Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

I 'infiltrated' enemy territory on the face thingy in 'stealth' mode with a fake profile and spread the word about MRR to the veterans pages I was going to, We'll see if there is any response.

Ok, wassa deal? I hear all this about drop feeders every 3 feet and I SEE video's of people running 6 or more loco's on at least 30 feet of track with ONE power hookup! WASSA DEAL??? I gonna have to just chuck all the kind advice and find out for myself before I go drilling the heck outa my table? WHO runs HOW much on WHAT? out there?

One feeder every 3' - sounds about right. That equates to one feeder per section of flex track and seems to be the "going rule of thumb". Is it needed - NOPE!

There are (possibly) two schools of thought, and neither are wrong. One line of thought is to have a feeder for each section of flex track (every 3') to ensure that all of the track work has power all of the time, avoiding the possibility of a bad rail join somewhere, and that does make sense when you think about it. This line of thought probably falls under the heading of "preventative measures".

The other line of thought is to only use as many feeders as is needed to have power to all of the track. In other words, if you have 100' of track, use (say) 12 gauge wire for the main bus with 18 gauge feeders, then you might be able to get away with only having 4 feeders that will provide power to all of your 100' of track. As such, that is all some people use and do so successfully.

Both lines of thought work - both enable your track work to be powered and that is basically all that matters.

Personally, I like to have a feeder for each section of flex track for the reasons already stated. Sort of an insurance policy. Is it or could it be, over kill - most likely but it will/should/might save a whole lot of frustration and work should a rail join fail at some point causing a loss of power to one part of your track. This really is a case of "the more the merrier" :)

Good afternoon fellow Ballast Tampers and Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo, where's Francine, oh she took the day off, so you have your hands full then. Just coffee for me, black is fine.

What does WW say: Clear at 82.9 °F - Feels Like 82 °F;

Winds are from the SW at 2.7;
Humidity is at 37%;
Barometer is at 29.56 in/Hg

Good morning ....
Sherrel ... Thanks for your compliment.

David ... The fence I am talking about looks like a wood panel fence in the photos, but actually it is metal and is dark rust color. Jim Hediger called it a wood fence in his column, and his creative wring described how he thought I may have made it. LOL It does not bother me though. Glad to have the photo published.

We have a busy day planned.... Hope to see all of you tonight.

Hi Garry: I read what you said about the fence being Corrugated but until I pulled the image of the Junk yard office showing Dawg closer and enhanced it a bit and enlarged it, could I see the Corrugated sheets that made up the outside face of the fence. These did come in sheets and those were really heavy sheets too. I have an old Barn across the road and up about a 150' from my entrance that is covered with the old Corrugated sheets, roof and sides. I'd bet each sheet weighs between 15 to 20 Lbs. I covered one side of my tool shed roof wit the newer lighter weight Corrugated sheets which worked out very well and made a quick way to repair a leaky roof.

Thanks! Bout a third thru building it, getting exited for track!

Not a carpenter or builder or architect so I'm not ashamed to say I have no idea what a 45 degree corner gusset is. I DO have an actual carpenter building the thing for/with me so I was having no worries so far. The thing is so level we are 'sinking' and it is 1/2 inch lower now than where we started, the floor is SO wavy-gravy, after the turn towards the back corner the shelf will 'rise' again as the floor drops toward the drain. He is doing most all the cutting. ( It's MY 'vision' but It's HIS 'final' design!) I defer to experience as much as possible in any and all situations! I'm qualified for brackets and assembly but that's it for me on bench work! I'da had it all on saw horses and 3/4 ply with no guidance! THIS takes longer but will last longer!

Say Paratrooper: It is an triangle that fits in the corner of the L where the two tables butt together to form a 45* angle across the 90* area to aid in forming a smooth radius for your track to bend across much easier. They can be made to fill the corner as much as you want/need.

Did my description help you to under stand better?

Good evening everybody ...

David (in CA) .... The corrugated fence is cast metal ... I paint track before installing it using flat brown and flat black paint such as a Rust-Oleum primer paint in rattle cans. I spray black, and before it dries spray brown.

Curt ... Thanks for commenting ... Your scene looks great with the GP7's ..

Terry ... Regarding long tunnels, I allow room to retrieve derailed trains from underneath the scenery. Usually that requires crawling under the layout.

Garry: Thanks for the info I may try that here and there?

Awesome photo, Curt. Your bridge really turned out to be a great focal point. Like the Geeps as well .. I'm just not a fan of the BIG modern stuff, although they certainly do shake the ground especially grinding up a hill.

Garry, your junkyard scene rates right at the top of my list. As David said .. Your attention to detail is like a fine artist.

As it appears that I miss all the early risers back there .. I am going to start posting late at night. Hope all of you are safe and dry and away from all the wind and flooding.

Come on Terry .. I'm waiting on you!

Now, if you have those peepers open .. Feast on this ...
View attachment 52751

Sherrel & Phil: This place does move a lot faster than it did, for sure!
Nice picture of the F units.

Good morning ! Darn, behind by 12 pages. Already on third cup of joe. Be back later.
Phil

Good morning guys rain here in my town looks like it will do this all day, Ya'll stay safe and dry.

model-a chris,

Say Chris: You seem new to me so welcome to the forums.

M-1 or Marlin lever action. If I could see it I hit it. Not good with handgun.

