Running Bear's April 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning all! Overcast and 34 heading for decreasing clouds and 50.

Not a whole lot to report here. Had a work trip yesterday that took most of the day. It was a worthwhile visit to another college with a group from ours. We were checking out their distance learning setup and it's very nice. Hoping we can get the same system.

Got a new phone yesterday. I've never had an expensive phone before. I always got a reasonably cheap one that would still do what I needed. Well, I've been adding lots of work related apps lately and my old phone just couldn't handle everything. I broke down and spent a lot on a Pixel 6 and I have to say wow, that is an amazing difference from what I'm used to.

Off to work soon. Hope you all have a great day!

Rabbit Rabbit

Well howdy there, internet peeps. And those who don't steal.

It's Troy again.

Seems social media TikTok has a problem not related to politics.

A few of its users have started a craze that affects authors. Evidently one wanted to promote a new hobby. Reading.

That's good, right?

It would be if they encouraged library card usage. Instead, they see Amazon as a library. They're encouraging others to purchase an ebook for their tablet, read it front to back, then hit return. The "reader/thief" gets a full refund.

No one loses? Right?

Wrong. Every time they download a book like that, Amazon charges the publisher a small download fee. For Indie authors like me, that's only a Nickle a book, but larger, more graphics-oriented books can be up to 50c a download. Amazon may refund the reader 100%, but they still charge the publisher/author that download fee. We don't get it back.

Knocking wood that my readers haven't been doing this... but. Imagine seeing 1,000 sales at 3.99 a pop. I could use $2,700 (after amazon takes their cut on top of the .05c download fee.)

Oops that's all gone. And, I'm out $50 for the download fees.

Now, apply that across 100s of authors...

We in the indie author community are just noticing this. Trying to get Amazon to do anything about this is a pain at best.

Since the ebooks they sell can be tracked via that app readers use - Amazon doesn't want you using a PDF reader if purchase from them. They want you in the Kindle app. Because of that, they know exactly how far each person reads. All we want is them to say... sorry, you read X amount over the refund point, your refund is pro-rated. Or, you've returned three books already, you're now locked from refunds.

Ugh... some people...

Rabbit, Rabbit... Hoping for a month with better news...

Morning all,

Into the office later than I wanted. Got caught by a train at the first crossing, 4 engine lead, with 4 engines in the middle and 4 in the rear. Took 10 minutes to clear the crossing. I then have to cross the tracks again closer to work, but there are 2 tracks, one you cross an overpass, and then a grade crossing 50ft later. The cross lights started as I approached the grade crossing. He then took 15 minutes to cross the second intersection. I figure he slowed down through the little town I avoid on my way to work. There is a triangle between the track and the 2 roads I travel. Train runs the long leg, which is shorter than the 2 legs I need to run with a stop sign at the junction of the shorter legs. I was about 10 cars behind the lead engines at first crossing, so I know his approximate speed as the this a mile area I run parallel to the tracks. So much for being to work early...

Not much going on, I do have a real interview on Monday afternoon. While not actively looking, my online resume is is getting some attention. Had several asks about working in the Plano Texas area. Sorry not moving, not after the Missouri move nearly 10 years ago.

Today's average citizen doesn't really care if they cause someone else a loss. Some folks would do it with that intent, ust because they can. It's their power over someone else.
Seems like a very negative attitude towards our society in general. There are bad apples, for sure. The Hitler's don't exceed the number of very good people, though. - Time to happy up! Go for a walk in the forest, and breathe in the goodness.

We all suffer sometimes. It's part of being alive. But, I think Mel operates the happy place that can take us back into the joy of our hobby.

Think I'll go walk the dog. I find peace out there.

Good Morning All. Clear and 42° on this April Fool's Day. We may be past the heater season here, highs in the 70's and 80's for the next ten days. Chance for rain Monday is 95%. That would be good as my plan for Saturday and Sunday is for planting many tomato and pepper plants. If time permits, I will also be planting a row of green beans and some squash.

