Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

For those of you interested in the very last runs of the Barnum & Bailey Circus trains, this is the tenative schedule, from reliable sources. All subject to change:

The last trips and shows of the Ringling Brothers are fast approaching:

The RED train will make its last run May 1st from Hartford CT to Providence RI with everyone onboard. After the last show on May 7th, the performers/employees will be flown home;

The BLUE train will run May 1st from Baltimore MD to Charleston WV – have shows for one week – and make its final run to Long Island NY after May 7th. After the final show on May 21st, all performers/employees will be flown home.
Both sets of equipment are to move dead back to Florida.

Afternoon All,

The feel like temp here today was 100. It has cooled off now, it only feels like 99. I picked the grandkids from school and they are in the pool until Dad can pick them up. Today I gave blood, the lady pulled out the catheter and realized she had one more tube to fill so she had to stick me again! REALLY? I spent a couple of hours working on the kit, and I feel better about it tonight.

Joe- Thanks for the encouragement.

Chet- The bldg looks great.

Garry- Excellent scene. Two years ago for Christmas MOH gave me a beautiful book on Pennsy advertising from the historical society.

Bob- Glad you are happy with the S-2.

Justin- Can you cut a couple more legs and attach them under the sag? That should push up the sag.

I hope everyone has a good night.

I'm sitting here watching TV and Campus PD, a spin-off of Cops, starts. For the opening credits they ran several disjointed momentary camera shots with associated audio that, naturally, had no discernable context. From seemingly out of nowhere comes the line, "I don't care whose it is, you're not old enough to have it between your legs."

I guess you had to be here.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening to all Gandy Dancers and Spike Drivers,

Hi Flo & Francine, How are things here at Jeffreys' Dinner? Seems that your both kept busy around here. I think I'll have some coffee and a nice big slice of Mince meat pie and coffee of course. If it any extra for a larger slice that's fine, no problem.

Lets check WW to see what they show for the weather? The day was fairly nice with a bit of a breeze most of the time but nothing like yesterday.
Clear at 54.7 °F - Feels Like 54.7 °F;

Winds are Variable Wind from South at 0.0 - with Gusts to 0.0 mph. I found out this report comes from up top of the hill I have to climb when driving into Coarsegold and on the East side of a larger hill up top which shields it from the winds I encounter. They should get a bit more rain and snow though.

Tomorrow is forecast to be Cooler than today. Glad they had the two day compareson.
High 79 | Low 48 °F
0% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 65.8 | Low 44.2 °F
Precip. 0 in
Pressure 29.90 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Clear
Dew Point 40 °F
Humidity 58%
Rainfall 0.00 in
Snow Depth Not available.
Sun & Moon to show at 6:07 AM 7:45 PM, it's a Waxing Crescent, 10% visible

Not much railroading/layout work lately. The main push is I need to locate the right starter for my 1989, 18 Hp Craftsman Garden Tractor which seems to be a bit of a problem. It may work out that I should just buy other bearings for the Armature shaft and replace them in the old starter as long as it's not too warn? I'll look for them. I replaced them quite a number of years back as I recall.

Good afternoon. Weather here in central MD is too nice for me to be stuck indoors working, but it is what it is...

David-CA: Thanks for the scenery tips, lots of useful stuff in there.

Garry - one thing that strikes me about your photos is that they, like Chet's, always have a lot of 'life' in them. That kids' birthday party scene is a great example of that.

Joe - you're right, warping could be a problem with foamcore. I guess I'll experiment by getting a single 4x2 ft piece of it and just leave sitting in my trainroom for a few months to see how well it holds its shape, before I invest too heavily in it.

Say Ken: Your welcome to the info, sorry for not having it punctuated better. That's what happens when I don't proof read it a couple of times.

