Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Johnny , boB is right, we don't need no stinking layout! ;)

Seriously modules can be your best friend here. I've be running modules for years. Some have been with me for 3 moves. Currently all I have set up is 1 set making a 16 ft run with switching. The module frames for a complete 2o ft loop are stowed in the shed for now. Hopefully by next fall they will all be in the house. There is also half a hack of 1x3s in the basement, staying dry. In the meantime, I get a good but of modeling sone, so when I get the green light, I can roll.
In the meantime, stick around, you may have some ideas for us, and we may have some for you! 🤔:)

I'm trying to recall, one of the famous model railroader that is often featured in magazines has built a new layout and it's all sectional. Instead of being a huge free flowing basement filler, it's laid out in neat rows, in a back and forth design. Totally built, from the ground up, to be dis-assembled and moved if needed.

Anyone recall who that was and what the layout is?

Isn't David Barrows Cat Mountain modular??

Alan: Your COSF is fantastic. The first two cars are beautiful. Looking forward to the rest.

Louis; Canton RR in O, I presume? Fantastic.

Bob: Nice work earlier today. ;)

Karl: What are you waiting for?

CR 7612 doubling out of the Heavy Side at Allentown 11-1976 - D. Bednar.jpg

Doubling out on the Heavy Side, Allentown, PA November 1976. Photo by Danny Bednar. I worked with Danny at Browns Yard for quite a while. I also worked with his brother Mike, who was a Train Dispatcher at Elizabethport NJ. Both brothers are accomplished photographers, and Railfan Authors.

Good evening gang!

Got the decoders in both the brass chassis today, still have lighting to do, but hey, they are running! Currently I'm sitting here and in the distance I hear some Caterpillar diesels idling away from the 65 tonner. Of course, this involved setting up my Locprogrammer, watching a bunch of Matt Herman's LocSound tutorials, then finally doing it. It sounds great! It is a LocSound Select decoder, not much to mess up. I think the next one I do may be a V5 decoder, much more customizable.

BBob, Boris, Willie and everyone else who liked the loco pics from yesterday thanks much!

Alan, Those passenger cars look great!

Boris. I was waiting until SWMBO has decided if she would like us to move. See when we got married 6 months ago She was not feeling comfortable living in the same house that the red-headed-she-devil had lived for 8 years with me. ( it's a woman thing) But now the house has been redecorated,( bad juju purged) she's met the neighbors, and now the market is crap, she's had a change of heart. We're going to stay here, and add onto the house, I'll be waiting til fall when the plan for expansion are final.
BTW, 4 Alcos for 8 cars? Seems about right. 😉 😄

Later gators!

Last edited:
Louis, I had to save this pic, you see, I have an SW1500 languishing in the dead line, begging to shed its coat of Cascade green and white, and it would make a great running mate to me Canton 1301....someday.
Karl, I've seen your work you have posted, a fine looking locomotive it will be!

I often see the real one crossing Dundalk Ave and or Eastern Ave pulling center-beam flat cars loaded with lumber to Weyerhaeuser on Rolling Mill road and later making return trips with empties.

Louis; Canton RR in O, I presume? Fantastic.
O scale it is Boris, thank you. I've been looking for one of these for about 8 years! I missed the first run and MTH finally did another late last year. The advantage of being a second tier manufacture is MTH can and does do small runs.

I even tried to pay Karl to paint one of my old Lionel GP 20s in Canton colors for me, but he was/is too busy to keep up with his own work.

I'm so happy to have this SW 1500 on it's way! I'm waiting for a sale to pre-order 4 Lionel Trailer Train Standard O Centerbeam flats cars #s 83729, 83741, 83754 & 83754 to run along with it. Like the real train I often see. Now all I need is to get my layout started!
1588039616969.png

Guy, I just post them as I find them. Many of the photos I find trickle in from Facebook. Why would anyone become infatuated with a button?

Garry, thank you for your kind words. I miss those days when many people dressed nice. I remember even at Baltimore Colts games many people would be wearing ties, hats and nice long jackets. Now football games have more clowns in attendance than respectable people. I think the trend began in the late 60s & 70s and has only been getting worse.

ShermanHill, thank you.

Mike, I have no idea what "Unca" means. :) Beating someone down settles nothing and only proves I can beat you down. That only makes me look stupid. Bullying is never the answer.

