Running Bear's February 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers! Been too busy to post anything useful here lately, only had time for lurkin' and Like'n...

Garry - will add you to my prayer list for your eye upcoming surgery.

BBob - I wish you luck with your moving challenge, been thru that pain too many times myself! I'm hoping I can spend at least another 20 years in my current house, before age leaves me crippled.

Sherrell - about the KCS FP9 in the photo you shared: Is that an active unit in revenue service, or was it rebuilt and repainted by a group of museum volunteers? Just wondering how those letters got stenciled on there crooked, I don't think a railroad exec would tolerate an "image" train with that type of flaw...

Other than getting my taxes done on Saturday, I've been spending every minute of free time in the trainroom these past two weeks. Long story short, I made an uncorrectable mistake on the area where I'd applied my most recent batch of static grass, so I had to rip it all up and start over. I'll share the gory details of that debacle in a separate thread when I can find the time.

Aside from that: Does anybody here know how to contact the people at Tangent Scale Models? There is no link on their website with a phone number or email address. I need to find out if they are actually going to do another run of their I-18 caboose in B&O colors. I didn't even know about this model until a week ago and by then they were all sold out, and I'm feeling the Remorse of the D****d over missing out on it. They still have a few undecorated kits available, so I may have to put my layout project on hold until I can get one of those, and assemble it and paint/decal it myself. I'm not having any more op sessions until I have one of those I-18's on my roster!

Good night y'all...

I haven't seen several of them. Got to start watching WKRP in Cincinnati (this version has *most* of the original music) and Tour of Duty. The latter is the Australian edition and has *all* of the original music (remember, the show's title theme is the Stone's "Black is Black"); a Region 0 DVD player cost less than the boxed TV series did.

Watching Youtube on TV: EASY! Sign into Youtube, hit the square with an arrow sticking out of one corner, and tell it which device you want to watch on. This assumes you can stream via Firestick, Roku, etc, or have a smart tv. If you don't, you're screwed. (It's odd that I can say screwed, but not f*d. They mean exactly the same thing.)
We use our PS4 for watching Netflix, YouTube & MLB App.

Mark Twain said "Part of the secret of success is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."

Called the taxman Saturday and made an appointment, so I have been scrambling to find all the papers needed to put the figures together for income, expenses, and charitable contributions.
Can I count advice and comments on this forum as charitable contributions? Some folks would only allow me to deduct $.02 worth.

Finished staining and varnishing the dresser today and cleaned the drawer hardware tonight. Looking for a couple inches of rain tomorrow afternoon, so I need to paint the hardware early in the morning. Something always seems to be a higher priority than modeling this week.

Good Morning gang!
A one-day weekend (had to w*rk Saturday) went too fast, (need coffee) but another load of stuff did go to storage, so I got some more of the garage back. Not enough for another car but enough that we can now walk comfortably around the Impala as she hibernates.
I did manage to get to the workbench for a bit last night, got a few things knocked out.

IBKen, no op sessions til you get an I-18?? Are you trying to tempt me to find one?? ;)

L8ter gang!

If you are gonna tip your waitress, be a gentleman and stand her back up for the next guy!

Aside from that: Does anybody here know how to contact the people at Tangent Scale Models? There is no link on their website with a phone number or email address. I need to find out if they are actually going to do another run of their I-18 caboose in B&O colors. I didn't even know about this model until a week ago and by then they were all sold out, and I'm feeling the Remorse of the D****d over missing out on it. They still have a few undecorated kits available, so I may have to put my layout project on hold until I can get one of those, and assemble it and paint/decal it myself. I'm not having any more op sessions until I have one of those I-18's on my roster!

Good night y'all...
I'll shoot an email to David, and see if he has any plans for them.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 42°. The elusive 75% chance of rain is not happening here. Must have gone with the 100% chance of 6" of snow last week. Still in the forecast until Wednesday. Temperature won't return to the 50's until Friday. I need the rain now since I planted all of those onions Saturday. Uneventful day planned for today, a few small household tasks and then more time than normal in the train shed.

A couple of over easy eggs and a handful of bacon over here this morning Flo. Make that a double handful of bacon. Does anyone ever get tired of bacon?

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the grain elevator/grain bin kits; Jim, Bob, Sherrel, Karl, Jerome, Joe, Chad, Tom, Chet, Johnny, Curt, Phil, Ken.

Made a bunch of progress on the grain bin, almost completed it, just need to add the roof vents (supplied) and a roof hatch (not supplied).
02-10-20 001.JPG

Here it is with the elevator etc tentatively in place to ensure everything fits as intended.
02-10-20 006.JPG

Next is the hard part of installing all of the piping. Before I permanently attach everything, I will finish that materials yard located behind the mill.
On the other side of the elevator building, I added fine ballast for the remainder of the parking area/driveway.
02-10-20 002.JPG

Now I can move over to the Majestic Hardware & Feed to complete that part of the scene.
02-10-20 003.JPG

Finishing this 7' x 2' area will be a major accomplishment for me. So far it has gone relatively smoothly and I look forward to having such a large area completed from fascia to backdrop. Citizens are next.

Greg - It is interesting how they build those grain bins from the top down and jack them up. It's safer that way with the workers always on ground level.
Bob - I observed long ago that getting friends to help you move almost always involved beer. ONLY at the destination though. :)
Willie- That grain bin looks familiar, only it has has bigger pieces than mine did!
Switch to HO and resolve that!
Curt -
I was changing the outlets and toggles because MOH decided she wanted them in Ivory color...need I say more?
Been through that before, except ivory to white. Only half of the house though.
Ken -
Long story short, I made an uncorrectable mistake on the area where I'd applied my most recent batch of static grass, so I had to rip it all up and start over.
That doesn't sound good.

Everybody have a great day.

IBKen, from Tangents web site,

ICC B&O I-18 Steel Bay Window Caboose
SPECIAL NOTE: While we have some SKUs still in stock, portions of our first run of cabooses have sold out faster than intended. We will release a new run of cabooses in 2020 so please be patient and watch our website and newsletter for our next “spot release.” And for those customers that have ordered cars from us, please understand that we have a long queue of orders to process but your order in progress!

Sounds to me like you need to get on that list!

Good morning, America. Get me a coffee to go, Flo! Got to make this quick!

Bob - I observed long ago that getting friends to help you move almost always involved beer. ONLY at the destination though. :)

Switch to HO and resolve that!

Just remember, Friends will help you move. Real friends will help you move dead bodies! Got too much money wrapped up in N scale!:eek:

Morning all,

All by myself in the IT side of the city this morning. Took a bit to get caught up.
With my birthday coming this week, I ordered some stuff I need from Model Train Stuff, so once it gets here I can finally rewire properly my blocks (still on DC). We discussed getting a DCC started system, but I have too many locos I need to get completed and running to make DCC a viably option at this time. I still think even with DCC, blocks are the way to go.

I did start to print the additional parts of my tower, but messed up the specs so I have to re-slice them. Slicing software takes the 3d engineering and converts it to a printable file. Every time you want to change the way the printer output looks, you have to slice the file. Since the printer belongs to the kid, I have to work around what he's working on.

Over the weekend the shoulder seems to be getting a bit better and have the post surgery appointment tomorrow on the CT stuff. Hopefully I can get back to the layout sometime this week.

Burlington Bob: The particular part I pictured takes a little over an hour and a half to print.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back