Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power out at the airport here.
Atlanta-Hartsfield-Jackson has been the busiest airport in the world for many years.
I'm surprised this isn't getting more "air time".

Ok capt. Weems.... ATL is a no-go. Where do you want to go?
McCullum, Dobbins?
Peachtree-Dekalb? (i'd go with that)

This is a good start point for my next layout build. This is straight out of modeling the C&O book. This is a scaled down version of Thurmond, WV. I will use the elements out of it. Focus on switching operations on the branch. It'll also allow for expansion later. I can shorten it if need be. Good thing about this is it will work regardless of my approach.
72077d103d10d1fbb52116a7a62476c6.jpg

Justin

Couple questions before I get in over my head. #1 If I go with a round the walls layout in the 10x12 room, I will have to have a removable or swing down section of track at the door. Is this going to be a constant problem with re-alignment of the track? I'm guessing a very tight indexing system? #2 Working/walking space between the shelving, 30" minimum?
Dave

Couple questions before I get in over my head. #1 If I go with a round the walls layout in the 10x12 room, I will have to have a removable or swing down section of track at the door. Is this going to be a constant problem with re-alignment of the track? I'm guessing a very tight indexing system? #2 Working/walking space between the shelving, 30" minimum?
Dave
Model railroader should have you covered on this one. They seem to like the whole stow and go thing. I'm sure someone here has a lift up panel on their layout.

Justin

What's left of my layout....the cork is well to say the least very glued down....I did a good job on it.
7328cd2d4b39a2aef4a71ed006a6f224.jpg

Justin
Justin...That's Hard To Look At...So much work...But if you come out better in the long run with a slightly larger layout it'll all be worth it...!!!
It's also got me more committed than ever that every single piece a track, every switch...Everything is gon'a get cleaned, tuned, tested and
then double checked for good measure...And all brand new wire...If I get the Board ready by the end of January I'll be Happy...

The layout I'll be starting soon has the limitation of 4 x 8...Even a foot more on either side just won't work...Plenty of room in the Garage but I
made the hard & fast decision I wasn't going to subject the 'All Metal' nature of a Marklin 'M' Track layout to that environment...My last layout
was 6 x 9 and it really is amazing how much just that little added extra can change everything...So many more possibilities...

I'll be interested in watching as your new layout evolves...Trig

Dave
You can have a double around-and-back layout in that area. Just have one return loopstaggered from the second one, somyou'll have room to move around without needing a duckunder.

Afternoon All,

Never got on the computer yesterday. Did some chores this morning. After that I spent about 90 minutes refurbishing a Tichy steel water tank (100K version). I installed a new ladder and cage, painted the concrete footers (aged concrete) and put cinders down on the flat base, and finally re-weathered the tank with black powder. I've had the tank about 3 years.

When I went to my VA doc the other day she said she wanted a Liver Ultrasound. Yesterday I get a call from the VA for a appointment on Dec. 27th. Wow that was quick! I was expecting Feb or March.

Thursday I'm driving up to see Jon and Phil.

Trig- Cool looking 0-8-0. The other day you posted a picture of a transformer. Can that control 3 locos at one time?

CA Dave- I believe they are Walthers. Happy belated birthday.

Justin- I am very sorry to hear your news. Great video.

Truckman- Welcome to the forum.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Hello Curt...That image had a 32a Transformer (White) and a 6600 Speed Controller (Blue)...The 3 dials on the 6600 control the amount of retardation of speed
both starting and stopping...It also has a variable adjustment for the length of time a Train is stopped/paused...Only for a single 'Loop'...One Train...The whole
layout will have 3 isolated lines on separate Transformers so 'yes' I will be able to control 3 Trains...Carefully !!! :D...The Controller also has a 'Kill' switch...

The 0-8-0 is a Marklin 3031 which was produced between 1959 - 1974...That one is from the '72-'74 era and is equipped with Telex Couplers...
If Marklin has a Top 10 List it's on that list...Noth'in fancy...Just A Multi-Purpose Work Horse...I've wanted one for many years and last night the
opportunity to grab one was there...There were many slight variations over the years and the last production group was the best of them...Trig

You'll be amazed at how much railroad you can get onto a 2' wide shelf.

