Running Bear's April 2024 Coffee Shop

An early Good Morning All. The thunderstorms finally hit last night just before midnight. Then at 0123, a bright flash, a very loud boom and our power went out. I've been up ever since; no ceiling fan in the bedroom. I called the power company around 0200 and they were out front making repairs by 0420, and our power returned about 10 minutes later. Lighting struck our transformer/pole as we were the only ones in the immediate area in darkness. I'm going back to bed right now, since we have a primary care doctor visit later this morning and I need to be rested!
We once bought a 3000 pound sauna shower cubicle half price
All singing all dancing
You could answer the phone inside it I joke thee not it had a telephone wired in
Double doors seat if your bum not too big and a beautiful overhead rain feature
Foot spa it was great
Sauna yes sitting there you would eventually scream mercy and debunk
6 months in a thunderstorm lighting and it fried the motherboard
Well it was Chinese translated by a non English speaking person
Two different plumbers and their billings could not get it to work properly and the basic shower was hicuppy
We contacted the chinese company be email and got a Chinese reply tried it on translate which was a feat all in itself remember we are talking other than Roman characters a b c yeah anyway I do not know if they understood us but we did not understand them
We limped with it as we had a second bathroom with a shower and it was backup until finally I insisted we Replaced it, on the understanding I did the tiling to reduce the costs and we now have a working shower, oh yeah but the plumber fitted it knowing the power draw was larger than the consumer unit, so I can go full blast on the economy but go even a little into the high choice and the consumer unit faints
who looked at the system,who bought the shower who fitted it the plumber
who took no responsibility for the fact it was not a good choice the plumber

2 years ago the shower in the other bathroom died, husband looked checked model still available paid the princely sum of 99.99 pounds
Turned off the water at the mains ran taps to drain system removed broken unti 4 screws 1 water connector looked underneath winced got so water sealer fixed the poorly fitted seal replaced unit, turned on mains turned in taps, and hey presto we have a working shower. 99.99 pounds I ;aid over 2000 for the replacement shower porcelain base glass sides and tiles, sighs.
I hate plumbers,

Husband has repaired toilets, fitted kitchens, rep,aced leaky taps, fixed leaks and not one has lasted less than 3 years, and he hates plumbing, and to be fair the toilet is a heath robinson as the correct part has changed and is sufficiently different to consider pulling out the porcelain!!!! So him stopping water and money leaking down the back of the toilet is a total win.

and no he won’t fix other peoples, he hates plumbing.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 58F and clear. Went outside at the appropriate time and it was a bust. Didn't see anything of note. So much for the big event. Earlier I finally finished getting the pool summerized and did a bunch of inside chores keeping me busy for the morning. Tomorrow mid-day I have a VA appointment then have to buy 25# of parrot food that will last around 2.5 months.

Old 97- Great song.

Troy- I drink light caffeine coffee in the morning and a cup of decaf in the afternoon. That is a good look for you!

David- Prayers for Dawn.

TomO- I hope your wife has fun. You're staying at home?

Willie- Nice photos.

Louis- Great group and song.

Sherel- Take care of yourself.

Hughie- Nice layout shot.

Chad- When Dad was stationed in Germany (early 70's) we were in a small town of Budigen (NE of Frankfurt) every couple of weeks we would go to a restaurant, and I always got Jagerschnitzel to eat.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, I will be there. Don’t really need to see Adele but I’ve read she puts on a good show. Happy wife thing…

Good morning All!!!
Awoke early to be productive today.
We'll see what transpires. :)
Always great to see Bill here with the lights on!
Flo, I'll have the rise and shine skillet special, with extra sausage gravy and biscuits please.
Coffee and maybe one of those fireball shooters too.
It's basically mouthwash. :)

Morning all,

47° and clear, high of 70° later.

That was no moon eclipse yesterday:

deathstar.jpg

The government was moving the death star...