Something else I forgot to mention is that you can also paint the board a 'flat, light dirt' color so any areas you might miss still look like they have dirt on them. Alieene's Tacky glue work very well for adding smaller branch like twigs to larger tree branches that need additional folliage by putting a bit on top of the larger limb and holding the smaller branch pressed into the Tacky glue for a few seconds. I've used this method to glue Caspeia to blossom Yaucca blossom armature once it's dried out to acheive a very open pine tree. You'd be surprised by what you can find just in branches that either fall off a tree or that you'd cut off. Not necessarily the entire branch but often a portion of it makes a nice armature to work from.

Good afternoon.

Ken & Sherrel ... Thanks for commenting on my photo. ... How many of you recall the Good Humor ice cream trucks? .... Mine is an inexpensive model from Life Like. It did not come with a steering wheel. Not to worry. I used a brake wheel for a freight car from my scrap box, and you may see it in this photo.

B Bob .... I'm looking forward to seeing the video of the GN S2 when you get a chance to do it.

Dave B (LASM) ..... Those 1925 travel books would be very interesting to me. I like the old passenger train advertising and promotion items.

Say Garry: Your scene looks very natural with a lot of attention given to details as well as the light use of of grass amongst the stones and else where as well as dog at the fire hydrant. Your road also lookes very natural too, and yes I do remember the Good Humor truck that used to go up and down the blocks with the Jingle playing on a hot summers day. That was creative to use a break wheel for a steering wheel, but isn't he going to bring the truck to a stop with a couple of turns? I couldn't resist.

Woohoo Friday!!! Another week headed into the books. A little rough this morning to start. Found the AC guys decided to run my trains...this put me in a fit of rage. As my C&O unit is not cheap nor are my hoppers. It looks like a tornado hit my train. Soooooo.....if and when they come back my stuff will be packed up. Found some flaws in my layout anyways. I have a severe sag in the middle of it. What happens when you rush a table build. Not sure if I can correct it or not. Sorry no pics yet today. I may come up with a few as the day goes on.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Say Jusstin: You mean to say they actually derail and crashed your Loco and hopper cars etc. I'd be pissed off too as it sounds like they may have damaged some cars or the Loco? I hope not. That was taking a lot of liberties for them to do that. I think I would have reported them and said not to send them out again!

As far as the sag in your table work just run a cross piece or two or three from side to side which should be fastened to the boards near the edge for added cross support. You will probably need to loosen whatever is fastening the board to the edge boards so you can get your cross pieces in place and even with the top edge of the boards to maintain a level surface. If your not using Dry Wall screws to hold your plywood down with I'd seriously recommend it. I should ask what are you using for a table top surface? Plywood won't generally tend to sag too much unless fairly thin such as a 1/4 of an inch, 7/16 [1/2"] is even better yet. If by chance your using particle board that will readly tend to say especially if subject to much moisture. That's why I chose OSB which is made of a lot of larger chips glued together with water proof glue. It's meant to be used as the underlayment when doing roofing on homes. The cross members should probably be at least 1x4 kiln dried lumber, depending on the span under your table top you might want to use 'L' girders as cross members to help prevent saging and shifting from side to side due to weight pressing down on them from above. L girders are made up by gluing & screwing two boards together to form an L shape. I'd use the yellow carpenters glue which seems to work fine. I also pre-drill all the holes for the Drywall screws with a counter sink bit and be sure the drill bit is no bigger than the center shaft of the screw for the best hold. Actually after the glue is dried that was applied to the two adjoining edges the screws could be removed. I leave mine in for added strength.

Anyway, I think you should be able to correct the sag.

Continued >

< Resumed

Thank you for the kind words about my layout. I kinda wish I was able to add some grades but I think I have captured the West Virginia look on a level track plan. Haven't worked on it in some time. With the heat on here looks about as good of a time as any do some work on it.

Jusstin: Sure you can add some grades, in one of a couple of ways. There is what is referred to as the cookie cutter** method where you cut the table top of your table a little ways to the side along the track/s you want to elevate. This of course requires that you have some spacing between tracks unless you want two tracks to be raised up. Then from underneath you would need to put in risers from cross members slowly increasing the height so as to maintain the grade percentage your after. Some of mine are rather steep but not as bad as those of the Cass Scenic Railroad. You will probably need to cut the raised section across the width at some point about mid way to splice in a short piece to allow for the added length required in raising the table top up. I've used this method with very good results.

