Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Guyz: Deer are quite common here in Central Jersey, even in our congested urban/suburban environment. They have fed on our Hostas, Sedums and even some bean stalks. Later, they will feast on acorns. They are a real PIA. My sons new home is blessed with diversified wildlife, deer, turkeys and snapper turtles, among others.

The animal control people recently collared a coyote in Corona, (Queens), so those critters are everywhere searching for food and Roadrunners.

Previously endangered Bald Eagles, are becoming a bit of a nuisance, with suburbanites complaining of the birds sweeping down and inviting their little fluffy for lunch.

Working on Front Street brickwork, and the Pier 7 building today. The warehouse windows are a PIA to work with.

Boris

Here in Illinois Deer are a big problem. Im in a small town, and travel mostly rural highways on my way to work, so I see them all the time. Here in the next 6 weeks when they start to harvest crops they will be all over the roadways. I leave for work at 5am, so the combination of crop production, and it staying darker longer in the morning you have to be on a constant lookout of them!

Well, I just finished a couple hours in the train room gluing down cork roadbed.
Yesterday was a warm one in Alabama and I swigged down 96 ounces of ice water during the afternoon and evening.
Of course what goes in, must come out and my sleep was non-existent after the third trip to the bathroom at 3 AM.
Good thing I decided to check on my roadbed progress. I had connected arcs for two different tracks just before I quit last night.
I'm glad the caulk had not completely bonded with the foam board, so I was able to pry up the cork with an old spatula.

Relaid the cork following the correct line and added several more feet of roadbed until I ran out of T-pins to hold the cork in place on the curves.
Retirement is so great when you need to grab a nap about 6:30 in the morning. YAWN!!!!!
Everyone have a good day!

Good Morning all,

It’s a very muggy 70 degrees in Northern Illinois. Supposed to storm this morning, but we shall see.

Have a great day,

Good Morning All. 76° and partly cloudy. More of the same weather here. Forecast is still for rain beginning Wednesday for a few days. Hopefully.
Looking forward to Felix, our remodeling contractor, coming back today and hopefully completing all of the loose ends in the bathroom. We've been using it without towel racks, linen storage shelves, mirror and shower door. And of course the reversed shower faucet that he has to fix from the next room. I'm not sure that he can complete everything today, but there's hope.
Switched directions completely out in the train shed yesterday. While I did do the mortar on another side of the warehouse, I worked on scenery just because I got the urge. I added ground foam to an area between the fascia and the main line on the upper level for a length of 36". I probably ballasted that line and painted the plywood at least eighteen months ago. Today I will add some field grass and a few small trees after I add foam and gravel between the main and the passing siding. I am truly attempting to get more scenery done now that all benchwork and most trackwork is done. I started a list of the small projects a few weeks ago, and paused after filling one side of a page in a spiral notebook. 27 projects and I only got half way around the lower level. The list will help keep me focused even though yesterday's project wasn't on there yet. I have one major project after the fascia install, that is installing the lights under the upper deck.
Critters: There's a Corps of Engineers flood control dam and lake across the road from my house, that has water in it all of the time and attracts lots of critters because of the drought. Deer here are not a nuisance yet. There's a few in the neighborhood, more now than normal. A few turkeys lurk in the woods. Coyotes and bobcats keep the rabbits and rats under control, Snakes keep the rats and mice at bay. I don't know what the mountain lion survives on, probably whatever it wants. Armadillos, opossums and raccoons provide food for buzzards and vultures when they get on the road; otherwise they are a nuisance and I have to relocate them. No bears around here though. The skunk population has been somewhat reduced for some reason, at least they don't announce their presence as much as they used to.
Chet, Mike and Joe - Those deer wouldn't be a problem if they would just cross the road where the signs direct them to.
Sherrel - Watch out for those late nights!o_O Zombies abound on the left coast.
Chet - Don't need a mirror, I already know what I look like! Like you, I can also remember a time when I could add Kadee knuckle springs without extra eyeballs. I have recently moved from readers to Optivisor.