Louis- it’s a reference from the film Indian Summer(Alan Arkin, Matt Craven & Mrs Brad Paisley) about a Canadian summer camp in danger of closing.?

Good evening, everybody ....

Johnny ..... If I were you, I would not try to do a move too fast, Best wishes to you and Dena. Please continue posting here regularly.

I'm trying to recall, one of the famous model railroader that is often featured in magazines has built a new layout and it's all sectional. Instead of being a huge free flowing basement filler, it's laid out in neat rows, in a back and forth design. Totally built, from the ground up, to be dis-assembled and moved if needed.

Anyone recall who that was and what the layout is?

Isn't David Barrows Cat Mountain modular??

Bob and Karl ..... Yes it was David barrows, and his layout was a from of sectional construction called domino . In fact, I carefully studied his method as I designed my current layout.

I have had to destroy previous layouts upon moving before. I did not want to do that again. I decided to build a layout that could be moved. It is not portable like some modular layouts. However, if necessary, it can be moved. My layout is around the wall, and it is a series of tables end-to-end. If I had to move, i would need to cut through track, wires, and scenery at each joint. Then, I could unbolt the sections. Some of the layout has two levels. You will notice in these pictures I normally install backdrops on the walls before installing the layout sections.

Over the years, my layout has grown, and now it follows 130' of walls. Moving would be a big taks, but it could be done. A problem would be fining a room to move it to.

35590250312_46e79116b1_b.jpg

35590249782_5a1bc166fd_b.jpg

35590249282_596517ebd3_b.jpg

36766252655_549200d3de_b.jpg

36766253025_d9f24ec3f1_b.jpg

The last photo shows I sketched a rough track plan on brown paper on the floor. The paper can easily be removed later. Also, in the last photo you can see the track caddy I made from PVC pipes with a wood base and wheels.

Some of the layout has two levels.

Last edited:
Good evening, everybody ....

Johnny ..... If I were you, I would not try to do a move too fast, Best wishes to you and Dena. Please continue posting here regularly.

Bob and Karl ..... Yes it was David barrows, and his layout was a from of sectional construction called domino . In fact, I carefully studied his method as I designed my current layout.

I have had to destroy previous layouts upon moving before. I did not want to do that again. I decided to build a layout that could be moved. It is not portable like some modular layouts. However, if necessary, it can be moved. My layout is around the wall, and it is a series of tables end-to-end. If I had to move, i would need to cut through track, wires, and scenery at each joint. Then, I could unbolt the sections. Some of the layout has two levels. You will notice in these pictures I normally install backdrops on the walls before installing the layout sections.

Over the years, my layout has grown, and now it follows 130' of walls. Moving would be a big taks, but it could be done. A problem would be fining a room to move it to.

35590250312_46e79116b1_b.jpg

35590249782_5a1bc166fd_b.jpg

35590249282_596517ebd3_b.jpg

36766252655_549200d3de_b.jpg

36766253025_d9f24ec3f1_b.jpg

The last photo shows I sketched a rough track plan on brown paper on the floor. The paper can easily be removed later. Also, in the last photo you can see the track caddy I made from PVC pipes with a wood base and wheels.

Some of the layout has two levels.
Great stuff Garry, thank you for sharing that!

Anyone on here collect belt buckles or know a place to help determine the value of one? I've got a belt buckle that I got in 1982 when I worked for AMAX Coal Co. and was curious as to whether it might have any real value. It's a limited run of 3000 buckles but I have no idea where to start to get info.

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

Bob, I have no first hand knowledge of belt buckles, but one of the the first things I do when researching values is to check eBay.

I wish you well!

Good morning America, how are ya? Got to make a grocery run to Walmart in a little bit, so this won't be to long. It's 54 and cloudy with a 60% chance of rain for a couple of hours, then partly cloudy with a high of 75. We''l see what we get from Walmart this time, last time we did really well with only a couple of substitutions, and they were all OK. So far, we've had a overall good experience with their shopping system. I know my wife and I are extremely grateful for the ability to use it. Capt. Trips has taken and ruined far too many lives already. In the grand scheme of things, we can't complain, though, we have only been inconvenienced so far.

Garry-That looks like a fantastic job! Very nice! And..............it's CB&Q to boot!!! :cool:

Louis-I guess that's one way to go about it. I was hoping that maybe someone would know of a website or other source of info.

Gotta run, our order is ready to pick up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back