Running Bear's April 2023 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a pair of these for our dog when she couldn’t get on the bed and couch any more:
Thanks - I've been looking - I wish the garage was not full of the MIL's belongings - I would build a step for her. I built one years ago and my daughter has it now. It was a ramp - she has a couple of handicapped pups that can no longer jump at all. Going to see if I can get to enough tools and wood to make one for her, or the steps - she would need three and would have to be pretty wide as she can only master one step at a time.

PS. Giant neighborhood yard sale coming up at the end of this month ... hopefully will unload the garage and I can have my workspace back.

Good Morning All!

34F @ 85% and snowing

Looks like Ma Nature is fooling us ... again.

IMGP8230.JPG

Got our burn permit yesterday as the Wife is chomping at the bit to get started. I almost went and got fuel: Red Dye for the tractor, Premium plus plus for the mowers, weed eater and chain saws but for some reason did not. 2 cycle jiz for the eater and saws too. Ran out of milk last night so I suspect that will get that along with the fuel in an hour or so. Don't think she is gonna want to be outside in this April Fools stuff. Have a month so to get it done, should not be a problem ... oh well, will give me some time to get everything up and running while ima not freezing my butt off. Don't want to put the batteries back in stuff as it still is freezing at night. Tractor I am not worried about. At least that can get her started if she wishes. Lots of little stuff can be done before we start on the trees, branches and other artifacts. Have 2 pine that have some kind of crud and are dying so they are coming down, cottonwood already down on the ground for 2 years so they need cut up. Not to bad this year as we had time last fall to get a general cleaning done before the snow. Dang leaf are most of the issues; wind did not blow it elsewhere which we were kinda hoping.

Later

Good Morning All. Clear and 54°. Calm as opposed to yesterday's gale force winds. Settled weather for the next few days with a small chance of thundershowers tomorrow. Weather people really have no clue right now after missing the past few days by a mile! Mid-70's today and tomorrow with low 90's the next two days; and then a couple of days in the upper 60's. Roller coaster indeed. I think that it's just a giant April Fool's joke on us.
I mowed parts of the "back 40" yesterday, ridding the area of all unsightly weed stalks from last year, and defining the yard versus the hayfield border. That's more important this year since the neighbor's son and grandson are taking over the farming activities now and they need to know where the border is. I certainly don't need one of them to plow into my water diversion dyke/levee. Marty did hit my garden fence last fall, even with a red T-post marking it.
I put new cutting blades on my shredder yesterday. Took longer than expected since the factory installed Allen bolts were in pretty tight. Add to that I couldn't find the correct size metric Allen fitting so I had to go up to the neighbor's shop and have him loosen them. But it got done. I'll start shredding those piles of tree trimmings today. Still too early to tell, but I think that I have two dead trees to get cut down this spring. If they are indeed dead, they won't need as long drying before they can become usable firewood. While I am at it, I am reminded that I have two culled trees on the ground on the other side of my pond that need cutting up but it has been too marshy to deal with lately. they need to be gone before I start mowing over there. Speaking of my pond, I had a small group of migratory ducks sheltering over there last evening. I didn't notice until they decided to take off and get an extra half hour of flight time in after the dust storm stopped.

I made the new pasture a quick project yesterday, out in the train shed. I used Woodland Scenics barbed wire fence to make it quickly after doing the ground foam in the morning. Couldn't realistically fit as many cows as planned, but there's still a few, just seven instead of ten.
IMG_3276.JPG

IMG_3277.JPG

That's the afternoon northbound intermodal train waiting on the siding there in front of the refinery, waiting for the last of the southbounders to go by.

Sherrel - Welcome back to our world. Glad that you're feeling better. Same for Charlie. Hopefully Foxie gets to feeling better before Kate makes it home.
Mike - So glad to read that your wife is recovering. My wife has had both knees done, one of them a second time. The new knee works perfectly well the minute that it is installed, but pain keeps most people from using it much immediately. Make sure that she does the physical therapy regardless of the pain, as it is very necessary.
Tom O - That's interesting about the pictures of spline cars taken in 2021. Were they in active use?
Curt - That spanking sequence happened in grade school a lot, not only to me but to other classmates. Someone would go home and tell their parents that little Billy got spanked by a nun, then those parents would call Billy's parents and tell them. By high school, most of my classmates didn't talk about that kind of stuff with their parents.
Todd - That is interesting that you need a burn permit. You must be closer to town than I thought you were. We have burn bans but no burn permits. If case you don't already know, Pine and Cottonwood make lousy indoor firewood. Too much creosote and barely any BTU's. It's really too bad, since I have three "volunteer" Cottonwoods near my pond that at 45'+ are the biggest trees on my property.

Everybody have a great day.

Well, howdy there internet people, whether you be fools or not.

It's Troy again...

Who was it that just got the laser cutter?

