Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 07:34 AM in France. So it's...

887744.jpg

Good morning.
I also removed all my model train videos from Youtube (Along with everything else). I’ll put the occasional layout video up, alll will be less than a minute in length to hopefully minimize the amount of advertising videos shown. Google waited until I had posted a few hundred videos with me specifying no ads placed in them, then they went ahead and added advertisements to them anyway.

Good morning all,

Getting warm again, high of 87 and humid today is the forecast. Daughters and prospective SIL coming over today and I'm grilling Lamb chops! That is, if I am feeling up to it. Haven't been feeling well the past couple days. Started on the back nine Friday when I was experiencing more lightheadedness than usual. Wife actually got out of bed before me yesterday - which is quite odd. We made a COstco and grocery run (Costco included their magnificent $1.50 hot dogs and their chocolate yogurt sundaes MMmm) and then hope and down for an 1-1/2 hour nap. Got up and got busy on the yard tracks.

Thanks Boris for your kind words re my design and you are welcome too all. I'm going with the #308s under Code 70 track, but decided only on the western end near the TOs. Putting them about 7 inches down the ladder so everything should be nice and straight.

Noticed that my second ladder track that I put in was an uh-oh. When I tried out the third ladder, noticed theat the spacing fell off considerably towrds the east. Sure enough, I failed to measure and keep the center-to-center distance on the 2d ladder, and it angled off. A symptom of that long reach, no doubt. So pulled it up and relaid it measuring carefully. Then laid the 3d ladder. Three more ladders to go and a light week for evening meeting this week (only 2) so could the finish line be in sight?

No pictures today, but I sure do enjoy the pics posted by everyone else! Thanks for that!

Time to get ready for work/church, -------Steve J

Good early morning from Wisconsin. Thought I would be out on the deck but at 56f degrees and a slight fog or fire haze it’s too cool. Still today it will hit 80 and with low humidity another great weather day for us.

There are no plans and the girls are still sleeping.

Flo, please a big glass of TJ straight. Some bacon and toast. Thank you.

As SteveJ wrote, no pictures today but I really enjoy the ones posted

Have a great day
TomO

Good morning gang!

#2 son, his wife and the grand dogs came for a visit yesterday. The dogs all had fun terrorizing the cat and frolicking in the yard, and later we played a game called "Mexican Train". It is just a tile/domino type game with a few rules for building and using the other players trains. We're ordering one for ourselves from Amazon later today. It was a lot of fun!
#3 son and fiance are coming by today, so no trains til later.
BBL

Good Morning y'all. Sunny and cooler this morning. I note that everyone is undecided about their breakfast choices this morning. I had cereal, with strawberrys and yogurt. Looking at the path of the two tropical cyclones, looks like Curt may get some rain. Maybe some of that rain will work its way up to us.

Steve (MILW): I think the 308s will work for you. I have several industrial sidings toward the rear that will get them. While discussing this topic with Greg, it occurred to me that the #322s I have embedded may work better if shimmed a bit, maybe a .020 piece of styrene, but they are really not designed for code 70.

Gary: Beautiful scenery and those sandwiches make me hungry. Is the border open yet? ;)

Garry: Our budget meetings consisted of being told to get more blood out of the stone. Of course, that was strictly operations expense, but many of our trains were impacted by operating over Amtrak or NJT controlled ROW, and our control was limited. Somehow, we did it, but it did affect service.
Remember paint is an unnecessary expense. Office trailers are preferred to fixed structures. Shut all engines down when not in use when temperatures are above 40°, but what happens when the crew goes home, and the temperature goes below freezing?....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

P5 Power.jpg

Pair of P5 Box cabs taken 9/15/1955. Cool boxcar head out behind motors. Philadelphia, PA AC Zemke photo.

P5 Havre De Grace 5-15-54.jpg

And a Box cab leading a Modified with train at Havre De Grace, MD 5/15/1954 AC Zemke Photo.

