Running Bear’s June 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s some pics this Early Spring of my O scale layout I finally finished covering one section and got the other one done as well. Now for the buildings. Stay cool today.
737A3C66-94D2-4E72-A466-A3AC37397C18.jpeg
8D65F1D4-07CB-497A-867A-6D5A785F9E3A.jpeg
0EA07B98-17C8-462F-B848-7CFBAF49D7E5.jpeg
3D030F72-307E-4FB2-8237-46B57BB63E55.jpeg
213C18C4-DC6C-42E8-B0B3-49F4EA1D3AC9.jpeg
B5BF8303-3F6D-4BAA-94BB-AB238464DC91.jpeg
D3AD0B7E-FD3A-403D-B0C8-269D7D88B0CF.jpeg
789488A5-4F33-4A6C-AAA2-18DC774DA3F2.jpeg

Tom (Cambria) ...... The covered hopper has some good details.
It's an older Atlas I picked up for $10 each at a show before the sh$t hit the fan. Just by painting a few molded details changes the whole look of the car. Weathering highlights other details in the trucks for example. I've taken Atlas Trainman $20 cars and add a few wire grabs and paint some detail and it makes it look a whole lot different.

Good morning....Coffee Flo,please. A sticky 66 and humid, the type you wear after being out for 5 minutes.
Thanks for the likes on the hoppers, more to come, decals should be here today.

Well, howdy there internet MRR people.
It's Troy again.

Welp, this was an eventful week.

Wednesday, wife is working away (she works from home) and gets a call from her 80+ mother. "I think I'm having a stroke, but I don't want an ambulance..."

Wife talks with her long enough to figure it's either very early, or a ministroke. Emails the boss about a family medical emergency and runs down 40 min drive to take her mom to the ER. She's doing fine by then, no symptoms.

Several hours later, Docs rule out regular strong, and say it was a mini-stroke. There is a history of stroke on both sides of MIL's family.

MIL is already a "Fagile" diabetic, with a pump. The girls take turns calling her each evening just to make sure her blood sugar hasn't bottomed out. Quite often they have to command her to go get her sugar syrup stuff out of the fridge, or eat some candy, then have her take another reading.

And, we're a one car family - a carry over from living in Los Angeles where we had almost everything within walking/train ride distance. So it was weird knowing I didn't have a vehicle to go run to target or the hardware as needed. Distances are a bit more spread out in the midwest. ;)

As for hobby, I finished up basing my American Civil War 12.5mm figures. Taking a break from them to work on Napoleonics in 28mm for a while.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 7.39.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 9.52.25 PM.png

Wife and sister are driving off to see SIL's great grandbaby's 1yo Bday party today. They'll be taking their mom along. And I get the car since SIL is driving.

So I've got all day to paint.

And to get a donut.

A donut sounds good. ;)

what diet?

Good Morning All. Clear and 69°. Today is Juneteenth, our newest national holiday. It's been a state holiday in Texas since 1980.
There's a 1% chance of rain today. Still have that 60% chance of thundershowers on Monday afternoon. Meanwhile I am watering the garden this morning. There is evidence in the garden that I have some tomato hornworms, but the only one that I could locate had parasitic wasp larvae attached to it, so it will host those predators instead of getting squished.
A normal specimen.
1624100182234.png

The one that I found.
IMG_6631.JPG

Big ol' ugly things but they can be easily removed and squeezed to eliminate. Left unchecked, they can be devastating.
I have tomatoes everywhere, but they are taking their time turning red.
I posted about delivery drivers yesterday. Last evening, Amazon delivered a package and just left it in the yard!!! It was midway between the two different doors and about 30' from either.
This morning I have to replace a bushing/bearing on the tractor. It's an issue that plagues these Craftsman garden tractors. No amount of grease seems to be able to prevent them from wearing down. Then I can get back to mowing/chopping grasshoppers. Strange thing about grasshoppers, they don't really seem to eat grass, but would rather eat tree leaves and certain garden plants. They don't like weeds either.

Just an apple fritter and glass of OJ today Flo. Got to make it quick.

Thanks for the likes and positive comments regarding the layout pictures lately; Justin, Tom O, Guy, Sherrel, Patrick, Karl, Lee, Chad, Chet, Ken, Tom, Hughie, Garry, Gary, Rick.

I got to work on the latest layout project yesterday. I painted the track and ground, but the picture barely shows it.
IMG_6625.JPG

I made a tentative set-up of the structures to ascertain that they would all fit as planned.
IMG_6626.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

It's not a real photogenic spot, is it?

