Running Bear's February 2021 Coffee Shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning gang
5 am and dark here in central Absurdistan. I'm coming to you today from the 3rd floor of Carroll county general hospital where I have been a resident since Wednesday. I would have checked in earlier but it was all I could do to follow aling and like the appropriate posts.
For the last 2 years I have intermittent bouts of cellulitis in my right leg, 1 toe seems fine then out of nowhere a wound opens. Monday it caused a fever to spike and me to get violently sick, Tues I felt better, but could only keep Gatorade down, 5 am Wednesday wife took me to the ER and they took blood, swabbwd my nose, urine samples, x rays, and asked me so many times what my name and D.O.B was I started to ask them if they wanted my drivers license # too. Yesterday I finally met with the podiatrist who informed me that the offending germ was not only in the flesh, where it is easy to kill, but also in the bone of the 2nd toe, right foot. Much harder to kill in the bone. Treatment options were as follows. Either 6 weeks at home wearing an IV bag, or amputate the toe to the 2nd knuckle, and be home 2 weeks. 6 hours later I was in the OR getting it fixed. I can walk on it, with very little pain. I should be home by lunch today!
I'll be back!
Praying for your speedy recovery

WOW, KARL - that was not expected? Stay warm and rest! Pray that - that is the end for that problem!

Morning All -- I've joined the ranks with PHIL it seems? Just in a FUNK lately.
It's too beautiful out to do anything except take the pups out and let them enjoy the day. Yesterday was 73 degrees today is forecast for 74 under sunny skies.

I am checking in just to let you know that I am following all the great photos and posts although I am not acknowledging each and every one. Keep em' coming.

Youngest daughter is due in March - our 8th grandson - no girls allowed! She is having some medical problems at the moment and just may have to stay in the hospital until the baby is born. We should know more in a couple days?

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and 38° at this location. Looks like most of Oklahoma just north of here has light rain, but it's been staying on their side of the border. The local NWS is continuing their dart game here, although their forecast for the big chill is looking better. It changed from yesterday, it's still coming but now they're saying that it won't last as long and it won't get quite as cold as originally forecast.
Yesterday wasn't a great day on the home maintenance front. For a couple of weeks I had noted some minor damp spots around the outside of the house. It wasn't a fresh water leak, as I watched the meter to check that. Wasn't sure that it wasn't rain dripping off the roof. So I removed some of the underpinning to take a look underneath, and immediately spotted the separation of the sewer line. Yuck!. Thirty years ago, I would have been under there and fixed it, but these days I no longer go under the house or on the roof, per the wife's request. At 3:00, I contacted a local plumber; he came by after his last job of the day around 7:30 to have a look. Shook his head and said that he would be back around 10:00 this morning, and would have it fixed in an hour. That included digging an access trench to get under there and I presume removing or just moving the sludge so he could work. There's actually a lot of room under there, nearly 28", but the edge of the house is only 6" off the ground. I am still not believing my luck that his response time is so great!
My wife went back to work full time at H&R Block yesterday. I originally thought that she would finally retire and stay home with me. But she decided that with the initial Covid vaccination and with the pandemic precautions that Block is providing, she could manage OK. Many of her "big" clients are already scheduling with her, mostly dropping off paperwork and only returning if something else is needed or the return is completed. Despite many of them being reasonably well off and having complex tax returns, most of them are totally illiterate with regards to sending information electronically.

I'll have an order of scrambled eggs with a healthy side of "not burned" bacon today Flo. I hear that Mel's been overcooking it lately.

Thanks for the comments and likes regarding the crossing signal project yesterday; Gary, Patrick, Tom O, James, Joe, Guy, Chad, Hughie, Justin, Rick, Tom, Dave, Lee, Curt, Troy, Sherrel, Ken.

Frustrating day in the train shed yesterday. I don't seem to be able to get the crossing signals to operate quite correctly. They work flawlessly with southbound trains, exactly as designed and quite realistic. They are only operating sporadically with northbound trains. Engines, cabooses and some boxcars are recognized by the sensor in that direction. Some boxcars, all tankers and most covered hoppers are not recognized. I have adjusted the sensitivity of the two of them up and down in various combinations with only limited success. Just haven't hit the sweet spot yet. The same trains work in the opposite direction and different trains get the same results of spotty activation headed north. I need to play with this some more today.
No new pictures today, so let's look in the archive to see what I was doing in April 2015.
I was apparently setting up some scenes in a still unnamed suburban neighborhood.
04-02-15 006.JPG

04-02-15 003.JPG

04-02-15 004.JPG

This is on the back burner for now since the scene is in the middle of a totally unfinished part of the layout.

Troy - Hope that the back gets better soon so you can get back to the layout.
Tom O - The 12 commandments are quite fitting. #'s 2, 9, and [13] hit especially close to home for me.
Those WC freight cars look real tempting, but unfortunately came too late for my railroad.
Garry - I know that I would be welcome to your layout, you have invited me in the past. I was actually asking tongue in cheek about having to wear a mask if we both are fully vaccinated.
Curt - The substation came out very well. No, unfortunately there is no bell with the flashers.
Alan - Really great looking walls. The welding shop will fit right in with the rest of the O'Neils complex.

Man, you guys in the Midwest and Northeast try to stay warm and watch your steps with the snow removal equipment. Don't lick metal flagpoles.
Everybody have a great day. Stay well.

Last edited:
We will just start calling you strike through Willie, it doesn’t bother me though.

