in. The cushions are hard as a rock and stay that way until the heater takes over. You all will ask me why I live where it can get so cold! The truth is: this is where I grew up, so I don't know know no different. The other thing is, most people will not tolerate these cold temperatures; so, it keeps them out of here and the population isn't very high here!

I remember trying to get my car; or, pick-up started when it was this cold and it was more miss than hit with starting! Now, with electronic ignition and fuel injection, starting a vehicle this is no longer a problem!

Flo, I had oatmeal yesterday. So, I think a nice stack of Hot Flap Jacks with Hot coffee and Hot bacon. Make sure everything is HOT!!!

Last edited:
Good morning y'all. 33, feels like 27, and raining with possibility of frozen mix. Today is a great day to be a duck. Since I am not, I will have coffee Flo, and be in there corner catching up.

I'll be back for breakfast after the coffee works.

This is what rain and 31 looks like, in case anybody’s been living on a tropical island their whole life:
04A1FFA8-7D36-478E-8E4B-BDAD24180254.jpeg

The power has "blipped" several times this morning, but has stayed on, other than those occasional flickers.

Last edited:
Morning!
We have -24°F this fine Saturday morning with a wind chill making it feel like -34. On the bright side, though, the May green-up is only a couple months away. Immediately, it's reasonably cool:
FrozenPump.jpg

Just dropping in for a coffee and toast. I have plans to continue on with my layout room reno today. Yesterday, I didn't do diddle! Just pasted my nose into a PC screen. So, I'd better get on with it today.

Have a good one!

Morning!
We have -24°F this fine Saturday morning with a wind chill making it feel like -34. On the bright side, though, the May green-up is only a couple months away. Immediately, it's reasonably cool:
View attachment 124727
Just dropping in for a coffee and toast. I have plans to continue on with my layout room reno today. Yesterday, I didn't do diddle! Just pasted my nose into a PC screen. So, I'd better get on with it today.

Have a good one!
I like your invisible car. is that Klingon or Romulan cloaking technology?

Ok, time for breakfast. And more coffee!

Flo-I'll have a couple of waffles this morning with sausage and bacon, hash browns, and a couple of scrambled eggs. And send a plate of bacon over to Sherrel as well. I saw how he was eyeing mine yesterday and I don't want to selfish with it.

McLeod- That was quite the fortunate occurrence you had, not every day you catch the invisible man fueling up his car. 🤣

Terry- Looks an awful lot like my view this morning. My yard is soup.

Today's photos describe a tank-car make over that I would like to attempt.
I have 3x of these Walthers Trainline BCOL tank cars, all the same road number. These were purchased due to a more reasonable price compared to the more appropriate tank cars:
View attachment 124677
I would like to convert them all into something that looks similar to this:
View attachment 124678
The biggest issue that I see is the short dome height of the Walthers car. My plan is to cut the dome off an old Life-Like tank car, and fit it onto the Walthers car to raise up the dome; if it fits.
I'd also like to change the ladder and break wheel on the model car. In my mind, doing all that would bring it fairly close to a good conversion.
Might just be a dream, but, I don't much like the high prices demanded for new, quality tank cars. So conversions might be worth the effort.
Tank car modeling is almost a sub-hobby. There are many different types that carry different commodities. Like you, I started on a conversion of the Athearn tanker. It's dome is too short as well. They used the same tooling for their three dome car. The triple domes meant less room for expansion of the contents than the single dome. I have a photo of that conversion around here somewhere!. There's a really good book on tank cars by a fellow named Kaminski put out by Signature Press if you're interested enough. It's still in print, but like most railroad books, a bit expensive. It's worth it though. My copy has served me well. See it here: AFC Tank Cars SigPress (signaturepress.com)

If not, Tony Thompson did a series of tank car modeling projects on his blog which can be found here: modeling the SP: Search results for tank car

Tichy makes a really nice tank car detailing kit with two different domes that may assist you. You can see it here: Tichy Train Group 3007 HO Scale Tank Car Detail Set 1915-1950 54" & 60" Domes | eBay You can order that right from Tichy. I have. As you may have seen in other Coffee Shops, I got hooked on Tangent tank cars, which are beautifully done, but at $50.00 a copy shipped, a bit hard on the wallet! Keep us posted on your project Photos please!

Oh, yeah, I found that photo so you won't have to search back through several months of coffee shop threads! Here ya go! I'm also trying not to wreck the existing paint!
IMG_2665.JPG

shredded hash browns, toast, ham, sausage, eggs (over medium), coffee & tomato juice is what I need to start this day, thank you.
what the start of building that R17 looks like. only 400 more pieces to go ! the P38 I got from the *bay*, hard to find one of these
then a sunrise & set. the cooldest I remember was about -50 C I refused to start truck, commute 1hr this about 15 yrs ago

Attachments

• IMG_1118.JPG
    IMG_1118.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1119.JPG
    IMG_1119.JPG
    594 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1121.JPG
    IMG_1121.JPG
    476.2 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1109.JPG
    IMG_1109.JPG
    432.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1113.JPG
    IMG_1113.JPG
    903.9 KB · Views: 112
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 16°, but no precipitation this morning. I slept in late because the bed was really nice and warm. I'll be back in a little bit as my wife and I are having a discussion regarding turning off the water and possibly leaving for a few days. Preventative measure against pipes freezing up. It's about the only instance where a pier and beam foundation is a negative in this part of the world.
Stay warm and have a great weekend.

OK - I am not going to complain about weather ever again after seeing what the majority of you are dealing with!
Around here this day it is 43 heading up towards 64 degrees under mostly sunny skies.

Our rainfall yesterday totaled 0.04 inches bringing us to right at 1/2 of our average for the year.

