Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

GARRY- Ive neglected him and darn near everyone else for about a week. I'll have to give him a call later this evening or tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Phil
I think I'm upto page 71
Got to go. ttfn

(omg!) LMAO! We had my sister convinced there WAS such a thing as a "Nauga", that lived in the Arctic and was a land dwelling type of Walrus!! THANk YOU! I have not thought of it in YEARS!! (oh, she was MAD when she found out the truth!)

What do you mean? I used to see them all the time when we'd go arctic snipe hunting!!!
E

Pecking away at it with the 80 grit and have two sections ready to be wiped down and painted, at this pace the sanding will be done Monday evening!

60 grit will help you along faster. Might finish by Monday morning!

It's a thought, but that 80 digs in pretty good!

The lift-push back and forth with the paper is KILLING the shoulders but I'm on the down hill side of the run now and no more slowdowns will be tolerated!

Good afternoon. It's sunny and 86.
The fleet has been reduced by one, and not in a good way.

Here CSXT 391, a fictitious Chessie/B&O Heritage unit, awaits the torch at Hackencut Shops. 391 was operating as run-through power on a coal train on the Winston-Salem Southbound railroad, when it was involved in a major derailment. After an eight foot fall, it landed nose-first on the concrete floor, with expected results. This was the last casualty of the layout, before 2/3 of it was removed for a serious rehab. 391 has been retired, and struck from the roster, effective today:

44DBE591-3813-4882-91D9-15511F519E29.png

Here CSXT 391, a fictitious Chessie/B&O Heritage unit, awaits the torch at Hackencut Shops. 391 was operating as run-through power on a coal train on the Winston-Salem Southbound railroad, when it was involved in a major derailment. After an eight foot fall, it landed nose-first on the concrete floor, with expected results. This was the last casualty of the layout, before 2/3 of it was removed for a serious rehab. 391 has been retired, and struck from the roster, effective today:

Many condolences :(
Taps

Chet- Only one of the six is in your years. It's a 40 ft. Blt. 7-43 Orange color.

Terry- The other five vary from 6-60 to 7-76.
T/S coming in. closing down. back later.

Phil

Oh, Terry ... That was not much of a problem ....

Soocollision1.jpg

Hi gang,

Sorry if I have been absent of late, but they fired my boss on the 4th, and one of my other co workers has been on vacation since the 8th. That means 12-14 hour days for me. I've been stuck with a cashier trying to write tickets, and Tiny the wonderdummy, also trying to write service tickets. Relief comes Tuesday, as my vacationing cohort returns, and Tiny the wonderdummy takes a few days off.

On the other hand, DIL # 2 has announced the test results, and child #1 is going to be a boy! Were still waiting to find out what DIL #1 is going to have for child #4 (Grandchildren 4 & 5 respectively. ) . I'll let you know what the score is but its either going to be boys 5, girls 0, or boys 4, girls 1) I'm betting on boys 5. after all, that's how many the prior generation is made up of.

Started off the day patching the driveway. it too 12 bags of driveway patch and 1 rented flat tamper to make it all smooth again. That flat tamper rental was the be 60 bucks I ever spent on a rental. Takes no time to get a flat, smooth surface that is hard as rock! Lawn got cut, driveway sealing commences at 8 a.m. tomorrow. til then, I'm taking a break!! I do have some trains to work on,,,hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

We have the technology, we can rebuilt it!

We have the technology, we can rebuilt it!
Well, it hit the floor so hard it knocked one of the flywheels off the motor, as well as breaking the mounts and one driveshaft. About the only thing not mangled is the trucks and fuel tank. And I think the front truck is tweaked. All the other stuff is kind of just sitting there so I could take the photo.

Good afternoon fellow Spike Ponders and Ballast tampers,
Hi Flo and Francine, how is everything here at Jeffrey's Dinner? I think a cup of coffee sounds good for now, maybe more later?

Weather wise, WW says it's, Clear and 92.3 °F - Feels Like 89 °F;

With the Wind coming from the West at 4.7 mph;
Humidity is 25% & the Barometer is at 29.83 in/Hg.
Sun and Mon are supposed to warm up a bit but then it should start to cool down a bit.

On the HoBo scene:
Say Francine, your a Looloo;
How about some; Mulligan stew (1) – Stew made from the combined contributions of everyone who wants some (or) The stew consists of large chunks of beet, buffalo (when available) or hamburger, potatoes, onions, carrots, or other vegetables and seasonal herbs.
= = = =

I'm like that at the club (I'll say unfortunately, but don't really mean it) when others lift a derailed car or loco back on the tracks. I know they have models too, but if later I find somethings broken or fallen off (something you've maybe yet to learn about) and I did the lifting and placing, then I've no-one else to blame, but if they did, well, who can tell (Oooh yes! THAT"S the one HE touched)

Say Toot: That even happens to me picking up my own Loco's and cars. The doors on the MDC Box Cab Diesels don't have any steps below them and are directly above the drive trucks and I've added plastic step but tend to pick them up wrong and break the steps off. You should hear some of the foul language I hear after I do that from the crew!

