Running Bear's Coffee Shop LV

Good evening everybody ...

David (in CA) .... The corrugated fence is cast metal ... I paint track before installing it using flat brown and flat black paint such as a Rust-Oleum primer paint in rattle cans. I spray black, and before it dries spray brown.

Curt ... Thanks for commenting ... Your scene looks great with the GP7's ..

Terry ... Regarding long tunnels, I allow room to retrieve derailed trains from underneath the scenery. Usually that requires crawling under the layout.

Awesome photo, Curt. Your bridge really turned out to be a great focal point. Like the Geeps as well .. I'm just not a fan of the BIG modern stuff, although they certainly do shake the ground especially grinding up a hill.

Gerry, your junkyard scene rates right at the top of my list. As David said .. Your attention to detail is like a fine artist.

As it appears that I miss all the early risers back there .. I am going to start posting late at night. Hope all of you are safe and dry and away from all the wind and flooding.

Come on Terry .. I'm waiting on you!
image.jpg

Now, if you have those peepers open .. Feast on this ...
image.jpg

Good late evening,

Good evening everybody ...

David (in CA) .... The corrugated fence is cast metal ... I paint track before installing it using flat brown and flat black paint such as a Rust-Oleum primer paint in rattle cans. I spray black, and before it dries spray brown.

Curt ... Thanks for commenting ... Your scene looks great with the GP7's ..

Terry ... Regarding long tunnels, I allow room to retrieve derailed trains from underneath the scenery. Usually that requires crawling under the layout.

Say Garry: Maybe I didn't clearly see what I thought I did as I don't recall seeing Corrugated fence, where exactly is that?

Cheers David....likewise young man, sorry for you loss!

Say Milwaukee: You flatter me with the young man stuff, thanks. I meant to say your friend was only about12.5 yrs old like my friend, as I recall.

Evening All,

Worked again on the pool and sprayed off the pool deck for the kids tomorrow. Looking forward to the train show with my Dad tomorrow. It's about an hour drive from my house. We also went grocery shopping today mainly for treats for the kids. I actually got a chance to run a coal drag for about 30 minutes today..it was fun. I really like the longer H21's instead of the shorter Pennsy hoppers.

I have had a turnout for a passing siding that about 50% of the time causes a derailment that I have been meaning to look at (don't use it very often). I knew it is level and in gauge so today when I was having issues I happened to standing over it watching and had an epiphany. I had placed a detail metal casting of a pnuemo hydraulic switch machine too close to the left outer rail that was causing the derailments. I moved it back a little bit and Viola! I could run through the switch both ways at 50 smph. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

Garry- Like I have said before-Your modeling is impeccable.

20151002_143118_zpshc8vttfu.jpg

I hope everyone has a great night.

Say Curt: I long for the time when I'll have my layout far enough along to be able to do some actual scenery work to get to the stage like you, Chet & Garry are at as well as others. It makes it so much more enjoyable to operate on a sceniced layout. Your is looks very nice too. Glad you got a chance to pull the coal drag around like you said.

I'm also glad you were able to spot the trouble spot with your turnout switch machine placement. That reminds me that I have a atlas turnout in a hidden area and it has the older larger style of motor on it. I've had a problems in the past with the pads of my track cleaner hitting the switch motor as they passed by and wasn't quite sure what to do about it, too many other issues to deal with, and loss sight of the fact there is an extention to move the motor away from the rail more but never did it but if I still have the adapter I will now. Thanks for making me think of that.

We are now living in the 21st Century again as far as water goes.

Got the whole back wall finished off!
View attachment 52748I'm DOING it and cannot believe I'm doing it!

Say Paratrooper: Good to see your making progress, you'll probably need to have 45* corner gussets cut for smoother track transitions as it curves around the inside corners. Your probably well aware of this but thought I'd mention it just in case. I also forgot the will probably will be needed on my layout too in a little while?

Good morning ! Darn, behind by 12 pages. Already on third cup of joe. Be back later.
Phil

Morning folks,
60 and heavy rain right now. Probably will be all day.
Guess I'll get a cup and head upstairs and try to do a little something.
E.
~

Attachments

• coffee_pot.jpg
    coffee_pot.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 217
Page 67 .
Love the pictures. New Guy- Do you have enough space for your dream pike ??
Big E- You're a workaholic.
Was in the house when Andrew's eye ruined it. Here in mid Fla. in 2004 and worked evacuating folks. Then getting them home.
Hope everyone stays safe.
Phil

WOW! Just too much to put into words. Thanks for sharing your pictures of your pikes. Such talent!
Ohm meter ? Have one, don't know how to use it.
Y'all have a nice day.

wow

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning. It's (still) raining heavily, and has been for several days, and 49. I live near the top of a hill, and my basement, which has a garage door on the downhill side, is flooded...

image.jpg

Good morning Terry. Do you know the name of the ROOT that is as valuable as gold ? They dig it up in the Carolina's Just can't think of it.
Phil

You kids need to remember to leave a way to retrieve stalled/derailed equipment from inside those tunnels. A rod, reel, and fish hook are not generally considered wreck removal equipment.

