Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. 17 degrees to start off the day and we might make it up to the freezing point later today.

Terry
- Glad to hear that things went well for your wife. With all of your visits from Murphy, it's nice to see something go right for you.

Tom - Good luck with getting the locos MU'ed. With all of my knowledge of DCC I am lucky to get the locomotive ente3r3d on the controller and get it moving. I will probably run into a problem next spring getting all of my F-7's moving in the same direction. Those hoppers are looking good.

Bob - Nice shot of that F unit. Also like that little switcher.

Beady
- Sorry to hear about the greedy sister in law. Many times the true person comes out in situations like this.

Curt - A dead riding mower ?? Now is probably the beat time of the year to look for one.

Greg
- A petting zoo is somewhere my grand kids should visit. Did that pass out any adult beverages for you???

Willie - Nice photos. With your talent I'm sure that you could integrate that crossing into your layout somewhere.

Right now I am pretty well spending a lot of time in the recliner like Terry's wife doing what I can to keep the leg elevated. That's the best way to get it comfortable. I haven't worked up the courage to try to get down to the train room so again here are some photos from the archives.

Here's an RDC returning from West Yellowstone entering the Logan Yard and dropping off passengers at the stations.

thumbnail_20190831_150756.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_122528.jpg

thumbnail_20190831_154623.jpg

Later

Bob One thing nice about being in a club you can run whatever era you want. :)

Chet I MU all the time I'll have 3 MU'ed on one controller (digit traxx) 2 on another for coal drag. When I pull the 2 helpers up I MU then to the other controller (steal) and then I have 5 on one controller.

Afternoon All,

Started out doing chores then we were having intermittent power issues with the stove (again). I checked the plug I put in a couple of days ago which was OK. I was scratching my head wiggling the cord to the stove and I saw a flash of light. I took off the stove cover on the back and one of the leads had come loose (retaining nut fell off somehow). I reattached the lead and everything worked again.

I started taking apart the layout today. I removed trees, track detail parts, fencing, vehicles, and people. Tomorrow I plan on removing plaster stone faces, large rocks and start packaging the buildings. After that signaling and electronics and finally trackage.

Beady- I hope your wife feel better soon.

Tom-Nice weathering job.

Bob- Neat little loco.

Willie- My family knows how picky I am when it comes to my layout so I just get gift cards.

Chet- Nice RDC shots.

Jerome- Nice looking tower.

20191229_144112.jpg

20191229_144121.jpg

20191229_144522.jpg

20191229_144540.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Packers WIN....23-20 a few tense moments at the final seconds in the Greg@mnrr household. Waiting for the Mrs. to bring up a trip to Lambeau Field. We been to several playoff games there as well as the NFC game when the Pack played North Carolina and when we arrived in Green Bay it was -8 below zero. Beer froze in the cup!!!

Chet: Great photos of the Budd Rail Car. I just really like the sound of the RDC's. Great running models too.

Curt: Did I read that you dismantling the layout?

Back to football.

Greg

######################

Last edited:
Good afternoon. I'm currently running a dedicated unit ice train between our ice maker and the ice water pump...
Been there, done that, have the trophy! Hang in there. I found that if I only filled the machine 2/3 full, I could go back and add more ice as needed, thus lenthening the time between emptying the water out. I would also take a two cup measuring cup to partially empty it each trip.

Photo of a Pyrocumulus cloud, taken from a Qantas domestic flight on the 20th, over the Blue Mountains to the West of Sydney, NSW. These clouds form over the fires on the ground beneath and become dry lightning thunderstorms, increasing the likelihood of more spot fires ahead of the main wildfire/s
1577679510686.png

Video of how they form

Rainy and 44. Insomnia has not been a problem for the last week or so. Most of the Christmas visitors have departed, all except SIL who, it turns out, brought the Norovirus to half the family. Wife is better, so we're heading down today to help with the packing up. There won't be a funeral, rather a memorial in the spring; BIL will accompany the body to the crematorium this afternoon to make sure it's the correct body. Sometime soon, we'll be going through all this again with my mother. It's a good thing I don't believe in hell, because I'm almost looking forward to it. This has been exhausting.

866cc7cf46c493f710d9636cd86ce482ecada9b9.jpg

Good Morning All. Clear and 33° in this part of the world. Rather pleasant weather in the forecast for the next ten days with the lows hovering a bit above freezing and the highs ranging from mid-50's to lower 60's. Sunshine every day except New Year's Day. My kind of January weather.
Looks like the Eagles eliminated the Cowboys from the playoffs yesterday. I didn't watch any of it, but my wife was miserable afterwards. Hope that your team (if you follow the NFL) did well. I am surprised that Louis hasn't chimed in on the Ravens season.

Need a hefty breakfast this morning Francine. How about three of those sausage, cheese and egg biscuits with some extra bacon on the side.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding yesterday's photos; Phil, Jerome, Bob, Chet, Hughie, Tom, Sherrel. It's great to see everyone else's Atlas tower models, which pretty much all of us have done.

Things are still pretty much status quo out in the train shed. Haven't quite found the modeling groove yet after the sporadic holiday visits. Mostly ran trains and picked up tools and scenery supplies had that ended up scattered about. Read last months MRR finally. Primed some white metal castings of tools that I found in the detail box, that I will use in the hardware store diorama. Ultimately I will be using a lot more detail parts than came with the kit because I want it to be a focal point on the layout.
Speaking of focal points, here is one of many, while not my favorite; it is right up there near the top.
12-29-19 003.JPG

And a view from the other side.
12-29-19 004.JPG

This is one half of a DPM Gold Series kit called Emery Lane. I now have some flowers to add to that brown spot between the walkway and the porch which I will add in the upcoming days.