Phill: I'm not so bad myself with a rifle or pistol.

Always to be respectful David, that's what taught me...
Yip, too darn young that is...!

Say Milwaukee: Thank Your Sir, it's appreciated, but just David is fine with me, I'm sure you have done many things to earn respect for too as your showing to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no electrician, but I have been told by the best that 80% of electricity "flows" on the surface of its conductor.
Now, I don't know diddly damn about DCC .. But my last HO 6x12 folded loop only had two feeders and I soldered every rail joint --cutting gaps where they were needed for turnouts. The main feeders were made from an extension cord .. Wiring for switch machines was salvaged telephone wire - non stranded.

I know that I am a dinosaur, but it all worked at that time. I just wish I could remember how I built the power pack.
It was all home built with a large four inch open coil 110 volt rheostat.

Where I was going with this is anyone's guess?
Oh look .. A squirrel!

image.jpeg

One thing for sure.... no can ever call me a procrastinator.
This was all done in less 3 hours.
I've never even touched plaster cloth before now. Once I got a handle on it I was about done.
A little over 2 rolls of WS C1203.
I laid sheets of paper towels on the frame and sprayed them with water then simply laid the wet plaster sheets right on. Easy peasie!!
Most likely I will do as suggested and put down a skim coat of hydrocal all over - just for strength if nothing else.
PA030029_1.jpgPA030028_1.jpg

Guess you've really got to work. Won't take long to add trees and ground cover. Well done.

Had to type this on the phone I'll let you know.

I'm no electrician, but I have been told by the best that 80% of electricity "flows" on the surface of its conductor.
Now, I don't know diddly damn about DCC .. But my last HO 6x12 folded loop only had two feeders and I soldered every rail joint --cutting gaps where they were needed for turnouts. The main feeders were made from an extension cord .. Wiring for switch machines was salvaged telephone wire - non stranded.

I know that I am a dinosaur, but it all worked at that time. I just wish I could remember how I built the power pack.
It was all home built with a large four inch open coil 110 volt rheostat.

Where I was going with this is anyone's guess?
Oh look .. A squirrel!
Sherrel, electrons flow along the surface of the conductor, usually wire. The thicker the wire, the more electrons can flow along its surface. Multiple stranded wire can use many smaller conductors to do the same work as a single, large, thick, not-very-flexible conductor.

Sherrel, electrons flow along the surface of the conductor, usually wire. The thicker the wire, the more electrons can flow along its surface. Multiple stranded wire can use many smaller conductors to do the same work as a single, large, thick, not-very-flexible conductor.

Ditto what Terry said. They taught us that in my first semester of electronics in college. There is a reason based on physics why that is but I don't recall. I can still explain transistor theory for some reason though.

Yes sir it's been a while since I've been here glad to be back, not talking much just trying to catch up with ya'll I from NC close to Charlotte. I am n-scale guy but like all trains and love the hobby I meet cool people.

model-a chris,

Well... I went up shut things down for the night.
When I shut off the main light I got this view.
Figured I'd best NG a good pic of his radio-active view.

I think I/we should entitle this 3-pic series "X-Ray of a Mountain".
Without further ado:
PA030030_1.jpgPA030029_2.jpg~

Attachments

• PA030028_2.jpg
    PA030028_2.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 156
Indeed an awesome effect!

'Radioactive'? Area 51?

Yeah, didn't you say something about how cool those LED lights made it look like it was glowing radioactive. I think it was a day-time pic where I just had the vertical ribs stuck down. Maybe that one early foggy morning. I remember the pics just not when exactly. Only a week or so ago.

One thing is for sure, is I have a built-in mechanism to testing light-proofing the thing!!
You ought to see how bright it is inside looking in from the back openings.

Yeah, didn't you say something about how cool those LED lights made it look like it was glowing radioactive. I think it was a day-time pic where I just had the vertical ribs stuck down. Maybe that one early foggy morning. I remember the pics just not when exactly. Only a week or so ago.

One thing is for sure, is I have a built-in mechanism to testing light-proofing the thing!!
You ought to see how bright it is inside looking in from the back openings.

The final outcome will be fantastic! 'Glowing' tunnels! It'll make folks wonder WHAT is going on In there!

Another 8 footer went onto the wall tonight. Making the last corner turn and it REALLY is starting to take some shape! Got shelf on all four walls now!
I put a couple shots on the thread of the way we are attaching it to the wall. Going to run thru the last of the 12 foot 1x4's QUICK, moan-day morning I'll get another bunch.

lololol...thank you for causing me to blow my beer out my nose!!!!!

GENETK44 .. Sometimes I have a thought and before I can two finger peck it down .. I've got alligators up to my armpits and it's sort of hard to remember that the objective was to drain the swamp!

GENETK44 .. Sometimes I have a thought and before I can two finger peck it down .. I've got alligators up to my armpits and it's sort of hard to remember that the objective was to drain the swamp!

Say Sherrel: That's quite a quote! "Alligators up to your armpits trying to remember for all the distractions you were supposed to drain the Swap"! LoL

I can still explain transistor theory for some reason though.

Transistors and printed circuits was why I lost interest in radio and electronics at about 12 I think. I liked to see the little filaments in the glass valves (tubes) flickering. Looked like something was actually happening.

Back