Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
8997D375-AD16-456E-A6FF-14CB7733F2D6.jpeg
63F5357B-98A0-4DBD-91EE-B77D29B8BB9F.jpeg

Well, howdy there internet people, it's Troy again...

Terry: Rough news about the engineer friend.

I remember a night working for a newspaper and was driving between Friday Night Lights games (High School Football is on Fridays in our state) and heard Train vs Pedestrian on the police scanner. This area is outside of the Elkhart IN yard by about 10 miles. Still two tracks on the main at that point. The sports editor was very miffed that I skipped the second game of the night to cover a tragedy instead of sports.

Unfortunately, sheriff's dispatch could only give the crossroads where the train stopped (this was before civilian GPS and cell phones were a thing). I got quite the walk in to get to the scene. I met the police reporter for our paper at the scene. He walked in from the other end, and we were about in the middle of the country road every-mile crossroads over the tracks.

That night, I learned that a LOT of train v pedestrian accidents were usually intentional. This one was a vet with serious substance abuse issues and PTSD from 'Nam. It's difficult to not hear or feel the approach. But, accidents can and do happen. I do hope your friend is able to deal with the trauma in a reasonable amount of time. That has to be rough, no matter what the situation.

Good Morning All. Clear and a cool 77°. Cool because of the number of much warmer nights recently. It only got up to 97° yesterday, a welcome relief. The long range forecast is for under 100° through next Saturday, with a rain chance still in there for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thanks to one and all for the reactions and comments yesterday regarding my limited progress; Guy, Dave, OB Ken, Louis, Joe, Smudge, Karl, Rick, Hughie, Chad, Troy, Tom O, Curt, Christian, Sherrel, Gary, Patrick.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did some ground cover and painted the concrete columns on the Walther's structure.
IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

More on the ground cover later.

Sherrel - Please wish Kate a Happy Birthday from me and Arlene.
Chad -I never realized that Utah had gasoline prices as high as the states on the left coast. I was seeing $3.39/gal Thursday on the grocery trek.
Christian - Don't worry about the Frenchman Christian. He was much beloved here. He was/is quite an offbeat modeler who's layouts lasted only a short time. His wife wouldn't allow any space for anything permanent. He posted some great pictures of the French countryside where he lived.
That is good news on the permanent job option. Good luck whichever path you choose.
Patrick - If I leave now, I can be there before noon for some of the brisket.
Terry/Troy - A BNSF engineer acquaintance of mine once told me that any engineer with the RR over five years has had at least one accident, although they are mostly with vehicles. He said that many of those involved with pedestrians never return to driving.
Guy - I'll get to my "How I do it" on ground cover in a little bit.

Today is Purple Heart Day here in the states. Let's all honor those veterans as well as all military personnel.
Everyone have a fantastic day.

Well, howdy there internet people, it's Troy again...

Terry: Rough news about the engineer friend.

I remember a night working for a newspaper and was driving between Friday Night Lights games (High School Football is on Fridays in our state) and heard Train vs Pedestrian on the police scanner. This area is outside of the Elkhart IN yard by about 10 miles. Still two tracks on the main at that point. The sports editor was very miffed that I skipped the second game of the night to cover a tragedy instead of sports.

Unfortunately, sheriff's dispatch could only give the crossroads where the train stopped (this was before civilian GPS and cell phones were a thing). I got quite the walk in to get to the scene. I met the police reporter for our paper at the scene. He walked in from the other end, and we were about in the middle of the country road every-mile crossroads over the tracks.

That night, I learned that a LOT of train v pedestrian accidents were usually intentional. This one was a vet with serious substance abuse issues and PTSD from 'Nam. It's difficult to not hear or feel the approach. But, accidents can and do happen. I do hope your friend is able to deal with the trauma in a reasonable amount of time. That has to be rough, no matter what the situation.

Unfortunately this happens more often than we know, the London Underground is a common place for this, and is usually deliberate.

Good Morning.

A nice morning at 60F to start. Comfortable.

The wife is determined to fill the freezer with her preferred food store, so we'll be off fishing again come tomorrow morning. She was raised on fish, while I was raised on beef.
We'll travel to a lake that has an operating coalmine nearby; perhaps I can get some photos of the rail loading operation. That is, provided I can fit it in between the fishing adventures.

The jury is still out on the exterior wall colour I've chosen for the motel. I used an enamel spray bomb of a snot yellow/green colour that the manufacturer labelled the girly name 'Lemon Grass'. Suppose that helps with marketing over what I call the colour.
Also, the concrete parts were painted in my usual khaki/white mixed colour that I use to suggest cement. That colour is conveniently bottled in a spray-bomb named Camo Khaki.
Photos:
Motel_08-06-2022 (1).JPG
Motel_08-06-2022 (2).JPG

Here's the kit box-top for comparison:
Motel_07-25-2022.JPG

My colour is noticeably darker and greener. I think it will grow on me, though. It looks good on the table.

