Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff - I model in HO scale.
Good Morning from the upstairs den looking towards the South and the mountain known as PALOMAR. A couple summers back we drove up to the observatory and toured around - very interesting to me as I love astronomy anyway!
OK, here's the poop for today:
Mostly sunny and very warm, high near 92°F.

Tomorrow is the Birthday of my bride. It's going to be a busy day trying to figure out either get something from the store, go somewhere, dine out and where, or just vege out (which probably would be the wrong choice).
Just have to see what I can work out ...
BBL
Better get your butt in gear if you want to sleep in a nice bed tomorrow night !
The dog house can get cold and drafty at night!

Good Morning!

My kind of day coming up. 45F to start and hitting a high of 70F in the sunshine. Almost perfect weather, in my opinion. I would like to see this all year.

TomO - Thanks for posting the Mineral Point photos. We don't have a-lot of stone and brick buildings in the west. It's nice to see all those details for modelling purposes.

Turned out that I didn't have as good a day modelling yesterday as I had planned for. To many other things got in the way and took up time.
I did manage to decant primer and get that motel project primed, though. Scribing some sidewalk into the base seemed to take longer than it should have:
Motel_08-05-2022.JPG

I believe I'm going to go with a desert yellow structure and brown trim. That more or less follows the box-top photo, which looks to be a beige colour for the brick walls. I'll paint it up today, if the primer is set enough.
I'm not going to worry about an interior yet, as Walthers has supplied paper curtain-n-black window dressings that will eliminate what's seen inside. An interior all depends on whether I want to go through the trouble of installing walls and lighting a couple of rooms. It might look stupid if other buildings on the layout are lighted, and the motel is blacked-out.

I also mounted the ram-bar into position by the yard office. Don't want any over exuberant drivers to crush the side of the building.
Rambar_08-05-2022.JPG

I might have to watch some u-tube videos today. Learn the finer points of applying ground cover. I haven't tried ground cover yet, and would like to. I'm not sure if one uses a spray adhesive, hair spray, or a water/glue mix. By the end of the day, I hope to be educated as ground cover is quickly going to become a project.
I'm a wee bit hesitant to do ground cover at this point. If I'm going to screw things up, that's where I'll do it.

Sherrel - Happy Birthday to your beautiful wife. Around here, just going fishing seems to be as good a celebration as any. That's the most my wife expects out of me; and I never expect anything.

Enough yap! Time to get on with it.

Have a wonderful, productive day! Don't waste it sitting in front of the tube watching your team loose.

Good Morning All. Clear and another cool morning at 78°. Today begins a week where the NWS forecast does not get above 99°, after 102° yesterday. Potential for rain on Wednesday.

Sort of a dull day yesterday. I did some minor household chores, some minor outdoor chores, grilled an absolutely great prime rib eye and spent over an hour on the phone with five different people from Amazon trying to get them from delivering the neighbors packages to our house. none were able to help or they didn't care. The neighbors who used to live next door in a different house, bought a double wide home and plopped it down closer to my property line, and had to get a different address. Well, the first Amazon driver to deliver there back in May mistakenly delivered their package to our house and pinged it into their computer. That was despite the new address being the only one in the whole neighborhood that is clearly visible from the road. Every delivery since then comes to my house because that's where the GPS system tells them to go. Sometimes I am able to intercept the driver and redirect them properly and they all say that they will tell their dispatcher so he can fix it. But the packages still arrive here. I finally convinced one to give me his dispatcher's number and he couldn't help. He gave me another number and they couldn't help, but gave me a third number to call. At that number I spoke to the five different people, finally getting one who flat refused to help. Meanwhile another package arrived. So I reached out to my friend here in the Coffee Shop, Louis, and he was able to give me a "secret" number to call. I have not yet tried because it was "beer-thirty" on Beer Appreciation Day, and I would rather not aggravate myself when enjoying a brew. The neighbor has tried unsuccessfully as well, I need to compare phone records with him.

No other real plans for today means that I can resume the tree removal project. I have already done the laundry.

