Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's interesting! It seems that Pittsburgh has a main break every week. Do those patches hold up well?
The patches hold up real good. Pittsburgh may have ductile iron pipe and there were different grades. The cheaper pipe saved money but you pay later with breaks. 95% of our water lines is AC pipe some ductile iron (high grade) and plastic. Whats nice about the AC is it breaks as a diameter crack where plastic breaks lengthwise which is usually cutting out a section to repair.

It's amazing how a few very small things kick up the appearance isn't it? Wheel color depends on the era. If you're on the more modern side with roller bearings, you're right, rust is what you need. I'm in the friction bearing era where the journal boxes were filled with cotton waste and soaked with oil to keep the bearings lubed. The seals were primitive (rawhide or even just a block of wood) and usually leaked all over everything, especially the wheel faces. That's why I use the black.
Alan-Thanks for the explanation about the journal box colors. I had forgotten about the leaky friction boxes turning everything dirty black.
I learn something every time I read thru this forum.

I survived another Alabama - Auburn football game without a heart attack. It was a very exciting game with lots of back and forth scoring.
I got home from my shift at the McWane train show in time to see the start of the game. Things went relatively easy and I had time to take a few (dozen) photos I will burden you with in the near future.
Here is a coal loader unloading a coal barge on the HO scale Locust Grove & Western (LG&W) club layout.

Attachments

• H 045a.JPG
    H 045a.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 142
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back