Today, I'll be working on the windows and doors. There are 29 of those all tolled, and I dislike working on windows and doors. So, I need to get that out of my hair.

Terry - Sad news about the pedestrian. I've watched a number of security videos involving pedestrians vs trains on another site I frequent. It never seems to be the trains fault, and the results are always very one sided.

It's up to us as individuals living in great nations, to do the best we can to make our lives worthy. So, I intend to get on with something, instead of wasting this wonderful day.
Have a productive Sunday, and I'll see ya after the fishing trips. Or maybe later today!

WOW, Thank each and everyone who wished my spouse a HB!
Was very kind of you to do so.
It is kind of quite at the moment ... I am sitting at my little corner in the bedroom looking out the second story window at a beautiful sunrise. I have not looked at what the weather will bring this morning, but the high yesterday was 95 f. I found out that my truck needs the A/C serviced for sure?

I just heard the "Queen" stirring downstairs, so I better go and give her a hug and sing happy birthday to her.
More plans are afoot ...It's a glorious day! BBL

Some outstanding baseball yesterday.
Example 1 - Baltimore Orioles 6-3 win over Pittsburgh. The promotion was the 30th Anniversary of Orioles park at Camden Yards...with Oriole heroes Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray, and Mike Mussina. 41,000+ fans in the house. And the O's 5th straight win. The house was electrifying. Haven't seen this type of atmosphere in Baltimore in a very long time.
Example 2. Atlanta vs Mets, game 2 of a doubleheader. Full house at Citi Field, Game on WPIX 11, with Max Scherzer on the mound. Mad Max dominated the Braves. I caught up with this game in the 5th, (after the O's game was completed). When max struck out the side in the 7th, it was again electrifying. Mets won 6-2 to sweep the doubleheader. Series closes today with Jacob deGrom starting for the Mets.

Will probably watch the O's today if I'm not doing anything. Mets are on cable, so they are inaccessible.

I have refrained from commenting on the trespasser fatality, that Terry mentioned. There is no other way to describe it. When a person is struck by a train, they are somewhere they are not supposed to be. The real victim here is the Engineer, not the trespasser.

Sherrel: Happy Birthday to your wife!

WOW, Thank each and everyone who wished my spouse a HB!
Was very kind of you to do so.
It is kind of quite at the moment ... I am sitting at my little corner in the bedroom looking out the second story window at a beautiful sunrise. I have not looked at what the weather will bring this morning, but the high yesterday was 95 f. I found out that my truck needs the A/C serviced for sure?

I just heard the "Queen" stirring downstairs, so I better go and give her a hug and sing happy birthday to her.
More plans are afoot ...It's a glorious day! BBL
Good morning all,

Yesterday was my wife's b-day, tomorrow my Mom's. We had a nice supper out, steak at Trapper Pete's in Cloquet (MN). Happy bday to your wife as well, Sherrel!

Guy - that hotel should be a nice addition to your creation. Every day you have a new project going, and they all turn out very nice!

Ran the trains around some, took more box cars out of storage and identified some new adjustments and repairs to be made. Have been using the SW-1 since it has superior slow speed and response to my old steam loco's

I have a couple photos to share then off to church,

IMG_2474 resize.JPG

Here is an update on my wood piles. I split and hauled 4 wheelbarrow loads yesterday morning. Looks like I now have enough for the winter, will continue cutting as I want to be some ahead.

IMG_2471 resize.JPG

Here is my little tank loco at the sawmill office.

Will be back tomorrow, have a great day!

Dave LASM

Good morning again.

Train hits car, train hits human. Heck the train usually can’t stop and the TRAIN has the right of way. But, still it must be a terrible feeling to be there!

In Marshfield, Wisconsin there is a section of CN track that in the early 2000’s after 9/11 began to be called suicide alley. The local fire crews were responding to folks walking the tracks and getting hit. Usually after an investigation they ruled them as suicides. Mikeinhubcity, it’s from where Quicktrip on Hwy97 downtown next to St. Vinni de Paul’s store is now to S.Oak Ave. the double mainline. I used to do a Hardy’s breakfast before work about 6AM. The window greeter/server was a seemingly great happy guy. Couple trips and he wasn’t there so I asked was he on vacation? Oh no, he went for a walk on the tracks!

Nothing is so bad, one needs to commit suicide.

Good morning gang!

