Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good mornin y'all !

Playing hookey from work today, my throat feels like raw hamburger and it hurts to talk, so I'm staying away from phone calls and people in general.......cept the Docs, heading there in a little bit.

Dave , nice caboose pics, but do I see two cabooses (cabeese) joined with a little shack?
Karl , If I remember right I think the cabeese, caboosen, caboosii??? were connected. I'll have to do a google satellite view to confirm.
Terry Thanks, that makes more sense than my idea.....
Dave

Afternoon All,

It's been a long two days. I pressure washed 4 hours yesterday and 6 today. I have some really nice sunburned skin after it and needless to say I'm pretty tired after being in the sun for this long. I'm not used to being out in the heat for long periods anymore. Talked to my brother a little bit ago. He says SIL is doing well and we are still on for heading up there next Wednesday.

Joe- Thank you.

Chet- Nice rail shot.

Willie- I hope you get some rain but not too much for flash flooding.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Howdy ...

I just returned from Nashville where I had routine medical appointments. The heart surgeon tested my implanted electronic devices, and they are functioning as they should. My heart rhythm has been corrected several times before it became serious. ... On Monday, I will celebrate 10 years of extra life for me. Exactly 10 years ago, I had my life-saving helicopter trip to Nashville when my heart stopped beating 6 times.

I just got news my train friend, Dan, is not doing so well. He has been fighting cancer for over a year, and his condition has worsened. I'm sad about that.

Now, I will go to my model railroad room to run some trains. Our hobby is good for sanity breaks to get my mind off of other stuff.

Happy Model Railroading !

Back from the Doc's, they say I'll live, and I can go back to w*rk tomorrow IF I feel better. Notice, thats a big if. :p

I did spend the day preparing a bunch of Atlas/Kato/P2k parts for listing later on fleabay. I've also got a bunch of 1:87 modern automobiles to list, and a few pieces of rolling stock. Eventually I will have a few locos to purge also. The roster has gotten out of hand. (again) As soon as I get
round_tuit.jpg

Garry, Sorry to hear your friends condition is worsening. We'll keep him in our thoughts. Thank goodness our hobby can be therapeutic, but I don't think it will kick start your heart, unless you get some wires crossed. Thank goodness for helos!

Curt, I pressure washed last weekend, (the whole house, the deck, and the basement stairwell) I feel your pain . Now the GF sez she wants her place done. :rolleyes:

I'll leave you all with a pic of one of my old club modules...
WMcaboose.jpg

Cya!

Good evening y'all: Still hot with storms in the vicinity.

Curt: I hear you on the power washer. I did one side, the back and the patio in June. I need to do the driveway, the front and the other side before winter. Right now we have water restrictions in effect, not because of any drought or service interruption, just the water utility's refusal to upgrade their infrastructure. As soon as the shore season ends, things will be relaxed again. Hope you SIL continues to mend.

Garry: Sorry to hear that your friend Dan is not doing well. He has a tough fight under the best circumstances. Sounds like good news outa Smashville. :)

Karl: Sounds like you can use another day of rest. :rolleyes:

This past weekend, I assembled and painted a 2' x 4' modular frame to continue expanding, (and completing), my layout. Yesterday I disassembled it and carted the pieces down to the basement train room from the garage. Then, I disassembled another module, [completed], and moved it up to the garage where it was partially reassembled and painted. Tomorrow, I will again disassemble it and return it to the basement, where the two sections will be assembled as a corner section. That will leave two 2'x4' modules, and an odd sized 5'3"x18" section to complete the original layout plan.

For what it's worth, I have spent a good portion of the summer on my butt, wondering why I'm so stiff and sore. Since last Friday, I have been working on numerous projects including the RR and feel much better.

Have a good evening.

Boris

All this talk of rain, or lack of. Yesterday the airport, about a mile from here, got .83", but Williamston, maybe 30 miles from here, supposedly got 4.8". How that didn't result in flooding, I can't explain; it's even dropped off the news, already.