Lee - It's great to see you posting again. I always enjoyed your pictures.
Guy - I've been counting railcars at railroad crossings since the 50's. It's too bad that I didn't have a digital camera back when there was a bit more variety going by. Now every engine pretty much looks the same. On the Santa Fe in the 70's to early 90's, I might see F45's, CF7's, GP's, SD's, and GE U-boats.
Chet - More outstanding pictures from the club.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie. I’m very familiar with those Tomato Worms haven’t had any problems with them yet I’m now just getting Tomatoes on my Early Girl plants it’s been a weird year for my garden the ground stayed cold for the longest time and nothing grew right. I haven’t even planted my Cucumbers or Beans. I just have lost interest in it this year after my early spring failed attempt to get it out. Think I’ll play with my trains this summer instead and just raise the tomatoes and zucchini squash I have out. Your Feed Store looks awesome reminds me of the one we had in the next town over and it was a Wayne feeds also my dad would always by fresh eggs from there I always loved the smell of the inside of the store. Here’s a pic of my Early Girl
4F3041D6-F30E-4876-9B81-5285C4A6C7EE.jpeg

Good morning from a very confused Tom in So. Central Wisconsin. Around 4 I swear I woke up to the sound of rain hitting the deck outside my bedroom. Got up at 7:15 and asked Terry if she heard the rain. I knew something was up when she said when? Out to the south deck, out to the front deck and there is no evidence of rain. It is 74f degrees now heading only to 82 with a nice 5mph breeze. Even though we officially got 2.6” of rain Thursday overnight into Friday we need the rain.

My hooking up to the vacuum system for my chop saw yesterday in the train room was a breeze. I was unaware the contractor had installed 3 plug in areas. Took 10 minutes to find all 3 and a 1/2 hour to bring in and set up the chop saw. I have slowed down a lot since the Texas trip. I called my Endocrinologist yesterday and the appointment was made for March of 2022, yes! I called my GP and she will see me next week. The UW facilities are great but give me the Marshfield Clinic system any day. MC was very patient accommodating.

Flo, 3 pork sausages, 1 piece of toast and a diet Dr Pepper please.

Not sure what the agenda is today. I would like to make and install about 40’ of the layout frame work. SHE wants to hit 3 farmers market but today is the 1st FM around the Capital since October of 2019 due to Covid. This is claimed to be the biggest in the USA with over 300 vendors and attendance. It is nothing to have the police report that 20,000 visit between 7 am and 1pm. It’s a great event done weekly but because it’s the first since Covid I want to stay away.

Flo, are there any Cinnabon’s? No, ok, I will take a piece of that German Chocolate cake from yesterday. Thanks.

Great pictures and notes from the Crew here today and yesterday after my post.

Enjoy the day
TomO

edit: I have confirmation it rained. In Terry’s herb garden she has a real rain gauge, 1/4”. Then she comes out and tells me the Saturday TV weather lady left her apartment at 3:34am and it was raining. Not crazy or confused

Last edited:
Good Afternoon all! Another hot one, though a little breeze now and then. I must watch out for my little furry buddy, that he doesn't spend to much time on the hot asphalt street, burning his little paws.
Like Tom, I'm not sure what's on the agenda for today. Rumored we will have some visitors.
Lee - Love those pictures. I like some others wish I had the real estate needed for "O" scale. I also wish I still had my Lionel's and American Flyers from the 50's. Mom gave them to a needy family with 3 boys.
Willie - I really like the idea of placing structures to the outside of the layout. Hindsight being what it is.

I did get to run some trains yesterday. Also had to re-program one of my engines. I'm not sure what causes the issue, but resetting CV8 to 8 and then re-addressing the the loco fixes it. The issue is that the loco just stops, and will not take any commands. It is the second time it has happened to this loco.

STAY SAFE

LATER

Good afternoon. It's now 94 and still mostly sunny.
I found a "deal" on one of the online marketplaces, and made arrangements to purchase an N scale SD70M painted and lettered for SP. While it is significantly out of the era I'm trying to stick with, it was a good enough price I decided to make an exception. Imagine my surprise when I arrived to pick up the engine, and found, rather than an Athearn SD70M, I instead found an Overland brass SD70M in near-perfect condition. It doesn't have the outer green box, and I managed to break the front MT coupler, but other than that, it's great. It's currently tooling around the layout. And yes, I paid used Athearn price for it, which was the asking price. No chiseling required.
CBBB98CC-AB0C-4A7C-8560-C92B909A6716.jpeg

Good Morning All. Clear and 73°, pool temperature is 83°. Our ever-changing weather forecast took another turn today, with thunderstorms added for next Tuesday-Wednesday. I have been reading about the temperatures up north, gosh you guys must really be suffering in the heat. While upper 90's and triple digits are the norm here from June to mid-September, we are used to it.
I had a busy day yesterday, starting with the oil change in the car, then installing the one window A/C that I always remove in the winter, picking and pressure canning another batch of green beans, and finally doing a 45 minute session mowing with the tractor. Three trips to the pool were good breaks in the action.