Another uneventful day at the grocery store yesterday. Seems to be back to normal here, no outages, things on shelves instead of in carts blocking the aisles, and most of the employees had ditched their masks. Afterwards, we stopped by Sam's Club to order my new eyeglasses. I picked out the frames this time instead of my wife. Old ones were just a bit too thick and obscured my modeling vision.

As always, thanks to all who commented on or reacted to my progress posts yesterday; Troy, Sherrel, Guy, Smudge, Rod Stewart, Hughie, Dave B, James, Mikey, Rick, Louis, Tom, Curt, IB Ken, Tom O, George, Joe, Patrick, OB Ken. Y'alls support is always appreciated.

I made some modest progress out in the train shed yesterday with the bungalow build. It's almost completed.
IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG

So what's actually left to do. I do need to add the handrails to the front steps and add the downspouts to the structure. But wait! Wather's has provided four downspouts as seen here.
IMG_0620.JPG

But they only provided mounting holes in the front end of the sidewalls!o_O
IMG_0619.JPG

It's as easy to fix as it was for the mold maker to overlook.. Or I may use them on the front porch instead
There is a whole sheet of window treatments and curtains to choose from that I will be using, although since I plan on lighting this structure, some will be trimmed.

Steve J - Like others, I was able to use the video links. Nice to be able to run trains isn't it? Ken (D&J) offered a good pointer regarding making movies.
James - That is great that you might reconnect with Jerome. He kinda left us hanging after building the train room and laying all of that track. I actually hope that he is just taking a break and not something worse.
Dave B - I have a few areas where I have crammed some buildings quite close to one another. After switching industries, structure building is my favorite aspect of this hobby.
Ground cover is an amazing cosmetic, isn't it?
Curt - The switch tower build is turning out very well.
Tom O - I like the pictures of San Antonio. It is my favorite big city here in Texas, and we have a lot to choose from.
Troy - Glad that the plans for the MIL seem to be working out in the family's favor.
IB Ken - That is a good plan for your track cleaning project. I am unable to do that because all of my rolling stock boxes are packed in old printer paper boxes and are in the train shed attic! Thankfully , the train shed is relatively dust-free and deep cleaning is not necessary.
Lucky you on the weather.

Everyone have a safe and fruitful day. Grilled Salmon tonight on the SFW estate.

Good Morning All. Clear and 42° on this April Fool's Day. We may be past the heater season here, highs in the 70's and 80's for the next ten days. Chance for rain Monday is 95%. That would be good as my plan for Saturday and Sunday is for planting many tomato and pepper plants. If time permits, I will also be planting a row of green beans and some squash.

Another uneventful day at the grocery store yesterday. Seems to be back to normal here, no outages, things on shelves instead of in carts blocking the aisles, and most of the employees had ditched their masks. Afterwards, we stopped by Sam's Club to order my new eyeglasses. I picked out the frames this time instead of my wife. Old ones were just a bit too thick and obscured my modeling vision.

As always, thanks to all who commented on or reacted to my progress posts yesterday; Troy, Sherrel, Guy, Smudge, Rod Stewart, Hughie, Dave B, James, Mikey, Rick, Louis, Tom, Curt, IB Ken, Tom O, George, Joe, Patrick, OB Ken. Y'alls support is always appreciated.

I made some modest progress out in the train shed yesterday with the bungalow build. It's almost completed.
View attachment 143899
View attachment 143900View attachment 143901
So what's actually left to do. I do need to add the handrails to the front steps and add the downspouts to the structure. But wait! Wather's has provided four downspouts as seen here.
View attachment 143902
But they only provided mounting holes in the front end of the sidewalls!o_O
View attachment 143903
It's as easy to fix as it was for the mold maker to overlook.. Or I may use them on the front porch instead
There is a whole sheet of window treatments and curtains to choose from that I will be using, although since I plan on lighting this structure, some will be trimmed.

