Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

Good Morning All!

45F @ 74% and partly

Could see the 'partial' eclipse yesterday through the clouds; on and off. Pix was a no go as even though the moon was masking the sun, camera did not get any of the 'black' part. Darktable was no help. I suspect that we saw 30% to 40% coverage.

Did find this image from NASA and thought it pretty cool:
eclipse.jpg

From one of NASA's telescopes. Hmmm, I want one.

Later

Morning all,

47° and clear, high of 70° later.

That was no moon eclipse yesterday:

View attachment 185716

The government was moving the death star...

Popped my left arm\shoulder over Easter weekend and the again on Saturday night. I now have a lumpy muscle for a left bicep. When I took my blood pressure last night, I was left with a nasty looking bruise over the lumpy muscle. Not sure what's up, but have an appointment next week, so I'll mention it to the Dr when I see him. Kids said I should go to immediate care, but all they'd do is charge me to take an x-ray that won't show them anything and tell me to check with my Primary care Dr at my earliest convenience. Doesn't really hurt, more stiff than anything, and I can hide the bruise, so I'll cope.

BBL
You need to slow down and take a break! The injuries, aches and pains are piling up. A few good nights' rest is in order too.

Death Star was great!

Afternoon All,

Most of the day has been spent at the VA and getting bird food (9:30-2:30). The doc was happy with the lab results but because of the allergic reaction I had to give another 6 tubes of blood for testing and what they called a clean mid-stream urine sample-sorry. :confused: I have a phone appointment with the doc on 1 May to go over the results. Tomorrow is window seal and frame cleaning.:( The ordered lights are finally on the move, and they should be here around Friday.

Tom- Great set of photos.

Patrick- I hope your shoulder feels better.

Guy- Great start with the details.

Alan- It looks very nice. What kind diesel is it?

Bill- That looks massive.

Troy- Bureaucracy at it's best.

Willie- Nice details.

David- Have fun with the grandkids. Nice layout shots. I'm glad Dawn is doing better.

Todd- Very cool photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon all,

One day left this week, and 4 days off before starting the new schedule. I have 2 things to attend next Wednesday (Cyber Training) and an all day Cyber conference on Thursday. Then off a week, come back to Work 2 days and then off 3 days, work Saturday May 4th morning (server updates) and then off one last day.

My wife said she'd like to go somewhere in July , but I won't have any time. I reminded her that this time I'm using I need to burn or lose. I'll still have 3 weeks of vacation, a week of comp time, a week of holiday time , a float holiday and 3 "wellness" days when I'm done. The float and wellness days I'll lose at the end of the year if I don't use them, but get paid for 3 weeks of vacation, the comp and non-floating holiday hours if I leave.

Everyone have a good night...

Good evening. It's mostly cloudy and 82.
I found a "bargain" on our favorite auction site, and picked up a new in the box painted brass PRR N5B caboose. It was only a little more expensive than a plastic version, at $59. Prices on some of this stuff seem to continue to plummet, too bad it hasn't dropped enough to offset the rise in price of staples.

Morning all. The world is still here and the rapture didn't happen, so on we go! For those with interest in the Wally SD9 light package here is a photo and some videos. I'm not sure why they did it this way. For the quality of the rest of the model and the fine way they run this is something of a WTF moment for me. over at NAPM, we're looking at what to do with it. My plan is if all else fails or it's just too darn much work, I'll run it in consist with the Black widow leading and lights out since it's trailing, but for a model of this quality this is serious BS!
SD-9 Light Board 1.jpg

This is without a doubt the worst light bar design I've ever seen. I have a fix, but to have to do the amount of work it will require on a model in this price range is not right! Shame on you Walthers! Boooooo! Videos of the sorry performance below:

Last edited:
Well, howdy there internet peeps and those still wondering where the sunshine went for four minutes!

Found an interesting video "just down the road" from SFW Estate... (in Texan terms, "Just down the road" - that's a big state). There might be some good modeling inspiration gleaned from the video. Something to put in the Spaces between Places.

Had some ooey-gooey pizza at a local place last night. Left overs for tonight.

Here's the garlic knots appetizer:"
garlic.jpg

Still working on books. Got three refreshed and rebuilt. Only 16 more to go. I'd like to get the main 10 done this week.

Good morning gang!

Cloudy and 57°, heading to 77°.

Flo, my dear, coffee pluease!! And have Mel fix me a breakfast burrito with a side of bacon!

Alan, I agree, those lights look like 💩. Especially when you consider what that engine costs! Might I suggest Pico warm white LEDs. Very tiny, quite bright. They are what I use for ditch lights.

BBL

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 60°, with rain in the forecast again today. But I don't see that happening from my vantage. Mist and drizzle overnight that just barely registered in the rain gauge here, maybe that's what the NWS is counting! The overnight storms Monday have moved over East Texas and Louisiana. I still have some water in low spots and for a while yesterday my pond was overflowing the spillway.

An extra long co-visit with the primary care doctor and his nurse-practitioner yesterday, since it was also time for the annual wellness check-up and physical. EKG's, the stupid fall and depression questions for Medicare, blood draws; the whole works. Some of this stuff is required for my supplemental insurance coverage as well as Medicare. Gotta keep the people paying all of the bills happy. Together my wife and I got a full hour's visit. Bad news is that I gained 6 pounds, good news is that he didn't notice. I gotta take care of that on my own.

