Running Bear's April 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning Everybody!

One of those nights, last night when pain becomes a deterrent to sleep, but It's good to be alive. :)

On the bright side, normally I would have been in bed. Instead, last night I was window shopping when I found the Canton RR SW1500 and that distracted me from the pain. I spent another few hours learning about MTH's proto sound 3.0 and their DCS command system. It just goes to show there can be good in everything.

I'm fortunate, I don't have to go anywhere or do anything. I have the luxury of being able to distract myself with my toys and I can afford to buy the toys I want.

Last night I also bought (3) $200 Lionel Store gift cards at a 20% discount! I already made a list of what I want to buy next.

There goes not buying anything until I get my stuff sorted out! I'm a hopeless toy train junkie.

My Name is Louis and I am addicted to toy trains.

Good morning America, how are ya? Got to make a grocery run to Walmart in a little bit, so this won't be to long. It's 54 and cloudy with a 60% chance of rain for a couple of hours, then partly cloudy with a high of 75. We''l see what we get from Walmart this time, last time we did really well with only a couple of substitutions, and they were all OK. So far, we've had a overall good experience with their shopping system. I know my wife and I are extremely grateful for the ability to use it. Capt. Trips has taken and ruined far too many lives already. In the grand scheme of things, we can't complain, though, we have only been inconvenienced so far.

Louis-I guess that's one way to go about it. I was hoping that maybe someone would know of a website or other source of info.

Gotta run, our order is ready to pick up!
Sorry Bob, that's the best I can do, but don't be surprised by what others might suggest. There is a deep pool of knowledge here.

Smart move going to Walmart early in the morning. It's a different place after the late-risers show up. All in all I like Walmart, especially for the one-stop shopping.

Pulling some westbound hoppers at Dolton, Illinois on April 1st, 1974. Kim Piersol photo.
1588074582258.png

Morning all,

Expecting storms this afternoon, currently 57* and sunny.

Nothing on the layout last night. Wife is on schedule to start back to work next week. She's had 5 weeks vacation (Paid fortunately) and is ready to do something else.

Johnny: espeefan is correct in telling you the agent will ask the RR to be taken down. When I was getting ready to move to Springfield in 2012 that's the first thing the real estate agent pointed out that had to go. Then it sat and got moved to Missouri and back and stayed in storage another 3 years before I restarted my layout in the past 3-4 years. Some here would say I barely have a layout... :p That said stop by as often as you can.

Good Morning one and all. Mostly cloudy and 66°. Had a thunderstorm pass over around 0400 but no rain, it intensified after moving south and appears, according to the radar, to be quite heavy about 75 miles away. I wish it would have at least left a little moisture here. Headed for the high 80's today after reaching 83° yesterday, with winds in the 20 mph+ range until sunset.
Spent part of yesterday morning mowing the front (east) part of the yard. Today I move to the south side. Grass is growing profusely even without any rain. South side is especially lush because of the septic system and lateral lines. Spent another hour shredding up tree branches and other scrub to eventually use as mulch. I like my shredder, got to use my hearing and eye protection though.

How about a big breakfast burrito this morning Flo. Make mine with steak, fried potatoes, egg and cheese. Plenty of salsa on the side.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the railroading activities; Louis, Chet, Karl, Guy, Patrick, Steven, Garry, Sherrel, Jerome, Bob, Joe, Paul, Dave, Curt, Tom, James.

I made a more lengthy visit to the train shed yesterday afternoon and got a bit accomplished. Ballasted the end of he spur track and painted the parking area around Velikovsky's.
04-28-20 013.JPG

Working on a 2D backdrop building to go on the wall.
04-28-20 012.JPG

This is one of those structures that fellow forum member Tomkat posted about eight years ago. Yesterday I glued it to some cardboard. Today I will mount it.
Also on the workbench, I added signs and figures to the Merchant's Row I structure that I posted earlier this month. I didn't get as many interiors in as I want because I haven't had the time to find them. On the list though!
04-28-20 010.JPG

04-28-20 009.JPG

Cut Rate Liquors has a seniors discount.
04-28-20 008.JPG

Bush Bob's Bazaar specializes in Indian artifacts.
04-28-20 007.JPG

That's Helen berating her husband Hal for ogling the two ladies waiting to cross the street!

Joe - Continue to stay safe. I can remember replacing Kadee coupler springs without "eye-aid". Those were the days!
Patrick - While I am happy that you can get additional $$$, I think that it is a flaw in the stimulus bill that was passed. Sorry to read about the peaches. A plague of grasshoppers stripped my peach trees of all leaves/bark, and they all died a few years back and I haven't had the will to replant only to see it happen again.
07-21-10 004.JPG

Not the peach tree but representative of the infestation.
07-21-10 003.JPG

Louis - Hope that you are feeling better soon. BTW, I agree with Guy (McLeod) that your posts would be easier to digest if they were consolidated a bit. Don't let my comment be discouraging though.
Alan - Even though I don't do passenger equipment, I think that your cars have been coming out great.
Bob (admin) - I agree that the modeler was Dave Barrow. His Cat Mountain & Santa Fe was quite a minimalist effort.
Garry - Great pictorial.

