Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVIII

LOL! No washouts, just the only thing that was planned, an unplanned re-doing of the track pattern after the "flat" had run it's course and I was comfortable with the equipment. Now I'm free forming some grades and a new bowl of noodles for the acreage in time for the winter gatherings.

Say, KARL .... You need one of these in your stable!
I think WM had a few.

2-10-0-1621-location-unknown-in-1935-Louis-A.-Marre.jpg

Afternoon All,

Worked on the signal face plate today. Made 4 of them until I was happy with it. I would post a pic but photobucket is not loading my pictures on the computer (but no issues on phone). I will post a pic later when I can. Tuesday I have to go to VA so afterwards I plan on going to the LHS for styrene for the project and a electrical outlet store for LED's and resistors. My plans are to build the first one all the way through before going into mass production.

Karl- Very nice display of brass loco's.

NG- Welcome back to the Coffee Shop. Your layout looks interesting. I used the WS Risers and Inclines on my layout.

Garry- Very interesting scene with the pumpkins.

Raincoat2- Welcome. I have no experience with the double crossover but do have a Shinohara 3 diverging track switch. It has been in place for 6-8 months without issue. The switch did have a slight bow in the middle that caused derailments and uncoupling. To fix the issue I ended up having to put track nails in where normally they wouldn't be. A small track size level is mandatory to do this. It took about 6-8 hours to get it right, but have had no issues since. Hope this helps.

Sherrel- Is that the Russian style decapod?

It looks like we are going out to supper with Mom & Dad. I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Worked on the signal face plate today. Made 4 of them until I was happy with it. I would post a pic but photobucket is not loading my pictures on the computer (but no issues on phone). I will post a pic later when I can. Tuesday I have to go to VA so afterwards I plan on going to the LHS for styrene for the project and a electrical outlet store for LED's and resistors. My plans are to build the first one all the way through before going into mass production.

Sherrel- Is that the Russian style decapod?

That's it, CURT. Frisco really liked them on the smaller branch line operations. Was said to "empty the yard" including the yard office.
I have one of the early PFM models ... it is a puller as well. All drivers flanged and takes 18 inch curves and #4 turnouts with no problems.

Good luck on the signal masks.

I found a picture of my previous layout. 6x4 layout. It makes me smile and just makes look back and see how far I have come with this hobby. Especially in the scenery department. I guess it does pay to take ones time doing things. It took me months to come up with my current track plan. It took me a weekend to come up with the one on my previous.
3c9b39700fc3680e8960fb3df6711f35.jpg

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

E -- Hope you're doing well. Fighting the Big C is a bitch Huh? Where's my light saber! Down with "the dark side". The Force will be victorious!

Dam straight Brother Sherrel!!!!!!

I just installed TapTalk Pro and this is my first try. I'm new to both this iPhone all its workings and apps and such so be easy on me!!
E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you "PRR". I'm going to try some "next level" (for ME) stuff, like painting the ground. I broke down and got some cork roadbed too. The WS risers work great for what I'm doing, grades with differing grades, from "zero" up to 4% and back. I'm naming them "2, 3, 4, 3, 2" and "2,4,4,2" etc, in honor of the risers used. There will be trees and an attempt at some various types of ground cover in a very small bit by bit manner if I don't like it it's only a few inches and easily covered by the next try.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Gents. 38 and clear here. Wow!! Maybe it's a good thing I am stuck in here.
E

Good Morning All. 46° and clear skies here in North Central Texas this morning. After two days of cooler weather, it's back into the 65-82° range for at least the next ten days.
Only spent about an hour in the train shed yesterday, as we unpacked from the trip and made the grocery/beer trek, laundry and other stuff around the house. Ran a few trains and put the final touches on a "Smalltown" structure that I have been assembling.

Garry - Like the pumpkin patch picture.
Justin - That picture of your old layout reminds me how far I came from one very similar. We've all been there...that's what makes everyone strive for and achieve better the second time. I'm on my fourth and final one.
Bruce (aka new guy) - I have heard many good things about the WS risers, since I model flatlands with no grades, I won't have a chance to use them though. Don't sweat the scenery until you feel that the trackwork is bullet-proof. I've been building for four years now. For three of them I held a full-time job and was limited with my time. While my trackwork is now 80% complete, my scenery on the oldest part is only 15% completed. I build a bit at a time and lay track, then advance some more and repeat. My unofficial goal is to have the benchwork 100% complete by year's end. Sometimes I wonder if I would have been better off doing as you did and completing all of the benchwork first...but I wouldn't be running trains as soon.

Here's a couple of more pictures from the "Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum" in Gulfport MS. First up is one of the outside, then three from one of their impressive Lego layouts.
10-20-16 057.001.JPG10-20-16 058.001.JPG
10-20-16 059.001.JPG10-20-16 060.001.JPG

This is a small but interesting place to visit. Inside they have two Lego layouts, a currently under construction HO layout, an O scale layout, and a N scale layout that I somehow missed. Out in the backyard, there is a large kiddie ride, and an under construction 7 1/2" gauge and a partially constructed G scale layout. There is currently no admission charge, but there is a donation box to help support it. They have only been in their current place a bit over a year and a half and there is lots of construction. I'll follow this post with another since I have already made my limit of four attachments.
OK, everybody have a great Saturday. More to follow.

Willie

Let's see if i can post a photo directly from the phone.
IMG_0135.JPGIMG_0136.JPGThese are looking north from my 4th floor hospital room.

Hey Garry, come see me. I'm right off interstate just north of you.

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited by a moderator:
In the last two and a half hours, the temp has dropped to 45.
Hopefully it will come back up, I'm supposed to do some outdoor work this weekend.

Back