Curt - I would usually prefer gift cards, especially in this case. However, on the other hand my grandsons do a great job of shopping for my gifts. They usually come over about a month before Christmas and scope things out and then go to the LHS to see what fits. They picked out the crossing signals, streetlight and overgrown garden that I posted last week.
Ray - Pretty neat cloud picture. Stay safe down there.

Today is National Bacon Day. Bacon today in the Coffee Shop is on me.
Everybody have a great day and an awesome week, short one for many. Not me, as I no longer get holidays since retirement is 24/7.

Good Morning from the West where it is 41 degrees working up to around a 59 high. Looks as if the skies are mostly high cloudy - and the forecast rain for today will mostly miss us this go around.

Willie - like the farmhouse and garden. You can add a lot of interest in the parking side of it too!

Beady - You have been on a roller coaster lately - hope that things settle down for you.

CURT -- Dang -- shocked and sorry to see you dismantling your layout ... that cannot be fun!

On the homefront here - Have not heard a word from the Appliance Repair on the parts for the dishwasher ... starting to wonder if I should have replaced it?
I have to leave the house in an hour to head to Riverside for a sonogram on all my vascular plumbing joints. I guess they want to see that they are all still together? I think if they were not then I would have known about it, or maybe - then again, I would have NOT?
I wish the Packers would get it together -- scared the heck outta me yesterday before finally pulling the "W" into their column near the last few minutes!

Later, troops -- I'm not supposed to have even a tablespoon of liquid ==pretty hard to do for someone who cannot think without a good dousing of coffee in the morning.

Good morning everyone. Yes, I'm back. Haven't been able to read all the posts since Dec 20, but I will later. It's 32 and cloudy here. This week will see warm temps in the days, into the 20s and 30s at night. Flo, I'll take a big cup of coffee, a chocolate croissant, and some scrambled eggs and crisp bacon. Thanks.

What's going on here, anyway?! 68 on Christmas day, 67 the day after, with blue skies and sunshine - actually went outside and split logs for the fireplace with just a short sleeve shirt on both days. It was great, though, with family over for Christmas breakfast and dinner and presents.

IB Ken, Tom, Flip, Patrick, Garry, Jim, Sherrel, Alan, BBob, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for your comments and likes on my last post, which was over a week ago.
Terry - Prayers for a quick recovery for your wife.
Beady - Sorry to hear about your wife's norovirus - prayers for her, too.
Chet - Glad you had that problem treated fast - prayers for a quick recovery.
Curt - Nice photos of your layout.
Ray - Interesting photo of the cloud formation and the fires. Hope the fires stay far from you.
Willie - That's a nice scene you created with that Emery Lane house. Gives me some ideas for something similar on my layout.

Okay - here's the requisite photo of my model railroad-related Christmas loot:
Christmas2019.jpg

Everybody got into the act: wife, kids, and even in-laws (they gave me the book). The church has already found its home on the layout, and the potatoes freight car is now part of a consist. In-laws also gave me a pin to put on my hat or vest, but forgot to get it into this photo. I'm a jigsaw puzzle nut (no snide comments, please), so I'll look forward to working on this one over the next couple of months.

Have a good day, everyone.

Good morning all. Sunny and cool 52, predicted to get to mid 60's. Thank you to all for the likes.
I'm waiting to hear from Broadway Limited on how to mu their locos with a Digitrax controller
I had to take my little buddy to the vet this morning and leave him there. Some kind of bowel issue. It amazes me how attached we can become to our pets. Should know something later today.
Linus Railroading.jpg

Good morning. 12 degrees to start the day off with a high predicted in the upper 20's. Thought I would hobble into the computer room and put my 2 cents worth in. Can't sit upright in a chair for very long with this crappy leg. The most comfortable position is in the recliner laid back with a heating pad under the leg.

Ray - Those are some impressive photos. We are also in an area that can have some pretty bad wild fires. Back in 1988 when Yellowstone Park had their bad fire we had heavy smoke for weeks as the park is only about 50 miles south of us to where the fires were. We also had another about 20 years ago on the foot hills right to the south of us and we could watcher the slurry bombers and helicopters dropping water. US-191, the main north-south highway which travels to West Yellowstone was also closed for a week. We had to go through three road blocks to get home with the highway shut down. Hope they can get that blaze contained.

Texas Hobo
- Sure hope the vet gets your little buddy healthy soon. I know very well how you can get attached to your dogs. They're more than pets, they're family.

Johnny -
Nice railroad haul you made there. That is a good book you have there.

Willie - Nice job on that little home. Again, adding a lot of details to your layout. Sweet.

Curt - I am so sorry to see you taking your layout apart. A major BUMMER. Must really hurt. I will probably have to do that some day. Being that you are packing everything up, I assume that you will be building another layout, probably bigger and better with all of the skills you have picked up building this one. Any chance of you posting your cab ride video on this layout again??

Terry - Hope your wife is doing alright.

Karl - Great photo. That Atlas tower was one of their better offerings. A highly detailed building at a modest price. I, Like Greg and Jerome, also have one. The second one painted red is a wood kit.

thumbnail_20191230_085700.jpg thumbnail_20191230_085635.jpg

Sherrel - Still waiting on the dishwasher?? Now that Christmas is over, maybe you can check out the appliance stores and play "Let's Make A Deal". Might be worth the effort.

Still don't want to take a chance on the stairs down to the train room, so here is my favorite little consolidation heading out of the Logan yard.

thumbnail_20190419_103109.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103208.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103305.jpgthumbnail_20190419_103410.jpg

Gotta head back to the recliner and get the leg elevated.

Later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back