Toot ... I agree. Most of my layout is about two feet wide as it follows about 130 feet of walls. Exceptions are wider areas going around corners and a large area at each end for a return loop .

Justin. .. none of my cork roadbed is glued down. Instead I use a staple gun to staple it in place. I do tap each staple with a hammer after the staple gun to make sure staples are not protruding up too high.

Truck Dad ... you said you are thinking of a removable section at the door to enter the train room . A friend of mine has a swing gate with a track on top for that purpose. It was a lot of work to get the track aligned properly. Also, he accidently left the gate open causing a train to dive down to the floor . The locomotive was heavily damaged. Beware of such things. Eventually he wired it with a switch that disconnects power to approaching track when the gate is open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toot ... I agree. Most of my layout is about two feet wide as it follows about 130 feet of walls. Exceptions are wider areas going around corners and a large area at each end for a return loop .

Justin. .. none of my cork roadbed is glued down. Instead I use a staple gun to staple it in place. I do tap each staple with a hammer after the staple gun to make sure staples are not protruding up too high.

Truck Dad ... you said you are thinking of a removable section at the door to enter the train room . A friend of mine has a swing gate with a track on top for that purpose. It was a lot of work to get the track aligned properly. Also, he accidently left the gate open causing a train to dive down to the floor . The locomotive was heavily damaged. Beware of such things. Eventually he wired it with a switch that disconnects power to approaching track when the gate is open.
Garry The loco diving toward the floor made me think of the movie "The Cassandra Crossing" I'm still thinking & rethinking how to best use the space I have, and Terry's earlier post has me thinkin what he said is possible too since I wont be running any long locos. I have a 1964 model Cummins NHRS320 diesel engine in my shop that is sitting where my train room has to go and I am building a rolling steel frame for it so I can move it and hopefully sell it. Proceeds will go towards the railroad that I hope to model somewhat after the Santa Maria Valley RR, where I lived for 50 years. It served a sugar plant, oil refinery, feed lot, produce shipping, and some industrial spurs and connected with the SP in Guadalupe, CA. There was also a narrow guage that ran thru the same town. Lots of modeling opportunities.

Trig...it is indeed hard to look at. So much so my wife refuses to look at it. But this was my fourth layout build. Another one where my track work was sub-par. Next build I really I mean really do up my track work right. I had dips and high spots at my joints and it was just a nightmare.

Justin

Hi,

Have been out of model railroading for many years. I just gave my grandson my old O gauge set. I also located my HO set and will start a layout. Question, why are there no operating HO train cars like the other O gauge manufactures have milk car, log car, steer car, etc. ? HO has been out for decades and electronics have been miniaturized. I have not been able to find anything in HO that liven up the layout like the O gauge operating cars. Am I looking in the wrong place?
Thanka

Good afternoon Track Gang and Spike Driver ! As you can see I started this post last night but was too tired to continue so I'm finishing it now.

Good late evening Track Gang and Spike Driver ! This 12-16-2017 Sat of December.
Hi Francine, Flo, Oh my God, I totally forgot about the fact that yesterday was the day, early morning actually, when our departed friend, 'Jeffrey Scott Wiberly/Aka Running Bear', passed away at around 4:00Am in the morning and this Coffee Shop/Dinner was named in his honor shortly there after!
How about another bowl of Beef Stew with some Sourdough bread and Coffee.

35 Wells rd Station | Report

11:53 PM PST on December 16, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--° | 34°F
35°F - Feels like 34°F, it's Partly Cloudy but rather Cold;
Winds are from the NNE with only a slight breeze;
Humidity is at 86%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Cooler than today.

I still didn't make it out into my train room/garage to work on my layout. Hopefully today 12-17

51 Wells rd Station Report
3:40 PM PST on December 17, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 36°F
51°F - Feels like 51°F
Sunny yet Cool
Winds from the SSW at .10 mp
Humidity at 45% earlier now at 4:20 it 27%, will probably increase as the night goes on.
Today is forecast to be Warmer than yesterday.

