Running Bear's April 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon,

Off/on rain forecast for the day. Temp is 39° and wind is light, most of the snow is gone. Yesterday had a close call with 2 groups of deer standing in the road, also a large group of Turkeys with 3 toms in full display. Almost had to bump the turkeys to get them out of the way. Also, on the commute home, saw an otter cross Indian Lake near Finlayson (a nearby town). Also, for the last three days my Wife has seen several wood ducks frequent our pond - a first seeing that species at our home.

No wildlife sightings this morning.

Flo - Just coffee today, please. Thank you.

TomO - think you may have a sensitive spot, sometimes eating chips or something will push the gum down a tad and expose some nerves, it often restores itself.

Smudge - I would get rid of the doors and use the building. I had a similar engine house, the doors were busted up so I made a big square opening and framed it in with some scrap steel, I think it looked fine.

Terry - sounds like when a Pheasant flew into my windshield. I think they can fly at 70 mph. It kind of traumatized me, much less rendered the pickup truck undriveable.

Willie - The different paint schemes made the buildings appear entirely different. Nice job!

Ken DJ - I would love a piece of the peanut butter pie. We had peanut butter ice cream last week, which reminded me of drinking peanut butter malts at DQ back when I was in high school.

Karl - sad to hear about Bud. Nice to have him on your icon.

Curt - Nice layout photos you posted a couple days ago (on pg 19)

I actually got some hydrocal down before supper, mixed up one batch and got the areas in green coated.

hydrocal, 1 batch.png

So, that was one batch which was about 4 oz of water and 9 oz (volume measure) of hycrocal. I neglected to wet the towels first, which I usually do. That holds the paper towels to the screen better.

more later, Dave LASM

Afternoon All,

Spent the day in the train room. I started on the back side ground cover, did some clean up, and soldered extension wires on the 12 LED's that I need for my miner's village. I also located the 12-wire set distribution panel from Miniatronics to make it easier for that many light hookups. After that I walked Dad through moving a steamer via the TT to the main, pick-up cars, run the main and both reverse loops, then finally parking the train. In the process I discovered my rechargeable batteries are not holding a charge, so I ordered some more.

Smudge- Can you use the building for a car repair facility?

TomO- Great photos. Those are very generous gifts.

Terry- You can't catch a break.

Karl- I am very sorry for your loss.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Dave- Thank you. Great progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Enjoyed a nice lunch. The peanut butter pie was gone pretty quick.
At the cigar lounge now smoking a Rocky Patel.
Going back to the next board of supervisors meeting this afternoon for their next stab at the budget. So far, my property tax will be $600 more unless I can twist some short hairs.
My neighbor has 25 acres of wetland, unbuildable property that is assessed at $14k per acre. It should be $1k per acre but he doesn't want to go through the hassle of challenging it. Nice to have that much money to throw away.

Smudge - I would get rid of the doors and use the building. I had a similar engine house, the doors were busted up so I made a big square opening and framed it in with some scrap steel, I think it looked fine.
The guy I've bought the alternative Loco shed from is including an extra front as well as a vented roof section with his one so I could end up with two twin sheds, I originally asked if I could purchase just the vented roof section (before I realised what a screwup this one was) and not the building, we got chatting and then later I explained what had happened with the first shed and that I had ordered another one from him, next thing I know he's sent me a message saying it's in the post and he's added a few extra bits for me.

But I was thinking along the same lines as yourself and simply cut the center section out and use it as having one entrance, I may still do that as I'm not sure about the overall width of the new front, as his is designed differently, I may be able to adapt it slightly, but I'll see in a few days.