Happy birthday to Saint Kate, how she puts up with Sherril, is beyond me!🎂

Terry
, sorry to hear of your engineer buddy's situation. I can relate a little. When I was conductor on the dinner train we clipped a kid on an ATV trying to outrun us on the right of way. The snow plow on the engine just caught the rear tire and flipped the ATV over, the rider faceplanted into a ditch along with his ride. When the train went into emergency the conductor on duty and myself ran forward. I was only on the train because the wife and kids were to meet Santa at the other end. The brakeman was already down in the ditch checking on the kid, but the engineer was freaking out. Stomping around, screaming, visibly shaking. Took us awhile to calm him to where he was coherent. In the end, the kids ATV was broke, but he wasn't. He was lucky to get away with just a trespassing citation from the State Police some bruises , a busted 4 wheeler and nothing worse.
We were 30 minutes late getting to Santa , no big deal for us.
I worked with that engineer after that, and several cab rides. He always seemed extra concerned when he saw motor bikes near the tracks. It never leaves you.
I hope he can find some inner peace with this, but I know he will always remember.

Hot as hades out there today, staying in the basement, screw the lawn!🤣

Take that.jpg

Good morning all! 82 very humid degrees out on the way to 88 with a heat index of 99. Hoping to stay indoors most of the day.

Stayed in most of the day yesterday. Went outside with my wife last evening and started pulling up green bean plants and then picking the beans. Got quite a few and still have some more plants to do this evening. She should definitely be able to do at least one more canning session and maybe 2. We were both wringing with sweat by the time we came in though. Just so humid. Put the beans in the fridge and will have to get them snapped today. Hoping the two youngest grandkids come over to do that. They like snapping beans and I'm happy to let them do it.

Planning to stay in today and watch the Indycar race. I would watch the NASCAR race too but their TV package is so bad now that most of the races in this half of the season are on USA network which I don't have. We quit paying for Dish years ago and only have an antenna and a couple streaming services to watch. We didn't watch TV near enough to justify the cost of Dish and the streaming sites are reasonably cheap, although Netflix is doing its best to price itself out of my life. I only pay $5 a month for Peacock and really only have it for race broadcasts. Other than racing, I'm really not a TV watcher.

Sherrel: A belated happy birthday to your wife!
Terry: Sorry about the situation with your engineer friend. Train vs anything collisions are always devastating and I feel for the crew that has to sit in that cab knowing they can do nothing to stop in time. I've responded to several train vs car accidents in my life between my job as an ambulance EMT before I was a cop and they are always terrible.

That's all I got going on. Hope you all have a great day!

In the late 50's, I was following two guys - on my Sears centrifugal clutch motor scooter about 70 yards behind them. - when they tried to beat a four unit FT Cotton Belt freight at the main crossing in town. I witnessed them and the motorcycle they were riding flying about 100 feet thru the air killing both of them. I have never forgotten the sight! It took the train almost the entire length, 100 cars, to stop! It had to pull forward a little to clear the highway crossing.

Incurable CANCER "is" bad enough!
Yeah, I know.

I have thought about incurable diease/cancer and age related memory loss. Probably too much. I know though I do not want my family to suffer because of me. I still have no solution.

But, no need to involve a train, suicide by police, or the car accident that involves others. I know there is no reasonable answer. Unexpected suicide though sure can’t help the surviving families and I suppose that is what I was referring to.

Dave (LASM) Happy birthday to your wife and Mom!!!

Tom I don't think there is a solution.

Boris,

Suffering is a part of life.
I surely would not want my death on another persons conscience.

Mental illnesses often go unnoticed or at least untreated until something tragic happens.

Morning again,

Porch posts replaced. My biggest fear was the faux cast iron was rusted out enough that I needed to lift the front to get new posts in. Front actually was slightly higher. So, screws in the old stuff removed, new posts (center section 4x4's), in place. 1.5 hours worth of work.
Now to the brisket, it's been on now for 4 hours and my temp sensor crashed. Says
The temp is 33°f. Wasn't that cold when I started it.

Oh well. It needs more hours.

BBL

Patrick, I finally mastered using my smoker this past 4th of July. After having it for nearly 5 years.
Previously i was using it as an indirect heat charcoal grill.
When I truly used it as a smoker I smoked a whole turkey and I loved it! It took almost 12 hours to smoke a 23lb turkey.
I have not tried beef. What kind of wood is best with beef? I used hickory for my turkey.
Mine does not have an automatic fuel feeder. It needs attention every hour or two. I knew nothing about smokers before buying it.

Last edited:
I think the PS5 uses NVME SSD, and the PS4 uses SATA. The average person can't really tell the difference from performing basic tasks, the big difference is when it starts doing large file movements.
I had never heard of NVME, before you mentioned it. That was why I had not thought of repairing the PS4. I am so far behind with the technology of today's latest gadgets and gizmos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back