Well That's Nice To See !!!
I had my 1st adventure into maintenance in many years yesterday...Needed to convince myself that I did know how to remove and inspect 'Motor Brushes'...
The Ol' 3065 ran much smoother after quick clean & replace but that's never a full cure...They Need Replacing...So I've got several sets on the way as there are numerous Loco's that use the same brushes...So glad I was able to get the old ones back in without causing a disaster !!!...Another Small Success...Trig :D

Trig: All of the older open frame motors I'm familiar with had commutators with open slots/spaces between the plates
to separate the fields and the slots would become filled with carbon from the brushes and oil and short out and make for poor running if at all. I've always used a small strip of some stiff card stock and some tweasers to clean these groves out. It's some times been hard to get the motor to run again but once it does it usually runs great.

On some motors such as Rivarosi the commutator is a a flat round segmented disk that the brushes push against and I think the only way to clean them is with an electronic spray cleaner with a long tube to get to the disk to pray it off.

WOW - many things to reply too!

DAVID - Happy Birthday to you - hope you did something interesting?

Weather here has really changed -- winds have switched to "onshore flow" and the temp today is only expected to reach 65 for a high.
Should help the firefighters gain more control over the THOMAS FIRE up neat Santa Barbara. Fire is still only 40% contained (whatever that is?).

Sherrel: Thanks for the Birthday wish, I just spent a relaxed day, didn't do anything overly exciting, unfortunately.

Good morning. 31 degrees with snow coming down.

Joe - I totally agree with you when it come back to the DC, DCC controversy. As I had mentioned numerous times, for my home layout DCC is really not needed, but when operating at the club in Livingston, there is no way we could have the action we have without it. Nice to have a half dozen or more trains running at the same time, having meets, having to pull into passing sidings to let another train pass. It is a real hoot. I really enjoyed operating on my friends layout in Missouri with as many as 20 trains operating on his empire under the control of dispatchers. Again, not possible without DCC. I have nothing against DCC and like it, but just not for my home layout.

We have been getting nickeld and dimed with snow off and on for the past week and now have over a foot accumulated in the driveway. Our little doxies with their short legs are getting high centered unless they are in a tire track. Guess its time to crank up the tractor and clear some snow.

So much for getting any train projects done today. Think I'll pass on going top the club tonight also. Don't want to mess with the slick road over the pass.

David - View attachment 64177

Garry[/B] - Thanks for the post about Jeffereys passing. Three years, how time flies.

Later

Chet: Thanks for the Birthday wish, I just spent a relaxing day as well as feeding the fire place to keep a little heat in the house. No snow but a lot of moisture and temps in the 30's make for a cold situation.

Your probably a very good driver as far as snow and slick roads go per your prior posts but none the less it's probably wise not to drive on icy roads although I imagine you have tires with studs in them but better to play it safe.

Good afternoon gang!
Been quietly lurking , keeping life on track and keeping an eye on y'all.
David Happy Birthday!

KenL Shame on you forgetting how to DCC! I oughta come over and confiscate your throttles until you re-read the manuals! ;)

Justin The best thing you can be is supportive and understanding for your wife right now. The 1st wife and I lost 3 out of her 6 pregnancies.....its tough....be her rock.

L8ter gang!

Karl: Thanks for the Birthday wish, it's appreciated. You sure laid down the law to poor old Ken dealing with the DCC alright! You got to cut him some slack, we all have our moments! LoL

Sorry to know you and your prior wife lost lost several babies. It's never easy on either of you but probably more so on the lady.

I wandered into the coffee shop about 3 weeks ago and have been sitting at the counter, down at the end, just listening and slowly learning. Still clearing out a space in the shop for the train room and should start framing in a few days. Room will be 10'x12', probably an around the wall layout with a peninsula and hinged gate at the doorway. I will be asking a few questions of ya'll. One thing I wanted to say was thanks to Justin for the video. Very enjoyable and what caught my attention immediately was the lack of graffiti on the boxcars and the open (unprotected) racks for the new cars! Days gone by for sure............ Glad I found this coffee shop.
Dave

Say Dave: Welcome back to the forums, it is a pretty good group of guys and a few ladies who seem to stay fairly shy about posting too often. In another post you asked about Jos Bbakko I think he's still around. Tony also got active again as he was missing for quite some time. Then poor Jeffrey's passing on 12-15-2014, Jeffrey used to talk with a lot of us on here and I did talk to him on the phone a couple of times. We thought a lot alike as he had no use for the former clown in the Black/White House either. He passed away, far too young.