Popped my left arm\shoulder over Easter weekend and the again on Saturday night. I now have a lumpy muscle for a left bicep. When I took my blood pressure last night, I was left with a nasty looking bruise over the lumpy muscle. Not sure what's up, but have an appointment next week, so I'll mention it to the Dr when I see him. Kids said I should go to immediate care, but all they'd do is charge me to take an x-ray that won't show them anything and tell me to check with my Primary care Dr at my earliest convenience. Doesn't really hurt, more stiff than anything, and I can hide the bruise, so I'll cope.

BBL

Good morning from another nice morning in Wisconsin. 45f degrees now feeling like 38 and we may hit the 60 mark.

Yesterday’s eclipse occurred here in very bright cloudless skies. I was at the weathering bench as glasses locally for viewing were unavailable. I watched via a live stream of ABCnews.

The weathering adventures yesterday are indicating to me I need a break. I messed up over the weekend with mineral spirits on one of the covered hoppers. Crazing caused by some interaction. Tried to use it as surface rust and let’s just say, it still looks like a crazed side. I then did a couple end panels on a box car a touch darker than I had it and boy I basically obliterated the end panels in rust. I will fix that this morning before breakfast and this being Tuesday will then take the day off from the bench.

I am not going to Austin to meet up with the wife and Crew there. They will be coming here Thursday and I’m not up to 2 airline flights in 3 days. If Terry didn’t have medical stuff here on Friday to return to I would have gone and stayed till next Monday.

Being such a nice day out I will be on the ATV riding the trails. I also need to bring in one of the computerized weather stations on the property if I can’t repair it in the field.

I was asked yesterday to look at 3 of the neighbor’s fields as he’d like to sell part of his farm. He and I will ride them today and Terry agrees we should acquire them if he is not too crazy on the price. The mixed multi-residential real estate market is still booming around us. These 3 fields would fit into our overall plan. It does touch our property and he is the guy renting our fields for his additional corn planting. He did surprise me yesterday when he asked if we’d be interested.

Enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Clear and 59° on the restart to my day. As posted earlier this morning, the predicted thunderstorms showed up last night and left me with 3.25" in the rain gauge. More rain in the forecast for tonight into tomorrow, but not as severe.

Short and sweet this morning, as I posted earlier we both have a joint appointment with our primary care doctor this morning. It's a 45 minute trip to the office if there are no traffic issues. There's never a wait any more as he quit taking "walk-ins" during Covid and hasn't resumed. Afterwards, outdoor tasks will be minimal since parts of the yard are still underwater while it slowly drains off. I do have a wagon-load of firewood that I could stack properly, already positioned on the higher ground where the stacks are located. That won't take long.

Along the lines of Troy's adventure with the UK bureaucrats, I had a conversation yesterday with the compliance clerk at the county property tax office. They had sent me a letter a couple of weeks ago requesting that I reaffirm my homestead and senior citizen exemptions on my property. I had to ask why I went 43 years without having to do it and was told that it was a new state law. It's supposed to be done every five years, and ours hadn't been done since 2015 when we applied for the senior exemption. Hmmmh! That's 9 years by my math! She was cordial enough so I didn't press her any further except to point out that we weren't getting younger and still owned the same piece of property.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly just piddled around. As I posted the other day, I have some assorted detail parts that I am dealing with, mostly white metal things that came with various kits. Here are three lampposts that I cleaned up, primed and painted. Nothing special here.
IMG_1550.JPG

Then there's a pair of lawnmowers. These are resin castings.
IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

A stack of boxes and barrels and a broom.
IMG_1556.JPG

Again, not much but a few things to keep me occupied that will spice up some scenes somewhere.

Jaz - The person who originally built our house and only lived in it for 9 months, installed telephone jacks (remember those) in both bathrooms, for reasons unknown! I originally just removed the guts and covered the boxes with blank plates, but I have since removed them both when remodeling.

