Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Afternoon All,

No Modeling today. Did a couple of chores first then MOH and I went to the VA for her appointment. The up side is the LHS is close to the VA!. We stopped there and I was looking for plastic people and electrical cabinets (to go next to my signals). The people cost way too much and they didn't have the other. I think WS paints their figures in gold for what they charge! I did however buy strip styrene and wood for the looming project. I asked MOH for 2 Tichy 40' flat car kits that I will use as the base cars. Normally the flat cars were 52'6" but I need 40' (to be safe) for my layout. I already have the wheelsets, couplers and pockets, stake pockets, and 2 Pennsy 34' trailers.

Chet- Nice looking photos.

Terry- Sounds like it was a worthwhile business trip.

Toot- That was impressive. I was waiting for the trailer hitch to destroy itself and flip the trailer onto the truck.

Louis- Great looking family. I assume that is your daughter in the picture? I don't know if it has any relevance to what happened, but yesterday I read (ESPN) that he just recently converted to Islam.

Joe- Awesome pictures. The kids here just started their 3rd week of school. When I was a kid we started the day after Labor Day (El Paso).

MILW113- OK, I will bite...Or what? LOL.

Dave LASM- I just remembered you are in MN. You are in for a drastic climate and scenery change.

Eric- I'm glad your Dad made it there safely.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Think this sums it up nicely.

View attachment 58414

Sherrel it's just a business decision. The NFL rules prohibit any variation from the approved NFL uniform. Nothing can be added without league approval, can you blame them? They are just making sure not to offend anyone no matter how stupid they are because they want their money, it's capitalism at it's worst.

We can't have it both ways. Sometimes when freedom and capitalism coexist it's ugly. Would you like to see a new regulation?

I just found out that Gene Wilder passed away.

My favorite movie of his was The Silver Streak.
AMR_4070-4067.jpg

I suppose it will be on TV soon, that will be bitter sweet to watch.

...Louis- Great looking family. I assume that is your daughter in the picture? I don't know if it has any relevance to what happened, but yesterday I read (ESPN) that he just recently converted to Islam...

Curt that is my little wife, but my youngest daughter looks like her. My wife will be happy to hear what you said, God bless you :) I know you will have made her day!

Both of my daughters and my son-in-law were there too. My youngest daughter's boyfriend was there as well and he impressed me. He walked straight up to me and said "good morning sir, how are you?" I need to give him the benefit of the doubt. I can be too harsh a judge and too quick to find an excuse for my children when they act crazy. I tend to expect my children to be perfect, especially my girls, I'm working on it!

I just read that as well. I don't have any problems with Muslims, my late sister's husband is a Muslim. He was an outstanding husband and is a great father and grandfather, he loves and respects our country.

That other guy should take his dumb donkey and move to Mecca. I'll buy the plane ticket, if I get 5 minutes alone with him first.

Hi Curt, I am only going to be in Texas for a week or two. The new job is located about 120 miles south of where I presently live.

David have one of those big Texas steaks for me! Texas is one place I have to drive across!!!

Sherrel can I get a ride?

I want an RV. Did anybody see the episode of the King of Queens when Doug rents the RV because he saw a guy in one and the guy's wife was making steak-umms? I want to drive to Texas to get a real steak while my wife makes steak-umms for me. Man that is my idea of living!

David have one of those big Texas steaks for me! Texas is one place I have to drive across!!!

Sherrel can I get a ride?

I want an RV. Did anybody see the episode of the King of Queens when Doug rents the RV because he saw a guy in one and the guy's wife was making steak-umms? I want to drive to Texas to get a real steak while my wife makes steak-umms for me. Man that is my idea of living!

I will do that! Steak is one of my favorite foods!

Louis - That's a really nice photo of your family. I can see why you're so dedicated to those two boys. I happened to see the Silver Streak movie a short while ago.

Talking about steak, Last year when we were in El Paso, TX for a bowling tournament, some guy at the event told us about a steak house. For the life of me, I can't remember the name, but it was out east of town and down a side road quite a few miles at a ranch. OUTSTANDING STEAK. Probably one of the best I have ever had. A month or so later we were watching a show on the travel channel about some of the best steak houses in the country and there was that steak house we went to outside El Paso.

I should get outside and move the rain birds again. It is a bit warm out, 86 degrees and brown spots are starting to appear. We had a windy day yesterday and that sure sucks any moisture out of the ground.