'Evening gents!

I had to laugh when I was reading the "debate" about DC -vs- DCC, mainly because the DC users will read the following account and say "See, I told ya!" I spent most of this evening trying to create a roster entry for my new GP7 in DecoderPro. It took me much longer than it should have, because it had been nearly a year since the last time I programmed any Tsunamies and had forgotten a few things. I found the entry for my type of decoder easily enough, but I overlooked a few steps when I "wrote" some of the changes to the decoder - and that led to the loco being totally unresponsive except for the lights.

After much trial and error, I noticed that the DecoderPro DCC address for my roster entry #6406 was "3". And when I went into the panel to correct it, that setting was disabled - WTF:confused: I ended up nuking that roster entry and re-creating it. Apparently, the first time I changed the setting for the default direction to "reverse" (i.e. long hood forward), that also automatically reverted some of the other CV29 settings to their original defaults - including the bit that determines which DCC address [long or short] is the active one. So on the second go-round, I carefully examined these auto-defaulted CV29 values and changed them back wherever necessary - and voila, problem solved! Now I have the Bachmann GP7 speed-matched with 2 of my Genesis GP9's, and their 567 prime mover sounds are harmonizing quite nicely together!:cool:

DCC certainly is a PITA at times like this, but I gotta have it if I want to keep hosting group op sessions on my layout.

Say Popeye Ken: It's good that you were able to realize where your difficulties lay and were able to get them sorted out and corrected. DCC sure does allow for a considerable number of control option on a multi-operator layout like yours. I'll bet that is really quite something to experience as it really adds to the realism I'm sure.

Continued >

< Resumed
Good Morning Everyone. 34° and partly cloudy, however the winds have shifted out of the South, so it will warm up quickly. Weather Bureau did add rain to the forecast for after dark tonight...90% possibility.

I know that it isn't a DC vs DCC thing, but I am sticking with DC. It is simple and foolproof. I am a lone operator who mainly does switching and I can't pay attention to two trains anyway; even though I actually have two controllers and could run two if I desired. I also don't wish to add decoders to 80+ locos, many of which were made long before "DCC Ready" was standard. I don't like sound, I would rather listen to music from my IPod docking station. Now if I was just starting or restarting and didn't have all of the DC equipped stuff, I do think that I might go for it.

David - Happy Birthday'
birthday-cake_1f382.png

Regarding the figures; I have already painted nearly 1000 of them, along with several packages of Atlas and (maybe) Tyco ones over the years. I also gained over 100 painted ones in an estate sale many years ago and have purchased 250+ Woodland Scenics and Walther's ones over the years. So I already have many to choose from in the stash. Yes I do have quite a few still left to paint, but I keep a tray of about 30 of them by the workbench and every time that I paint something else, vehicle, structure, railcar, etc; I pick up and add whatever color that I am painting to a couple of the figures. I end up completing 4-6 a week this way, unless I just concentrate on painting them (usually once a month) and finish 25-30 at a sitting, most just requiring finishing touches.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Willie

Willie: Thanks for the Birthday wishes, they're appreciated. It was also interesting to read about all the people and animals you have been working on as well as those you still have to go. I still have a bunch but nothing like you. Painting can be tedious but enjoyable. I wonder if any of the craft stores have solvent based enamels similar to Floquil that dry flat. It sure looks a lot more realitic for most clothing and especially skin tones. Let me know if you happen to know of some brand of thinner based paint. I'll have to do a little research.

Good morning ...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday was the third anniversary of Jeffrey's death. The "Franken-Diesels" are missed for sure. (I should have mentioned it yesterday. )

I recall talking with his Dad to get information about which hospital Jeff was in.