LOL! I have been on the forum too long to make THAT rookie mistake! It' is being designed 'hollow' for just such! Tunnels make my teeth grind, I can't see the trains! The tunnel will only be just long enough to be there for their protection at the most likely accidental contact point. I'm already feeling VERY protective of 'MY Babies'!

Good morning Terry. Do you know the name of the ROOT that is as valuable as gold ? They dig it up in the Carolina's Just can't think of it.
Phil

That's ginseng Phil. I used to gather some around my house when I lived in the western NC mountains. Terry knows whereabouts I was. Learning how to spot is not easy as it looks a LOT like poison ivy.
Another popular plant harvested from that area is galax commonly used by crafters and floral arrangers.
E.

Good morning guys rain here in my town looks like it will do this all day, Ya'll stay safe and dry.

model-a chris,

Good morning. 52°, and still raining this morning. Two positives, one the hurricane stayed well off shore and was not a factor in our weather, so we did not have a "Sandy" event or even an "Irene" event. Secondly, because of our recent prolonged dry spell, the ponds, streams and reservoirs are able to handle the runoff.

The Devils completed their pre-season with a shootout win over Phila, while the Caps beat the Bruins, also in a shootout. The regular season opens next week.

That's ginseng Phil. I used to gather some around my house when I lived in the western NC mountains. Terry knows whereabouts I was. Learning how to spot is not easy as it looks a LOT like poison ivy.
Another popular plant harvested from that area is galax commonly used by crafters and floral arrangers.
E.

Was skeptical of Ginseng before I TRIED it! It is very nearly all they say it is! In Korea they sell a soda with Ginseng syrup in it. The BEST hangover 'cure' EVER!

ERIC-Thanks. Just couldn't remember the name.

A
friend of ours moved to N.C. and is a surveyor. He and his crew were out on a job and got shot at by the next landowner as he thought they where after his ginseng. Turns out he is an ex-con and has warrants out on him. This was last week. Job is still waiting to be finished.
Awed by your multi talents. Who were you in your previous life???
Phil

Stupid dictionary ! They go right by ginseng- from gink-go to gin rummy. Discovery channel had a couple shows on the fights/deaths over harvesting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good late evening,

Say Paratrooper: Good to see your making progress, you'll probably need to have 45* corner gussets cut for smoother track transitions as it curves around the inside corners. Your probably well aware of this but thought I'd mention it just in case. I also forgot the will probably will be needed on my layout too in a little while?

Thanks! Bout a third thru building it, getting exited for track!

Not a carpenter or builder or architect so I'm not ashamed to say I have no idea what a 45 degree corner gusset is. I DO have an actual carpenter building the thing for/with me so I was having no worries so far. The thing is so level we are 'sinking' and it is 1/2 inch lower now than where we started, the floor is SO wavy-gravy, after the turn towards the back corner the shelf will 'rise' again as the floor drops toward the drain. He is doing most all the cutting. ( It's MY 'vision' but It's HIS 'final' design!) I defer to experience as much as possible in any and all situations! I'm qualified for brackets and assembly but that's it for me on bench work! I'da had it all on saw horses and 3/4 ply with no guidance! THIS takes longer but will last longer!

ERIC-Thanks. Just couldn't remember the name.

A
friend of ours moved to N.C. and is a surveyor. He and his crew were out on a job and got shot at by the next landowner as he thought they where after his ginseng. Turns out he is an ex-con and has warrants out on him. This was last week. Job is still waiting to be finished.
Awed by your multi talents. Who were you in your previous life???
Phil

Stupid dictionary ! They go right by ginseng- from gink-go to gin rummy. Discovery channel had a couple shows on the fights/deaths over harvesting it.

I was a land surveyor in western NC for several years and have had a gun leveled at me before. Who does your friend work for up there? I know tons of surveyors all over NC.
I would not be a bit surprised if me and him don't know some of the same people.
Ginseng "hunting grounds" are well protected and closely guarded secrets to those mountain folks.

As to who I may have been in a "former life" - who knows.

Back to the mountain building - a few more hours and I'll be done with ribbing. Need to cut some strips first though.
E.

Back