FLO - Just coffee at the moment and I'm going to go sit in the corner with Jesse -- He may not miss a strip or two of his bacon if I am fast enough??

LUV dem Tank Cars!

Well folks around here are suffering with our 20s weather. Earlier this week there was 6 killed and 36 sent to hospital in a 100 car pileup in Fort Worth. Then 3 were killed in pileups in Dallas. Last night a Fort Worth police officer was killed while assisting a motorist when someone slammed into the back of his cruiser. Please remember all of these in your prayers.

FLO - coffee and two waffles - one blueberry and one buttermilk. Oh, and can you rush that coffee so that I can catch up with my friends on Running Bear.

Nothing much has changed here , expecting 1-4 " snow single digits Monday night . The ground has finally frozen so I expect travel conditions to be difficult more ice and sleet expected today and tomorrow , still have the ice from Thursday .Snow possible as far south as Brownsville.

Wind chill expected in the -15 range .

Right now the air is saturated with moisture( can barely see the next ridge 3-4 miles. ) the trees are full of ice and wind is starting to blow.
Going outside is like trying to take an ice water shower inside a freezer with a fan blowing across a block of ice ...while fully clothed. You go sit in the refigerator and close the door to warm up .

Anybody want to buy a used glacier?

Good morning from the Jersey Shore, where it is a cloudy 28°. Later we are supposed to have Mixed precipitation and Ice, through mid morning Sunday.

I have not been myself, lately. Both the wife and I have been under a great deal of externally driven stress, some of which relates to health issues and the frustrations of the now year long Covid sequestration. Again this morning, at 0500, the wife attempted to obtain appointments for us to receive the first dose of the vaccine, with no success.

Later this morning, I received a message from the NJ Department of Health, telling me I'm registered and that I should be patient, and they will notify me when it's my turn. What I found interesting was a new statistic that they introduced. They were bragging that for next week they will provide 142,975 first doses and 111,675 second doses of vaccine in the state. Sounds impressive, right? Keep in mind, that New Jersey is very densely populated state, and there are 21 Countys. in the State. Considering that everything here "has to be equitable", that works out to 6,808 first doses, and 5318 second doses of vaccine. per county for the entire week, or 1361 first doses and 1024 second doses per day. Further divide this into multiple distribution centers per county, it's conceivable that each location has but a hand full of appointment available on a given day...:mad:
Governour Knucklehead's designated Covid Vaccine Czar, has really dropped the ball on this.

On the Railroad front, Yesterday evening the USPS delivered a parcel from Trainworld. (Only took 3 days to travel from Brooklyn to Central Jersey, a nice leisurely walk,eh?). The package contained two BLI PRR P70r coaches, (Ice AC), for $168, (shipping included). Have to test them out today. This may kindle my interest in working on the Passenger Terminal I have been considering on the other side of the layout. [ The reason, I elected to re-work the module at the opposite end of the layout, was to give me a runaround to facilitate return moves by locomotive powered commuter trains. RDC trains don't need runarounds, but the cheap PRR preferred to continue using steam heated coaches instead of more efficient, self contained RDCs, ].

Since I'm not going anywhere this weekend, I plan on spending time in the train room.

Grays Ferry Yard 1950s.jpg

This is a photo of Grays Ferry Yard in Southwest Philadelphia, during the 1950s. The photo comes from the national Archives. I worked there in the late 1960s I don't remember the two crossing diamonds on the lead. The PRR yard office is where the cars are parked. The Reading Agents office is to the left side of the Photo. [ If I had the room, Grays Ferry would be the logical extension of my Essington Module, but due to the lack of space, the two Grays Ferry yards are not represented.

Exchange Place - Jersey City NJ 9-02-1954 Slide provided by Al Chione.jpg

MP54 EMU cars awaiting the afternoon rush at Exchange Place in Jersey City, NJ 9/2/1954. Photo by Al Chione, contributed by Thomas C Ayres.
The Woolworth Building stands out in the background behind the MU set on the right.

Howdy ...

Checking in by cell phone again while visiting in FL Panhandle. It’s still cloudy and rainy here most of the time.

We will decide when to drive back home in western KY with consideration for weather conditions.

I have read through your posts and everybody seems very active. That’s good.

Have a good day.

Morning all! Can I get a big, steaming bowl of CHILI this morning. 38 and feels like 31. A brisk, cold North wind. Even the dog hides when I ask him if he wants to go out.
Boris - I like that Grays Ferry yard. Makes me feel better with the diamond on my layout.
Willie - We're on a slab so that helps. But draining won't help me. I have a low spot that can't be drained. Fact is it actually burst in 1989 during that freeze event (11 days below 32). At the moment predictions are to remain below freezing for 2 days.
With a predicted 8 degrees it is rumored some of the chemical plants and refineries are shutting down in order to drain water lines. What a lot of people don't realize is that we don't see those kind of temps very often. Homes, businesses and plants are not built and insulated that way. It's a cost thing..
So with the cold I guess some modeling will get done.

Good Morning Gentlemen
46* here and the drizzle is over and the sun is trying to peek thru. Havn't had a lot of free time lately but I have been scanning the pages here and as usual, lots of good pictures and of course, sometimes a little sadness. Little time in the trainroom as I have been replacing some of the rear fence (still) and I took down 6 dead oak trees, 30-40' high and up to 16" trunks. I have a friend that lives near Virginia City, NV that will be coming over for the free firewood. See pics as proof of my reason for ignoring the trains. I have become 2-blocked (crane operator lingo) on the layout and need to regroup. I was told, I should have had a plan whatever that means............. Anyway, a couple pics and a short U-tube video of my 2-8-0. Sorry about the "cheesy" whistle sound.. Also, me & my tender got our 1st shot yesterday.
NP 2-8-0 #1246 - YouTube
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0576.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back