Steve J - Like others, I was able to use the video links. Nice to be able to run trains isn't it? Ken (D&J) offered a good pointer regarding making movies.
James - That is great that you might reconnect with Jerome. He kinda left us hanging after building the train room and laying all of that track. I actually hope that he is just taking a break and not something worse.
Dave B - I have a few areas where I have crammed some buildings quite close to one another. After switching industries, structure building is my favorite aspect of this hobby.
Ground cover is an amazing cosmetic, isn't it?
Curt - The switch tower build is turning out very well.
Tom O - I like the pictures of San Antonio. It is my favorite big city here in Texas, and we have a lot to choose from.
Troy - Glad that the plans for the MIL seem to be working out in the family's favor.
IB Ken - That is a good plan for your track cleaning project. I am unable to do that because all of my rolling stock boxes are packed in old printer paper boxes and are in the train shed attic! Thankfully , the train shed is relatively dust-free and deep cleaning is not necessary.
Lucky you on the weather.

Everyone have a safe and fruitful day. Grilled Salmon tonight on the SFW estate.
Willie _ I have known Jerome for a very long time. I can only hope all is well with him and his wife. Before he dropped off the radar he was under a lot stress with work, life and projects etc. I think he was being pulled in a lot of different directions. There may have been some turmoil on the home front of sorts I do not know for sure as that is purely speculation. I know he sold his Honda Goldwing and all of the riding equipment at that time as well as I am not sure of the reason. He loved to ride and would go on long trips to various places in the summer months etc. Through the years we have always emailed, text and called each other and talked. I even went to visit him in NC where we hung out at Spencer NC at the Transportation Museum there. I think Terry was there too with us too if I recall right. Anyhow we had a great time. As for his status I can only hope for the best. We have both taken "breaks" before in the past but never have I not answered or not reply for responses etc. Life can definitely throw a curve ball at you for sure. I will soon find out what happened. I have a lot of his works and Mark's works (MGWSY) before he past away. Jerome and Mark did a lot of projects together and I was fortunate enough to be involved and obtain as well as purchased their works. I am incredibly lucky and honored to have some of their work. I have never seen anyone that did as well as these two did in the MRR hobby. Great stuff for sure! I will share an update when the time comes...provided I am given his permission, he may want to stay discreet etc. We shall see.

Good Morning!
I'm going to take a moment and express my joy at receiving a package that I paid way to much for:
TankCar_03-31-2022 (1) .jpg

As far as I can remember, this is the first time I have a smile on my face for getting taken to the cleaners. These are really quite nice railcars.
I got one of these:
TankCar_03-31-2022 (2).jpg

Plus two different road numbers of these. RPX 2332 and 2382.
TankCar_03-31-2022 (3).jpg

Those cars make my Life-Like Texaco tankcar look like a kindergarden toy; which I suppose it is.

Plus, I pushed the button on ordering my first steam engine. A Bachmann 'Prairie 2-6-2'. Bought that for the G-kids to have fun with. I'm not sure if it's much of an engine. It should be here on Monday, and I will post a photo. - I like getting tax return money.

Tomorrow should be the last day of working for the wife, I hope. That's when final coat of paint goes on. Hope she's happy for awhile so I can do some train hobby stuff.

Have a wonderful day, everyone! This is a good one!

Good afternoon,

38° and sunny, supposed to reach 47° but at this rate I would be surprised.

April fools day? I didn't get it until I saw the above post (Jazz Dad) which made me think... There were two pans of goodies, one with supposed brownies had "brown E's" cut out brown construction paper E's in there. Also a box labelled Donuts with fresh vegetables in it.

I needed that this morning, felt off as Wife was up super early, my routine was thrown (gets harder with age), then left my cell phone at home. Not her fault, don't think I am blaming her, but my brain is a quarter turn (maybe half a turn) off today.

Above:

Ken D& J - hope the train show goes well

Troy - I only read real books, the ones printed on paper. No one shorted there. Currently reading "the Pioneers" by Fenimore Cooper, written back in 1800's I love it. The copy I have printed in early 1900's.