Seems that my Favorite 3D printer maker has a Kickstarter primed for this:

I've already asked if it's an April's Fools joke. No response.
Screenshot 2023-04-01 at 9.41.16 AM.png

Good Afternoon All,

First thing today we took Dad to the airport and he's currently in OH with his younger brother and wife. After the airport we stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast:)(a guilty pleasure), but back to cereal tomorrow. MOH wants to go out for Thai tonight. She leaves tomorrow and will be gone until Friday afternoon. I shot 2 videos on the layout today. One westbound and the other eastbound. The lighting in the room is horrible. I still need to do a nighttime one.

Sherrel- Good news about Charlie but not so good for Foxie.

Mike- Happy Anniversary.

Willie- Nice locomotive shots.

Terry- Did you make it to the train show?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Tom I have a golf friend who builds pole horse barns and is never out of work. He says, I would like to retire but I get so many calls with people wanting to pay me top dollar for the building. Another one of my golf friend's wives takes care of 250 show horses at a facility in Bedford NY. It's a big business not many people know about.
Swal
Oh it’s a huge business for sure.

The stables can hold 80 horses, and has 3 medical stalls and 3 wash stalls. The Vet was on property and they all have done well over the years. Typically after that 1st year she had 60+ horses boarding full time with various care and feeding packages. 52 was roughly break even. The vet on board was a great asset. While it was a rescue center for mainly horses Terry did though also get the occasional lamas, imus and cows.

A lot of the stables around here are about 25 horses and there is no 24/7 hour staff and only 2 others in 6 counties surrounding us have available Vets. Our Vets lived above the vet center about 250’ across the parking area and were on call 24/7. That was a huge asset plus a staff f/t and p/t that loved to take care of the critters.

Terry enjoyed it but last year and especially during the 2 Covid years were very trying.

Good Morning All. Clear and 54°. Calm as opposed to yesterday's gale force winds. Settled weather for the next few days with a small chance of thundershowers tomorrow. Weather people really have no clue right now after missing the past few days by a mile! Mid-70's today and tomorrow with low 90's the next two days; and then a couple of days in the upper 60's. Roller coaster indeed. I think that it's just a giant April Fool's joke on us.
I mowed parts of the "back 40" yesterday, ridding the area of all unsightly weed stalks from last year, and defining the yard versus the hayfield border. That's more important this year since the neighbor's son and grandson are taking over the farming activities now and they need to know where the border is. I certainly don't need one of them to plow into my water diversion dyke/levee. Marty did hit my garden fence last fall, even with a red T-post marking it.
I put new cutting blades on my shredder yesterday. Took longer than expected since the factory installed Allen bolts were in pretty tight. Add to that I couldn't find the correct size metric Allen fitting so I had to go up to the neighbor's shop and have him loosen them. But it got done. I'll start shredding those piles of tree trimmings today. Still too early to tell, but I think that I have two dead trees to get cut down this spring. If they are indeed dead, they won't need as long drying before they can become usable firewood. While I am at it, I am reminded that I have two culled trees on the ground on the other side of my pond that need cutting up but it has been too marshy to deal with lately. they need to be gone before I start mowing over there. Speaking of my pond, I had a small group of migratory ducks sheltering over there last evening. I didn't notice until they decided to take off and get an extra half hour of flight time in after the dust storm stopped.

I made the new pasture a quick project yesterday, out in the train shed. I used Woodland Scenics barbed wire fence to make it quickly after doing the ground foam in the morning. Couldn't realistically fit as many cows as planned, but there's still a few, just seven instead of ten.
View attachment 165782
View attachment 165783
That's the afternoon northbound intermodal train waiting on the siding there in front of the refinery, waiting for the last of the southbounders to go by.

Sherrel - Welcome back to our world. Glad that you're feeling better. Same for Charlie. Hopefully Foxie gets to feeling better before Kate makes it home.
Mike - So glad to read that your wife is recovering. My wife has had both knees done, one of them a second time. The new knee works perfectly well the minute that it is installed, but pain keeps most people from using it much immediately. Make sure that she does the physical therapy regardless of the pain, as it is very necessary.
Tom O - That's interesting about the pictures of spline cars taken in 2021. Were they in active use?
Curt - That spanking sequence happened in grade school a lot, not only to me but to other classmates. Someone would go home and tell their parents that little Billy got spanked by a nun, then those parents would call Billy's parents and tell them. By high school, most of my classmates didn't talk about that kind of stuff with their parents.
Todd - That is interesting that you need a burn permit. You must be closer to town than I thought you were. We have burn bans but no burn permits. If case you don't already know, Pine and Cottonwood make lousy indoor firewood. Too much creosote and barely any BTU's. It's really too bad, since I have three "volunteer" Cottonwoods near my pond that at 45'+ are the biggest trees on my property.
84F7E598-7EF3-4B49-95FA-49293DD73991.png

Willie, yep crossing the bridges and the lead ups to the Mississippi River. Not the best pictures for me but they do show active in 2021.