Everyone have a great day.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 59° on the restart to my day. As posted earlier this morning, the predicted thunderstorms showed up last night and left me with 3.25" in the rain gauge. More rain in the forecast for tonight into tomorrow, but not as severe.

Short and sweet this morning, as I posted earlier we both have a joint appointment with our primary care doctor this morning. It's a 45 minute trip to the office if there are no traffic issues. There's never a wait any more as he quit taking "walk-ins" during Covid and hasn't resumed. Afterwards, outdoor tasks will be minimal since parts of the yard are still underwater while it slowly drains off. I do have a wagon-load of firewood that I could stack properly, already positioned on the higher ground where the stacks are located. That won't take long.

Along the lines of Troy's adventure with the UK bureaucrats, I had a conversation yesterday with the compliance clerk at the county property tax office. They had sent me a letter a couple of weeks ago requesting that I reaffirm my homestead and senior citizen exemptions on my property. I had to ask why I went 43 years without having to do it and was told that it was a new state law. It's supposed to be done every five years, and ours hadn't been done since 2015 when we applied for the senior exemption. Hmmmh! That's 9 years by my math! She was cordial enough so I didn't press her any further except to point out that we weren't getting younger and still owned the same piece of property.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I mostly just piddled around. As I posted the other day, I have some assorted detail parts that I am dealing with, mostly white metal thins that came with various kits. Here are three lampposts that I cleaned up, primed and painted. Nothing special here.
View attachment 185727
Then there's a pair of lawnmowers. These are resin castings.
View attachment 185730
View attachment 185731
A stack of boxes and barrels and a broom.
View attachment 185732
Again, not much but a few things to keep me occupied that will spice up some scenes somewhere.

Jaz - The person who originally built our house and only lived in it for 9 months, installed telephone jacks (remember those) in both bathrooms, for reasons unknown! I originally just removed the guts and covered the boxes with blank plates, but I have since removed them both when remodeling.

Everyone have a great day.
Willie, everybody know the phone only rings when you're in the bathroom.

Good afternoon from a very wet land of the former North British Railway.
Three grandchildren are here and playing together. One going home this evening and two staying here for two nights.

Dawn is feeling much better and she thanks those that sent thoughts and prayers.

Time for afternoon tea.

Back later

An early Good Morning All. The thunderstorms finally hit last night just before midnight. Then at 0123, a bright flash, a very loud boom and our power went out. I've been up ever since; no ceiling fan in the bedroom. I called the power company around 0200 and they were out front making repairs by 0420, and our power returned about 10 minutes later. Lighting struck our transformer/pole as we were the only ones in the immediate area in darkness. I'm going back to bed right now, since we have a primary care doctor visit later this morning and I need to be rested!
You guys get rocked with some pretty powerful storms.

Do you have a back-up generator?

MY - What interesting lives everyone leads ... TROY - You think the British are tough, you should try the Saudi's. Your story brought back a flood of memories - along with being funny as well. I have learned that the "peter principle" works in all form of government. More on this later - wife just awakened and informed me that "we" have to hit the breakfast bar before 9, or we miss out!

Back home it was a low of 41 this morning and advertised 80 degrees with clear and sunny.
We completely missed the eclipse yesterday as I was getting zapped during that time.

Later gator!

Good evening all. A glass of apple juice please, Flo. Cannot have anything stronger as the grandchildren are here.

I have been doing a few jobs around the house whilst Dawn has been entertaining the kids.

Now looking at a few old photographs of the layout.

A 46t crane. Actually a HO scale one from Kleinbahn of Austria. Just the right size for the layout and not overpowering the scene. Another reason I bought it was the guy selling it wanted £12.00. I offered a cheeky £9.00 and it was accepted. I weathered it to 'knock the plastic look off'. It now resides at Crown Point Yard as its base.

IMG_2895.JPG

Another look at Charlie Marston's Salvage Yard. The men are hard at work.

scrap.JPG

Back