Thanks to everyone who liked or commented on the progress report and "tomato trees" from yesterday; Smudge, Karl, Sherrel, Mikey, Chad, Louis, Gary, Dave B, James, Curt, Tom O, Patrick, Joe, Rick, OB Ken, Tom.

I was able to spend a little time out in the train shed yesterday. I did run some trains because they were available. Mostly I worked on another background structure using Walther's modular walls. After cutting out and gluing 12 panels together, this is where I was.
IMG_1429.JPG

From there, frustration sets in, which leads to my complaint about Walther's. In order to join these walls together, one needs wall pilasters or columns.
IMG_1431.JPG

These are the only six that I have, and they are a different shade than the walls. Walther's did not include them with any of the wall kits, but sold them separately. They discontinued the kits several years back. However in all of their wisdom, they just made "kits" without thinking about whether or not the quantities matched up. They don't and many other websites discussed this at the time. There are none available on any secondary market. As I posted, when my LHS owner retired, he gave me over 40 of the various kits, foundations, walls, docks and roofs. None had the wall columns. I had 1 1/2 kits intact that I had bought so I made some other structures. Now I have many walls and no columns. Not wanting to waste the walls, I came up with a way to improvise and use .020" x .250" styrene strips to represent concrete columns similar to this structure by City Classics.
08-11-18 003.JPG

I had previously made this background structure elsewhere.
IMG_1432.JPG

So that's the approach I am using here.
IMG_1434.JPG

The strips are not quite as wide as the wall separation as you can see at the bottom of the center one, but after paint and weathering, it can't be discerned.
I glued some .080" x .080" Evergreen styrene to the corners to provide depth instead of void there.
IMG_1435.JPG

If anyone out there has any remaining Walther's kits 933-3725, and doesn't need them, please contact me and maybe we can work something out.🤞🤞🤞

Patrick - Regarding your apple trees - It normally takes 8-10 years for regular trees to successfully bear fruit. Dwarf trees take 5-7 years. You also need to have two different varieties for successful pollination. Fruit drop on apples can be from several things, lack of proper pollination or stress being the two top reasons. The long hot summer and possibly lack of enough water might be the probable cause this year. They drop the apples as a self defense mechanism to ensure survival of the tree. No expending energy to produce fruit when it can be used to keep the tree alive. Beware the following year when they may set too many apples. If you don't thin them, then they often self-thin themselves and may go overboard. If all of your trees are the same variety, pollination can occur but the fruit could be lost. Note that pecan trees need another pecan tree in the neighborhood for pollination. Squirrels frequently "forget"; I have oak trees growing all over my property, far from the mature ones, because of this habit.
Thank you, it is Iron Horseman with the gymnasium for a train room.
Dave B - I also dislike it when my routine is disrupted in the morning. Mainly I don't like the questions and observations given. I also have to put my hearing aids in earlier.
Guy - I am a big fan of Oxford vehicles, I have probably 80 of them. My LHS stocks them at a 20% discount off MSRP which makes it a little easier on the budget. They're generally less than $10 USD each. I do purchase duplicates of many as I can use them in different towns on different levels and aisles.
Since I am doing ground cover right now, I'll take a few photos of my process and post them tomorrow for you to evaluate. There's many more ways to do it than my way, but I think that mine is successful.
Tom O - Good to read that Terry is doing well. It's always good that both partners are healthy together, especially at our ages.
Jeff - Those spiders are quite beneficial to whatever area they are in. I never kill them. Their webs are a nuisance when stretched across the pathways in the garden though. I always carry a "spider stick", (1"x1"x30"), with me, not just in the garden, but in all of my woodsy areas; to wave around in front of me when I walk. For the yellow garden spiders, the web is always back in place 24 hours later. I have only been partly successful in transplanting them, mostly because they scurry off and hide as soon as I hit the web...whether by stick or body part. The yellow ones mainly inhabit areas around the house, garden and pool, while some kind of non-poisonous brown ones inhabit the wooded places.
Louis - I am very disciplined in the grocery store. I always prepare a list (ongoing all week), and never deviate except at the "Manager's Special" meat counter where the out of date stuff is.
Christian - Welcome to the Coffee Shop. I had to look up that whiskey. My, that's some pricey stuff that they offer, and only in Kentucky and California!