I went out and dug around the office mailbox this morning, that’s an hour gone from my life. We need our mail at the office, at the house
I could care less if we got any mail. The snowblower is still laid up at the shop. Based on our negative temperatures we won’t get many flakes falling from the skies this week.

The 3 WC box cars are gone. I will put some more duplicates on FB and here to sell.

Greg, r u getting my email replies?

Tomo

8C39024E-DE69-41B3-9A61-C7EF9E2E6F3C.jpeg

Tom- Where I'm located in WNY I'm north of Buffalo. They are getting blinding lake effect snow now and sunshine here. The wind has to blow almost due south for us to get it here. I get lake effect and or lake enhancement off Lake Ontario. There are times that when a storm passes just right with the counterclockwise rotation the storm will get moisture off of both lakes (provided Erie isn't frozen like now) and dump a lot of snow in a short period.

Afternoon All,

Only I accomplished today in the train room was painting detail parts. There are 6 hand pumps with buckets and 8 pallets. I received several parts that were already painted and decaled. I washed them first in JAX Pewter Black and then various paints. In the case of the pumps I painted the bases grey and dry brushed metallic copper craft paint on them. I can see it visually but it really didn't show up in the picture. The pumps are tall enough that I don't need to build a base for them. The wheel cleaner came in today so tomorrow is wheel cleaning day.

Thank you all for the likes on the photos yesterday.

TomO- That photo is scary to a Southern boy.

Willie- Nice photos. Could the problem be the overhead lights brightness and pointed direction. I've had those issues with IR sensors.

Sherrel- Praying for your daughter and future grandson.

Lee- Thank you. I love the woody and of course the Merchandise service cars.

IB Ken- Nice photo.

Alan- That looks great and nice videos.

Justin- Nice video.

Karl- Very sorry to hear this. I hope you get well very soon.

Gary- Nice looking box car.

Guy- Nice looking construction equipment. Won't the heat from the soldering iron melt the white metal?

20210206_132046_resized.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

On a real downer at the moment ...
Just learned that:
Daughter will be hospitalized until the baby is born -- or something worse happens.
Doctors (more than one) are afraid of seizures, kidneys, and a host of other things that could happen
due to her diabetic condition past and present!
Sure didn't need this going on!
Only one person a day can visit her - and once you leave the hospital - you cannot go back that day!

Good Afternoon Everyone.....another cold, but not as windy day, but tomorrow promises a Weather Wind Chill Warning will be posted since the WC should be under -20 degrees.

Today was work on taxes day and figuring out my RMD for this year's taxes and also work on the 2020 taxes. I was missing two tax 1099-R's that I knew I received but couldn't find, so that ate up most of the morning. Of course...Cathy found one of them in under five minutes. The other I found after lunch exactly where Cathy found the first document. I itemize my deductions and the Med's are the most detailed to document.

Taking a break from Turbo-Tax and piles of paper.

Again lots of great photos in the Forum from the group.

Sherrel: Hope your daughter's condition improves in short notice. Hospitals are the worst places to rest and improve, but the food is even worst. I was in the hospital for an extended stay and in the early evening Cathy either brought me food or we ordered delivery chicken or pizza to the room.

Willie: In your posted photo, did the couple's action on the porch lead to the church steps???

Time to run....

Greg

###################

Last edited:
Good morning gang
5 am and dark here in central Absurdistan. I'm coming to you today from the 3rd floor of Carroll county general hospital where I have been a resident since Wednesday. I would have checked in earlier but it was all I could do to follow aling and like the appropriate posts.
For the last 2 years I have intermittent bouts of cellulitis in my right leg, 1 toe seems fine then out of nowhere a wound opens. Monday it caused a fever to spike and me to get violently sick, Tues I felt better, but could only keep Gatorade down, 5 am Wednesday wife took me to the ER and they took blood, swabbwd my nose, urine samples, x rays, and asked me so many times what my name and D.O.B was I started to ask them if they wanted my drivers license # too. Yesterday I finally met with the podiatrist who informed me that the offending germ was not only in the flesh, where it is easy to kill, but also in the bone of the 2nd toe, right foot. Much harder to kill in the bone. Treatment options were as follows. Either 6 weeks at home wearing an IV bag, or amputate the toe to the 2nd knuckle, and be home 2 weeks. 6 hours later I was in the OR getting it fixed. I can walk on it, with very little pain. I should be home by lunch today!
I'll be back!
Karl, that hurts just to think about.
Good luck with it.

Howdy ....

First of all, I won't be here very much for the next week because we will travel to be with relatives in Alabama and Florida Panhandle. I won't be on a computer, but I will sometimes check in via iPhone . We leave early tomorrow morning.

Karl .... I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. Prayers for you.

Sherrell .... I'm sad to read about your daughter. I will pray for her too.

I like seeing everybody's photos and reading your posts.

Everybody ..... have a good night ....

On a real downer at the moment ...
Just learned that:
Daughter will be hospitalized until the baby is born -- or something worse happens.
Doctors (more than one) are afraid of seizures, kidneys, and a host of other things that could happen
due to her diabetic condition past and present!
Sure didn't need this going on!
Only one person a day can visit her - and once you leave the hospital - you cannot go back that day!
Praying for your Daughter

Good morning gang
I'll be back!
Karl - THAT sure came out of left field! I'm adding you to my prayer list. My 25y/o daughter works as an RN at CHC; I texted her as soon as I read this to see if you might have been on her service, but she told me she works on the 4th floor - not the 3rd.

Glad to hear you still have your mobility. If you'll be home for 2 weeks, maybe you can get some mrr time out of that...[?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back