Here are a couple of photos to end the day. The first is the Logan passenger station and the next is the morning passenger train getting ready to leave. You can see the B&O dining car at the left that will become a restaurant.

IMAG0850.jpg IMAG0849.jpg

Off to do the outside chores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet I think I saw that show!

My family is a gift from God, I have no idea how I got so lucky, but I'm thankful I did!

your photos look phenomenal! Are my eyes improving or did you get a new camera or something?

I love your layout, thanks for sharing!

Hey will the dinning car have a $5 breakfast? That is a great price, even I would be happy to go out to eat for those prices! I bet that steak house was a little bit more then $5.

The dining car will not serve breakfast. It is supposed to be a fine dining restaurant serving meals from railroad recipes. It can also be used for excursion trips with a coach as the lead car.

My layout is set in 1957 and if you want breakfast, you can go down the block to the Silver Star Diner and get a complete breakfast for 99 cents. The photos were taken using my cell phone. Thanks for the comment.

attachment.php

I know Terry, like I need another one, but it was cheap! I have little self control when it comes to trains.

It has been so long since I worked on my Lionel HO GM50 projects that I could not remember how to identify a made in Michigan locomotive. I can't even Remember if the 5516 was sold individually or part of a set.

I was consulting with Jeffery on that project before he ended up in the hospital and I told him I would wait until he got out to get back to it. I should complete more of them to honor him, but I just did not have the heart for it and other things are always coming up.

I need to find the boxes with them in it and go over my notes again, maybe this will inspire me.

Time for us to get to bed!

Have a great night Everybody!

Good evening.

I'm still busy. I was in Nashville again today. ... I have another trip planned starting at the end of this week. ... I saw a little CSX action while I was out today.

Chet ... I like your photo with all of the vintage vehicles.

Louis ... Looks like you did very well purchasing from Karl.

Karl ... IS there any chance you have Illinois Central passenger cars with the Lionel you are selling ? ... I know a guy who wants some.

Eric ... I'm glad your father arrived safely.

Good morning Everybody!

It's 75 with only 56% humidity under mostly clear skies in southeast Baltimore.

Louis ... Looks like you did very well purchasing from Karl.

Garry I always do well when I buy from Karl, thank you for noticing.

Everything I have bought from Karl is always better than he describes and his starting prices are more than fair. I think that why he does so well on eBay. Even his shipping prices are fair. It's obvious to see he is an honest man.

It works good for us to go through eBay because I only buy bargains and often the things Karl sells go beyond what I am willing to pay. I would not want him to forgo a chance to get a better price at auction. Some of the things he sold went for good prices, far beyond what I would have paid. I think it's a win, win situation.

I am so tight I squeak. I could have thousands in my pocket, but I won't spend a dollar extra for most things, unless it is something my family wants or it's a special (to me) train item or something I can turn a profit on.

Take our new car for example, I could have bought a Cadillac, but instead I bought a Chevy Sonic. It does the same job for much less. Bells and whistles are not important to my Wife and the Sonic gets her to work in 5-10 minutes the same as the Cadillac would. She loves how it handles, it is easy to park and the radio plays her classical music. I am more than comfortable in it, I love the price and operating cost. We will keep the money we saved, why give it to GM?

When my health began to fail I turned to consulting to keep working and I was amazed to see how many small business spend themselves into the red. Some could have been solid profitable companies but over spending was putting them under. A few even after my recommendations refused to change. They spent more seeking my help and ignored it.

Don't get me wrong; you have to spend money to make money, but you have to be cost effective. You have to meticulously evaluate spending to be certain it is cost effective. I believe you have to be fiscally conservative to maximize profit and effectiveness.

Disclaimer: I don't mean for that to be in any way political. For me it's not political, it's my way of life and it has served me well.

Hey Terry, congratulations on your successful sales event. I hope they give you a fair commission.

Hey Terry, congratulations on your successful sales event. I hope they give you a fair commission.

I don't get commision, just hourly wages.

As for not spending money, I pinch pennies until they scream for mercy. I have to, not having any, any more.
This has carried over to work, where we go through a good amount of batteries. Every trailer that gets sold uses batteries in remotes and various detectors, such as smoke and co. Our company was buying them from Interstate when we got the deep cycle batteries. This was convenient, but expensive. We were paying $2.49 per battery. I started getting batteries when I shooped at the dollar store, for a price of 8 for a dollar. While it doesn't sound like much, the business saved over $800 the first year.

Back