On today's agenda is a trip to Dallas to drop off my wife and pick up our other granddog. She, my #1 daughter, her husband and our granddaughter are heading to Fredericksburg TX for four days of winery tours and wildflower viewing. Duh! I have lots of wildflowers here in my wildflower meadow that I have been picking and bringing in to her. Of course since it just rained heavily, the granddog will need his paws cleaned every time that he goes out.
The downside is that the former H&R Blockhead didn't finish our taxes on time and is going to have to file an extension the day that she returns, 4-15.:mad: Unfortunately she miscalculated back in December when we did an RMD from an IRA and we may now owe money, she thinks. More research is needed. If we indeed owe, the amount isn't very much, but she needs to ensure that this thing is done correctly. I'll pay it when we file the extension and if it is wrong, then we'll eventually get a refund. One thing that screwed the calculation was the interest that the IRS added to our late refund last year. So not only is our government spending money that it doesn't have, they're paying interest to taxpayers for sending their tax refunds late!

Didn't get home from the doctor trip until lunchtime, then a nap, then the delayed household chores and I didn't get out to the train shed until after 4:00. No real time to do anything except run a few trains, darn! ;)
So how about some engine pictures of stuff that I don't often show. Here's a pair of GP60's in the blue/yellow warbonnet scheme.
IMG_2314.JPG

Due to a clause in the lease of these units, they are still in this paint scheme today, although there is a large BNSF printed below the new engine number. Most have been retired now.
Now a pair of GP38-2's. These are the only EMD model that ATSF owned without dynamic brakes, as they were obtained in their takeover of the TP&W in 1983. There were 11 of them.
IMG_7692.JPG

Another unusual diesel in the fleet was the 10-GP40X's. This was a testbed for the GP50 that EMD later introduced.
03-12-19 020.JPG

Patrick - Good luck with the body mending up. Try to remember that you aren't getting any younger.
David -
Good evening all. A glass of apple juice please, Flo. Cannot have anything stronger as the grandchildren are here.
Sometimes that calls for something stronger!

Everyone have a great day, I'll check in when I return.

Good morning from another very brightly lit So. Central Wisconsin. No clouds and no Moon in the way of the sun. Today’s high is 69f degrees, such a wonderful number.

2 of the son’s crew reported they had sore eyes yesterday. Drunk or not, you can’t look at an eclipse without the right glasses…

The wife, my sister and the friend are enjoying Austin. 1st time for this friend and the son said testerday it was like chauffeuring around a bunch of 20 yr olds. They are enjoying their time. They will meet up with my brother, his g/f and other friends tonight at dinner. They are coming home (here) tomorrow.

I have 3 box cars to finish up, hopefully before noon today. This afternoon at 2 done or not I will move my shop with a friend and SIL’s help to the new place.

I drove around yesterday the property the next door (sort of) neighbor “needs” to sell. He’s medically self insured and 2 family members and cancer treatments are draining his finances. The issue is he wants a lease back until he retires in 6 years. Some “due diligence” needs to be done and I need our surveyor to look it over but we did shake on it. That’s good enough for me and he seemed relieved…

enjoy the day

Good morning gang!

Cloudy and 57°, heading to 77°.

Flo, my dear, coffee pluease!! And have Mel fix me a breakfast burrito with a side of bacon!

Alan, I agree, those lights look like 💩. Especially when you consider what that engine costs! Might I suggest Pico warm white LEDs. Very tiny, quite bright. They are what I use for ditch lights.

BBL
Photos of the fix will follow! :)

Morning folks

Spring continues unabated. Another dusting of new snow and 34F---

I did a little more research on my late father's steam shovel toy yesterday. It appears to be the 1925 Buddy L tracked version. The ears on the boom support are broken where it mounts to the deck but I think I can solder it up with a couple of reinforcement "plates". Pretty thin material to attempt to weld it.

I drove around yesterday the property the next door (sort of) neighbor “needs” to sell. He’s medically self insured and 2 family members and cancer treatments are draining his finances. The issue is he wants a lease back until he retires in 6 years. Some “due diligence” needs to be done and I need our surveyor to look it over but we did shake on it. That’s good enough for me and he seemed relieved…
It's nice to see that two dudes can shake on a deal. Obviously the correct documents and legal stuff need to be done in the end but it's nice to see a shake to tentatively make a deal.

Morning folks

Spring continues unabated. Another dusting of new snow and 34F---

I did a little more research on my late father's steam shovel toy yesterday. It appears to be the 1925 Buddy L tracked version. The ears on the boom support are broken where it mounts to the deck but I think I can solder it up with a couple of reinforcement "plates". Pretty thin material to attempt to weld it.
Have you thought about trying to braze the joint?

Morning all. The world is still here and the rapture didn't happen, so on we go! For those with interest in the Wally SD9 light package here is a photo and some videos. I'm not sure why they did it this way. For the quality of the rest of the model and the fine way they run this is something of a WTF moment for me. over at NAPM, we're looking at what to do with it. My plan is if all else fails or it's just too darn much work, I'll run it in consist with the Black widow leading and lights out since it's trailing, but for a model of this quality this is serious BS!
View attachment 185733
This is without a doubt the worst light bar design I've ever seen. I have a fix, but to have to do the amount of work it will require on a model in this price range is not right! Shame on you Walthers! Boooooo! Videos of the sorry performance below:

Alan-

I gotta tell ya the Athearn's Econami series did a nice job on the lighting for the Mars lighting and SP's light system. I have 4 units of various schemes in the SP. 2 of which are experimental schemes and 2 are prototype Prime to Grime series. Even the red light works as well! You can see them work on my YT videos for the SD40s I have. I will check to see if I did a demo on the red light too tonight after work. I know I did all of the other functions on video. I can do another quick video tonight just to show of lighting.

Last edited:

Back