Thank you for the reinforcement! I have been watching many videos of people building layouts and that is the way they do it so I was not about to buck the system! HE gets 'ideas' sometimes. Not nailing down the track till it is just right was always in the plan, the middle section may never get 'tacked' down due to continuous changes, at least no time soon.

Say Paratrooper: The main thing I've found is to just use small wire brads to hold the cork road bed in place and also to hold the flex track in position using the central hole in the ties every now and then but No Glue or adhesive to so making changes are just a matter of pulling out the wire brads and repositioning things. If your going to have the road bed or even the rail sit on plywood or the like that the small nails will be taped into be sure not to tap them in so hard your ties begin to form even a shallow 'v' as that will pull the rails together and form a tight spot and cause problems.

David: I'm not sure who came up with the design, some early industrial diesels and some diesels made by Whitcomb, for the Army in WW2 also had center cab designs.
Lima was located in Ohio, a noted builder of Steam Locomotives. Their diesel production was rather limited. Ultimately, they merged with another Ohio company, Hamilton, and traded as Lima Hamilton. In the early 50s, they again merged with Baldwin Locomotive of Philadelphia, PA and became Baldwin Lima Hamilton. Baldwin was another major Steam builder, that built numerous diesels, but was out of the locomotive business by 1958. I don't know how they were pronounced, I always pronounced it lima like the bean, but then again I'm not from Ohio. They also call soda "pop", so maybe they pronounce it differently.

Say Joe: Again your knowledge is very much appreciated and enjoyed as most wouldn't know that otherwise.

Good morning shopsters! 57*F with dense fog here in my part of central Maryland - guess I'm not getting that warm moist harbor breeze, eh Louis?

Terry that coffee smells great, sure wish I was still able to drink the stuff.

Mil - by "old country" do you mean Sweden?

Eric hope you feel better.

NG keep on pluggin' on that trainroom prep.

Garry and Chet - your photos look great, keep 'em comin!

Sherrel - I'm sure I, too, will be drafted into "GranDad's Babysitting Service" once my daughter starts producing!

Boris - hoping to see some pix of your modular layout soon.

David - I, too, learned early on that it is not a good idea to solder the joiners of a turnout if I ever want to re-use it! I always solder a bunch of leads to each one before installing it, especially to the point rails (major PITA but pays off in the long run).

Did I miss anybody? If so, my apologies; I dare not navigate off the page lest I lose my entire post like I often seem to do!

Went to an op session at a friend's house in Hagerstown last night. The session itself was great, but as I was walking away from his house afterward, I couldn't see this narrow drainage ditch beside the street and I stumbled forward and fell flat on my face! Luckily I was able to cushion the fall so I didn't break any bones, just scratched-up my fingers/elbows/knees.

Still working on that Micky Dees conversion, trying to replicate the arch billboard. I'm going to start a whole 'nother thread [with pics] about the project sometime in the near future. Gotta run, need to pickup a few tools then go to the bi-monthly meeting of the Four Country modular club around noontime. See you all in another few days...

Say Ken: Yah, soldering rail joiners on turnouts can cause lots of problems if you ever need to remove or re-position it. Jumper wires soldered to the stock rails, the outside rails, should be all that's needed.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad it wasn't worse. I try to carry an Led flash lite with me at night. I picked two up from Costco some years back for $20.00 bucks and now they have three for that price. The Led they have is very bright and even has a high and low setting plus some other settings.

The only thing I have a problem with is that the battery caddy which holds three AAA batteries, tends to break after a while and I haven't been able to find a source for replacements for them. I use the rechargeable ones batteries which seems to work out well.

Broadway makes em , they are brass and heavier than they look, It is supposed to be a 1929 sedan but I have my doubts about exactly what car they think it is. I have not run it yet, I may have bought 15 pieces of junk for all I know instead of Loco's, won't know for sure for a couple weeks yet. I've got a spectrum to go thru, BLI, Genesis, Bachman, Rivarossi, I'm going to be busy!

Say NG: Thanks, I forgot that, My supplier handles Broadway Limited so I'll have to check to see if they carry them?

Joe ... Santa Fe had a few of the Baldwin double ended engines. Thanks for remarking about he grain elevator.

Diesel2601_zps97lozco1.jpg

David ... Thanks for commenting about the grain elevator.

Say Garry: As always your welcome to the complements, your modeling and scenery work is very good.

I also appreciate your posting of the Baldwin Center Cab Diesel as I didn't know about them either other than Joe mentioning them too.

I've had the inspection car. It works good, is not as fussy about dirt as you would think, and is a bit oversized in order to make room for the motor an decoder. Bob told me it was based on a real car, but I've forgotten which one.

Say Ken: even a decoder in something that small, Wow, but electroinics sure have minatureized from when I first got into the field around 1957, I think it was?

Say Phil: Good to see you posting again.

Say Karl: Where have you been man, maybe took a trip in your new Pick-up? Hope to hear from you soon.

Well, it hit the floor so hard it knocked one of the flywheels off the motor, as well as breaking the mounts and one driveshaft. About the only thing not mangled is the trucks and fuel tank. And I think the front truck is tweaked. All the other stuff is kind of just sitting there so I could take the photo.

Such is War!
untitledjeep.png

Back