Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good Morning All. Looks like 71° with mostly clear skies here this morning. The cool weather we are having, less than 90°, meant most of yesterday was spent doing outdoor activities including some time in the pool. I did spend about an hour in the train shed continuing my benchwork construction and preping some additional structures.
Corey -
Willie, I hope you have a wood burning stove or fireplace to make use of all that wood!
My only house heat is a wood-burning stove. It has heated well for 35 years now. Low maintenance, sweep the chimney once a year and clean out ashes every 4-6 weeks. Train shed has electrical heaters.
Toot - Why don't y'all use regular roads down-under? LOL
Chet - That sounds like a good cafe for breakfast. Price is right. Too bad about the smoke, it's probably irritating, as well as destroying the landscape.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning Everybody!

It's 71 with 75% humidity under mostly clear skies southeast Baltimore.

It's the first day of school for my boys, I will miss them.

I hope the Ravens get another chance at this guy, but he should be removed from the league!

12216652-standard.jpg

Anybody who does not think this country is GREAT and is not willing to stand for our Flag and National Anthem should GET OUT NOW!

I will be the first to criticize the things I think are wrong with this country, but I will always stand and show respect for our GREAT NATION!

Have a GREAT day Everybody!

Good morning. It's 77,mostly clear,damp from overnight rain Should get back to 90 with scattered showers coming in in streams of clouds.

Wish everyone a good day.

Phil

Good morning. We're starting the day off at 50 degrees with an expected high in the low 80's.

Toot - Don't think I would want to go camping that bad. Would probably throw a tent and camping gear in the back of the truck instead of trying to pull that camper through that country. Probably took a while to pick up all of the stuff that wasn't secured inside that camper. Interest videos.

Willie - The smoke isn't as bad today. The winds shifted from the south to the west. This isn't uncommon during the fire season out here. The fires will probably keep burning until the first snows hit the are.

Corey - We used to heat our house (upper level) with wood only since we built it. Over the years we had a few different stoves and then got a pellet stove. At the time pellets were only $35 a ton. The prices climbed as the popularity of the pellet stoves increased and climbed to $80 a ton. We went to the pellet stove because the Forest Service started closing areas of the National Forest to firewood gathers and then we finally got a natural gas line to out house. We now use a stove that looks just like a wood stove and hears the whole upper level very well even during the coldest weather. The natural gas also saved us a lot when we were finally able to install a tankless water heater to replace the old electric water heater, and finally my wife got her gas range when we remodeled the kitchen last year.

Terry - Sounds like you had a busy but productive weekend. Now you should take a breather.

Eric - Hope you enjoy your dads visit. Thinking about you.

A quick photo of the Milwaukee Road switcher ar the bottom on the grade.

IMAG0858.jpg It was nice to have a little time to run trains.

Catch you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, 62 and light rain.

A couple more days on this job, then 9 days off (using up my vacation time) and then my last day here Sep. 9, first day on the new job Sep. 12. Really looking forward to the new position! Something altogether different then my jobs for about the last 30 years!

more later, Dave LASM

Good morning. 81 and fair. Looks like another fine late summer day. Do need some substantial rain, things are beginning to look parched or burnt.

Chet:
Natural gas is probably the best way to go, especially with the availability of high efficiency furnaces. The on demand water heater is on my list, when I next need to replace my water heater.

Louis: First day of school - already? the kids here don't go back until 7 September. Concerning the other individual you referred to, pay him no mind. He has never met expectations, and doesn't have the media exposure he thrives on, so he pulled this stunt to attract attention...Less said about him, the better...Just another example of the media making much over nothing to create push button issues.
On a brighter note, the O's finally put 9 innings together and shut out the Yankees. Now, three must wins coming up with Toronto.

Willie: As long as wood is abundant, there is no reason not to heat with wood.

PTC37235103on4thStreetatCaldwellStreetinChester.jpg

PTC3728Nos.5082and5092at3rdandCrosbyStreetsinChester.jpg

Two 1936 scenes, each two blocks from the house where I grew up. First one to the North, second to the West. By the time I was old enough to remember, 1952 or so. the tracks were paved over, and the Peter Witt cars replaced by GM buses. Everything else was pretty much the same, with some modern autos.

Joe - Those are some really fine old photos.

We got the Rennai tankless water heater. I did a lot of investigation before we pulled the trigger, and after checking various consumer reviews went for the Rennai. We did have to install a water softener to keep the unit under warantee, but we had been considering that for a while because we are on well water which in this area has a high calcium content. One of the rites of spring used to be draining the old electric water heater and removing the lower element and using a shop vac to suck out the calcium that had built up during the year. Of course you are not heating the water when you're asleep or are not home, but there is an endless supply of hot water. I can be filling the bath tub, have the laundry going, dish washer going and the wife still has hot water at the kitchen sink. We wanter to puch the limits of the water heater and couldn't run out of hot water.

Very nice trolley photos, Joe!
Happy Monday All ... Enjoying, I believe, our 118th consecutive day without a rain shower. Temps have been a little more moderate, but have started a climb upwards again - 96 expected today.

LOUIS, JOE --Well, doggies! My Spousal Unit (who always says that I am to critical and opinionated) said to me that she hoped that that un-named person that you mentioned, "I hope someone breaks his leg".
With all the "crap" that has come down in the past few years -- I don't have much respect for the NFL anymore. Might as well add the other professional sports to that as well.

