Running Bear's Coffee Sbop LXIX

Willie - I really enjoy looking at other layouts because you may be able to get some really good ideas from them.

Garry - I missed out on getting one of those 0-8-0 locomotives. They sold out in no time. I'll give Flickr a try. After the garbage the Photobucket did, I am a bit leary of these sites. Here's the photo I took of the aspens yesterday, but all I get is a link, not a photo. I'll have to play around with it and see if I can get the photos to post.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/156214116@N06/37102702034/in/dateposted-public/

Later

Last edited by a moderator:
What we believe we have the right to do may be differant than what a court of law will agree with.
"I'm" not tryin to tell you what you can and can't do when a student threatens you or strikes you. Just telling you what happened to people who thought they had the right to physically defend themselves.

Obviously corporal punishment is not condoned any more as as Ken said it’s illegal in many if not most jurisdictions .....which in my humble opinion is a bad thing. When I was going to public school, K to 5th grade we all knew the strap was in the principals office...I never knew or heard of anybody getting it but the knowledge it existed kept everybody pretty well in line. From 5th grade to 9th I was in a private school that allowed not only the principal but the teachers to use corporal punishment...there it was used but still not very often. I think just the knowledge that it is available tool that exists is in most cases more than enough to install discipline.

Good morning - enjoying all the reading over the last couple days.

67 degrees, foretasted to go to 72 with cloudy overcast. Actually had just about enough moisture to cover the driveway.

Been tied up with tile grout cleaning for parts of two days - hopefully finish today! Using a toothbrush taped to a stick with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. Does a great job - just slow! Also have another project in the works which is taking a tremendous amount of time.

CURT I'll try and get your "ballast" in the mail later today - have to get some stamps at the P.O.

I got ONE swat with the superintendent's 4 foot long paddle with holes in it in front of the class! Me and 5 other kids caused a damaging distraction at school - think I was 8 0r 9 - scared us all more than the pain. I feared my Mom more than anything - she had a very large Willow Tree that had lots of ammunition on it ... and she was not afraid to use it!

Willie darn it! I had a great comment on something you said, but CRS had taken over.

Well then ... think that I will change to an "IT"!
Maybe there is some State AID program tied to being an "IT"?
I will sleep on "IT".

Ken (MD) .... I like that photo. It reminds me of when I was in Ecorse, MI next to National Steel's mill.
Thanks Garry! I was able to see all the action in that mill whenever I was on the Bob-Lo boat (ages 6 thru 12). Ooh, the photos I could have gotten if I’d had a DSLR camera with a zoom lens back then…!

Ken - very realistic street scene with the mills in the background. Nice to look at.

Thanks Johnny! I was inspired by a similar photograph taken by a German photographer named Bernd Becher, who had an entire book of blast furnace photos and their surrounding neighborhoods throughout the Mon Valley.

Ken in MD - That is one sweet photograph you posted. Is it on your layout ?

It was on my layout Chet – my previous one, which got dismantled in November 2009. Thanks for the kind words!

Ken in MD - I think that you have posted that picture before but I love it. The crowned road, grass between the sidewalk sections all add character to your layout. ...

You nailed it, Willie! That photo dates back to August 2009, 3 months before that layout was demolished to make room for the current [unfinished] one. I was thinking maybe several people here hadn’t seen it yet so it was worth re-posting.

The parking lot in that picture is actually a piece of painted extruded foam insulation board, temporarily covering the aisle between the mill and the town:

AislewayWithParkingLot01_800x600.jpg

I was able to stage many interesting scenes on that old layout. But it was lousy for op sessions, with its 3 duckunders and 24" aisles; if I wanted to continue hosting guest operators, I would have to redesign and rebuild one with wider aisles and no duckunders. So that's exactly what I wound up doing...

Nothing new to report on the current layout for today, since I'm kinda stuck until I can clear out some of the junk - hopefully tomorrow?

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

That was certainly interesting! The high today was only 70 - tomorrow is expected to be 87.

Rainfall today came in at a whopping point 02 hundreds of an inch!
How do you measure 2 one hundredths of an inch??

That was certainly interesting! The high today was only 70 - tomorrow is expected to be 87.

Rainfall today came in at a whopping point 02 hundreds of an inch!
How do you measure 2 one hundredths of an inch??