** Rather than actually cutting the table top, you can use some lighter weight board like 1/4" plywood with some shingle shims to act as a way to gently raise the track from the table top surface up to where the 1/4" plywood begins and gradually use blocks or small pieces of shims to increase the height till you can put actual block sections under the board your going to use as your rail sub roadbed. where two different thicknesses of wood are joined you will need to use a tie plate with a shim to equal the thickness and maintain an even surface for the track and road bed if your going to use any. This is fairly easily done to equalize two different thicknesses such a two pieces of 1/4" connecting to a 7/16 piece your using for your thicker sub roadbed. The tie plates should at least be about 5" on each side of the joint and made from the heavier 7/16" board to maintain an even curveature. This of course means that the spacers under the road bed need to be glued in place and allowed to dry good as the upper sub roadbed will need to be screwed into them to hold it down and in position. The suports probably not be more than about 12" apart till you reach the desired elevation and the track levels off.

The other way, which is simpler but not quite a strong is to use Woodland Scenics Foam Risers which take you from zero up to your desired elevation and back down again but I'm not sure just how sturdy they are. The reason I say that is that if you need to reach across to a back section which is elevated and work on it, you will more than likely need to lean on it to support yourself, as I do with mine as I often have my entire upper body weight resting on the elevated track and sub roadbed to work on things or in doing spiking. So for this reason I prefer to work with wood risers with a 7/16" sub road bed of OSB and then whatever material your going to use on top of that which in my case is Sound Board which is made up of a bunch of fibers fairly closely compacted and glued together. This becomes my actual roadbed which I lay my ties on.

Checking in quickly this morning. 27 degrees and cloudy. Getting ready to head to Butte. Checking the DOT road report, the roads should be dry.

Ken in MD - Not all of my layout is open grid, hust some of the areas where I have grades to different levels. I have four towns on the layout and they are all on a flat piece of plywood. I don't know what your track plan is like, but you should still be able to put in some interesting scenery. Looking forward to seeing some photos of what you get done. Eric did some good work on his layout in Georgia before he had his medical problems. Justin also has a relatively flat layout and he has done some nice work also.

Joe - Some of those old cardboard kits were good back in the 70's . Ed's Market here is one of them.

View attachment 61492 Some of these old kits were excellent.

Gotta run, Later.

Say Chet: Ed's Market sure look great with all the interior shelving and and other counters etc. as well as at least one shopper inside. Having it lite up is a real plus too!

Good morning ....... Coffee and a donut, please.

Chet .... I certainly like your "Ed's Market" .... Nice !

David (Trussrod) .... That is a good explanation of scenery to Ken ....

Below is some activity in Prairie View including a child's birthday party in the county park.

CBQ308A_zps224e8390.jpg

Say Garry: Thanks for your compliment, it's really appreciated coming from you as your quite an artist yourself. Your scene here has a lot of life to it with all the details you added. That's what we all need to do is actually place ourselves in the scene and try to capture a feeling and tell a story. As I said above I like the limited use of grass in and amoungst the gravel as well as the road with it subtle oil drippings. I also see you have a lady and man waiting to board the Rail Car, the rusty rails and the street light on the station platform as well as the dog sniffing the hydrant. A lot of thought went into that scene, that what happens when we live in our scenes to bring out the detail.

Willie: Sutures came out today 2 on the hand, and 4 on the arm next to the elbow. Doing OK, more feeling in the hand than initially anticipated. Over time, I should regain more feeling and function in the hand. Elbowha s a touch of bursitis, short term, it was collateral damage from the surgery. 8 sessions of physical therapy recommended, think I will sign on.

Ken - MD: I prefer Gatorboard for some applications, but it gets pricey, and not easy as foamcore to find in a hurry. my solution to warping is to run glue and clamp support strips behind crucial places, and coat the whole thing with a clear coat, to ward off the dampness. I have a very rigid card stock / Bristol Board structure sitting on a flat of foamcore, that warped after I added scenery / scenic cement. Now, I have to remove the structure, and relocate everything on to a pre-sceniced Gatorboard. That's what I get for taking a short cut. Short of it, is that the structure retains it's shape.