If I had a much bigger layout that could well be something I could see me doing, coz I have no flipping idea how I'm going to fit two loco sheds on this table, but I think a 16" long car repair shop would be pushing it a bit, but I do like your thinking. :)

At the moment I'm using the shed (minus half it's roof) to practice my non existent painting skills on, and in all honesty, it looks horrible. And no, before anyone ask's, I'm not posting a photo, if I did you, would have to kill me for crimes against painting, paintmenship, good taste, and being colour blind, any, and probably all, the aforementioned.. 🤣

Last edited:
At the moment I'm using the shed (minus half it's roof) to practice my non existent painting skills on, and in all honesty, it looks horrible. And no, before anyone ask's, I'm not posting a photo, if I did you, would have to kill me for crimes against painting, paintmenship, good taste, and being colour blind, any, and probably all, the aforementioned.. 🤣
You should post a picture or two so that we can make suggestions. From the pictures that you already posted, it looks like a laser-cut wood structure. If I am correct, you need to use a light coat of cheap white spray primer before doing any painting. Both sides.

You should post a picture or two so that we can make suggestions. From the pictures that you already posted, it looks like a laser-cut wood structure. If I am correct, you need to use a light coat of cheap white spray primer before doing any painting. Both sides.
Yes, it is a laser cut kit, good eye Willie I've done the primer, and started with a light brick colour with slate grey roof, but just adding light coats, I'm using this as a practice piece, I'll post a photo or two in the other thread tomorrow, please be kind😢, not.

Good evening gang!

Flo, some twisted tea please.

What a week its been so far! Monday was, well,, a Monday. Yesterday, the loss of Bud, tonight taxes!

Not all bad considering, a federal refund eaten up by payment to the state with only a net loss of $321.00.

Today is also daughters birthday, Samantha turns 35, still looks like a teenager to me!

Gotta work Saturday, son #2 and DIL coming Saturday eve.

Easter Sunday is looking like a trip to Arlington National Cemetery to visit Sharon's older brother Don's grave.

6 more puck lights to install and a total of 12 to wire, a wagon full of firewood to stack, a garden to till and plant, plus weekly lawn mowings and oh, the flower beds too! Someday I'll build that layout!!! 🙃😉

One from the Vault!
WM 1128.jpg

WM 2-10-0

A note of thanks to all of you.
Thank you for all the kind words and sentiments regarding Bud. His was loved, and he is missed, but he lives on in our hearts and minds and even though he is absent, we still feel his presence here. Again, thank you all. 🐕🦮🐕‍🦺

Afternoon All,

Spent the day in the train room. I started on the back side ground cover, did some clean up, and soldered extension wires on the 12 LED's that I need for my miner's village. I also located the 12-wire set distribution panel from Miniatronics to make it easier for that many light hookups. After that I walked Dad through moving a steamer via the TT to the main, pick-up cars, run the main and both reverse loops, then finally parking the train. In the process I discovered my rechargeable batteries are not holding a charge, so I ordered some more.

TomO- Great photos. Those are very generous gifts.

Terry- You can't catch a break.

Karl- I am very sorry for your loss.

Willie- Nice scenes.

Dave- Thank you. Great progress.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, crazy gifts. Since the kids were little we always spent equally on them. This though is unusual. I was always the big spender. Very unlike my wife to be so extravagant but the worrisome part is the cars aren’t available. Tesla is well know for making promises they are unable to keep within time frames. Personally, I can’t believe the SCC and FCC hasn’t really cracked down hard on schemes like this. I see Ford currently is promoting “built your way” but what we don’t hear about in the commercials is the 20% down payments for something that probably can’t be delivered for a year.

TomO

Be happy it wasn’t a turkey. One hit me where the rear view mirror joins the windshield. It peeled the roof open about 18” to the sky and just destroyed the windshield.

I see Ford is currently promoting “Built It Your Way” but what we don’t hear about these commercials is 20% downpayment for something that probably can’t be delivered for a year.
TomO
I’m not guessing you wanted a convertible? 😉Who does Ford think they are- Burger King? The first new car my Dad ever bought was a 1964 Mercury Comet, which he ordered thru ACE Ford in Woodbury, NJ. 260, 4 speed, triple black convertible.

Last edited:
I have a Model Power (they bought out Mantua) 4-6-2 that will run on dcc but not on straight dc. Would be glad to pay someone to take out the decoder and make it run on straight dc. Live in Columbus, GA
If it's a factory fitted decoder, you can do it yourself, unplug the decoder and fit a blanking plate, I'd suggest taking the body off first to see how the decoder is fitted first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back