Two ends of the spectrum today, it's the birthday of both Lucille Ball, and Andy Warhol.
Everyone have a great Saturday. I'll be enjoying the cool spell.

Guy - I am a big fan of Oxford vehicles, I have probably 80 of them. My LHS stocks them at a 20% discount off MSRP which makes it a little easier on the budget. They're generally less than $10 USD each. I do purchase duplicates of many as I can use them in different towns on different levels and aisles.
Since I am doing ground cover right now, I'll take a few photos of my process and post them tomorrow for you to evaluate. There's many more ways to do it than my way, but I think that mine is successful.
Willie - Well done coming up with a solution to modify the Walthers walls. - Ordering those Oxford vehicles direct cost me a total of $13.95cdn each, shipping included. I thought that was a decent price, since most sellers up here are asking from $20.00-$30.00 per vehicle.
I'm looking forward to the promised ground cover lessons!

Good morning all from miserably humid southern Illinois. 81 now with 99% humidity on the way to 87 with a heat index of 98. Great day to stay indoors.

Had a great week at work but honestly glad for the weekend. I've been staying so busy at work most days that I'm exhausted by the time I get home. Nice to have a couple days to rest up. I slept in big-time this morning and it felt great.

Going to try and force myself up off the couch today to get some things done in the house. No plans to go outside unnecessarily until evening when it will hopefully cool down at least a little. I've got plenty to do in here but for the time being I'm just taking it easy and drinking my coffee.

Hope you all have a great day!

Is that a consistent rate for Amazon Bruette? And are there any benefits as all, trying to compare the wage salary envelope.
No Sir, rates vary throughout each and every day. No benefits at all. I am an independent contractor paid by 1099. All expenses are mine to pay. I spend about $100/month on tolls. This last two months have been $450-$500 for fuel. My little Chevy Sonic gets 35-40mpg.
Amazon makes it hard to work full time. Unless of course you are willing to work for $18 or $18.50 per hour. I refuse to work for rates below what I consider to be a living wage. Hundreds of other contractors do it daily.
Because of my experience I can finish most blocks early. I'm not fast at all. I drive slow and I walk even slower. I'm efficient. I don't wast time loading, searching for packages, searching for addresses. Most importantly, I keep moving. Having my superstar wife with me has made me much faster as well.
It is the slow season now. Back to school will start soon and that usually rolls right into the holiday season. Higher rates will be available throughout the day. Generally speaking, no consistency at all with Amazon.
Because I work the early blocks 3:30-4:15am I get much higher rates. After expenses I make a little over $30/hour, usually. But I only work part time. 3-6 hours/day. Last year I made a little over $44,000 working part time for Amazon.
Most importantly, I get the activity I need for my health from Amazon. The money is a bonus for me.

Good Morning from the upstairs den looking towards the South and the mountain known as PALOMAR. A couple summers back we drove up to the observatory and toured around - very interesting to me as I love astronomy anyway!

Tomorrow is the Birthday of my bride. It's going to be a busy day trying to figure out either get something from the store, go somewhere, dine out and where, or just vege out (which probably would be the wrong choice).
BBL
Sherrel, tell the little lady I said Happy Birthday!!! And God bless her for putting up with you! 😉

Last edited:
Louis - I am very disciplined in the grocery store. I always prepare a list (ongoing all week), and never deviate except at the "Manager's Special" meat counter where the out of date stuff is.
Willie, first off, it was great talking to you. Call me anytime between 2am-6pm, that is, unless of course it is an emergency.
I may have told you before, the man who raised me took me to the grocery store every day. From the time I could walk until he had his second heart attack in 1972. The grocery store is my comfort zone.
My saintly wife puts up with me going up and down nearly every isle searching for deals. The clearance rack is one spot I never miss! I enjoy going grocery shopping.
When I partially tore the muscle in my leg, I used the electric carts. I'm thankful I can walk again. I can't remember the last time I missed a week grocery shopping.
The good news is we seldom, if ever, waste anything. I buy stuff my kids and grandkids like as well. We probably give away more than we consume.
With all other shopping, except for trains. I make "surgical strikes" get what I came for and get out quick.