Say Joe: Glad to hear your hand and elbow are doing so well as I know you are too. It sure make modeling a whole lot more enjoyable.

Say Flo: All of a sudden I have a hankering for some Chinese noodles and maybe some fish, do you have anything like that? No kidding, great, I'll have a bowl. The only thing is do you have any sticks to eat it with? Your kidding me, you have sticks too, alright!!

Afternoon All,

The feel like temp here today was 100. It has cooled off now, it only feels like 99. I picked the grandkids from school and they are in the pool until Dad can pick them up. Today I gave blood, the lady pulled out the catheter and realized she had one more tube to fill so she had to stick me again! REALLY? I spent a couple of hours working on the kit, and I feel better about it tonight.

Joe- Thanks for the encouragement.

Chet- The bldg looks great.

Garry- Excellent scene. Two years ago for Christmas MOH gave me a beautiful book on Pennsy advertising from the historical society.

Bob- Glad you are happy with the S-2.

Justin- Can you cut a couple more legs and attach them under the sag? That should push up the sag.

Curt: Bummer about having to be stuck twice, it's good though that they are now using much smaller needles compared to the old water pipe size!

This is a video from the Chicago Tribune website that they made during the refuel outage at the Quad Cities power plant earlier this spring. It does a pretty good job of explaining some of what goes into a refuel outage at a nuclear power plant. I usually signal the crane operator, directing him with hand signals as well as Telex, the movements needed by the crane to move everything from boxes of tools to the reactor head for disassembly and reassembly. You will have to wait for a 15 second commercial but it's worth it.

This is what we'll be doing at Clinton Power Station starting a week from Sunday. I've been here since March 7th doing new fuel receipts, now we're getting ready for the outage.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/searc...clear power plant during refueling#trb_search

Good morning, y'all! 64° and overcast. Had a thunder storm with a ¼" of rain overnight. Going to 86 today, before returning to heating season tomorrow.

Last night, the Baltimore Orioles experienced the ultimate FAIL, blowing a 9-1 lead and losing in 10 innings, 14-11. Wow! Explain that one Bucky!

Good Morning Everyone. It's still 77° and overcast. Weather gurus at Weather Underground are predicting a high today of 74° !@#$%&??? They are also saying that the thunderstorms will continue for the next few hours...What thunderstorms? Closest ones are in Oklahoma, 100 miles north. 85° yesterday.
Trainwise I re-staged some freights in the staging yard and cleaned the underlying track...not sure if it needed it, but I do it anyway when there's no trains parked on it. I use a non-abrasive eraser type of gadget on a stick that came from Woodland Scenics. I extended the upper level main line a little bit, not enough to fill all 12' of blank plywood, but a start now that I have determined how I want it to look. Included a turnout for a passing siding that will have an industrial spur(s) coming off it. I still have a large grain elevator left to build and haven't decided which of two available locations to place it in.

Garry - That's another fine scene.
I used a brake wheel for a freight car from my scrap box,
Likewise...on some truck models that I have. Lot's of extras from the old roundhouse kits.
Justin - Wow! The AC guys. Bad stuff. Regarding the sag, that kinda takes care of the grade! lol Seriously, I would look at both Curt's and David's suggestions. They would both work, but it may take a few weeks for the sag to disappear entirely.
Joe - Glad that the surgery is working out for you.

Well, I'm off to look for the elusive thundershowers outside. Maybe I'll find something in the yard that I should have picked up yesterday.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

A quick good morning. Getting ready to head over the pass to Livingston to visit the train show and the Livingston Model Railroad Clubs layout. Have the camcorder all charged up and hope to post some photos and video.

Later.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Good morning all, 38 and filtered sun. The aspen leaves have really appeared in the last couple days.