Speaking of WalMart, I know that they work for some people, especially the grocery pickup, but I hate going there. Around here I am as much afraid of the employees as I am of the customers!

Everybody have a great day.

Louis: Wonder how that curve would be in HO or O?

Those center beams will look great behind the Canton W 1500...You are beginning to become a Prototype Modeler ;)

Boris it looks even tighter than O27! I could not even begin to guess. I should be asking you, you would have a much better idea than me.

Prototypical?! Blasphemy! :) Three rails, and no real engine/motors. No need to for me to worry about Prototype. I just like what I like.

Years ago I had a Life-Like HO Chessie/B&O GP38 pulling Life-Like 100 ton Chessie/B&O coal cars under my Christmas tree on Tyco track. That's about as prototypical as I get. I even recreated that train several years ago with a Bachmann DCC Chessie/B&O locomotive and Life-Like cars with steel wheels and Life-Like scene master knuckle couplers running on Bachmann E-Z Track Not to be prototypical, that stuff just runs better!

I enjoy recreating trains I've seen in person and still remember. Like my Lionel Vision Line Amtrak GG1 and Amtrak passenger cars.

I only wish I had paid more attention when I was young. The Amtrak GG1 train was unforgettable seeing it fly past up close. Climbing on those 100 ton hoppers as a coal sampler was fun and unforgettable.

The rest from years ago, I just can't remember accurately.

Last edited:
Thank you Willie, I'm feeling better already. I think a little more physical activity is all I need.

I'll try to piece more of them together, especially when I post back to back.

When I first came on the forum if I walked away from my desk and the screen saver came on I would often lose what I had not yet posted. That is no longer the case (thank you Bob!) I'll try to consolidate them together more cohesively.

Prototypical?! Blasphemy! :)

I enjoy recreating trains I've seen in person and still remember.

Incompatible statements! My first attempt at modeling the Chester Branch was back in the 1950s, when I received a Marx Union Pacific ALCO S-1 switcher and a set of Lionel 0-27 switches. A cardboard box sufficed as an industrial building. Nothing could be less accurate than Marx Trains, but they allowed the illusion that I was doing what the Reading crew was doing.

A good, blue sky morning to everyone! It's 37F here, with a promise of sunshine for all day and a high of 60. It's going to be a wonderful day. I'm so rested and happy that I believe I'll stay for a hearty toasted steak n egg along with about three coffee's.
Last night I was just too tired and broken down to even post anything. Digging out stumps is no fun at all. There is still one more to go, and it's the biggest one.

B Burlington - I don't know a lot about belt buckles, but, it would likely be worth something if Elvis ever wore it. As it is, I have a couple of buckles from work places as well, and I believe mine are just paper weights.

Louis - I was just curious, so I asked the question. No big deal; carry on, sir!

Garry - Wonderful workmanship on the benchwork. It really looks sweet. Thanks for posting; I'm going to be building similar within the coming month.

Willie - I do love you're modeled street scenes. The signage is superb. I feel like asking Spock to transport me into the scene, as it looks like a happier place than where I'm at right now.

Well, I'm plumb out of photos to post here, and with the work and garden blocking the way, I don't expect to continue modeling for awhile. Not until the garden is in, anyway. Plus, I have a fence to put up, fences to repair, a deck and planters to build for clients. So, modeling will become a rainy day adventure, for now. I won't be posting everyday for awhile; just don't like posting without photos. Activities will be limited to pushing the like button.
I will be reposting my prototype photos in the railroad forum, though. Actually, it will be nice to have them all in one spot.

So, I'll leave the shop for now. But, I have to post some photos, or I wouldn't be me. Some of this car is re-runs, some is not. I just like the car; its been sitting there all winter doing nothing, and its older than me.
CN 80335_1.jpg

CN 80335_2.jpg

CN 80335_3.jpg

CN 80335_4.jpg

Everyone have a great day! See you soon.
Guy

Incompatible statements! My first attempt at modeling the Chester Branch was back in the 1950s, when I received a Marx Union Pacific ALCO S-1 switcher and a set of Lionel 0-27 switches. A cardboard box sufficed as an industrial building. Nothing could be less accurate than Marx Trains, but they allowed the illusion that I was doing what the Reading crew was doing.
Would you expect anything less :)

That first attempt of yours sums up my feelings, all it has to do is please me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back