Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommorrow's weather forecast in Aus

DSC05150.JPG

Anybody want a free trade agreement, you know, half each way?

Good morning. It's cloudy and 20.
Forecast is for freezing rain later today. Oh, joy...

Good morning. 13°, and sunny. Possibly some freezing rain later in the day. it's 17 degrees warmer than this time yesterday!

Good morning everyone. 35 and foggy. Warming trend will hit 60 Wednesday and then it tanks again for the weekend down into the 20s for highs. I'm not a roller coaster fan!

Spent the weekend still sick from whatever this crud is going around. Finally started feeling better last evening. Hardly been down to the train room for 5 or 6 days. Poor layout must think the engineer died :eek:. Waiting for an MBKlein order, mostly scenery and landscaping stuff. Will have lots to do once i get back into the train room.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 39° and absolutely clear this morning, headed for a high near 60° again today. Yesterdays rain was just a nuisance, with only .11" of prolonged drizzle all day. A real rain around here is at least 1". Freezing rain is in the long range forecast for Thursday the 16th, although the same forecast only projects a low temperature of 37°. We'll see!
Out in the train shed, I resumed the layout cleanup yesterday. Found a snowplow along the ROW in a remote corner. After locating the engine that it came from, a GP60M, I spent some time reattaching it. The mounting pegs had sheared off so I had to fabricate and attach new ones made from some .080" pieces of scrap sprue material. I don't have any .080" Evergreen rod so I had to improvise. We'll see how long that it lasts. Continued my "organizing" efforts that I alluded to last week. The real reason behind that is that I am looking for some parts that go with an antique Plastruct billboard kit. Interestingly, I got the kit for free. When I put it on the counter at the LHS, the owner said that it had been on the display rack since he opened the store 22 years earlier and that he was glad to finally get rid of it. Ran some trains to vary the activity level.

Jesse - Hope that you get some relief from the toothache today. Reminds me that I broke a crown last week and have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to have it looked at...they can't fix it tomorrow but can look at it and schedule a real appointment. Didn't know that crowns broke!
Justin - I guess that I am old-fashioned in that I have a screwdriver/drill with a power cord attached to it as well as a cordless one. Never a dead battery problem here. Seriously, that's a drag as you probably had plenty of time yesterday.
Curt - Hope that the injury wasn't too serious. I trust that with your EMS background (that was you wasn't it?) that you got a handle on it quickly. Your building is coming along nicely.
Trig - Thanks for the primer on Marklin track. Even though I don't foresee ever using it, I gained some knowledge yesterday.
Garry - Nice progress on that corner scene. I'm hoping to get out of the modeling funk this week and resume some building/scenery.
Ron - Nice to hear from you again, Happy New Year back to you.
Toot - "free trade agreement" - Does that include the weather girl?

It must be Monday as I hear my wife stirring around in the back of the house, an hour earlier than normal. She is back to work now.
Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Good Morning all,

Headed back to work after having 16 days off......yuck! On a brighter note it’s much warmer today than the last two weeks. It’s 50 degrees warmer now than it was last week at this time. Have a good day all!

Good morning fellers. I wish I still had my corded drill. Couldn't kill that thing. I had to recharge my drill batteries twice. I know I'm rather sore today. Back to a full five day work week again. Who knows what the week might hold. Temps here are supposed to warm up this week. Maybe help out with the work load at work.

Justin

Rain - hope you feel better.

Willie - thanks. Waiting for the office to open so I can try to get in today. Got another hour or so to wait. Good luck with your crown.

Jesse

Good morning. Milder weather finally moved in. 27 degrees to start the day off.

I have a lot of catching up to do. I tried to keep up with the forum on the phone over the weekend, but we were extremely busy. The bowling tournament went alright. We should be in the money, but have to wait until later today to see where we finally placed. It was rough for some bowlers. The oil pattern really hindered some bowlers. One of out party has a 230 average and he really struggled. Nobody really shined. It was more of a matter of survival.

The roads were horrible on the way to Missoula. The roads were still ice covered in some areas with snow pack left over from Christmas and sub zero temps. Road crews were out on the interstate with road graders finally being to clear up the highway as the temps were finally above freezing. Even with the road crews working hard, sometimes there was only part od a lane free of ice. Fun and games.

I saw a number of posts on unitrack and easy track. I am of no help on this subject. My preference is either flex track or hand laid track. Back in the 70 I learned the advantaged of keeping away from any lkind of sectional track. Trig - Nice to see you getting off to a start with a platform to build on.

Sherrel - We had trouble with the so called heat punmp with out reverse cycle A/C when we had freezing temp in Florida just before we left. Not worth a darn. When it comes to a dishwasher, we just had to replace an LG that was just about 2 years old. After a lot of research, we found a Maytag that was on sale at Home Depot. Was an $850 maching and on sale it was $638. It was highly rated according to customer reviews and was the only one with stainless steel spray arms. All of the rest we looked at were plastic. The wife loves it.

Curt - Things are waring up. Don't blame me on the cold weather, Canada left the door open. The progress on the building really is impressive.

Garry
- The scene with the 1900 era building is sweet. Can't wait to see the scene completed.