Found out the Twin Cities Model Railroad Club is having a big event at the State Fair Grounds Saturday the 13. I think I will be renting a table and taking a big box of stuff, as my new railroad is a considerable older era than most of my rolling stock.

Historical Artifacts, check out these travel books from 1925 and 1927.

Garry expressed some interest, I would like to give them away to a good home. Send me a PM. Maybe Garry wants the Colorado one and Chet the Yellowstone?

The front cover of each: There are a few age spots on them. They are about 25 pages long each, many photographs of landmarks included.

IMG_0967.jpg

The inside page showing the publisher

IMG_0968.jpg

The back page on each one has a map

IMG_0969.jpg

They also included the employees names and position:

IMG_0970.jpg

Please send a pm. I would hope they would be used and or displayed or eventually end up with an appreciative party

Morning! I will nevercatch up on all the posts in the last 24 hrs, but I will add this which I thought was interesting:

April 28 in railroad history: PRR S1 Duplex
Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:56 am (PDT) . Posted by: jlechner2001
Eighty years ago today, the Pennsylvania Railroad's board of directors authorized $300,000 to develop an experimental high-speed passenger locomotive that would be capable of hauling a 1,000-ton passenger train at 100 mph.

At the urging of Ralph P. Johnson, the new engine was going to be a 4-4-4-4 non-articulated duplex. This offered the advantages of smaller cylinders, and lighter reciprocating parts, compared to a 4-8-4 of equal size.

The advisory committee to oversee this project included Johnson, William Winterwood and H. Glaenzer (all of Baldwin Locomotive Works); Dan Ennis of American Locomotive Company; and Will Woodard and Samuel Allen of Lima Locomotive Works. It was headed by T. W. Demarest, General Superintendent of Motive Power for the Western Region of PRR.

The result of their research was PRR #6100, the class S1 duplex. It was exhibited on a test stand at the 1939 World's Fair lettered AMERICAN RAILROADS. Its rocket-like shroud, which was designed by Raymond Loewy, made it look like a page torn straight from a science fiction novel. #6100 was the largest express passenger locomotive ever built. Its locomotive bed (frame http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_frame, cylinders http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_(engine), valve chests http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Valve_chest&action=edit, steam pipes http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Steam_pipe&action=edit, and smokebox http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokebox saddle http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Smokebox_saddle&action=edit in a single casting) was the largest ever made; and its boiler was the largest ever built by PRR. The S1 turned out much heavier than anticipated—so heavy that its wheel arrangement had to be changed to 6-4-4-6 to support the excess weight. #6100 was enormous—at 140 feet it was longer than a Union Pacific Big Boy—and it had to be restricted to the western portion of PRR's mainline, between Chicago IL and Crestline OH, because its rigid wheelbase couldn’t negotiate curves elsewhere.

#6100 never achieved its design goal of hauling 1000 tons at 100 mph. Hence it remained the only member of its class, and it was retired in 1944. However, the experiment taught PRR valuable lessons which were applied to its class T1 4-4-4-4 duplexes.

Rivals Lionel and MTH both introduced full 1/48 scale models of the S1 in 2003 (Lionel 6-38024; MTH 20-3107-1). These ponderous locomotives measure over three feet long but somehow manage to negotiate 072 curves.

Joseph Lechner

Sherrel .... Interesting history about the PRR T1. Several years ago I had a Bowser model of one which was a basket case when I got it. I rebuilt it and added details. It was a fun project.
Dave (LASM) ..... Those promotional items are very interesting. I can wait to see if someone else is interested first.
Willie ... Thanks for commenting.
David (Trussrod) ..... Thanks for all of your remarks.

In this photo, the local train has departed from Prairie View and is rolling though the country with its mix of old and not-so-old equipment. It is hauled by an SD7. The Diner/Parlor car at the rear is one I made myself, and it is prototypically correct for the CB&Q. A branch line can be seen curving out of view on the right.

LocalpassengerEB_zpscf8fa612.jpg

Afternoon fellers. Nothing is damaged on the layout. Can't exactly hold anyone accountable as I wasn't witness to it. So moving on here. I'll put in some support to try and correct the sag I have. So moving on here I need to get my merchants row completed. More trees!!!! I'll add some more of those as well.

