Running Bear's August 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low flow toilets may empty the toilet bowl but the sewer lines get clogged with the lack of sufficient water.

With most of the op session trains prepared and Way Bills distributed to the freight at the industries I had some time this morning to plant some trees. Prolly about 400 at least.
This picture is about 300 of them and continues down the opposite side of the hill. The rest are scattered to other areas.
I'm sure there may be well over 1500 trees on the layout.

20220816_111729.jpg

Patrick - Look for a book by Dr. Jason Fung, The Diabetic Code. I was diagnosed in 2007. After reading the book and making some of the changes recommended I have been off all diabetic medications for nearly 2 years. It takes a little time and patience, but it can be done.

Good Morning All!
57F and severe clear

Thought that I might put in $0.02 worth on Windows 10. Recently I had to wait A LOT for the thing to fire up completely and actually do something. Was kinda like waiting for the '286 to boot where you had to go and make coffee before you could do anything. Got to looking at the Resource Monitor and found that the disk(s) were running @ 100% for quite a while; whilst CPU and Memory were almost idle. Come to find out the HD was not optimized even though the button was pushed to do so every week or so. So, I manually started the Optimization. What a difference it made. My desktop in the Mud room went clear to the 7th pass before it got done taking at least 2 hours, Laptop was pretty much the same. Wife's computer is now working on it and currently is in the 4th pass.
The Mud room computer is a duel 3Gig XEON with raid, a ton of memory and pretty much stays on during the day, Laptop is on and off as is the Wife's.

Think that we will be outa here Thursday heading back to Memphis. Have a couple of days to make the trip, and we will stay in Memphis at least one night to catch up and get back to our sleeping pattern. No idea right now of what routes ( Lanes ) they are gonna put us on, and we don't really care.

Later!

Low flow toilets may empty the toilet bowl but the sewer lines get clogged with the lack of sufficient water.

With most of the op session trains prepared and Way Bills distributed to the freight at the industries I had some time this morning to plant some trees. Prolly about 400 at least.
This picture is about 300 of them and continues down the opposite side of the hill. The rest are scattered to other areas.
I'm sure there may be well over 1500 trees on the layout.

View attachment 150255
Ken, the way you spaced those trees they look really good!! Really make the "forest" effect.

Thanks to Sirfordalot, Santafewillie, James, PRR Modeler and Gary for you comments. Gary and Santafewille asked how I attached the framing to the shed wall. I didn't. I was going to but then after seeing how strong it was on it's own I didn't have to. Sirfordalot commented he did about the same amount of work on a roof 40 years ago. So did I but I'm 76 now. Be prepared to lay down a lot of trapping. Cotton trapping so you don't slip and fall off the roof. When you use a chipping gun to remove the old brick work the old mortar fly's everywhere. It has to be cleaned up otherwise it will stain the roof when it rains. I formed out a drip edge under the cap. It should help keep the rainwater from the top edge of the brickwork. That's why the old brick work started cracking rainwater getting under the cap. I did most of the work myself except for the mason. If I had a chimney company come in with their fork lift's it would have cost me $5,000.00 I paid $300,00 for the mason $200.00 for the brick and mortar. I posted a photo of chimney cap and shed below. George

View attachment 150229View attachment 150230

View attachment 150228
Very well done. Good for another hundred years I'd say.

Thought show off my Bluford Shops transfer caboose collection....since I got another one recently the MOW MP 7501 to go with MP 7502.

I also won another one coming to me this week a red MP #13847 which will go well with sister MP #13087......

View attachment 150240View attachment 150241View attachment 150242View attachment 150243
That's a lot of cabeeses there. Good looking cars.
Simple thing is to cut a1/2 inch piece from a steel tin can about 2 inches long; double it over with pliers.
Use the old draw bar as a pattern to cut out another bar, drill your holes and screw in the new bar into place.
Takes less time than ordering from the internet.
Great advice from everyone. I cut a matching bar out of some nylon/plastic I had on hand and it works perfectly. I didn't know I was so talented. Ha! Anybody want to take a guess at the age of this brute? It' cast metal and heavy. Don't even recall when or where I got the thing. I also found out that I really need to clean my tracks when I ran the brute after installing the draw bar. Something else to take up my time.

Curt- I have the same coffee table before ok, supporting boxes of the wife’s fabric for her ornament side business.
Tom O- glad to hear that Terry’s tests came back negative. Good to her that your GS & his friends want to play with other kids their own age
No no no, all you will achieve is the creation of a short circuit! Engine frame right rail, tender frame is left rail.
Karl-
E2BB089A-034E-4907-8B74-FF58061A0FD6.jpeg

Number 5 is alive. No disassemble!!
Willie- great looking pictures, as always.