Getting ready for our trip, I made a mistake and reserved a hotel room for the wrong date; it's non-refundable, but luckily Des Moines is the cheapest city on our route. I used a booking agent, though, so may still be able to get a refund. I also found a website that will tell me where all the wildfires are, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another mistake I made on another front was to buy the wrong toilet for our basement. If you've seen the ads for the Saniflo macerating "install anywhere" toilet, it's a three-piece unit: bowl, tank and macerator (the macerator grinds the crap into a semi-liquid goop that flows through a 2" pipe into the stack). Anyway, that's the one that's advertised and the kind I bought. The advantage is that you dont have to break the floor to install piping, you just bolt it down. What they dont mention is that it has to be vented, just like a normal toilet, and that's where I ran into trouble. It could have been done, but would have involved breaking into the walls and tearing a hole into the attic. Luckily, there's another model for half the price that they don't advertise, that doesn't need venting and is only one piece. Everything is contained in the bowl unit, it just has to be bolted to the floor and connected to the stack. So, now I have to return a toilet and get a refund on a non-refundable hotel room.

Good Morning all,

The joys of being a homeowner! Last night I was downstairs running trains, and all power in the basement went out. I thought the powe in general went out. Went upstairs, and found several of the rooms still had power. I reset the main breaker, and the whole house came back on. It only lasted for a minute, and was back out. I reset it again and it stayed for quite a while. You guessed it, during the night that section went out again. I guess I will have to get an electrician called this morning and hopefully it’s something simple, but who knows.

Have a great day,

Good morning y'all. It's 69 and humid as we had a heck of a rain last night. I did manage to complete my digging. After I got into it, I realized it wasn't as bad as I thought and could have rented a trencher. I was unable to do so however because the couple of jobs I did while waiting for the mud to dry I have not been paid for yet. On my way to the site to find out if I can even lay the pipe today so that the landscaper can put the sod down. Really hoping that some people pay their bills today because the pig is looking very thin right now.

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 73°. The rain yesterday sputtered out mostly, I received .25". Forecasters removed the rain chance for today and tomorrow, but there are currently light showers between here and Dallas that have been there for several hours. Lightning has been visible here since I got up at 0400. Spent part of the day yesterday cleaning up construction debris that the contractor missed, moved my sawhorses and ladders back under the overhang on the train shed and gathering up all of the extra stuff that was purchased and organizing the receipts so I can return some for a refund. So I will be adding Lowe's and Home Depot to the weekly grocery/beer trek today.
Got back in to the train shed after a two day absence and discovered that the A/C might be going out. Compressor doesn't seem to be kicking in when needed. Got to monitor it today to see if I need to replace the whole window unit. Temperature was around 80° all day. Mostly ran trains, but I did finish adding the mortar lines to the warehouse. Did some maintenance on three freight cars that were waiting on the Kadee gray washers that I purchased Tuesday. I also did some more light scenery including attaching some printed buildings to parts of the backdrop.

Mikey -
Willie-The 96 ounces of water is about average lately. I think it has been due to some of my diabetic medicine.
It causes frequent bathroom breaks every 1-1/2 to 2 hours and getting back asleep after getting up at night is the problem.
I know the feeling. Most of my blood pressure medications are diuretics, but I can usually go four hours til the first break at night. Next one in about two hours, third one means just getting up regardless of how long it has been, since I can't go back to sleep. That sometimes requires that 6:30 am nap!
Dave - Interesting picture of ATSF 999001 with the add-on room on the back.
Greg - I don't do splitting!
Curt = Good to hear of your SIL's progress. Have a good trip and be safe. Flash flood! As dry as it has been, it would have to rain quite a bit before that happens. In 2015, we got 11" in a nine hour overnight storm in July and not a drop ran off. It was a slow and steady thunderstorm. Watch that working in the heat. Be careful.
Garry - Sorry to read the update on Dan.
Beady - In case we don't hear from you before you leave, have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning all,

The joys of being a homeowner! Last night I was downstairs running trains, and all power in the basement went out. I thought the powe in general went out. Went upstairs, and found several of the rooms still had power. I reset the main breaker, and the whole house came back on. It only lasted for a minute, and was back out. I reset it again and it stayed for quite a while. You guessed it, during the night that section went out again. I guess I will have to get an electrician called this morning and hopefully it’s something simple, but who knows.

Have a great day,
Your story of oddball electrical happenings, reminds me of a hot air gun I bought quite some years ago from our largest hardware retailer. I was using it to strip some paint, when my wife came out and asked why the lights in the house were going dim and bright, up and down. It was the gun doing it. Took it back to the electrical dept at the hardware and told them about, where I got looks of askance and disbelief. So I suggested they plug it in and try it, which they did.
Now this was a large all steel building with a high, open framed roof, which, at the time used big mercury vapor lights, also high up, to illuminate it. Upon pulling the trigger, all of these powerful lights started doing the same dance, it was something to see. I had no difficulty getting a refund.

