Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Johnny, I mounted n iPhone to a flatcar, and ran it around our club layout. It was intersting, and a challenge to get it blanced ao it wouldn't flop over on the super-duper elevated curves. Yes, the people the built the layout believed if a little superelevation was good, more was better. Some of the curves reminded me of turn 3 at Daytona.

Terry, we'll keep the flatcar idea in mind. I don't have any superelevations to worry about, and I run the trains pretty slow (to make the ride last longer on a small layout like mine). Sounds like an ex-race car driver designed that part of your club's layout :)

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is well. Fast paced week for me thus far. Coke has a lot of down assets to keep me continuously busy. I love every bit of it. Less politics and more fix the trucks. I haven't worked on the layout this week. Been a little too hectic for that. I figure everything will level out next week as I'll be working my actual shift instead of my training shift I'm working this week. Well I hope everyone has a good day. I'll try to stop by later if I get a chance.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Well, good morning everyone. 49 and clear in SW MO, hitting 80 later today. Drove to work looking through the moonroof at the Little Dipper - beautiful clear night sky. Time for another cup of coffee and a cinnamon doughnut!

My workbench looks somewhere between Chet's and Curt's. I usually have two structure builds going on at the same time and one or two other things (fences, rolling stock truck or coupler changes, etc.) so I like to be able to see what I'm doing :)

VA Ken - great video of your (old) layout. It gets me to thinking - I see your layout running throughout your basement (I guess that's where it was), under HVAC ducts, around water heaters, etc. I'm a little scared to do that in our basement in case repairs or replacements ever need to be made. How would they ever move in a new geothermal unit if our current one went kaput? Or replacing an old water heater? That's what has kept me from expanding the layout - leaving room for that kind of major work. (Willie, you don't need to respond to this - I don't want to hear about your gigantic train barn where you have no worries about broken pipes flooding the floor or replacing heating units, etc. :) :)

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. Looks like it finally dropped to 55° with light clouds on the south and east horizon. Back to the regular routine of the grocery/beer trek on Thursdays today. Gathered up the coupons earlier. Spent at least two hours yesterday cutting firewood from branches that I cut down during the summer. Cool day (75°) with a mild breeze from the south. I'll resume that chore again tomorrow. Still recovering from the absolutely wonderful supper that I made last night, Corn Flake crusted fried jumbo shrimp, homemade hush puppies, roasted Butternut Squash and strawberries on the side. Stove top looks like a battle zone from all of the spilled batter and splashing oil! I'm not all to blame as my wife actually did the shrimp. Diced up some homegrown jalapeños for the hush puppies.
Once again, I didn't spend too much time in the train shed as it was just too nice not to get some needed exercise doing chores and projects outside. Put a coat of paint on that GHQ John Deere tractor that's on the workbench. Should have fired up the airbrush because I am going to have to give it a second coat despite being primed to begin with. Moved a few trains from one end to the other of the lower layout level, under their own power of course.

Greg - I used to love getting estate sale items at my now closed LHS. I have only been to one actual estate sale myself. For $300, I got over 100 painted figures, 20 pieces of flextrack, six shoddily built Walther's industrial structures, some Walther's backdrops, boxes full of leftover kit parts, some Woodland Scenics landscaping materials and a about a dozen freight cars (all of the non-Tyco and Lifelike ones that were there). It was a pretty good haul from a failed marriage.
Curt - Cutting grass has always been my job due to wife's (presumed) allergies. However, I don't do bathrooms, actually not allowed to!
Ken (D&J) - Nice job on the C40-8. Looks to be a good puller as well. I do believe that it is actually a Dash 8-40CW (wide cab) that ATSF had 152 of on the roster. They didn't buy one of anything. That was also the model that began their tilt towards more GE and less EMD diesels; never completely cut one or the other off though.

Today's pictures feature the "N" scale layout at the "Old Depot Museum" in Vicksburg. There's also two that feature the HO stuff on the display wall.
10-12-17c 012.JPG10-12-17c 013.JPG
10-12-17c 014.jpg10-12-17c 015.jpg
As in the HO layout, only engines were actually running, actuated by a lady at the front desk who switched them on and off as we strolled through the museum.

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie
[h=1][/h]

Good morning. 43 degrees to start off the day with an expected high in the low 70's. According to the weather forecast, that will change as tomorrow's expected high is only supposed to be in the mid 40's.

Ken D&J - Enjoyed the video as always. The work was well work the effort as that seems to be an excellent smooth running locomotive. Tack another one onto you unknown number of locomotives. Nicely done.

Johnny - It sounds like you are enjoying your new job so far. Hope all works out well for you. Coke must be better than Pepsi I guess. I haven't had a soft drink in years. I like my Snapple and I thing the only carbonated drink I enjoy is beer.

Willie - The work around the old homestead keeps you busy outdoors. With summer over and winter moving in, most of my outdoor jobs are done with the exception of snow removal when the evil little snowflakes gang up on us. It probably won't be long. I am enjoying your photos. You had quite the tour on that road trip. You also did pick up some interesting items at the sale.

Ken in MD - Sure is nice to see you back with us. You must be catching up with things.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one with a "busy" workbench. Normally it is not that messy but along with a couple of modeling projects, a few items had arrived in the mail and they were just tossed on the bench.
I am hoping to get some more work done on the F-3 this weekend as well as getting some painting done on the transfer caboose so assembly can get started.

Here's a rail picture for today.

Beautiful-Day-on-the-Train-Tracks--78757.jpg

Later

Good morning ..

What do you call it ? ..... Soft drink? ....... Pop ? .... Soda .... I see Chet calls it "soft drink". ..... I are up in IL and lived many years in MI where it is called "Pop". Here in KY some call it "Coke", and that does not mean "Coca Cola".