I'm closing my Google & Youtube account soon so I don't know if any of my videos will still be available in any of my pasted posts. I signed on to Rumble.com a Canadian type youtube. I've had enough of Google in my life time.
George
I ran my own railway ‘forum’ on Facebook,but got so annoyed I handed it over to a competent modeller and he kept most of the mods,it still does well and his work has improved enormously I sneak in and say hi once a year, I use duck duck go - not google for searches - having once read the cookie policies and how many months…omg I mean years you agree to have their cookies chomping on your computer using up your hard drive, monitoring your every step,and anything you say in jest….can be used against you…l.I totally understand your concerns….our joint YouTube account has defunded Connections and ‘lost’ our subscriptions of those they target, pc correctness etc etc makes me want to scream. I have never had a run in with the police, and see no reason why I should and as an honest citizen cringe regularly at the stuff I see, the world as we knew it is basically circling the drain, and as for holidays abroad - lockdowns and self isolation not with standing there is not much encouraging me to live my own home and land,sad fact as I loved travel and new cultures - even a place I did holiday at in Tunisia has had shooting of holiday makers on the same beach - shudders. and the news and psychiatrists (hopefully none here I am insulting) using terms like incels does not help by labelling people as failures. how a 23 year old virgin thinks they has no future staggers me.And young women who believe they can have a a much more attractive man than themselves needa realty. Check - only for one night - you silly tart - then they run - a lasting relationship with a future relies on similarities, a rich man or woman can buy a younger more attractive model - but be serious it is not for your looks or personality (well ok there are exceptions, and some work out, but not many) coming here is my one step into internet friendship, the coffee shop is a calm in an otherwise weird world, where people are polite ignore any odd little rants…grins….and provide a voice that reminds me of saner times….nowadays that is a rare event…especially on social media…..sighs.

Good Morning All. It's mostly cloudy and 73° at this location. No rain since before midnight and the rain chance has been removed from the forecast until Wednesday. I ended up with .68" in the gauge overall. It finally warmed up a bit yesterday to 86°, after dropping down to 70° around noon. That's 12° below normal and it won't be much warmer today or tomorrow.

Blueberry waffles and a handful of bacon this morning Flo. The usual OJ to wash it down with.

Thanks to all who took the time to comment on or like the recent string of Big Boy pictures; Tom O, Karl, Christian, Rick, Sherrel, Hughie, Moermusic, Garry, Curt, Joe, Gary, Guy, Tom.

I worked on the General Store yesterday, almost completing it. But I didn't take any pictures yet. I rotated back and forth with adding weeds to Graham which allowed glue to set up in both places. Then I moved a freight train into Graham to see how it looked going through the newly decorated area and I couldn't put down the throttle. So my engineers got a day's work in.
So here are a few random shots from the archive. Just places - no theme or anything else.
05-02-18 017.JPG

08-04-20 009.JPG

03-09-17 010.JPG

03-09-17 012.JPG

Guy - Even though you told us they were repeats, the engine and bicycle one always impresses me.
Joe - I wish that I had time Friday to take more pictures, but the stop was shorter by 20 minutes and it was hard enough getting what I got. I would like to have gotten some long shots showing the whole thing. But I saw it and that works for me.
One of these days they will realize that the general public is tired of the theatrics, and that maybe they should work for the greater good instead
You mean follow the Constitution???o_O
Terry - Hard to believe that in this day and time with all of the computer tracking and intimate databases, they never seem to know that I have never purchased an extended warranty in my life!
Gary - I need to come to Halifax for lunch someday. Border open yet???
James - The trip to see UP4014 was well worth it. It was just under 30 miles away. The crowd wasn't really as frenetic as they appear in some of the pictures. Despite standing in the 95° heat, a dry heat for what that is worth, crowd was well-behaved and I was able to have a some casual conversations with several couples in my space. Because they stopped in the middle of a paved grade crossing, there was a lot of room. There was a bit of a rush after it came to a stop, but I got my best hoped for pictures before then. The police were friendly and very patient with the fans, but this was a loco viewing not a peaceful protest. I saw no UP police at all, just some railway workers who worked with the police. They did a good job.

In my church, today is the Feast of the Assumption, still called that. It's also National Lemon Meringue Pie Day for you dessert lovers.
Everybody have a great Sunday.

Good beautiful Wisconsin afternoon. We are at 79f degrees a slight breeze on the north deck just enjoying a no sugar 7up. The girls have a coffee carafe and all is good.

I have been informed that one my sister’s best friends are coming the Saturday before Labor Day for 3 nights. Her hubby is a model train wannabe so I need to have some trains running. That will spark the modeling mojo. I made a list of things to do and now I am whittling it now to a must be done list. Nothing too hard but I will need to hit the Michael’s Craft center tomorrow for ground goop supplies.

When has a model railroader been considered normal?

When I found out a couple weeks ago the Canadian/US border was opening I told Terry I wanted to visit Sault St. Marie and the Soo Locks crossing into Canada. Well we can’t. Both passports expired in May 2020 and we both totally forgot. 6 months to a year to renew per the State Department but there is another way but would have to pay some money. Another trip to put off to a non-Covid time.

Terry and I hit the local grocer this morning. This week probably 60% of the customers were masked up.

enjoying the day
TomO

3:08pm edit

the son in Austin texted that downtown Austin got 5” of rain in a hour. The Capital basement supposely has a knee high flood

Attachments

• 674E5F15-F1E0-49C4-9F99-94DDCE519FE1.jpeg
    674E5F15-F1E0-49C4-9F99-94DDCE519FE1.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back