Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 34° and clear with a modest northerly wind of 10 mph, at least it's down some from yesterday's 20-25 mph. Slightly less than .5" of rain in the last 48 hours. Pleasant temperatures into the 60's every day in the ten day forecast, with no rain in sight. Wife returned home yesterday afternoon so we will do the postponed grocery/beer trek this morning. We'll probably also visit the wine store to stock up for the holidays.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I ran trains and inspected some more freight cars with better results. I also spread some more ground foam along some of the ROW between the main and a passing siding. Managed to take a few pictures of one freight that I ran. Here is an intermodal freight pulled by a pair of GP60M's with a GP60B sandwiched in between.
12-14-18 011.JPG

12-14-18 012.JPG
12-14-18 008.JPG

The engines are all Athearn which I have not attempted to add any details to yet.
OK, a short break is needed, see you all soon.

Back again. Where did I leave off?
Erik -
Coming to the busy end of a busy week. Taught my last class for the semester yesterday, and students' final projects are rolling in. I'll be spending the next week grading them and compiling semester grades. Plus today I have two writing projects of my own to finish.
I am sure that you will be glad to get through the next week and get back to trains.
Garry - Good to read that you are back home safely.
Chet - Congratulations on the winnings. That will buy a lot of beer, not so much for trains but they will be around longer.
Not all of the drooping couplers were problems, yet! Many were borderline per the gauge and I was just being proactive in taking care of them. If I have the car at the workbench, I take the time to fix all that ails. Derailers are taken care of immediately while this inspection process catches many little things including missing or broken parts.
Terry -
We closed that forum a year or so after his passing.
Thanks for the information. Proboards still shows the title which made me think that it still existed. Was it archived anywhere that you know of?
Mark - I got the cynicism in the original post. We're just playing with it.
what is the weather, where ever we are?
In your case it's 22° and clear with light winds below 10 mph. Should be getting light already.
David - Get well soon.
it's pretty hard to forget as he died around 5 a.m. on the morning of my birthday, I was born at around 1:14 a.m.
You're a lot younger than I thought!:cool:
at least it keeps the living room area at about 60 degrees
Brrrh! That's a bit cold for indoors. My wood-burning stove is the only source of heat for our 1500 sq ft house. Since it is enclosed burner with a controlled air draft, I can regulate it readily. While the room that it is in is sometimes in the upper 70's, the rest of the house stays at 72° - 74°. I do have to use a 6" room-to-room fan to blow heated air down the hallway to the bedrooms occasionally when the wind outside is severe.
Regarding the couplers, the grade crossings are beveled and at the correct height but the couplers are the culprit, so it's better to fix them rather than build in forgiveness elsewhere.

RIP Jeffrey Scott Wimberly. You have been missed by all of us here as well as your many followers on the many other forums that you contributed to. Jeffrey Wimberly obituary.
Prior to his passing, my wife and I were planning to stop and visit him on our next trip (scheduled for about eight months later), for vacation on the Alabama Gulf Coast. The route that we take on IH 49 passes about 40 miles east of Leesville, which itself is a very small community in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately our communications with him stopped around Thanksgiving week prior to his passing.

Moving on again. Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend.

I can smell it brewing! I was asleep up in my Coach seat, where are we now and what is the weather, where ever we are?

We have just left Bayone, and are approaching our destination, Jersey City, where we will transfer to the ferry crossing the Hudson River toward Liberty Street Terminal in Lower Manhattan. Please check the overhead racks and be sure to take your personal belongings, and as always, Thank You for choosing the (Jersey) Central! The outside temperature is 47° and we are in a dense fog.

BTW, the smell you noticed is coming from Standard Oil of New Jersey's Bayone Refinery, blended with the smell of roasting coffee beans coming from Maxwell House, in Hoboken. The foggy atmosphere has a tendency to blend and hold industrial aromas.

Boris

Last edited:
Good morning .....

Remembering Jeffrey Running Bear (Dr. Frankendiesel) today. Four years since he passed away. ... His friendship, sense of humor, creativity, and resourcefulness are fondly recalled. I remember he had his own paint scheme for his kit-bashed locomotive creations. He had a lot of fun with his model railroad. He was proud of his Native American heritage and sometimes shared some of it with us. I miss that guy.

Good Morning all!
46° with constant rain, boooooring at work, watching the cars go by.
Went to IBKen's last night. Got to switch out the a.m. trick at the Ford Plant, turned out to be more fun than expected. BTW I did advise him that he was missed here.
Willie The warbonnets look great!
(Even if they are the wrong color but that is coming from the slanted point of view of a D&H fan)
Later gang!

Good morning again, I feel a lot better after getting some protein in me made a pancake smothered it in peanut butter and then topped it with pancake syrup. That makes my leg muscles feel a whole lot better.

One thing I haven't heard anybody mention is that it Bill of Rights Day also!

Boris: Thanks for the narrative of bringing us into Jersey Station in dense fog.

Willie: Grest looking Diesel lash-up and nice looking layout!

Jeffrey old friend: We lost you way too soon!!

Now I'm feeling very relaxed and tired, see you all later.

I'll take about a gallon of that coffee - you guys are gonna have to wait till they brew more!
Been absent for a few days due to some "bug" that decided to give my innards a workout.
Finally woke up this morning feeling weak, thirsty, and hungry.
Supposed to be 74 here today - and so far looks like a mostly clear day.

Got the truck back yesterday. The freeze plug was replaced after one motor mount was removed to get to it. Mechanic said that he is off to CABO for the next two weeks, so for me NOT to break down again during that time. I told him that I could make no guarantees!
I could have bought Willie's GP's there - all three of them! I think Murphy has moved in - Terry's been pretty quite lately?

I wasn't too much active on the forum at the time, but I too miss Jeffrey and his posts. He had a rough landing. Last night I read several pages of posts from the MR site - he really touched many lives going around the bases!

Boris -- Great story you related to Mark there! Spending a lot of time in the "Big Apple" during my working days - I can relate very well to the places and smells you mentioned.

Willie - Great photos of your locos!

Good morning Everybody!

Busy day yesterday, I was working around he house, still working on Christmas. Than I got a message from Amazon. I ran a block for Amazon. I don't know how delivering 22 packages makes them so happy, but I did it.

Yesterday morning my youngest daughter asked me "why do you do so much for Christmas?" I could write a book answering that
Here is what I told her;
1. I love Christmas.
2. The people who raised me made a big deal out of Christmas. They did not have room for a lot of stuff, but their Christmas spirit was over flowing. I'll never forget it. I want my grandsons to have those kinds of memories.
3. I can, I'm supposed to be dead, but I'm here! Christmas is my chance to show God I appreciate being here.
4. I make a big deal out of Christmas stuff, but it's not about stuff.

Prayers for Advent are more important than the candles.

Christmas trees and presents are fantastic, but gathering the family around them is what makes them special. We could do without the tree and presents if need be, but we can't do without our family.

Lights and decorations show our love for Christmas, but we can do without them as well. We can show our love for Christmas through our Christmas spirit and our love for our fellow man.

I could keep it simple and still have a great Christmas.
1544889991508.png

There is a lot more to it, I could go on and on, but right now, I have things to do, because I want too!

God Bless Us Everyone.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAVID!!! :)

I was looking for a birthday picture for you when I ran across this old girl and I thought you might enjoy seeing it.
1544891009413.png

Enjoy your day my friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back