Running Bear .... I continue to be thankful for your friendship. Rest in peace.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

David (CA) .... Happy birthday. ... I hope the CA wildfires are far from you.

Everybody ....Have a nice Saturday

Garry: Your Birthday Wishes are appreciated and thanks for reminding me about our friend Jeffrey. I stayed up too late that morning and slept late and totally forget that his passing was another year older.

Thanks also for the concern about the wild fires out my way. Fortunately, they are all a considerable distance from me. But the small one that started on the West side of my property or the adjacent parcel a couple of weeks ago is really very suspicious to say the least. Even the Fire Capatin that was on the scene and who I spoke with a couple of times said there had been a number of suspicious fires between Coarsegold, three miles to the North East of me on over toward Raymond which is 11 miles to the South West of me.

Well I think this week has bested me. I just got word that my wife has had a miscarriage. She felt something was off. Went to the ER and there is no pulse. I don't even know how to feel....

Justin

Justin: I'm very sorry for both you and your wife to hear about the loss of your expected child. As others have said she needs your understanding and support at this time and for a while into the future as it's probably rather tramatic for her.

Now as far as your new layout, I'm sure you'll really enjoy an around the wall style layout as it puts you in the middle of all the action like mine does. It's really enjoyable to be able to see your train that your controlling with a Radio controlled hand throttle, there as some available for 'DC' as you can move along with your locomotive and train cars as they move from one siding or town to another.

The info provided of the various track plans offer a number of possibilities for operation and they can all be changed to meet your desired operation objectives. I would suggest making your table height about waist height and your elevated trackage, if your going to have any, a bit higher for even closer to more eye level viewing which is really that much more enjoyable to watch your trains move along. I feel like I'm on the cab operating the locomotive. An around the wall layout that is about 30"s deep is a lot more enjoyable to work on too.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with?

Eric and Chet: DC vs. DCC? No debate, use what works best for your interest. I currently have a DCC controller and DC controllers at my disposal, from previous layouts, and I'm using rudimentary DC right now. I'm leaning toward sticking with DC, but reserve the right to go full DCC, on a whim. After using DCC on the previous layout, I kind of like the simplicity of DC.

Speaking of members I was familiar with, and not seeing anymore, whatever happened to jbaakko?

Joe: I think that for a single operator 'DC' work just fine. Heck I download a program on my cell phone, 'Railroad Companion' that offers a number of Whitle and Bell sounds for various Steam Loco's but also offers Diesel Horns as well that can be blown or rung at will and almost offers the user friendliness of DCC hand controller. The only problem for me is to some how easily attach my cell phone to my Crest Radio hand throttle to be able to use both as needed while operating.

I'm fairly content using 'DC' being a single operator.

I hope everyone has a good week ahead.

Hi,

Have been out of model railroading for many years. I just gave my grandson my old O gauge set. I also located my HO set and will start a layout. Question, why are there no operating HO train cars like the other O gauge manufactures have milk car, log car, steer car, etc. ? HO has been out for decades and electronics have been miniaturized. I have not been able to find anything in HO that liven up the layout like the O gauge operating cars. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanka

Hi Jkohan: Welcome to the forums. Tyco did put out a few operating cars such as a log car and I think a low sided gondola with a coal load that dumped but I'm not sure if they are still available or not?

I've also thought that operational cars could add to the realism of a layout if their loads and operation characteristics were realistic.

You'll be amazed at how much railroad you can get onto a 2' wide shelf.
2' you say? You have planted a bug toot. I have 2'x4' sections. If I rework some stuff I may be able to put them to use. It wasn't my original plan but I can always change my plans if I do up my bench work right.

Justin

How is everybody?

What's going on in here?

Did you miss me?

Do I ask too many questions?

I'm getting delirious at this hour from over working, over Shopping and too much moving. Did I mention I love Christmas and no I am not being sarcastic! I truly love almost everything about Christmas. Jesus is the reason for the season. The pink candle is lit. The third Sunday of advent has slipped past.

3rd-Sunday-of-Advent.jpg

God Bless us Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back