Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

My newest toy has arrived. It's a bit of a help when you work for a trucking company. Bought it out of Maine. We deliver up there a few times a week into Portland.

IMAG0690.jpg IMAG0691.jpg IMAG0692.jpg

We had one of these when I was growing up and I have been on the lookout for one of these for years in decent shape. Not a Concours quality but a great daily driver. Very clean and purrs like a kitten.

No high tech options on this. The only options I can see are the full wheel covers, front bumper guards, Two tone paint, radio and dealer installed turn signals.

Last edited by a moderator:
My newest toy has arrived. It's a bit of a help when you work for a trucking company. Bought it out of Maine. We deliver up there a few times a week into Portland.

View attachment 56429 View attachment 56430 View attachment 56431

We had one of these when I was growing up and I have been on the lookout for one of these for years in decent shape. Not a Concours quality but a great daily driver. Very clean and purrs like a kitten.

No high tech options on this. The only options I can see are the full wheel covers, front bumper guards, Two tone paint, radio and dealer installed turn signals.
When I lived in Kentucky, my 1950 F1 and my neighbor's 1951 Chevy dump truck both lacked factory turn signals. They both did have two taillights and brake lights.

Turn signals were an option in the late 40's and early 50's usually installed by the dealer. In 1953 my dad bought a new Chevy which had turn signals from the factory.

Here are how dealers installed the turn signals. Mounted around the steering column and it had an indicator light on the turn signal that would indicate that the signal was on. Simple but effective.

IMAG0693.jpg

I'm wondering how fast this thing will go. It only had 1,000 miles on the engine after a compete rebuild. Hardened valves and valve seats were installed for the unleaded gas. As I remember, if you managed to get anything over 50 mph on the little four banger, you were lucky.

Turn signals were an option in the late 40's and early 50's usually installed by the dealer. In 1953 my dad bought a new Chevy which had turn signals from the factory.

CHET, TERRY- Turn signals should be optional nowadays. very few folks use them a round here.. LOL

BTW, Chet, That is a great find. It's probably going to need an altitude adjustment - lol.

I have already run it into our shop and adjusted the carb. Here we are around 4,500 ft and I am around 5,200 at home. It does run a bit better after the fine tuning. Sure like playing with older vehicles. You can actually work on them. This one does have a six banger in it so I am curious what it can do.

Optional turn signals today ??? I think people might use the lever for hanging laundry. laugh.gif

Afternoon All,

No train work here today. I was going to rake leaves but the wind was strong enough it would of been a waste of time. MOH then decided I should go shopping with her and we did not get home until 3 pm and by then all I wanted to do is sit down. The grand kids are on spring break so my son is taking them tomorrow to a laser tag place.

Terry- Nice!

Chet- I had the same issue.

Erik- I hope you feel better.

Karl- I feel your pain. We put wood down upstairs and redid the stairs.

Ken- I'm glad you had a great time at the show.

Joe- Don't know much about snow, but I'm pretty sure it won't snow when it is 50 F. Gotta love the weather guessers!

LASM- Great looking scene and back drop.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening. It's clear and 50. Supposed to be heading for a hard freeze tonight. That should be interesting, since many green things have begun growing again.

Evening gents,
Cool find Chet!!

Nice to see David finally got his back drop project wrapped up. How long since you ran trains?

Something I learned yesterday, quite painfully, I had painted the roof on my little junction building - gloss black was all I had (gloss anything for that matter). So I hit with it with my new rattle can of Dulcotte. I was holding the roof in my hand. YOWEEE that crap hurts in a little bitty cut I didn't even know I had!!!!
I'd never used that stuff before but I should have know better anyhow.

It got mighty chilly in here last night since one of my floor heaters decided to quit on me. I may have to go upstairs and sleep in the proper bed under the 6" down comforter tonight. Problem is I dam sure won't want to get up then.
I'm ready some early supper and rack out.
E.

Chet: Great Willys. My Godfather had an ESSO station in the PA Coal region. He used to buy, repair and flip Willys to supplement his income.They were easy to work on.

I have already run it into our shop and adjusted the carb. Here we are around 4,500 ft and I am around 5,200 at home. It does run a bit better after the fine tuning. Sure like playing with older vehicles. You can actually work on them. This one does have a six banger in it so I am curious what it can do.

Optional turn signals today ??? I think people might use the lever for hanging laundry. View attachment 56434
You should live in a college town: they turn the signals on after they have started the turn or lane change. Unfortunately, they don't offer a course in common sense.

We do live near a college town. Montana State University is in Bozeman, about 10 miles away and I know just what you're talking about, but I avoid it if I can.

Say, ERIC- Just sitting here watching the weather on the tube ... saw this little dish and wondered how you were doing with the cashier at the store down the street. Most all the TV stations have some pretty nice looking gals to keep you interested because the weather does not change that much out here. I hear that she recently filed for divorce - Google her (Jackie Johnson).

jackie.jpg

Say, CURT - I spent some time working at the shelter today. Found this little kitty, but my wife wouldn't let me bring it home with me.

skunk.jpg

Good Morning All. 50 degrees and clear here this morning. I agree with Rex and Chet regarding college town drivers, but I go to the grocery store in a college town (Denton TX with UNT & TWU), and the younger female customers are something to look at; as well as their moms. Speaking of groceries, I made that trek yesterday...took up 4 hours of time for that and a few other errands in the "big city". I did get to paint some bare plywood a brown color later in the day on the layout. If the wind dies down today I will plant some tomato plants in the garden.
Terry - It is part of my physical fitness program; I also lift weights, 12 oz at a time. LOL Actually I do also walk 1-1 1/2 miles every afternoon and wave at the cows (coyotes, deer, bobcats, mountain lion, turkeys and skunks as well) along the way, since I don't pass any houses.
Dave- Backdrop looks great.
Garry - 250' is really nothing around here. Heck, my mailbox is 1.1 miles away in a different county!
Chet - Willy is looking good. What year is it? Or did I miss that somewhere?
Everyone have a good day.

Willie

Yeah Sherrel, She's a hot little thing all right!
Given her NFL ex and her new rock-n-roller boyfriend, I'd guess I couldn't bring anything to the table.... unless I was serving them supper. ;)
As to that the cashier babe, I haven't seen her in some time.
E

Chet, you need some tires about four feet tall and rims that cost as much as a house payment.........each! And don't forget about four shocks........on each corner. And two for the steering. And enough lights to see into the next county!

Just kidding. Seriously, it looks great just the way it is!

Sherrel, about your pets. I think we need to talk.:)

Got to get to sleep now. Got a dentist appointment for 2:00. I get to have the fun of a root canal. Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Back