You get 2, 1/100th" and stack them alongside it.

That's OK Sherrel, after the driest and warmest several months on record, we've just had in the last week or so, all of the 3 months of Springs rainfall and set to continue into next week as well. Would send you some but can't sling it that far.

The club had it's 2nd Open day and buy & sell today (Saturday) and more rain. Eased off a bit late morning/early arvo, and got quite a few visitors. I had a win, there were 3 MRL boxcars on offer, 2 very new Athearn RTR releases, which if they had had Genesis trucks on them, would be. (funny way to delineate between model levels, but is so, I have some of them) and a Atlas "Precision" line version (very similar). The 3 for $AU55. The Atlas was still sealed and the Athearn's also looked as though they had never been opened. I guess the Roundabout has at long last offered a ride instead of those old boring Swings. The shipping from the US would have cost that Priority.

Well. That was fun--not! I posted a pair of engines for sale in the for sale section, and had to post the photos somewhere else, then re-download them, then upload them here. Weee......

Good Morning Everyone. 71° and cloudy. Might get rain around midnight, hopefully without wind so I don't have to get up and close any windows. I really usually don't know unless it comes through the window next to my side of the bed on me, or if the wife aggressively nudges me and tells me to get up and check other rooms. Muggy day yesterday; had to turn on one of the A/C units in the house and in the train shed. Yesterday I had a relatively lazy day for me. Went for my usual walk, spent about ten minutes clearing fallen leaves off the pool cover and rearranged the flowers and potted herbs on the back porch. Spent too much time on the Internet.
Even my time in the train shed was uneventful. I had several derailments during a switching run, all at the same turnout. Eventually traced it to points not making full contact with a rail, and made an adjustment to the ground throw mounting (with hammer and nail punch) that resolved the issue. Not sure why I didn't catch it before I ballasted it. This was the first attempt at performing a "live" switching maneuver at this location with three cars at a grain elevator and two others at a warehouse. The planned sequencing worked out well. My conductor did a great job. Vacuumed the floor with the shop-vac, removed trash and beer bottles and dusted off cobwebs from the windows. Vacuumed some ROW on the layout with the handheld afterwards.

Garry - I like your picture of the 0-8-0.
Sherrel - How true about fearing Mom after getting a paddling at school. Another mom usually told mine before I even got home!
Ken in MD - I should repost some of my old pictures also for the same reason. We have an ever changing group of visitors here. I like seeing many of the older ones again. My favorites as I said get saved to my "inspiration" folder, but interests change and I may see something a second time that inspires me.

Let's see, time to switch to a different museum for today's pictures. Back to the Foley AL Railroad Museum. This is the one with the very large "O" scale layout that was willed to them. It is in a separate building built out back of the regular museum. It has lots of animation and whimsical scenes, many of which I posted last year. Here's a few that I took this year.
IMG_0538.001.JPGIMG_0553.001.jpg
IMG_0530.001.jpgIMG_0529.001.jpg

Later guys. Time to check this weeks stock market gains.

Everyone have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning .... Coffee and a pecan roll, please ...

Chet, Willie and others .... Thanks for commenting about my 0-8-0 photo ...

Willie ... Thanks for sharing the Foley, AL museum photos. ..... Do you ever visit the large railroad museum in Frisco, TX?

Thanks Garry! I was able to see all the action in that mill whenever I was on the Bob-Lo boat (ages 6 thru 12). Ooh, the photos I could have gotten if I’d had a DSLR camera with a zoom lens back then…!

Ken (MD) .... I recall the Boblo boat rides. ... Nice idea to fill in a gap for a photo with a "parking lot" . ...

Below are shots taken in side National Steel at Ecorse, MI ....

36612495452_2c1b4edace_b.jpg

35947902824_d03332c73b_b.jpg

36612499892_179254341f_b.jpg

36612492752_76a65b9d63_b.jpg

35947898344_96111ea23b_b.jpg

Djrjrjdjshshshdhhs. The DMV has officially messed up two of my registrations!!! I love spending a day at the DMV. Anyways looks like a good day to do some stuff around the house. Don't know if I will get anything done on the layout today seeing as how I have business to handle today. Hope everyone has a good day.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Back