Perhaps some of you included a soda pop machine on your layout.

Willie .... The N scale display layout looks great.

Ken VA ... Your Santa Fe GE looks and sounds great.

Curt ..... Nice photos of your roundhouse and also your work area.

Raincoat2: You concerns about needing access to your home's mechanicals has some merit. I built my layout up to and within 1/2 inch of my gas water heater. The time came to replace the heater and the new, more energy efficient models are larger in diameter due to additional insulation. My two choices, modify the layout or install a 30 gallon water heater which would fit in the former heaters footprint. A 30 gallon came with a increased price tag to the tune of $1,050 installed with permits. A 40 gallon would of been maybe $700 tops.

I replaced the first two water heaters, but the time has pass that i would to haul heaters up and down the basement stairs.

Guys: Your work areas are too clean.

Willie: I enjoy purchasing estate sale rolling stock items to give the items a second life. I hope that when I'm pushing up daisies my rolling stock is on someone else's layout and is enjoyed as much as I did have them

Curt: My wife enjoys cutting the lawn and snow blowing. Married her at 18 and trained her well (did I really mean to say that?). 42+ years of marriage.

Wife left at 5:00 AM for AZ and is now on the ground enjoying palm trees instead of pine trees.

Her trip is giving me some license to spend some additional $$$ on model railroad supplies.

Train room this afternoon after some housework.

Garry: Around here we call it soda (Pepsi, Coke Sprint, etc.) but at bars soda could be carbonated water.

That's all folks.

Greg

Marriage is such bliss (or was that ignorance?)

It's a fine INSTITUTION as institutions go...I'll take Marriage over the other choices of institutions available. LOL

No way I could leave her, it would take longer than I have left to train a replacement.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning on chores and then MOH decided that we needed to go to 3 different grocery stores:confused:, so nothing train wise today. Tomorrow I am picking the grand kids up after school and they are spending the night and all day Saturday because of their parents extended work schedules.

My daughter is having some real issues with one of her school kids (2nd grade). This kid has something wrong mentally and today did not like the way another student wrote cat and started attacking him. My daughter got in the middle to protect the student being assaulted and had her bad leg kicked several times by the trouble child. This kid has tore apart her classroom several times even to the point of destroying property. Today after the kid went to the principal he came back to daughter's classroom with a coloring book and markers!:mad::mad::mad: There has been at least 6 incidents that I know of. The mother says her kid is fine. I think we have a sociopath in the making personally.

Willie- Nice pictures from the museum.

VA Ken- Nice running loco in the video. I heard the BLI car. The best MRR deal I ever got was at a train show and a seller was selling them for $10 each! I got 4 in PRR scheme and 1 one of them was a sound car for a total of $40.:D

Karl- Thank you.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

My daughter is having some real issues with one of her school kids (2nd grade). This kid has something wrong mentally and today did not like the way another student wrote cat and started attacking him. My daughter got in the middle to protect the student being assaulted and had her bad leg kicked several times by the trouble child. This kid has tore apart her classroom several times even to the point of destroying property. Today after the kid went to the principal he came back to daughter's classroom with a coloring book and markers!:mad::mad::mad: There has been at least 6 incidents that I know of. The mother says her kid is fine. I think we have a sociopath in the making personally.

It's a shame that the proper amount of but-whoopin can no longer be administered. :( Hope your daughter doesn't bruise easily!

Curt - I agree with Ken. I don't think there's anything wrong with some justifiable child abuse.

Johnny - Have you ever considered a tankless water heater? We replace our old electric water with a Rinnai tankless gas water heater a few years ago. It is about the size of a small suitcase. With the change from electric to gas and with the fact that you are only heating the water when you need it, I figure that we paid off the heater in less than one year.

Later

Chet: In your last post you said:
"Johnny - It sounds like you are enjoying your new job so far. Hope all works out well for you. Coke must be better than Pepsi I guess. I haven't had a soft drink in years. I like my Snapple and I thing the only carbonated drink I enjoy is beer."

It's Justin who has the new job with Coke.

...VA Ken - great video of your (old) layout. It gets me to thinking - I see your layout running throughout your basement (I guess that's where it was), under HVAC ducts, around water heaters, etc. I'm a little scared to do that in our basement in case repairs or replacements ever need to be made. How would they ever move in a new geothermal unit if our current one went kaput? Or replacing an old water heater? That's what has kept me from expanding the layout - leaving room for that kind of major work. (Willie, you don't need to respond to this - I don't want to hear about your gigantic train barn where you have no worries about broken pipes flooding the floor or replacing heating units, etc. :) :)

Have a good day everyone.

Hi Johnny.
I considered that about the utilities. The isle are just wide enough to get the water storage tank and water heater out using a hand cart. The heating system comes apart in panels and a light frame that can be lifted above the layout. Besides, they usually have young able men doing the heavy lifting when they do that work. As far as water leaks, the basement floor is at ground level on the backside of the house so the most water that can build up in there is just a couple inches. Nothing is stored on the floor that can get soggy or soak up water.

Curt, Irrational reactions to innocent actions are a sure sign of mental imbalance. Physical assault cannot be allowed to occur against another student or the teacher trying to protect them from a continuing assault. The mother is obviously in denial, but then is probably subjected to those assaults herself. I agree with your summation. The school is letting your daughter and others in the class, down. I would be worried about their future safety too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening ..

Curt ... Regarding your daughter teaching second grade. Other kids are at risk and must be protected. If you don't get satisfaction from the principal, go higher up to the school board. Also, get parents of other kids involved whop should want to have their kids protected. The more people on your side, the better. Maybe, Child Protective Services can help, too.

Back