Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoot, that's lightly weathered! Like Boris said, pinching pennies. When they're in the paint shop or getting washed, they aren't on the road generating revenue! Also in the 1970's businesses began being responsible for runoff from their facilities, and the oils & grease in wash water were a problem, so treatment facilities had to be installed. This meant washing of locos and rolling stock was done at fewer places and less often.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I got really busy in December an the last week before Christmas. Not much time to post and not much time for modeling either! I did manage to get all the Christmas shopping done in time though. Merry Christmas to me!
GP-9 Commute.JPG

And more Tangent tankers!

Tangent tankers.JPG

Shoot, that's lightly weathered! Like Boris said, pinching pennies. When they're in the paint shop or getting washed, they aren't on the road generating revenue! Also in the 1970's businesses began being responsible for runoff from their facilities, and the oils & grease in wash water were a problem, so treatment facilities had to be installed. This meant washing of locos and rolling stock was done at fewer places and less often.

I agree with Boris’s comment but this actually makes good sense.

TomO

As I said in another post Canada closed all it's horse racing tracks a few days ago. Why stop all these people from earning a living.
1. There's no one in the stands.
2. The people who take care of the horses still have to be there.
3, The jockeys and drivers still have to work out the horses.

So the only time there's some kind of close contact is during the race. In the starting gate or passing another horse on the track.
There's way more contact in the store buying food.

That means no purses, no betting, no one getting paid. All because you might get the virus passing another horse on the track.
Don't make sense to me.

George

Good Morning Everyone....cloudy and seasonal here in this part of Wisconsin.

Christmas is over and we spent a quiet day at home, not even any telephone calls. It's amazing how much clean up work we (Cathy) had when we had the family members here for two days of Christmas. I can't imagine the work Cathy's Aunt had to do on Christmas Day she had 22 people seated at the main dining room table and the kids, all eight in the kitchen at a round table. The dining table had water, wine glasses and decanters all different expensive crystal that she found at various rummage sales, but all the Spode dinner and solid silver ware were all matched. She had her close family members over on Christmas Eve for dinner and then everyone on Christmas Day. She was a interior decorator and the house looked like an upper end Christmas Shop with all the original, many antique pieces of Christmas decor, several Xmas trees and the 150 candles burning on the main floor. Fires burning in the two fireplaces.

Things I recall best is Cathy's Aunt made two very large turkeys and beef roasts for dinner, we were all family and then Cathy's Uncle made some very strong drinks using top shelf liquors. The family is smaller now and the Aunt has since moved to a very nice Condo, but still it's decorated for Christmas even with the Aunt pushing 84 and the Uncle at 89, but still looks like he's 60 years old.

Movies this afternoon, so no trains. I was going go to Walther's, but my plans have changed. I want to built some small wooden structures for the layout and I want them to look old and abused. I want to spend some time looking at Bar Mills and Walthers to see wants on the Market.

Tomorrow I'll work on taxes. Even with the receipt's from the drugstores I make a separate spread sheet to indicate my mileage to pick up the drugs as well as going to the doctors. Every deduction counts!!! Our company did audits every several years and preformed in-between surprise Operational Audits which focused mainly on my areas of responsibility, so I'm careful in documenting every piece of information for income tax returns.

Cathy gave me a Walther's Gift Certificate and it's burning a hole in my pocket. Speaking of burning....One year I got a $150 Certificate from Walthers and the next day I couldn't find it so I thought I burned it in the fireplace with the gift wrappings. On my next visit to Walther's I explained what happened to the manager and the manager reissued the Certificate for me. In those days the Certificates were all hand written and no way to trace them. I guess I have some 40 plus years of actually shopping at Walthers.

Hope everyone has had a nice Christmas and enjoyed the Holiday.

Back to you later.....

Greg

######################################

1609002106083.png

The day after Christmas......-Greg

I did venture out, masked up and alone, to see if that blue CN locomotive was still in town. It was!
Happily, I was able to get numerous photos of the engine as it was parked on a siding, and nobody around. It was even parked in a favorable spot for photos. A Christmas gift for me. Here are a couple of the photos:
View attachment 122359

That locomotive is a GE C40-8W. Why it is blue is unknown to me. I'm very happy I was able to photograph her, though. Posted some of the photos on rrailroads.net, in an album I have there.

From a thread on redit:

StickShift5
These were lease engines built to Conrail specs (and painted Conrail blue) and splits between Canadian National and Conrail. After the Conrail split, CN wound up with some and the rest were split between CSX and NS (I think).

Growing up right next to the Conrail tracks near Elkhart IN, I said... that looks like conrail blue

That particular loco seems to be nicknamed the "blue devil" according to the interwebz

Afternoon All,

Started out the day soldering the track joints and feeder wires on the incline for the coal trestle. After that I painted those rails (along with a black wash) and the recently completed reverse loop (right side), then I soldered the feeder wires to the buss and tested. After that the boss decided I needed to assume my chauffer duties and drive the boss to 3 stops. I have some stick on rock sides for the inclines (I believe from Chooch) that I hope to attach tomorrow.