Ray - I was wondering what had happened to you. Seems like you dropped off of the face of the earth. Nice to see you stopping by for a cup.

Guess I should get some work done and try to catch up on the posts I missed over the weekend.

Here's a rail photo for today.

81.jpg

Later

That's funny, I've been leaning away from flex toward sectional on the curves. More proto. Who'd a thunk I would have ever cared about "proto"? LOL

My four line horseshoe has flex on the outside 24" line. Next time and whenever possible I will be using sectional on curves tighter than 30"+ ! Getting the very ends of flex to keep from "kicking out" at the end is an absolute nightmare! Joining flex on the curve is something I WILL avoid, no reason to make this any more difficult than it already is.

Flex is great and I recommend it...but not for curves. Flex is good to make the line line up FOR the curve But I'd hafta say go with sectional ON the curve unless you been doing this for a VERY long time and REALLY know what yer doing. I most certainly do NOT!

Oh, my bad...protocol...ahem...33 degrees in the swamp...it's a heat wave!

Looks like the Arctic blast has moved on. 36° with no wind chill now. Going to see the dentist about this tooth at 1:30. Flo, no donuts today, but I would like a cup of joe.

Hope everyone has a great day today. May try to pick up some paints to start weathering my tracks today. Can't build yet, but I still want to get some railroading done.

Jesse

Good morning .... Coffee and a donut please.....

Ron ... I've been wondering where you were. Feel free to visit here more often.

Trig, Willie, Chet. ...... Thanks for commenting on my progress..... I have been aligning and realigning this morning.... I think I have the track where I want it, and it is now nailed down.

Bruce..... I do not agree sectional track is best for curves. ..... Here is how to solve the "kicking out" problem with rail ends. Solder them in the rail joiner before bending. .... In some cases, you need to hold the end sections in position so the rails are straight for a short distance on each connecting piece of track while you solder. ... Curves are not realistic if they do not have transition between tangent (straight) track and curved track which gradually changes until you have the desired radius. ... I use push pins to hold track down while I get it aligned. Next, I replace push pins with track nails.

Chet ... I'm glad you got home safely after driving in the bad weather.

Everybody ..... Happy Model Railroading

mmm. bending and soldering are at the next level from where I am. I HAVE a soldering iron and perhaps some day I'll be hand laying track...some day. For now I'll take the EASY road to road building! I'm not trying to replicate any actual spot to the "Nth" degree so I don't need to get TOO micro about it. The only "real world" features I'm going to try to recreate is a section of single line through a swampy woods where I yousta hunt and a double crossing near where I lived as a child. Other than that it's a "free form" situation.

"Free form" is a misnomer as I have LEARNED that a layout of size MUST be planned...and planned, and planned out well. LOL

New guy - I'm right there with you. I know the CONCEPT of soldering, but the IMPLEMENTATION....not so much. I can also relate to the free form approach. I want my first layout to use an accurate representation of a real rail line, but the rest is all made up. The planning for the future layout will be more detailed and accurately based on the real surroundings.

Jesse

Good Morning - It's 63 headed to 69 ... overcast again and rain is still in the forecast. They have been touting this for a week! Today on one of the local channels the weathergirl said that "normal rainfall for the season at this time is 4.75 inches - we are 4.63 inches below normal!

Speaking of "weather girls" ... I believe that Mexico wins in that department! They have some real jaw-droppers that KARL would "kill" for, but he would have to get in line, HA! Every now and them I will put the TV on a Mexican station just to watch the weather. Spousal Unit said, "What are you doing? You don't speak Spanish!" I replied, " Just looking at the MAP!" She said. "You don't fool me one bit."

CHet - No decision on the dishwasher ... but she wants the same model Kenmore that was just installed a few months ago at her Mom's house. It s so quite that you hardly know that it is on.

Gotta get moving - ton of odd stuff to do today. RON - been wondering what happened to you? Glad to see your back.

Hello All...Finally getting a little rain in the SF Bay Area and at 53 I can't complain...Today I'm sorting and
inspecting...Busy tomorrow but plan on the rest of week to be lots'a cleaning & testing...Not in any real rush
but I'd like to be able to have a test section of my elevated line semi functional in the next week or 2 so I
can start on the pillars...I've got at least 25 to build and with my steep grades I really need to have them be
as fine tuned as I can possibly get them...I'll be in & out...Hope everybody's doing well...Trig :)

Glad to hear you're making progress, Trig. Getting some rain down here also, and it's supposed to really get going this afternoon sometime.
Keep up the good work. :)

Afternoon All,

Temp is 72 today and will be almost 80 by Friday and then the next cool down. Slept like crap last night and was awake until past 3:30:(. Needless to say I don't have much energy today. I did go and get some stuff for the inside piping of the build. After getting home it took about an hour to figure it out but I finally did. A couple of parts were glued together and tomorrow I will paint it all light gray.

Chet- Thank you. It was a really nice day outside today.

Garry- Thank you. Excellent work on your layout. Your concept makes sense with the photo. I can't wait to see the finished area.

Trig- Thank you.

Toot- 117:cool:, but is it a dry heat?

Jesse- Good luck at the dentist.

Willie- Thank you. Yes that was me, and as you can tell it wasn't a mortal wound.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back