Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did you do about the heated glove situation?

OK ... maybe I am wrong (not surprising) that you really have lost your marbles? LOL

I found a set of gloves that actually work and provide heat that I can feel. It turns out that I do have Raynaud's desease of the fingers. That's constricted blood vessels. It's like my fingers are dry and cracked all year round.

Good Morning Everyone. 52° and overcast with a light mist. Supposed to rain around 10:00 am, not much though, .25" is all that is in the forecast. Another beautiful tee shirt day again yesterday, I spent more time planting trees around the estate and applying compost to the the garden. Got that new oven burner ignitor installed without issue...thank you knee pads!
Out in the train shed, I continued with the quarterly clean up activity on the layout. So far I have found only one stray brake wheel and a Kadee coupler knuckle spring along the ROW. Of course the brake wheel is a boxcar-brown color, thus making it more difficult to find the owner. In my quest to complete some age-old projects, I finished up a Grandt Line relay house and did some more activity on a Magnuson cement mixer. Trying to organize some stuff along the way; for example, it seems that I have strip wood stashes in at least five different places.

Joe - That reminds me that I need to organize my paint also. I got into the habit of writing the purchase date on bottles of paint so I would try to use the oldest first. That was in 2006, I still have at least 20 undated bottles from before then. On top of that, my wife goes out and buys craft paints for a project with my grandkids and dips a brush into them once and then gives them to me. Goes out a year or two later and buys the same colors (instead of asking if I have some) and repeats. Not too sure what I can do with all those bottles of magenta and turquoise though.
Ken (D&J) - You really have lost your marbles!:)
Chet - Hope that all went well in the bowling tournament.
Eric - This warm weather here is headed your way. Enjoy it while you can.

Stay warm and everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning .... Coffee and a bear claw please.

There is an APB issued for Ken VA's marbles...... If you see them report to authorities.... ;)

Toot .... I like the latest video of NS hauling export locomotives. ... That is a nice paint scheme, and the black on the NS SD40 looks ugly in comparison.

Willie .... I find loose detail parts on my right of way from time to time. I don't have a regular time scheduled to look for them. I have a couple of small plastic cups on the layout in which I place the stray parts. When inspecting locomotives and cars, I sometimes find the ones with missing details, and then I re-install the details. .

I made a little more progress last night on my corner project. Slow going because I keep having other stuff that needs attention.

Morning railfans! 47 degrees headed to 77 today. Rain is in the forecast (if it makes it this far South), winds are gusting to ONE! How do you have a gust of ONE?

Went to a memorial service yesterday afternoon for the husband of one of my wife's clients. Bloke was 5 years younger than me, retired Navy twice, and his hobby was gemology! Was a very somber affair watching the Color Guard with their flag ceremony -very moving.

Spousal Unit is still on the quest for the "most expensive" dishwasher to be had. I already told her: "Go ahead - get what you want since "you" are paying for it." We will see what she comes up with.

I need to check with daughter in N.C. and see how they are doing - it was 8 degrees last time I looked before I went to bed. Have to start putting up the Christmas Deco boxes today ...I took down 14 of the 17 boxes - my goal is to only put back 12 or 13. (if I can get away with it?)

Ken in VA - Maybe it's time for you to find a pond, break the ice, and go for a swim since you like to set records? Incidentally, one of my sister's-in-law has your same problem along with her feet. Sometimes they are so bad that she has trouble walking. Mother-in-law has it too, but she is 96.

Stay dry everyone!

Ken in VA - Maybe it's time for you to find a pond, break the ice, and go for a swim since you like to set records? Incidentally, one of my sister's-in-law has your same problem along with her feet. Sometimes they are so bad that she has trouble walking. Mother-in-law has it too, but she is 96.

Stay dry everyone!

Dang Sherrel, I might have lost a few marbles but I'm not nuts.

Good morning gang.

Flo, can I get a mug of hot chocolate this morning? And yes, dont spare the mini-marshmallows.

Its only 10 degrees in central Absurdisistan, but a break is on the way. Temps in the low 40s by thursday, and mid 50s by Saturday!!!! I might be able to fire up the airbrush next weekend and attack the growing pile of bodyshells waiting for paint.

Meanwhile, I believe I saw one of the cats chasing Kens marbles this morning.

Time now to carry in some firewood. I may be back for more hot liquids soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good afternoon.
Back home again, where it's currently a balmy 27. Forecast is for mid 30's tomorrow, and rain. Salt trucks were out spraying salt water on the roads on the way home. I'm going to swing through the car wash tonight after we get done moving trailers back to the dealership. That should be around midnight, or a little before...

Good afternoon everyone....taking a break from trains today. Yesterday, everything I touched broke or derailed. Problems with my Digitrax 402 throttle wqas the end of my day. I couldn't use the throttle for programing and got strange displays when in the programming mode!!!

I need a rest anyway.

At least its getting warmer here and I have to travel north tomorrow.

Have a great day.

