Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All!
65F in Libby and overcast.

Left Memphis the 8th @ about 1600 and got here 0300 this am; 2036 miles according to G.Maps, but probably not the way I went. They did not find us a load to go home with so a rental appeared. Got a Toyletta Rav4 with 41K on it. No idea if it is a 21 or 22. Have to admit it is a good running jitney. Got pretty much 40Mpg the whole trip which was also over 80Mph where possible. The Rav ran right at 2KRpm at 85Mph on the flat. We stayed on the Interstates as much as possible. We barely stopped for food and pee and found that it worked best to fill the tank then drive until it was time to fill again - this is where we switched drivers. Seats were tough for me to get used to but once I found 'the spot' 4 or 5 hours of sleep happened. The seats did lay down almost all of the way so pillow and blankie were added. I was so tempted in Casper WY - the TA there had a bar advertising 'a beer, a shot and a bologna sandwich' for $9.99; driveup only. Does look like a place to visit again and there were tons of stuff in the form of nick-knacks and such. Just what I need, more shirts!

Gonna PM Chet and see if we can get together sometime in the next few days. Have stuff that needs done that the kids watching the house could not or would not do. Beer probably tonight for a bit @ the Legion and the pellet grill is calling me. Time for steak or chicken or *something*!

Have some RPO stuff to post, will try and get that in sometime today.

Later!

Good morning. Boy do I ever have a lot of catching up to do. I went down to Bozeman for a wedding over the weekend

and visited my kids while I was there. Driving down there reminded me of how much I like Libby. It's a little over a 6 hour trip and there were a couple of stops to let the girls out to go potty.

Ken - I had to laugh at the waiting to see the doctor. So true. If you're 5 minutes late you're liable not to see the doctor but it means nothing to have to wait a half hour or more past the appointment time to see the doctor.

Willie - As usual, I always enjoy your photos.

Dave - I hadn't gone to a McDonalds for over 20 years until I made the trip to Texas to pick up a dachshund at a rescue in the Austin area. Couldn't leave the other dog in the car with the heat to go inside a restaurant to eat. Found out that I hadn't missed much. I am not a big fan of fast food. The only three franchises here are Pizza Hut, McDonalds and Subway. Won't eat at any of them.

Chad - I do have a question for you. I do enjoy watching the cab view videos of the railroads in Japan but I don't know if it is a live person going on and on and on and on on the loud speakers. Is that normal. They must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle.

Going to get out of here. Was going to say I have to go to town, but I am in town now. Going to hit the grocery store and hardware store.

From the archives, enjoy.

View attachment 149873View attachment 149874View attachment 149875View attachment 149876View attachment 149877View attachment 149878

Later
CHET Your nightime downtown scenes are amazing! One of them reminds me of a scene in the movie "Back to the Future"

Good morning, all! Yep, you guessed it, hot and humid.
Not a lot going on. Waiting for the missing parts from rsLaser for the Keystone Mill. Scheduled to arrive Friday. I am looking forward to building this kit as it is supposed to be 1 of only 200. At this point, Rich, of rsLaser, seems to be very cooperative and wanted to make things right.

Chad - Sorry for your loss. I too lost my dad to prostate cancer. He was diagnosed in his 60's. Radiation treatment and hormone pills kept him going for years. When the cancer returned, he was nearly 80, it came with a vengeance, and spread quickly. I was fortunate enough to be able to say my goodbyes. Like Guy stated, you never forget your dad, and the fond memories.

Mike - Pearland is like 2 communities away from where I live. Most of the Little League teams are taught the importance of sportsmanship from T-ball on up. Sadly, once money enters the game, that importance seems to take a back seat.

STAY SAFE
LATER

Coffee

Screenshot 2022-08-10 at 1.18.27 PM.png

Good afternoon ya'll!

Whew! It cooled down a little bit over night last night. Nice little relief. Ahhhhh! Trying to get back in the normal routines and schedule. I got a few more items yesterday from the Snail Man. I will post those later. My first ever Athearn Genesis Reefer Car with DCC Sound for 35 bucks with no issues with it either. I wanted one for a while but couldn't find a decent price for one that is usually over 100 bucks. This one is an ARMN recording marks (Union Pacific) I only wanted one only because I don't need a bunch of them and all of that noise but I saw one at the The Big "E" show this past spring and liked it. So anyways I think I have maybe at most a dozen reefer cars. They will be my beer train lol. I also got another reefer by Athearn in the RTR series to match the car that the Saratoga Corinth & Hudson had in their yard. I thought it was really cool.....no pun intended ;) So now I have one and I will post it on the RPO thread tonight with a bunch of other items. Soo be prepared for a huge photo dump on the RPO! Oh ya mega stuff!

1660153356707.png

Anyways the weather here is simmering. I want to get back out and do some fishing but have other things that need my attention.

GUY - That's a hell of a nice trout your wife got there! Nice!

TomO - Have a nice and safe trip! I have not been there since 1984. Enjoy the yards too!

