Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Erik, when I was in the Navy I remember alot of times when I got frustrated with the hurry-up-and-wait phenomenon. But I knew that was my only way of [eventually] getting a college education, so I learned to live with it.

Erik - May this bit of frustration be the worst he encounters on his journey of life.
Wishing him the best with Prayers and Blessings.

Phil

Was it the 4460 that had SKF roller bearings, or was it the 4459?

4460 has Timken roller bearings, not SKF.
4460 was the engine used for the final official steam excursions, and finished its excursion career with about three days left on its boiler certification.

I told the wife, The snow blower is very hard to start for the first time, it is impossible to start at anytime without gas.
She said she would remember that and remind next year.

Ohhh! And that she will. Mate of mine does voluntary work for the PCYC (Police & Citizen's Club). He maintains their mowers and such, had one he'd o/hauled not long before, wouldn't start. Thought it was a fuel issue. His wife kept telling him "it's the sparkplug" He told her "no, I just replaced it". Finally to make her happy (shut her up) he did so. Started first try. I told him, if he lived to a 150, that would come back to haunt him.

Hello Coffee shoppers! Where did the summer go? I'm freezing and it's only............mid November....:confused:.....already?......wow! Time's-a-flyin'.....he he! :cool:

gs-5_eng_side_zpsaaedwh9y.jpg

gs-5_fire_side_zps1uridiav.jpg

gs-5_specs_zpsir3crt7k.jpg

The two GS-5 locomotives were actually the last two engines of the GS-4 order, but because of their roller bearing journals, they were designated as Class GS-5.* They were identical in design and construction to the GS-4 except for being a little heavier.* The GS-5 units were 110 feet 2.25 inches long and weighted 882,800 pounds fully loaded.

Why roller bearings on only these two engines?* As the story goes, the president of Southern Pacific Railroad wanted two of the new GS-4's being built equipped with Timken and SKF roller bearings to see how they work out.* Both GS-5's were equipped with roller bearings on all of the journals of the engine and tender.* Number 4458 was fitted with Timken roller bearings while number 4459 had SKF roller bearings.* It was only because of this difference that they were classified as GS-5, and they were the only steam engines built for the SP that had roller bearings (Technically, number 4459 was classed GS-5A while number 4458 was classed GS-5).* Number 4458 was set up on June 21, 1942, while number 4459 was set up on June 5, 1942.

roller_bearing_timken_zpsfy4etb7c.jpg
roller_bearing_skf_zpsk5k8qfsm.jpg

The pictures above show roller bearings installed on trailer truck axels. On the left (top) Timken roller bearings for 4458, and on the right (bottom) SKF roller bearings for 4459.

As a side note, Southern Pacific was very cautious when considering the application of roller bearings to railroad equipment.* Each roller bearing on the GS-5 cost $27,000 more than the standard journal bearings with “spring pad lubricators” (an SP invention) used on the locomotives and other passenger equipment.* Cost was a big factor at the time and SP did not use roller bearings on any other equipment until the late 1940s when cost started to come down.* Because roller bearings had less friction, engine crews noted that it took a little more air to bring a GS-5 to a stop as they “just wanted to keep on rolling.”* Roundhouse crews knew they “really had to tie 'em down, or they'd just start rolling away.”

The GS-5's were Southern Pacific's finest contribution to motive power in the annals of railroad history.* Engine crews said they had the best ride of all the Daylight locomotives.* None were finer!

(From:http://spdaylight.net/Engines.html)

I don't see anything mentioned about roller bearings on the side rods, I'd imagine that if they were, they'd look like N&W's Class J and Class A #1238-1242 side rods....

Oooooooh Yeah! Love that pic "a'comin' round the mountain", where were they taken? Those coaches sure beat NZR 2nd class :p And if you've got a spare 1-1/2 hours, here's a good SP4449, UP844 lashup with UP heritage coaches, 2011. I've only watched 20 mins so far, but the surprising thing, is no assisting diesels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJKiXaAjuGM

I think it said....

Scenic highlights of the Coast Line included the 16.5 mile Cuesta Pass between Santa Margarita and San Luis Obispo. Here is where the train negotiated seven tunnels, one bridge, and tight reverse curves (53 curves in all) as it descended (going South) or ascended (going North) the famous Goldtree horseshoe curve at a 2.2% grade.

Google maps is my friend then, should be easy to find. We broke our November heat record today in my little town, 43C/109.4F, just as well the humidity was only about 35%, usually with heat like that it's up in the 90's. Least we gave old Putin a stinkin' send-off. He didn't hang around. I went down the highway a bit and put my hand out the window at 100 kph (60MPH), the wind felt like a blow-torch.

I remember when people wore overcoats, hats (not baseball caps) and some even wore neck ties to Baltimore Colt football games. Now people dress like a freak show just to be on TV for 2 seconds.

Great pictures once again, this thread is fun to read, thank you everyone!

On the subject of small engines that wont start, next year when you put the machine away add some Briggs and Stratton fuel stabilizer and run it out of gas before putting it away. Yeah I know, I should have said that in the spring, but better late then never.

The Goldtree horseshoe curve is just to the north-west of San Luis Obispo, find Los Angeles Drive, Cal. This road is square shaped, and surrounds The California Men's Colony Prison. Satelliite view gives a good impression of the countryside in the region. Some views taken from a train.

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Sun 11/16/14.

Snow later with a high of 32. Nothing planned for today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Back