Well...
It seems the receptionist at my job quit yesterday. No official word on why, though 2 years without a vacation might have had something to do with it--or not.

Good morning ....

Karl .... That is a nice caboose shot.

Mike ... Your electrical issue reminds me of a similar one we had in the garage. At first, I thought a GFI breaker tripped, buy that wa not it. Eventually and after much work, it was figured out. There was a loose connection in an outlet box. Tightening a connection there fixed it. ... The house is wired so that many electrical boxes have two wires coming in and two wires going out to the next box. It have been better if the original electrician installed bus wires with "pigtails" going to each box.

Johnny ..... I received the latest edition of Trains Magazine. The Branson Scenic Railway is featured with a cover photo and an article.

Thank you to everyone who commented on my friend, Dan's situation.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Good Morning...sunny and a bit humid this morning. Watered the front plants and noticed all the "Old" joggers out for the morning run on the village road. One guy in his 80's was really doing a fast pace.

Yesterday, finished the base scenery on the rear wall area of the Waupaca industrial area. Had to stand on a step stood to make the reach. Should look okay when it dries and after I add some more ground foam clusters and details. People make a lot of difference in a scene. Ordered a new Digitrax Command Station to replace one that's giving me problems. I'll repair the old one sooner than later, but like having a spare unit. The cost for the unit has dropped since this model is discontinued by Digitrax.

The spur rail sprayed grimy black needs some weeds and trash to make it look more untended. Maybe a pile or two of gravel on the black ballast. My first Walther's crane will work this junk yard along with a couple of gondolas.

Leaving for the woods soon. Some outdoor projects to do at the cabin. Days are shorter and the sun sets early in the woods due to the shade. Hummingbirds have become my new hobby. Have six feeders and soon one more. The little guys drain a feeder in a day and a half. If I take a feeder down to fill with juice, they fly right over to me. No fear of me! Over six birds at time are feeding.

Going to fly a couple of smaller drones this weekend.

That's all for now.

Greg

############################

Good morning. 58 degrees to start off the day with an expected high near 90. Did a lot of searching on ine yeaterday for a Nortrhern Pacific Geep, F-7 ot an Alco RS unit with DCC and all I could find was a couple of switchers. Can't believe that the NP has so few locomotives available, Reminds me of what it was like 25 years ago when I had to custom paint and detail what I needed.

truckdad - Like the photos of the cabooses.

Greg - Hope you enjoyed the rail fanning.

Willie - We used to heat the main level of the hous estrictly with wood and then moved on to a pel;let stove when pellets were $35 a ton. We finally got natural gas to the house and went to a gas stove. Heats the whole place easily. When our old water heater started to die we put in a gas tankless water heater. Cut out electric bill almost in half. Then, when we remodeled the kitchen, the wife finally got her gas range that she wanted for years.

Curt - Enjoyed your photos. Like the engine house.

Karl - Looks like you and Garry will be on the right side of the grass for a while.

Mike - hope the electrical problem is something simple. Has a similar situation teas back and all it ended up being was a bad circuit breaker.

As hot as it is expected to be, it should be comfortable at the club being it is in the basement. Heading over there in a couple of hours.

Here's a rail picture for today.

29b4ae9f1bfa5e3e949f28c40154c134.jpg

Later

Gregg...hummingbirds are awesome...feisty little buggers. Please,please do not use the commercially available store-bought colored stuff nor add food coloring to home-made syrup. Red coloring is not only uneccasary but is toxic to the little guys.

Gene: We use only homemade juice to feed the troops. No coloring added, just sugar and water....1 1/2 cup of sugar to a quart of water. They love it. They never did eat the commercially made juice...smart birds.

We keep lots of sugar on hand.

Greg

Gene: We use only homemade juice to feed the troops. No coloring added, just sugar and water....1 1/2 cup of sugar to a quart of water. They love it. They never did eat the commercially made juice...smart birds.

We keep lots of sugar on hand.

Greg

Awesome. I use a 4cups of water to 1 cup of sugar formula. Love those little guys.

Back