Willie - Nice work on that billboard! I am always inspired by your work!

Chad - My condolences to you and your family. May Peace be with you.

Dave B. - That EMD GP-18 NP is a sharp looking loco.....I have a GP9 just because I liked the look of that particular paint scheme but it doesn't fit my RR. I will deem it as a museum piece on the layout. It is an old Proto 2000 series with a decoder I installed with no sound though.

Oh the subject of wild turkeys........mmmmm good fry 'em! October is coming for the season to be harvested......

Troy - Ya ummmm what they said.....nice melons.......

The talk about coffee.....I will have to admit I do not drink coffee. Never have nor will start. I just drink water or juice in the morning. Mostly water.

Ya'll have a good rest of the day. I will be back tonight to post on the RPO. Like I said huge photo dump coming on some really cool stuff!

C-YA!

Last edited:
how about those Orioles!?
When I went to bed, it was 5-3 Jays in the 7th...I think...wow! They pulled out another. Not only that, but ½ Game out of 3rd. Place, and ½ game from a Wild Card spot. Hope repeating that doesn't Jinx them. it's been so long since they showed anything.

Just my opinion, but Washington without Soto and Bell is an addition by subtraction. Their biggest problem, though is Pitching...across the board.

This morning before lunch, I completed the track work on my layout. Last 15" of rail was placed behind what will become the Stoney Creek Engine House. Now it's wiring, building structures, scenery and ballast, not necessarily in that order. First time I've gotten this far and I've been modeling in HO since about 1961.

Last Section of Track in Place 08-10-2022.JPG

Now on to the wiring.

Good afternoon ya'll!

Whew! It cooled down a little bit over night last night. Nice little relief. Ahhhhh! Trying to get back in the normal routines and schedule. I got a few more items yesterday from the Snail Man. I will post those later. My first ever Athearn Genesis Reefer Car with DCC Sound for 35 bucks with no issues with it either. I wanted one for a while but couldn't find a decent price for one that is usually over 100 bucks. This one is an ARMN recording marks (Union Pacific) I only wanted one only because I don't need a bunch of them and all of that noise but I saw one at the The Big "E" show this past spring and liked it. So anyways I think I have maybe at most a dozen reefer cars. They will be my beer train lol. I also got another reefer by Athearn in the RTR series to match the car that the Saratoga Corinth & Hudson had in their yard. I thought it was really cool.....no pun intended ;) So now I have one and I will post it on the RPO thread tonight with a bunch of other items. Soo be prepared for a huge photo dump on the RPO! Oh ya mega stuff!

View attachment 149919

Anyways the weather here is simmering. I want to get back out and do some fishing but have other things that need my attention.

GUY - That's a hell of a nice trout your wife got there! Nice!

TomO - Have a nice and safe trip! I have not been there since 1984. Enjoy the yards too!

Willie - Nice work on that billboard! I am always inspired by your work!

Chad - My condolences to you and your family. May Peace be with you.

Dave B. - That EMD GP-18 NP is a sharp looking loco.....I have a GP9 just because I liked the look of that particular paint scheme but it doesn't fit my RR. I will deem it as a museum piece on the layout. It is an old Proto 2000 series with a decoder I installed with no sound though.

Oh the subject of wild turkeys........mmmmm good fry 'em! October is coming for the season to be harvested......

Troy - Ya ummmm what they said.....nice melons.......

The talk about coffee.....I will have to admit I do not drink coffee. Never have nor will start. I just drink water or juice in the morning. Mostly water.

Ya'll have a good rest of the day. I will be back tonight to post on the RPO. Like I said huge photo dump coming on some really cool stuff!

C-YA!
Thought about the roast turkey angle. Both turkeys I have hit lately actually flew off.

Guess I need to drive a little faster.

Afternoon All,

Started out working outside in the back of the house doing weed pulling and weed whacking then I cut out the final styrene parking lot and road. After lunch I Painted the road parts and built the underframe for the road. Tomorrow I'll paint the parking lot and hopefully finish the road crossing.

Christian- Congrats on the MRR milestone.

Chad- My deepest condolences to you and your family. Congrats on your anniversary. That is a lot of work on the house.

Guy- Another great looking trout. Good looking pooch also.

TomO- Safe travels.

Willie- Good news about you and your wifes health. Your build looks great.

Dave- Could you tell yourself it is a NP experimental diesel being tested?

Troy- Nice melons.

Joe- Great trackwork and engine house. I had that one on the first iteration of my first layout...at least until I knocked it on the floor and broke it. :(

layout118.jpg

layout119.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night

Thought about the roast turkey angle. Both turkeys I have hit lately actually flew off.

Guess I need to drive a little faster.
No, not faster - they will jump up in the air to try and get away and then they are hit mid body and pretty much bounce off where you end up with pretty much mush. Slower is better AND you want to stop before they go underneath. Guess that it depends on how tall your turkey killer is - if your Suburban you might have to play with the speed; ya want to hit the head/neck region. Might not necessarily get'm dead, but a good stunning then you can get involved.