Gotta go now. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning gang
75 with bright sun, looking close to 90 today..
About deer, they are thick as bugs on a bumper here. I've had one on my bumper before, it sucked! This is what happens with no natural predators and a NIMBY attitude about hunters. :(

Good morning gang
75 with bright sun, looking close to 90 today..
About deer, they are thick as bugs on a bumper here. I've had one on my bumper before, it sucked! This is what happens with no natural predators and a NIMBY attitude about hunters. :(

I e been lucky, in 32 years of driving I’ve only hit one. It messed the front end up something fierce, and the insurance company totaled it out. I have a 12 mile stretch that’s really bad on my drive to work. Windy, tree lined both sides and I slow down to 45 through there. It honks the drivers off behind me because you can’t pass. It creates yet another dangerous situation. People can’t seem to leave for work till the last absolute minute.

Good morning. A chilly start to the day at 44 degrees at 0400, with an expected high near 80. Temps are expected to be in the 90's by mid week. I guess I will be out mowing that lawn today.

Mike
- Be careful on those roads. I used to have to leave around 0530 to get to work and that's when I managed to get three deer in five weeks. The guy at the body shop said that he moved the target to the back bumper. Haven't hit one since. Not a very good time to be on the roads.

Willie - It sounds like you got a lot of work done out in the train shed. Post some photos. I have been using optivisors for a few years now. I have one down in the train room and another at the work bench.

Mikey -
Making progress on the roadbed is good. Track comes next. Enjoy your nap.

As soon as it warms up a bit I'll get going on the mower.

Here's a track picture for today.

railroad-2110022_960_720.jpg

Later

Good morning. 84° and sunny with a heat warning...

Karl: Deer hunting here in Jersey is very restricted, especially with shot guns, Bow season is twice as long. The deer also have this ability to find all the protected spots, and ride out hunting season there. There are no public game lands, only preserves. Of course, in a densely populated state, you really don't want someone with a shot gun in your back yard drawing a bead on some critter.

Willie: That's because those signs are written in people, and not in deer language... so they don't comprehend the message!

NIMBYs here are paranoid, every time a military aircraft, or if a NJNG Blackhawk flies over. They also foam at the mouth over the catenary wire, that powers the NJCL trains from Long Branch to NYC. They think they are really sophisticated, when in reality they are gullible and stupid!

Have a great day.

Boris

Good morning ...

Speaking of car-deer accidents, there are numerous such accidents in this area. I know several people who have hit deer with their vehicles. Some guys have their trucks equipped with heavy duty bumper guards for that reason.

Chet .... I like that rail photo.

Joe ... Have fun working on Front Street and Pier 7 Building.

Willie .... For you ...

Good Morning - Well, we are back into the triple digits today, and looks as if we will be there for several days. Have to do some volunteer work at the dog shelter this morning. Don't have too, but "want" too! Have a VET appointment late this afternoon for my larger dog - several of her shots are now a couple months overdue. I keep thinking that I will work on a model project, but after everything else - do not seem to find the time. I am working on getting a corner to at least set up a small work area.
Mickey - That's a lot of liquid; I would relish only having to make three trips at night. That's in the normal range for me - most times I can add at least one or two more!
JOE - You got your "funny hat" on this morning, I see. Great comments, and you are on point; I call it the dumbing down effect.
Garry, Willie, and others: Just because you own a chainsaw does not make you a logger!
Chet - Nice track photo!

Sherrel ... What was that? ... The sequel to Chainsaw Massacre? ..... LOL .....

Last month, we paid professionals to cut down big trees next to the house. After seeing that video, I know it was a good idea to hire pros.

Montreal...a city of 3 million people on a 30mi.x10mile island in the middle of the St. Lawrence river and we have coyotes,foxes,raccoons all living in the city with the odd moose and deer visiting. These critters get every where.

. Of course, in a densely populated state, you really don't want someone with a shot gun in your back yard drawing a bead on some critter.

My Dad got an 8 point buck one morning. It seems he used to come out every morning to get a drink from our swimming pool. deer season opened and Dad let him have it from the kitchen window. A 30.06 make a hell of a bang when shot indoors! :eek:
I got my 8 pointer with the front end of a pickup truck. It was the beginning of the end for me and that Ford.

Back