Thank you for the likes on the previous photos.

Jerry- Nice 1:1 photos.

Greg- I have the Walthers version. I really like their looks and mine runs great. For some reason that long hood reminds me of a 50's auto.

Garry- I am very sorry for your loss of your friend.

Tom- Another nice weathering job.

Sherrel- Cool looking Mallet. I love the large tank on the front.

Troy- Nice looking F7 set.

Gary- Nice train gifts.

Terry- That video is amazing.

IB Ken- I'm glad your sister only had a 2 day stay. We keep hearing nightmare hospital stays on the news.

Guy- Nice dirty looking locos.

Mikey- Nice shower curtain. My wife said no!:confused:

Joe- Interesting info and photo.

Alan- Very nice.

This is what I received for Christmas.

20201225_121636.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

thumbnail_FB_IMG_7156374508487437380.jpg

My apologies for being late. I have been busy with many things going on.

For my wife's Christmas present, she wanted to go to Florida to see her cousins that she had grown up with. They are getting fewer and fewer.

I was busy getting presents to the grand kids and going to my son and daughter in laws for a nice prime rib dinner. The dog hit the jackpot as the prime rib was bone in and she'll get to enjoy the bones.

I also was able to find another dachshund to be a companion for the one we have. She has been a little lost soul since we lost our last dachshund and an additional wiener dog should be good company for her. Spent hourw on the phone over a couple of days locating one to rescue or adopt. We didn't want a puppy as they can be quite expensive with some breeders wanting up to $3,000 for them. We located a part time breeder who helped us. She knows an elderly lady who was looking for someone to take her 3 year old female doxie. The price was right. Just the gas for the trip of around 120 miles.

Again, Merry Christmas to all.

Later

Well good Evening to everyone. Christmas dinner has subsided. Returns are in order. Weather is great as long as you didn't get a sled for Christmas. Spent the day under the train table. Wired up all but 1 turnout (26 out of 27), came up short 1 controller. Ran a few engines through layout and turnouts and worked alright. Did find a couple of places where I need to add feeders.
Received a Kato FEF-3 for Christmas from a grandson. Anyone got some info about adding a DCC decoder in one of these?
Christmas gift 12-25-2020.jpg

Good evening, right now it's 26° over at the Rutgers U. Weather station, and 27° at Belmar - Farmingdale Airport. Haven't checked my sensor on the front porch yet.
Curt : Good haul.
Hughie; Nice steamer.
Chet: Best of luck with the new Doxie!

Spent considerable time working on the module this afternoon. I challenged my inner Bob Ross, to improve the sky blue backdrop on the Essington module. There were several points where I was ready to give up, and get the blue paint out to cover the disaster, but somehow, it seems to have worked out. I also used more ground cover and trees. No, I still haven't attempted the static grass...maybe tomorrow....

R&A 12-26-2002.jpg

Well, I managed to convey depth and distance, with close up flora...oh, WTF. It looks like early fall which is pretty much what I want... Now, the warehouse looks too clean... BTW, both boxcars are lightly weathered BB box cars, with Kadee scale couplers and Intermountain 33" wheels.

Have a peaceful evening.

MIKEY- DEB says "COOL" I can get one. So I need to know from where we can get it. HELP !
Phil
Phil- my daughter told me that she just "googled" train shower curtains and got several pages to choose from.
Between my wife and two daughters, I got a total of 4 curtains. I'll have to get pictures of the other 3 later.

I had very long day today. My wife has back and knee problems so we started looking at cars today with easier entry and exit. I was surprised at the offer we were made on a new 2021 Hyundai Tucson. I was kinda sad to leave my 2008 Equinox with 81,647 miles on it. But, I will get over it.

Hiya Shop Dwellers, it's 28*F and clear with a 5mph WNW wind in my neighborhood.

As always, I do appreciate the "likes" people leave on my posts - even when I don't have photos in them!

Morning!
Guess I'm going ice-fishing again today, in the 22°F cold and a 6mph breeze from the NE. I have to do what the boss wants to do on her time off.
I really need her to discover a time-consuming indoor hobby. As I age, my interest in standing on wind swept ice get's less and less. - Ice-fishing is her favorite winter pastime, though, so I must follow.

Thank you for the likes on my recent postings.
Found myself coming into the shop to see what was happening more than what was necessary. A result of the isolation during lockdown, with rules the wife and I are following for our own safety, and others.

I did venture out, masked up and alone, to see if that blue CN locomotive was still in town. It was!
Happily, I was able to get numerous photos of the engine as it was parked on a siding, and nobody around. It was even parked in a favorable spot for photos. A Christmas gift for me. Here are a couple of the photos:
View attachment 122359
View attachment 122360
View attachment 122361
View attachment 122362
That locomotive is a GE C40-8W. Why it is blue is unknown to me. I'm very happy I was able to photograph her, though. Posted some of the photos on rrailroads.net, in an album I have there.