Guys around here in the know use a bolo - no noise except for some screaming. Trips them up where they are laying on the ground as the legs are tied up. Does not get that Adrenalin moving and all of the meat is intact. Pick a hen, forget about those Tom's. If they are smaller, use the breasts and drummers only. Note that normally I would not suggest anything of this sort as it is even illegal here to harvest out of season. Well, if there weren't 1000's of them and all over the place, I guess that I would worry more.

Also, I found out the other day if you hit any type of venison in Montana it is your right to scrape it off the pavement and take it home. Most is pretty much dog food depending on speed, although there are parts and pieces that are OkieDokie. YMMV. With Elk or Moose, you probably are scraping your vehicle off the pavement also so that could change your mind of what you want to do.

Good Afternoon. Another warm day but cooler than where I moved from. My son does not like hot weather and he can't wait for summer to end.

Curt - Enjoying your photos.Excellent looking track work. It does still bother me having to have the layout torn down. One thing I can be happy about is that I got almost all of the scenery done, although there were some areas that I would like to have updated, but it was built as a switching layout and in the end, it operated just as I had hoped it would and I enjoyed many hours operating it.

Terry - That dinner offering looks like quite a deal. Wouldn't mind having one myself.

Ken - Hope you are able to take some video of the op session. I know how hard it can be. Good luck.

Chad - Thanks for the info on the trains in Japan. It started driving me nuts and I turned down the volume.
Very sad to hear the new home. The whole country has been screwed up after the so called pandemic. My son is bummed out about the interest rates going us as he was so close to being able to buy a home up here in Libby. That's why I moved up here. I offered to help him with a down payment but he does not want to be house poor.
Also very sorry to hear about your father.

Willie
- As usual, interesting photos. I always kept Evergreen styrene sheets and shapes as you never knew when you might need them.
You aren't missing much not going to McDonalds. The only reason we stopped at them was because we couldn't leave a dog in the car with the heat to go into a restaurant for a meal, and we were HUNGRY.

Dave - Enjoy seeing your photos. Hope you kept that photo backdrop.

Louis -
Since I move here I find that I have been buying a lot more from Amazon as this is a small town of around 2,800 people and a lot of things that I may have took for granted. I am finding that it is difficult to find a lot of items and I am not about to take a 90 mile trip to Kalispell and have to play in traffic. Reminds me too much of Bozeman. I did order my coffee beans from Costco though.

Todd - U used to be able to travel like that, but age is catching me. Took just over 2 days to get to the Austin, Texas area to pick up the dachshund I adopted. I know I will probably never go through Colorado again. Had traffic all the way from the Wyoming line to Colorado Springs. On the way home I went north through Fort Worth all of the way to Sioux Falls, SD before heading west. Looking forward to getting to meet you.

Back to the archives for some more old photos. Here are a few from the club. Notice the bear cub climbing the pole in the third photo.

20180609_202830.jpg
20180630_202127.jpg
20180623_200242.jpg
20180609_194038.jpg
20180630_200142.jpg

Gotta run. Later

Chet, I'm so glad to see your posts, thanks for the pictures and the updates. its a better coffee shop with you in it!

I'll say to you the same thing I tell every Amazon customer I see, thank you for your order, I appreciate it. With out you Amazon does not need me.

Costco's Kirkland brand 100% Columbian is our favorite coffee. Maxwell house Columbian is a close second.

Hmmm... potatoes weren't bad, but tooooooo much root beer flavor. I did boil it almost dry when my grill temp snuck up and I was watching a youtube video. Should have put water in for 2nd dose, but added more root beer.

It's the type of thing I'd do for a family cookout, not a general meal for two

Good news/bad news:
The good news is that a pop-up thunderstorm just hit us. So far 1.55" of rain in less than an hour, with no runoff. It all soaked in. We really needed it and yesterday's rain hit near me but not here. Temperature is 70° right now, welcome relief. The pool filled up and is presently overflowing
The bad news is intermittent lightning induced power failures, although brief, less than a second each, shuts down the computer each time and my version of Win10 takes several minutes to reboot. I know that there is a way to bypass all of the BS, but I don't know it. Also bad news is I was just about to go out to the train shed, but paused. The umbrella is useless when the rain is coming sideways and my shoes will still get wet. Also put a damper on getting into the pool.
We are planning to go out and eat, but are now waiting until things settle down a bit. I don't have anything thawed.
The worst news is that the only cold beer is in the beer fridge out in the train shed. Looks like I'm going to get wet anyway!

I had that one on the first iteration of my first layout...at least until I knocked it on the floor and broke it.
Curt: I had an old Revel Enginehouse, actually 2 built end to end. that were only slightly longer than the Walthers one. It survived the move from Maryland unscathed, but when I took it out of the box to place on the layout, it fell to the floor. :(.

Your crossing and parking lot are coming along nicely.

IMG_3070.JPG

Another view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back