Just a load of bacon and a toasted English Muffin this morning Francine. Make it an apple juice to drink.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments for the workers yesterday; Chad, Garry, Troy, Karl, Patrick, Hughie, Tom O, Guy, Gary, Rick, Tom, Sherrel, Jaz.

I didn't visit the train shed yesterday, since I was busy all day on tasks. Then we went to a restaurant in Denton for a birthday celebration for a friend. Ronnie just turned 73. He still hauls horses for a living. His wife has worked with mine for nearly 20 years.
Here are a few pictures that I took the other day. I was detailing Woody's Country Mart and once again I realized that I was detailing a side of the structure that no one would see unless it was off the layout. Near my workbench is a Chinese take-out place that faces into the layout, but I had added figures inside that cannot be seen normally.
View attachment 129106
View attachment 129107
View attachment 129108
At least I know that they are there.

Troy - We need another token agnostic now that Beady is no longer posting. He stopped just before you joined us here. Good luck with the cola endeavor. I went through a similar thing with my wife's Caffeine-Free Diet Coca Cola for a while last year. Seems that there was a can shortage or some other excuse. I generally had to get larger bottles of it and she threw away everything over 12 ozs.
Chet - Yes, the news media is only focused on reporting the number of Covid cases and deaths, and the number of vaccines distributed. Nothing about recoveries and number of folks who built up immunity. The kudos for the vaccine success are being heaped (by the news providers) on the wrong man as well.
My experiences with LG appliances has been mixed, but a telling sign about them is that the repairman that we have used for over 30 years, says that his company will no longer service them. They cannot guarantee the results because the replacement parts are either no longer available or they are junk. He also said that those repairs take up too much of the repairman's time that the company would rather spend on the appliances that they sell. Except for the new freezer and window A/C's, all of our appliances are 25+ years old.
The humidity that we are experiencing in Texas right now is unusual for most areas more than 100 miles from the coast. It has been much higher than normal years.
Hughie - Really nice job on the Majestic Hardware.

Everyone have a great hump day.
I lőve the Chinese shop, ours are usually boring and no clever models either love it

Good afternoon. It's now 94 and still mostly sunny.
I found a "deal" on one of the online marketplaces, and made arrangements to purchase an N scale SD70M painted and lettered for SP. While it is significantly out of the era I'm trying to stick with, it was a good enough price I decided to make an exception. Imagine my surprise when I arrived to pick up the engine, and found, rather than an Athearn SD70M, I instead found an Overland brass SD70M in near-perfect condition. It doesn't have the outer green box, and I managed to break the front MT coupler, but other than that, it's great. It's currently tooling around the layout. And yes, I paid used Athearn price for it, which was the asking price. No chiseling required.View attachment 129207
Are you saying you got a brass loco for plastic second hand price.I..if so you jammy devil

Howdy RR Fans! Six more weeks of this and they will have to haul me to the nut house - these two cannot keep their hands off of each other!
FLO, Just a coffee to go. I have to find a hiding place for a few hours. My three pups are all trying to get under my legs for protection at the same time to try and get away from the commotion.
OK -- It's hardly been much past a week or so that I was starting a fire in the fireplace - not so anymore! The fireplace lit itself yesterday with a recorded 108F/42C official temp. The A/C's cleaned out the cobwebs yesterday!
Just for kicks, The previous record high for June 15 was 94 in 2008!

Willie - That Chinese joint could use a name change - It looks like 'The Red Dragon' to me!
Ice and a bucket of water methinks lol….how you will claim you threw it at them…by mistake….I have no idea….sniggers

Good Morning!
Not much is being repetitive with the weather around here. An unbearably hot, cloudless day Monday, with rain all day yesterday, and today will be a cooler hair-straightener with the winds hitting near 40mph. - No matter what, I have to work through it in order to get that deck built. On the brighter side, I'm not packing plywood in the wind, so it should be ok.