Greg

Kinda hard to build my bench work with dead batteries in all my drills! Didn't plan that out right. So now I wait for them to charge up.

Justin

Afternoon All,

Currently 62 and clear. We survived the grand kids 2 day stay, but their bickering with each other drove me crazy. Today I put together the door and windows and mounted them in place. The windows are made out of a very thin wood with sticky paper on the back and they have to be fit inside the "brick" frame. Needless to say they are very easy to destroy. I would much prefer something like Tichy windows.

After I did that I was prepping the 2 outflow pipes with a file and 400 grit sand paper. Of course I was trimming one of the ends and sliced the heck out of my thumb with a new #11 exacto blade. Tomorrow I have to run out and get light gray primer paint (spray can) to spray the pipes. I also need to look at the lawn irrigation pipping and fittings. I figure they are the right size for inside the building.

VA Ken- Nice job on the storage box.

Trig- Your table top looks good.

Sherrel- I'm glad your daughter got her heat back on.

Willie- You could paint radiation warning signs with the magenta paint.

Justin- A downside of technology.

20180107_141028.jpg

20180107_141047[1].jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe - Thanks for the info! Daughter had told me that they do have an "emergency heat" setting on the thermostat - I presume that is what you mean? She said that they had tried that, but that was before they learned that the blower motor had burned out, so it did not help.

Trigster - Table top Looks good. I hope that works for you. What is the thickness of the cork? I think that you still need a "roadbed" under the track for in order to look more like a railroad track?

Ken in VA - Modules are looking good. I like the carrier you have built. I hope that you were pulling someone's leg about the cycle? I don't think you have lost your marbles yet!

Thanks Sherrel...It did turn out pretty well...The 'Cork' is 3/16" and 'M' Track has a built-in roadbed almost like what you might think of as 'EZ Track'...
Here's a couple of stock images...1.) 'M' Track...2.) The 3 Marklin Flavors 'K', 'C' & 'M'...That 1st shot is a pretty good representation of 'M' Track...

Thanks Curt...If my level of detail on the layout can get to 1/10 of your work I'll be a happy guy...

Trig :)

Mtrack.jpg KCM.jpg

I've never seen an EZ track to standard adapter, though I have seen a Unitrak to standard track adapte.

Hello Terry...It's interesting but I think Bachmann or maybe Kato(?) makes one for 'N' gauge but I didn't see 'HO'...I'm not even sure on that though ???...LOL...
I have enough trouble just trying to keep the 'M' Track bits & pieces sorted out in my head !!!...Trig

Hello everybody.

Justin .... I still have old drills with a power cord instead of batteries, but normally I use the battery ones. So I know what you mean about dead batteries for drills. .

Curt .... Your brick building is looking good so far.

I finally had some time for model railroading, and I am working on track for my corner project. I use push pins to hold it all in place before using track nails to complete the track installation. Some of it still needs to be aligned correctly. It's a tight fit for the 1900 era buildings I am using in this corner.

]
38856346544_c3b09ec04a_k.jpg

Hello Terry...It's interesting but I think Bachmann or maybe Kato(?) makes one for 'N' gauge but I didn't see 'HO'...I'm not even sure on that though ???...LOL...
I have enough trouble just trying to keep the 'M' Track bits & pieces sorted out in my head !!!...Trig

Up until about 10 years ago, I was heavily involved in N scale. I model in HO now by neccessity rather than preference.

Hello everybody.

Justin .... I still have old drills with a power cord instead of batteries, but normally I use the battery ones. So I know what you mean about dead batteries for drills. .

Curt .... Your brick building is looking good so far.

I finally had some time for model railroading, and I am working on track for my corner project. I use push pins to hold it all in place before using track nails to complete the track installation. Some of it still needs to be aligned correctly. It's a tight fit for the 1900 era buildings I am using in this corner.

Gary...Your Modeling Skills Are Amazing...And the background almost looks seamless from the layout...Hard to tell where one ends and the other begins...

Meanwhile back in the Maintenance & Repair Dept...LOL...My eye's and hands sure don't work as well as they used to !!!
I had to replace a spring in one of my switches and what a little chore that turned out to be :)...Even with a pretty strong
lighted goose neck magnifier and my finest hemostats it still took me 20 minutes to get the little booger installed...But I
finally got it in there and the switch works fine...I guess a new pair of Glasses wouldn't hurt either...Trig

Up until about 10 years ago, I was heavily involved in N scale. I model in HO now by neccessity rather than preference.
My Older Brother had a 'Z' Scale set he gave me years ago and just recently I actually set it up on the Coffee Table for an old girl friend from work...She was
quite insistent that I was joking and that "...that thing doesn't actually run"...Sure enough ran like a champ without having been touch in many years...Trig

My Older Brother had a 'Z' Scale set he gave me years ago and just recently I actually set it up on the Coffee Table for an old girl friend from work...She was
quite insistent that I was joking and that "...that thing doesn't actually run"...Sure enough ran like a champ without having been touch in many years...Trig

You old smoothie. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back