Running Bear's August 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just returned from my trip to watch UP 4014 pass through the nearby city of Denton TX. OK, whoever posted that it was always on time was led astray! It was supposed to arrive at 5:00 pm and stay 30 minutes. NOT! It arrived almost two hours late at 6:55 and stayed only ten minutes. I knew that it would be late when first a NB and then 2 SB freight trains passed our location between 5:00 and 6:35. Still a sight to behold. I took about 55 pictures, most of which are OK. Some are of the passing freights because I was bored. Here are a few pictures that are notable.
View attachment 131159View attachment 131160View attachment 131161View attachment 131162View attachment 131163View attachment 131164View attachment 131165View attachment 131166View attachment 131167
I did manage one souvenir.
View attachment 131168
I could not get an overall shot due to the crowd on the grade crossing which was the only place that I could stand back far enough.
One AWESOME machine.

willie,

Forgive me O bearded one. In 2019 it hit its schedule in Wisconsin absolutely on time. That was prior to Covid, so Covid must be interfering. Neat machine though!

TomO

Good morning gang!

No coffee today Flo, just a huge glass of Ice and a bottle of diet Dew

Sitting here on my work perch, whiling away another Saturday. It seems the A/C here is on the fritz. Not sure what's up. 2 days ago you could hang meat in here, now I'm sweating. Thank goodness I'm out of here at 2.

Willie. Great pics! The Big Boy is a beast! The trailing diesel had an interesting stencil on the cab "under warranty". I wonder what that is about?

BBL

Thank you for all the likes and comments on my posts. Very appreciated. Now you know the reason why...

DROOPY 01-3.jpg

Good morning Crew. So far this morning it is almost a repeat of yesterday. 64f degrees now heading to 80 with low humidity and slight winds. The difference from yesterday is there doesn’t seem to be a breeze. Yesterday was glorious.

Flo, a sugar free Dr Pepper and some toast buttered no jelly please.

I am sure a Farmers Market is in the plan but the ladies are out riding. I watched the Persis Meteor shower before sunrise this morning. I try to catch it every year or so if I read about it or a weather person on TV mentions it. It was pretty interesting with lots of action this morning and thankfully the weather guy mentioned it as Terry was watching.

I have got my swim in, showered and blew out the dirt on the garage floor. I love my leaf blower! Just sitting on the south deck waiting for the ladies.

Willie, the 4015 is also a beast of a machine but felt like nothing behind that Big Boy.

guy, reruns of those pictures are great and inspiring stuff to model. As to your hummingbird duty… Reads like you have a Xmas present in the making or at least a “honey I was thinking of you“ present for extra good points! Put those pictures together into an album of some sort or go to a print shop and ask them to blow a couple up and frame them, or both, just suggesting

Boris, medical tests really suck when they are inconclusive

Instead of our usual Wisconsin Friday night Fish fry curbside Covid pickup we opted for outdoor dining at a supposed higher end Mexican food place. Even made a 3:30pm reservation. Yeah, 3:30, we have definitely with that hit the senior division. Geez, that’s snack time not dinner. Anyway we get there and the 3 at the host stand greet us and lead us to an indoor table. Before I could say anything Terry says our reservation is for outdoor seating, he says we have no server for outside. There were 4 tables of maybe 20 with diners we could see outside. Terry said thanks we are leaving. He goes, should I cancel your reservation? !!! We went next door to an amazing outdoor patio at the Italian place maybe 300’ feet away. I grew up with Italian food made by mom and my grandmother. This felt like eating at grandma’s big kitchen table. It was well worth eating too early in the day. We will take the Mex place off our dining list and add the Italian place.

enjoy your day
TomO

5D0EE583-F00B-4186-A228-EFFFF197B320.jpeg

C8175857-B48C-4FB5-B639-F31F31AF9072.jpeg

497C0E24-D2E3-432D-B055-ABCBE405628D.jpeg

Texas Hobo, I can’t recall, are you using DCC or DC? I was just looking at some of your old pics of your steam engines lined up.
I use Digitrax zephyr. I have 3 steam locos that are DCC. Since I'm not a stickler about prototype I run them when the mood strikes me. Currently running FEF-3, hauling a mixed freight, while a tandem set of SD40-2's moves a coal train.

Karl/Chad & others. All of the UP's SD70M's have UNDER WARRANTY stenciled underneath the cab window. They have had that on them since they were new in the late 90's. It struck me as odd, but a check over on locophotos.com shows it on all of them. I remember originally seeing that back in the early 2000's when I railfanned that line more often. It wasn't on any of the AC6044CW's, or ES44AC's that I saw yesterday. I should actually railfan that line more than I do as a break in the endless strings of intermodal trains on the BNSF line much closer to me. Yesterday's three trains while waiting for 4014 included a coal train (boring) and two mixed freights with mostly tankers, covered hoppers and boxcars.

It's now 71° outside with 0.5" in the rain gauge. Rains over for now but this is an incredibly low temperature for midday August 14! Still raining at the weather Underground station around the corner a mile away. Pool at 82° is far warmer. I have a nice wild-caught salmon filet thawing to grill for supper tonight.

Karl/Chad & others. All of the UP's SD70M's have UNDER WARRANTY stenciled underneath the cab window. They have had that on them since they were new in the late 90's. It struck me as odd, but a check over on locophotos.com shows it on all of them. I remember originally seeing that back in the early 2000's when I railfanned that line more often. It wasn't on any of the AC6044CW's, or ES44AC's that I saw yesterday. I should actually railfan that line more than I do as a break in the endless strings of intermodal trains on the BNSF line much closer to me. Yesterday's three trains while waiting for 4014 included a coal train (boring) and two mixed freights with mostly tankers, covered hoppers and boxcars.

Do you get a lot of UP running in your area? I believe UP and BNSF share trackage rights with each other.

Good afternoon. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. 88° with increasing clouds, and a 30% chance of storms between now and 10PM. Tomorrow will be considerably cooler and less humid, with unsettled weather, (whatever that means?), next week. Tomorrow is the feast of St. Mary the Virgin, (Episcopal), or St. Mary, Mother of Our Lord, (LCMS). August 15 also marks a subtle change in the weather in the Northeast, as well as the beginning of the Fall planting season.

Thank you for all the likes and complements for the PRR E8 photos I recently posted. That pretty much covers all the regular contributors to the coffee shop.

All's quiet on the model railroad front, today. I had planned to do some operating and planning this afternoon, but other things came up. perhaps later this evening. I really need to focus on the next two modules.

Willie: That UNCLE PETE 4-8-8-4 had to be awesome to see in person. Thanks for sharing it with your photos.

Hughie: Your layout looks great. Just curious, why New England? Broom Company is fantastic...do they supply brooms to the girls from Salem?

Guy ..... Based on your pictures of CN locomotives, I suspect you are located a very long way from the paint shop ! :)

Garry: As a former GTW Accountant, you know paint is an unnecessary expenditure...Right? ;)

B&O Train early 1960s.jpg

B&O and RDG power on a freight in the Mid West around 1964. No photographer citation.

Washington St 1973 PC 9796.jpg

PC #9796 aon Washington St. South Philly in 1973. Old gond behind engine is probably a reacher car for tight curves on the street railroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back