Mike - I remember neon signs lining the street in the city, when I was young. Coming from a small town, I thought they were beautiful. That Weber's sign alone would lure me in for a burger.

Willie - That's a neat looking little Chinese take-out. - You need to get the spray bottle out and give it a clean. All that dust makes it look like an unappetizing place to pick-up some grub.

I don't know if anyone is interested in modern CN tractor/trailer transports, but I took a few photos of a truck passing through town yesterday.
Personally, I have no interest in these modern units other that to have a few photos for the historical record. Here's a few photos of a tractor and it's trailer:
View attachment 129110
View attachment 129111
View attachment 129112
I believe that tractor hauls for the railroad, unless CN has their own trucking company, as well.

I'm going to repost a photo of the hardware store I built for my future layout, just because I'm kinda proud of this structure and I like it:
View attachment 129113

Have a good one! I need to get going on my way!
Love it,inside shop photos tend to be iffy, but making room and getting people inside…superb

We have an LG washer and LG dryner from 2008. Still going strong. They must have gotten crappy since then or we got lucky.

Not sure I would buy again based on what others have said now and also my wife is against Korean products in the house now.
I would say buy British, but in your case definitely buy American, although my Tesla was made in the USA dec 2020 one of the last ones to come from the US I believe they will soon be from Germany, or China. I personally am supporting my own countries manufactures and avoiding others.

Good Morning All. Clear and 69°. Today is Juneteenth, our newest national holiday. It's been a state holiday in Texas since 1980.
There's a 1% chance of rain today. Still have that 60% chance of thundershowers on Monday afternoon. Meanwhile I am watering the garden this morning. There is evidence in the garden that I have some tomato hornworms, but the only one that I could locate had parasitic wasp larvae attached to it, so it will host those predators instead of getting squished.
A normal specimen.
View attachment 129184
The one that I found.View attachment 129196
Big ol' ugly things but they can be easily removed and squeezed to eliminate. Left unchecked, they can be devastating.
I have tomatoes everywhere, but they are taking their time turning red.
I posted about delivery drivers yesterday. Last evening, Amazon delivered a package and just left it in the yard!!! It was midway between the two different doors and about 30' from either.
This morning I have to replace a bushing/bearing on the tractor. It's an issue that plagues these Craftsman garden tractors. No amount of grease seems to be able to prevent them from wearing down. Then I can get back to mowing/chopping grasshoppers. Strange thing about grasshoppers, they don't really seem to eat grass, but would rather eat tree leaves and certain garden plants. They don't like weeds either.

Just an apple fritter and glass of OJ today Flo. Got to make it quick.

Thanks for the likes and positive comments regarding the layout pictures lately; Justin, Tom O, Guy, Sherrel, Patrick, Karl, Lee, Chad, Chet, Ken, Tom, Hughie, Garry, Gary, Rick.

I got to work on the latest layout project yesterday. I painted the track and ground, but the picture barely shows it.
View attachment 129197
I made a tentative set-up of the structures to ascertain that they would all fit as planned.
View attachment 129198View attachment 129199
View attachment 129200
It's not a real photogenic spot, is it?

Lee - It's great to see you posting again. I always enjoyed your pictures.
Guy - I've been counting railcars at railroad crossings since the 50's. It's too bad that I didn't have a digital camera back when there was a bit more variety going by. Now every engine pretty much looks the same. On the Santa Fe in the 70's to early 90's, I might see F45's, CF7's, GP's, SD's, and GE U-boats.
Chet - More outstanding pictures from the club.

Everybody have a great day.
You can only be photogenic once you. Are the model,do the scenic ground,get the distance working,blah blah blah,you have a good start show us in a year then we can pick on you :p

Willie. I’m very familiar with those Tomato Worms haven’t had any problems with them yet I’m now just getting Tomatoes on my Early Girl plants it’s been a weird year for my garden the ground stayed cold for the longest time and nothing grew right. I haven’t even planted my Cucumbers or Beans. I just have lost interest in it this year after my early spring failed attempt to get it out. Think I’ll play with my trains this summer instead and just raise the tomatoes and zucchini squash I have out. Your Feed Store looks awesome reminds me of the one we had in the next town over and it was a Wayne feeds also my dad would always by fresh eggs from there I always loved the smell of the inside of the store. Here’s a pic of my Early Girl View attachment 129201
Our spring was lon cold and everything a month behind frosts beyond the normal then a. Panic trying to get them out and still got ones to go, yes this year could be a dis..aster…darling. (tv quote)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back