84F7E598-7EF3-4B49-95FA-49293DD73991.png

View attachment 165782
View attachment 165783

Willie: Even though we are in the County on the City line, it don't matter. The whole County requires burn permits as a lot of it is the Kootenai River Valley/Lake Koocanusa Valley; no wind for the most part. If we get wind, it pretty much circles in the valley's; ya get mini leaf/grass tornadoes.

Cottonwood is an excellent wood to burn in cook stove: if DRY. High heat, although it doesn't last long and lots of ash. Been using the cook stove off and on during the winter as every once-in-awhile I get a hair up and do dinner or breakfast. Don't play with it in regular wood stove though. PITA cleaning stove out every 2/3 burns. We had 15/20 65 foot Cottons and a bunch of smaller ones a few years back. Have been slowly getting them cut up and gone. Think that there are only 6 partials on the ground and nothing standing now. Have 2 chain saws and a helper so we probably will get the last of them cut up this burn cycle. Heck, with the new tractor, I can put 6/8 footers on the pile!

Oh, as a FYI: we can burn year around in a 'marked' burn ring. Metal ring, or circle of rocks, bricks .. etc. You can NOT burn in a 'burn barrel' though; except this month. Go figure. We found that out the first year here. Wife had 2 piles of used straw from the goats and chickens that she fired up; one in barrel, one not. About 1/2 hour later, here comes the FD; command vehicle, 2 or 3 utility trucks with one pumper. They found out we were new and let the stuff burn down to almost nothing while we fed them coffee, cake and my Chocolate Cream Pie. Licked the dishes almost as good as the dogs do.

Later

Well, howdy there internet people, whether you be fools or not.

It's Troy again...

Who was it that just got the laser cutter?

Seems that my Favorite 3D printer maker has a Kickstarter primed for this:

I've already asked if it's an April's Fools joke. No response.View attachment 165789
Troy: I got one a month or so ago. Have played with it a little bit and so far it does what is wanted. I do suggest that you spend the few extra dollars as with the 10W one and wood, you will need to make multiple passes on anything over 3/16". Have not played with plastic or heavy paper so I can't tell you about that. I guess that it is not a big deal all in all, just takes more time.

Later

Troy: I got one a month or so ago. Have played with it a little bit and so far it does what is wanted. I do suggest that you spend the few extra dollars as with the 10W one and wood, you will need to make multiple passes on anything over 3/16". Have not played with plastic or heavy paper so I can't tell you about that. I guess that it is not a big deal all in all, just takes more time.

Later
And I forgot. Check on the optical power from the laser diode. They seem to be muddy'n the water with these. For instance, mine has 50W listed; although that is the power going to the laser diode with a 10W optical power from the laser. In order to double the power, they stack multiple laser diodes in one housing. I am looking at a upgraded 'laser head' and PS change to accommodate the new power needed but don't know if I am gonna go there or not.

Later

We are changing internet providers with a lower price guaranteed for two years and a much faster speed.
Being the cheapskate I am, we choose the self- installation option. The new modem and cables arrived in the mail.
Being a techno idiot, I planned on today to have plenty of time to let Murphy interfere with my progress.
I opened the box and figured out which components were needed for my installation. I pulled out the TV and started untangling about 100 wires.
I actually got the old modem and cables removed without breaking anything.
I gently connected the cables and new modem per instructions and let the modem boot up. After 10 minutes, the app said the installation was complete.
Turned the TV on and started to select a program. Smart TV told me there was no internet. I double checked all connections and rebooted the wi-fi to make sure everything was functioning, still no internet. My wife re-checked the steps through the new provider's app and got a message that the provider's internet was off line, with expected service in 4 hours.
After some colorful words, I got a cup of coffee and started to shut down the TV. All of a sudden, the program I wanted to watch came on.
Checking around, I found my computer also had faster internet and we have full service. Service restored in 10 minutes after being told to expect a four hour delay means I am going to have keep an eye on the new company.
Murphy finally left the house.

Good NEWS - Bad NEWS on the homestead front.

Little dog, Charlie, decided he would eat his dinner; it's the first real - except for a few nibbles - meal for him in over a week and "bouncing" up and down the stairs like nothing happened?

Big dog, 17 YO Foxie, struggles to make it up the stairs - last night she could not get into the bed without my help. I can see that the sun is gradually setting for her days as are mine ahead.
View attachment 165758
Positive attitude, lots o f walking, your wife needs you feet,start walking :p

Good afternoon. It’s sunny and 86.
We made it to the train show, then I got taken to lunch, a trip through historic Sanford, and came back to find the son’s kitchen sink clogged and the dishwasher draining onto the floor.
3 trips to the hardware store later, the clog is unclogged and the floor mopped.
I did manage to snag an Atlas GP30 with sound and a pair of Athearn SD70Ms, and a half-dozen cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back