BBL
Your probably going to have to do all the above, with the exception of the veg out.
And please wish her a Happy Birthday from across the pond. :)

Gasoline around here dropped to $4.51 -- $4.59 a couple days ago. It has been $4.71-$4.75 at most places. The high (2 months ago?) was $5.29 or maybe $5.39 -- I forget.

Interestingly, the Murphy Express, which is usually a bit cheaper and never more than the Maverik (a local chain) but right now the Maverik has been $4.51 since at least Thursday and the Murphy is around $4.58-$4.59.

I use the mid grade ethanol free in my cars and maverik charges 30 cents more all the time for that compared to the regular. Murphy has no set upcharge and it is between around $0.27 and $0.50 more depending on when they bought it and how fast it goes out.

I use ethanol free in both cars and even though they both have a variant of the VW 1.4 turbo (different years), The Jetta is specced for regular and the Audi for premium (which is timed for a spec of 3 hp more!!!). At our high altitude the mid grade works fine in the Audi and is alcohol free. Alcohol has less energy (about half) per volume, so you get a little bit better gas mileage with the alcohol free. It is also better for your engine. Even though modern engines are "made" for alcohol containing fuel, alcohol is corrosive, so avoiding it avoids the minor corrosive effects.

When I first started using ethanol free about 10 years ago, I had a phone app that would steer you to places that had it, and there were only a few places anywhere near here. Over time, almost every station here offers it. They all offer the same mid-grade 88 (our normal mid grade is generally 87 at our high altitude and regular is 85, unlike closer to sea level where it is 87/89 for reg/mid), and I expect that they all buy it from the same place no matter what their station sign says. I know the Chevrons around here that sell the ethanol free say "Not a Chevron Product" on the pump.

Anyway, gas is off the high but still double what it was late winter/early spring 2021. We drove down to St George in late Feb 2021 and it was like $2.25-2.35 at the most. April 2021 I drove down to Arizona and IIRC it was around $2.45 when we left. From memory so I could be off a dime or so.

I just think it's luck that the prices of gasoline are coming back down all of a sudden.
Yep, the petro industry just wakes up one morning and looks at their clip boards and say, "Well goooolly, would ya look at that thar. Our prices just dropped a few more pennies".

I learned a lot about HDMI since I bought the PS5.
I had no idea there was such a thing as HDMI 2.1
About $150 later I now have the correct HDMI switches and cables.
Now what do I do with all the old stuff? I only have one old 50" 720P Panasonic plasma TV. I wonder how many devices I can find to attach to that TV with all these old HDMI switches and cables? I do love that old Panasonic TV.

To make matters worse, my PS4 Pro is not working! I moved it this morning. From the boy's game center in the family room. To my TV in the living room and it would not boot up. Seems like the hard drive is struggling. I don't know enough about these devices to bother to open it up.
I signed into my Sony account to start a service ticket. Another $150 later I will be receiving from FedEx a box to ship the PS4 Pro to Sony for service. I have no idea if the $150 covers the repair. I doubt it, but i will let you know.
My grandsons have no idea what happened to it. It last worked on July 3rd.

This great deal, $499 PS5 from Amazon, just keeps on costing me! Not to mention the need for PS5 games, charging dock, an additional controller and only God knows what else.

The good news is I'm quickly racking up Sony and Amazon rewards points. At least Amazon gives cash rewards. How many more Sony radios do I need?
The bad news is I have already spent close to $2500 on this great, $499 deal! I can see $3000 on the horizon.

And my kids wonder why I still work.

Electronics and Trains have some things in common. For one they can both "nickel and dime" you to death!

I just think it's luck that the prices of gasoline are coming back down all of a sudden.
Yep, the petro industry just wakes up one morning and looks at their clip boards and say, "Well goooolly, would ya look at that thar. Our prices just dropped a few more pennies".
I've read several differing opinions from economists. I suppose your theory is as good as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back