Willie - the bungalow looks like a nice kit. Maybe it is extra downspouts because there was room on the sprue? Nice looking bldg!

Patrick - bummer on the train crossings. I have a major BNSF crossing, however rarely stopped by it.

Guy - Nice day for a walk, mine comes closer to sundown

Terry, James, Bigfoot and Moermusic, Ken in Illinois, did I miss anyone? - Top of the Afternoon to you

Todays photo from archives, the Sawmill showing powerlines , a crows view

amill 003.JPG

May not be back today but plan on reporting in tomorrow some time

Dave LASM

Yo! How ya doin'? I'm doin OK. 57°, breezy and mostly cloudy. Last nights predicted deluge rain resulted in a rainfall of 0.07". It feels damp and chilly.
Guy: That's got to be the Canadian price, right? In any event, they look nice. Thinking out loud, there should be someone in the North Country that's the equivalent to some of our discounters?
James: Now that you mention it, Jerome was active here for a while, then suddenly disappeared.
Willie: Nice Progress...reminds me of a traditional Jersey bungalow. Atlas used to offer something similar.
Ken: That's a lot of track cleaning power to deploy at once. Guess that's what it takes.

On the train front, I am almost finished with the escape crossover connecting the PRR main with the Reading Main. Have to solder the rail joint between the two switches, and connect the feeder wires. Once this is done, the Reading Main will be complete, end to end.

B&O 468807 PS1 XM Boxcar04_01_2022.jpeg

Today's new addition to the fleet. Supposed to be a PS-1 originally delivered to the Ann Arbor RR in Michigan in 1957, and bought by the B&O in 1968. Some debate among B&OHS members as to whether the 50 ton Rice Control trucks are appropriate, but who really cares? From my experience, Ride Control trucks are a bit more difficult to assemble / disassemble than other standard bearing trucks. Otherwise, they hold up well.

Tomorrow afternoon, NCAA Men's Final Four, followed by the Final on Monday. Go Nova!

Oy vey... what a day...

So far, nothing new in the book situation. That will take a while to play out.

But learned that my 80yo mother has developed congestive heart failure.

Unfortunately, she was on high doses of BP meds before this. Adding meds to that puts her into a loopy state. Her primary care doc detected a high heart rate a week ago and added another BP med to bring the heart rate down. She was supposed to go back on Monday next week for a follow-up. We were hoping to get her off the meds since we know how loopy she gets (brain fog, not always aware of her surroundings)

The staff at her Sr Apartments noticed she was off mentally, and fearing a stroke, they called the medics.

Good thing, though it wasn't a stroke. The hospital said CHF. Did an MRI of her head looking for blood clots. Haven't heard back yet on that.

So, we get one mother stable, then the other one goes haywire.

I love my kindle! I also love real books. The kindle makes research easy. No need to go back and forth to the book shelves or return the books when I'm finished. I can use my latest kindle as a laptop. It works great with Microsoft office.

Troy I'm sorry to hear about your Mom.
I hoping your readers are not the scamming type.

Afternoon All,

I helped out closing down the book fair today and mounting the tower on the layout including hooking it up electrically. Tomorrow Dad and I are going to go to my buddy Tom's and Greg (another friend) has my new TT so I will need to pay him for it (40% off). Since the pit is the same on all of them, I plan on dropping the old pit bottom (electronics) and screw the new one on, change out the controller and bridge, that will probably happen Sunday.

Thank you for the photo likes yesterday.

Terry- You and Marie just can't catch a break. Continued prayers for you both.

Troy- That s***s, but I can't say I'm surprised. It's just another sign of lawlessness in our society. Sorry to hear about your Mom.

Willie- Thank you. Are you going to paint the bungalow?

Guy- Nice tank cars. Are you working on the layout Sunday?

Dave- Nice layout shot.

Joe- It looks like an Eastern Ohio house also. Nice looking B&O box.

layout18.jpg

layout19.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back