Sherrel - I will have to on this subject. We used to be big NFL fans. In fact we used to have season tickets for the Miami Dolphins when we lived in south Florida, but over the years with the way some of the players have exhibited less than admiral behavior, we no longer watch any of the games. Can't see supporting the league. Back in the 70's, our season ticket cost $145 on the 45 yard line.

If this fool can't respect the country that afforded him the chance to play in the NFL and most likely make a salary way above the average working person, I have no use for him.

Yes, Pete Rose does belong in the Hall of Fame. I agree 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Louis: First day of school - already? the kids here don't go back until 7 September. Concerning the other individual you referred to, pay him no mind. He has never met expectations, and doesn't have the media exposure he thrives on, so he pulled this stunt to attract attention...Less said about him, the better...Just another example of the media making much over nothing to create push button issues.
On a brighter note, the O's finally put 9 innings together and shut out the Yankees. Now, three must wins coming up with Toronto.

View attachment 58412

View attachment 58413

Two 1936 scenes, each two blocks from the house where I grew up. First one to the North, second to the West. By the time I was old enough to remember, 1952 or so. the tracks were paved over, and the Peter Witt cars replaced by GM buses. Everything else was pretty much the same, with some modern autos.

Joe you make a great point, ignoring him is the best course of action, but to be honest if I had been at that game I would have been locked up! I have had enough of jackasses dog talking our great nation. Too many great souls have been lost defending our freedom. I have enough trouble with the trash talking, but not standing for the national anthem! As Bugs Bunny would say
sgtbugs.png

We have without question the most freedom any nation has ever had. We can protest as much as we like and if for no other reason than that we should all show respect for our great nation and our beautiful flag.

Neither the clowns in Washington or the clowns in the NFL or anywhere else can tarnish our great nation.

Great photos, thank you!

It's only August, win 2 out of every 3 and we will have the pennant!

LOUIS, JOE --Well, doggies! My Spousal Unit (who always says that I am to critical and opinionated) said to me that she hoped that that un-named person that you mentioned, "I hope someone breaks his leg".
With all the "crap" that has come down in the past few years -- I don't have much respect for the NFL anymore. Might as well add the other professional sports to that as well.

AND .. Let me add that Pete Rose should be in the baseball Hall of Fame too! That's BS!

Sherrel don't let those clowns take away our great sports. With everything that goes on in some schools and homes it may be the only place left we can teach; hard work, honor, respect and sportsmanship.

As for Pete Rose I support the ban he broke the golden rule of baseball, no gambling. It is written on the wall of every clubhouse. I think the time we show some mercy on Charlie Hustle is only after he is dead. No player should get the idea they will make the Hall of Fame in their lifetime if they gamble on baseball. I don't want my sport to turn into boxing.

Sherrel - I will have to on this subject. We used to be big NFL fans. In fact we used to have season tickets for the Miami Dolphins when we lived in south Florida, but over the years with the way some of the players have exhibited less than admiral behavior, we no longer watch any of the games. Can't see supporting the league.

If this fool can't respect the country that afforded him the chance to play in the NFL and most likely make a salary way above the average working person, I have no use for him.

Yes, Pete Rose does belong in the Hall of Fame. I agree 100%.

The last I knew the NFL minimum salary was $400000 and that clown is a veteran quarterback, he probably makes millions each year.

There have always been bad players. Pete Rose is a perfect example In days gone by the press would look the other way. In modern times the press can't afford to look the other way, no matter who or what it is. There are no hidden indiscretions or conspiracies, if there are they will be uncovered. It is the job of the capitalist free press and their nature, dirt sells and they need sales now more than ever!

Sports is an important part of the American fabric of life. Don't let the loud minority of bad players take it away from us.
BugsBunnyHomeRunDerby.jpg

First day at school for my boys!
Don't ask me why they can't wait until after labor day, but I won't let me boys hear me complain about it. "Just do what you have to do and like it!"
14184573_1066922233383403_8074764247395839187_n.jpg

Great looking family my friend!

I finally got my dirty mittens, on this cheeky wee bugger and it didn't cost an arm and a leg, which they sometimes do....lol

Hiawatha book.jpg

I think that this takes me beyond 60 books on and by the Milwaukee Road, obsessed or what?! lol

Dad showed up around 2320 last night safe and sound.
We stayed up a while and shot the breeze. Of course he had to see the trains.
"Only you could do something like this." he said.
We just got back from the store.
Time for a pill and a nap. He's engrossed in his book.
Later, E.

ERIC- Glad to know your DAD made it safely.

LOUIS- Read what you wrote about the media. They darn sure look the other way when it comes to politics. Do they REALLY investigate her???
Sorry, no politics here. "POLITICS- POLY=MANY TICS= BLOOD SUCKERS. Need I say more ?

Phil

Thank you 113 and congratulations!

I know those dirty mittens are happy!

It's not an obsession my friend, you are a fan, as in fanatic :) and that makes it fun!

E say hey from Baltimore for me!

Phil I will have to send you my Baltimore Sun when I finish reading them. Seems like everyday there is a new article about she who will remain unnamed. The New York Times has even more in depth coverage. You can read some of both online.
BaltimoreSun.com and NewYorkTimes.com "Just the facts Ma'am" I miss Dragnet.

Unfortunately politics has little to do with this mess we are stuck with as a presidential campaign. For me its the Devil I know or the Megalomaniac nobody knows. The choice is easy for me and I trust in my fellow Americans to make the right choice. I will respect the office of the President of the United States no matter what happens as I always have done.

Back