Good afternoon. It's overcast and 85.
The saga of the missing package concludes...
Yesterday, Amazon tried to find the package, which still showed as being in the Atlanta metro area, to no avail. It had never left, the usps had never gotten their mitts on it, so this time they didn't lose it. Amazon issued a refund for my pirchase price, plus shipping, plus a store credit for the aggravation. All this concluded yesterday.
This morning, I walked out to the garage, cranked up the tractor, and started mowing the yard when I noticed a box sitting on the back porch steps. Turned out it was my missing train, sent via UPS next day air. A call to Amazon, where I told them the reason usps hadn't received it was because somebody else delivered it, and nobody bothered telling anybody what happened... The person on the other end of the phone sighed, and told me to keep the package. So, for once I "made out", though I would much rather have had everything work like it should, without the aggravation.

Good afternoon. It's overcast and 85.
The saga of the missing package concludes...
Yesterday, Amazon tried to find the package, which still showed as being in the Atlanta metro area, to no avail. It had never left, the usps had never gotten their mitts on it, so this time they didn't lose it. Amazon issued a refund for my pirchase price, plus shipping, plus a store credit for the aggravation. All this concluded yesterday.
This morning, I walked out to the garage, cranked up the tractor, and started mowing the yard when I noticed a box sitting on the back porch steps. Turned out it was my missing train, sent via UPS next day air. A call to Amazon, where I told them the reason usps hadn't received it was because somebody else delivered it, and nobody bothered telling anybody what happened... The person on the other end of the phone sighed, and told me to keep the package. So, for once I "made out", though I would much rather have had everything work like it should, without the aggravation.

Happy ending to the story !

Glad to hear it !

Afternoon All,

Hot as Hades today. I worked on the pool for a little this morning and after lunch I spent a couple of hours and finished the kit. It's OK for now. It does look better than the cheap plastic box car I was using before. I don't think I will be doing another GC Laser kit anytime soon. I tend to be a little ham handed and it is real easy to mess up the paper used in the kit. I will try to do a picture tomorrow.

CA Dave- I use W/S Risers and I really like them. They are solid when glued in place and to hide the risers after the track work is done I use cardboard strips and plaster cloth like you would normally do (if you do hills that way). Of course wood risers are cheaper , but I have never attempted them.

Bob- Very interesting video.

Sherrel- WOW. Great Pennsy history.

Terry- Good deal. I'm glad it finally worked out for you.

Good afternoon. Got back a while ago from the swap meet and train show in Livingston. It's not very often I have the chance to attend these. Had a dusting of snow over night which you can see here going up Bozeman pass.

IMAG1118.jpg

There was a pretty good turn out with a little over a dozen tables set up with quite a variety of items for sale. I wasn't going to buy anything and looking at what was available, most of the HO scale items were too modern for the era I am modeling, except for one Alco S-4 which was custom Painter. I don't need any more locomotives.

I also visited the Livingston Model Railroad Club which is in the basement of the depot. The do have an impressive layout there. The layout does run through a few rooms and in one section, a model of the Northern Pacific station at Gardiner, MT was recreated from numerous photos taken in the 30's I believe.

As soon as I get all of the photos downloaded and sorted I'll post photos and some video from the club. I met a member of the Trainboard forum there who lives in Glendive ad does work for the railroad there.

While outside the depot by the tracks where I boarded the North Coast Limited when I was a kid, a BNSF stack train almost snuck up on me.

[video=youtube;8HS-216ehOs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HS-216ehOs&amp;feature=youtu.be[/video]

Took a few photos and went across to the old Murray Hotel for lunch and stopped by the swap meet for a few minutes. The little Alco S-4 was still there. It was an Atlas Classic DC version. It still had the old horn hook couplers on it. Walked around for a while and then talked him down fifty bucks. It ain't got horn hook coupler any more.

IMAG1151.jpg

Guess I'll download some photos, but time for a beer first.

Back