Well, the wife is pushing me to make a move. So I gotta go!
Have a wonderful boxing day!
Guy - great photos of #2456! If you were to share those images with the Athearn Genesis folks, I wonder if they would produce a model of it, like they did with the NS heritage units? People seem to like the "oddball" models...

Karl - Kinda scary about that turkey buzzard attacking Bud! I wonder if there was already a dead animal in your backyard that it wanted, and thought he was "competing" for it?

. . .
IB Ken- I'm glad your sister only had a 2 day stay. We keep hearing nightmare hospital stays on the news.
. . .
Curt - luckily, my sister's hospital visit wasn't worthy of media attention (lol)! The virus is gone from her bloodstream, now she just needs time to recover from the damage that was done to her lungs.

Chet - glad you found a companion for your doxie!

It's been an incredibly busy 36 hours since my last post. All the young'ns came over and after the gifts were exchanged, I wound up with some interesting things in my "stocking". The two highlights are: (1) a power tool to help me redesign my benchwork...
CordlessChainSaw.jpg

Haha J/K! :p ;):D Seriously, this will enable me to cut up all the fallen branches on my property. I hate using gasoline-powered chain saws because of their deafening noise and having to mix oil with the gas. This cordless one will be a lot quieter and cleaner.

Turns out, I DID get something mrr-related: a $100 MB Klein gift certificate from my 25yr-old daughter. I used it to beef up my roster of Tangent 8000-gallon tank cars with two more like these:
Two8000galTankCars.jpg

I ordered #'s 13901 and 13926. All of them will be in dedicated service to deliver diesel fuel to my engine terminal. The two in the photo don't seem like enough for delivering a couple days' worth of fuel, four will look much more convincing.

Once again I'm up way too late! I'll be on vacation for all of the coming week, so I can [hopefully] gradually readjust my wake/sleep cycle before January 4.

Wow!

It seems everyone has been good this year and Santa paid ya'll a visit! 😂 😁 Ho Ho HO!

A lot of nice stuff! Wowsa!

He didn't skip me. I have nothing to show as my sisters and parents got me gift cards to Lowes and Home Depot. They know I am a practical guy and I have many projects going on. So I am very happy to get those. Some of the cards will go to home improvements and some will go towards the train room. In fact I bought some shelving standards today from Lowes for the train room.

Tomorrow I will do a little bit of painting in the train room and in between that I have to clear out my other man cave which shares space with the laundry area. (washer machine/dryer etc.) The laundry area takes up about 30% of the space. This room is about 15x20. The rest of the space is for my fishing gear/work bench. I do repairs and build custom flies and fly rods. Just a mix bag of stuff fishing related. The rest of the gear in the garage in stall #2. The garage stall #1 is my actual tools and work shop. I do not park my truck in the garage. When I add the extension for stall #3 then it will go there. So back to the fishing man cave. After clearing everything out I will be laying 24"x24" tile down. That won't take too long. I just need to get it done as I cannot stand looking at the retro 70's linoleum lol. Next will be placing tongue and groove rough cut oak on 2 walls with grey oil stain.

So hopefully I will get more of my orders in Monday and Tuesday for the layout. More buildings and such. I snagged some good deals on code 83 track switches which will be here soon. I also won (3) bulkhead 60' flat cars by Roundhouse new old stock. I always thought these had great detail. They will go in a fleet of (16) that I currently have so that makes (19) now. They are all Roundhouse too. The cool thing is that all the road numbers are different so no work needs to be done there. Just weathering and loads. I will post the (3) flats on the RPO thread.

After I do the minor painting (mostly touch up) on the walls above the sky blue around the layout I will install the standards and shelving brackets. I will also be painting the shelves black before installing them. I will post the progress on my thread for JR's UPPR.

Getting back to being cold again. We had 53 -54 degree weather the last 3 days. Lots of rain and all that snow is almost gone BUT tonight it dropped to 18 degrees. So tomorrow there will be lots of black ice and ice all over the place. It will be mid twenties all day too. I burned wood all afternoon and tonight which will continue through tomorrow.

I hope to sneak a peek on the Greenbay Packer game for a little bit while working on these projects. I have had a hard time not following my Packers as I do not condone the politics the NFL has infused in the game as of late. From what I hear it has calmed down a little bit. eeeh! Life goes on.

Well I should have lots to report this coming week as I am off until Jan 6th. I actually went grocery shopping this morning to stock up in case we got another storm etc. I didn't want to go out in the chaos. I am gonna make another run to HD and Lowes tomorrow for more supplies. Good thing they are across the street from each other!;)

OK Mr. Sandman is hitting me I will make one more post for the RPO and head off to bed. Ya'll take it easy.

Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back