Willie - looks a bit surreal with those "Giant" clamps, almost seems like those skinny posts wouldn't be able to hold them.
thats what I thought too.
Son went fishing in Northern Sask for 5 days. Fly in by float plane only way in. Grub & beer are ordered ahead of time & are there when you arrive. No fish go home. Big uns stay in lake , while eat all you can of the rest of them. Some pike but mostly lake trout.
been a beautiful 80 plus F for a few days & sposed to continue for another wk. Loving it.!

Attachments

• IMG_0602.JPG
    IMG_0602.JPG
    217.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0680.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 48
  • fish.JPG
    fish.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 48
Afternoon all,

Well, couple of things we need to look into, but for the most part, I'll live a while longer. A1C 5.4, BP 110/68, blood test for prostate 0.5, so I'm good for another year. He wants to do a sleep test, Cologuard test and we repeated the creatine test. He suspects my bp med is starting to have issues with me. Otherwise all is good.

Good Morning All!
57F and severe clear

Thought that I might put in $0.02 worth on Windows 10. Recently I had to wait A LOT for the thing to fire up completely and actually do something. Was kinda like waiting for the '286 to boot where you had to go and make coffee before you could do anything. Got to looking at the Resource Monitor and found that the disk(s) were running @ 100% for quite a while; whilst CPU and Memory were almost idle. Come to find out the HD was not optimized even though the button was pushed to do so every week or so. So, I manually started the Optimization. What a difference it made. My desktop in the Mud room went clear to the 7th pass before it got done taking at least 2 hours, Laptop was pretty much the same. Wife's computer is now working on it and currently is in the 4th pass.
The Mud room computer is a duel 3Gig XEON with raid, a ton of memory and pretty much stays on during the day, Laptop is on and off as is the Wife's.

Think that we will be outa here Thursday heading back to Memphis. Have a couple of days to make the trip, and we will stay in Memphis at least one night to catch up and get back to our sleeping pattern. No idea right now of what routes ( Lanes ) they are gonna put us on, and we don't really care.

Later!
Don't do the optimization on an SSD drive. Doing routine optimization can reduce SSD life.

Gary,

That is correct 85% of my winnings are on evil bay the other 10% is on FB Market place. The remaining 5% is online orders or LHS.

As for Union Pacific yup that is my Main RR but I do collect cars, cabeese, and locomotives that were merged into the UP. As you know Union Pacific heritage is huge on the RR family tree. I ws very fortunate to live in Arkansas to live the history of the multiple mergers Union Pacific had with the acquisitions of SP, CNW, MKT, DRGW, MOPAC, Cotton Belt, Rock Island and Western Pacific. So having MP caboose on the layout is all good since it was very common in the 80's during the mergers etc. When I lived in Arkansas in a small town called Benton there was a very small switch yard just south of the Alcoa plant in Bauxite. The local freight ran a MP red transfer caboose from that area down to Malvern and at times to Pinebluff doing all the local switching and pickups/drop offs. I worked in Little Rock and even did an internship at the NLR Jenks Shop for UP as well.
That’s awesome, I actually wasn’t aware of all the history and you filled me in on the extras! The collection is looking awesome, thanks for sharing the great pics !

thanks also Willie

Last edited:
WELP! Blew it again ... got all dolled up, came downstairs, all set to leave, and KATE said, "Where are you going all dressed up?". I replied, "To the doctor!"
She said, "Better check the calendar - that's tomorrow!" 😂

NOT FUNNY! I don't like to shave but once a week!
I am like you when it comes to shaving. I look forward to Saturday cause that is the day I don't have to shave. Some day it will be the every other day schedule, that is what I do when I don't have to look professional in public.

I tried a beard for a couple years, but it felt too dirty.

Dave,
With 10 feet square and my layout in the basement, do you think I might need expansion joints as well ?
I think it is a good idea to leave at least a tiny space between tracks, at least in a few places.

I thought it was Ken DJ or someone else with a huge layout that went out to his train room in the spring and much of the track buckled cause all the ends were pushed up tight against one another.

Plus you get that nice clickety clickety sound.

DAVE B. -- Sounds as if you and the Misses had some fine eating as well - fresh corn is hard to beat, and I love a good hamburger too!
I really do not mind shaving - it's just the time involved (all five minutes or so).
I don't feel right if I have more than a few days growth and I once tried a mustache!
It was a good one, but I killed it after just a few months - just really never been a fan of facial hair - the young Saudi boys I was teaching to fly and their little "pubichair" mustaches always cracked me up; it was a passage to manhood for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back