Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of the B-707 Captain who "popped out" of an overcast - went totally visual - ignoring all his navigation equipment - and landed at Ohio University Airfield rather than Columbus. They had to "gut" the plane to make it light enough to take off. He was not fired, but was off for some time!

Not the first time that sort of thing has happened. A military C-17 landed at a small regional airport a few years ago -- down in Florida if I remember. Luckily, stripped, they were able to get off again.

Lands (at the very beginning):

Take off to get out again:

Evening, cars are painted and the roof hinges and latches are done. Gloss coat next and start decals tomorrow.
IMG_4321.jpg
IMG_4322.jpg

Ken, BB has a 15 day no-questions-asked return policy for laptops, so I'd get it set up and use it as much as possible in the next couple of weeks to make sure there are no surprises.
Thanks Terry I'm aware of that; I'm just going to do these setup activities at my leisure over the next 2-3 days rather than rush to do everything tonite...

Last edited:
Good Evening

Sometimes when you are beating around down a forest path, looking for the lost trestle of Blue Ridge lore, you see things that cannot be unseen.
A 1967 Ford Galaxy 2-door:
67 Ford Galaxy_07-17-2021 (1).jpg

After I finished photographing the car that once was, I found the trestle that cannot be all gotten in a single photograph:
Blueridge Tressel_07-17-2021 (1).jpg

The tale continues over a coffee in the morning:)

I begin relating this story at 3:00am. It's still dark outside in the 55F cool of the morning. A very pleasant beginning to the new day.

Thankyou for the many likes sent my way for yesterdays engine photo post. I'm glad you enjoy the photos.

As was said last evening, I went looking for a large trestle that is located just a bit west of the village of Blue Ridge. This trestle cannot be seen from the highway, so much traffic passes by every day, with travelers not knowing it's even there.
The trestle is surrounded on either side by a very decent forest, so finding an advantageous photo position is near impossible. This photo of the trestle shows about the most that a person can get in a single frame:
BlueRidge Trestle_07-17-2021 (2).jpg

There's no standing back for a clear shot.
I followed a quad trail up the grassy slope to get this topside shot, which is obviously void of any train:
BlueRidge Trestle_07-17-2021 (3).jpg

I went there with the dog to find the trestle, and hopefully get a photo of it with a train crossing. It's not in my character to have any sort of luck, so there was no train coming during my lengthy wait for one to show up.

So, after waiting to no avail, I thought I would walk the tracks back into the village. - And, after leaving my perch and walking back into the village, a train comes along!!
BlueRidge Trestle_07-17-2021 (4).jpg

Suppose I should have put my ear to the tracks when I was back at the trestle. It worked for the old west natives.

The train is being pulled by the two SD40 engines being used in the local area for switching. The lumber and forest product laden train will be brought back to the Whitecourt staging yard, to await transport to points east.

I was very close to the moving westbound train, so close it scared the dog as it passed by. Railcar trucks sounding Boomba, Boomba, Boomba, as the train passed by:
BlueRidge Trestle_07-17-2021 (5).jpg

Then the train headed over to cross the trestle that I was waiting beside for so long. That's when my luck kicks in; always too late.
BlueRidge Trestle_07-17-2021 (6).jpg

Anyway, I suppose I've taken up enough of you're time. Going to sit off in the corner, and sip on my coffee. See ya'll after the next train photo adventure.

Well, howdy there internet MRR peeps

It's Troy again.

Today, we're going to talk about how my wife managed to stay married to me for 34 years (I did the maths, wow, that's a long time)

Actually, I'm not sure I want to know. That probably involves a long list of my flaws. Let's skip that part.

Yesterday, I did something I've been meaning to for a while. I installed a RING Video doorbell. We get package deliveries to our back porch (which faces the parking lot at our Condo Complex. The motion alerts go to my phone (and apple watch). So, when I'm in the basement office/mancave/trainroom/hobbyroom, I'll know when my latest purchase has arrived.

The downside is, I'll also get alerts when the cat and I venture out to sit on the patio. I've learned how to set an ignore schedule. I'm not sure if I can silence the alerts on the fly for patio sitting times?

As promised, more pics from the modular HO layout at the Ft. Wayne Museum special exhibit.

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 6.52.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 6.53.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 6.53.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 6.53.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 6.54.11 AM.png

Good Morning Everyone. Cloudy and a warm 77°, with evidence of some sprinkles having passed by. If there is any real rain, it is now east of me. Despite a forecast of 96° yesterday, it only reached 91°. The rain in the forecast for the next four days has been removed, but it is still predicted to be cooler than normal until next weekend!

A wholehearted thanks to all who reacted to yesterday's post; Karl, Sherrel, Tom O, Ken, Guy, Justin, Joe, Gary, Garry, Christian, Tom, Hughie, Troy, Rick, Chad.

I'll take a couple of breakfast burritos with spicy salsa this morning Flo.

All that I did in the train shed yesterday was to continue cleaning the rails on the upper deck . Here's a few more shots of that project.
IMG_6887.JPG

IMG_6889.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
IMG_6891.JPG

Sherrel -
Their camp-spot is backed up to the river and they can float and swim in the river.
There's a river with water left in it in CA???
You need some weed grown sidings - everything is too clean?
Patience Sir.
Remember that you commented about the other side a few weeks ago? This is what it has evolved into so far. At some point I will be adding tall weeds to all locations as well.
IMG_6898.JPG

Steve - Those are not hand-laid turnouts. 90% of my turnouts are standard Atlas switches, either #4, #6, or a few snap switches. In some remote places on little used industry spurs, I have some train set switches either from Tyco or LifeLike. I think that there are 110 of them all together. The one that leads to the Star Manufacturing and John Deere Distributor is an Atlas Snap Switch because that's what fit best.
Patrick - Along those lines of people getting promoted, I had a similar situation in 1995. A supervisor who worked for me had quit in '93, and was hired back as a fellow manager two years later. Our COO was in a car accident and was a victim of amnesia for an extended period. Jerry, kinda muscled his way into taking over and he didn't like me from earlier; and he tried to fire me but was prevented from doing so by the CEO. He was a severe a$$hole to begin with and was once cold-cocked by one of his own employees during his prior stint. At the time, I was one of only a couple of persons at the company that knew how to make and use spreadsheets. A trusted assistant manager told me that Jerry was dissecting them to learn how to use them so he could claim some authorship to upper management. So I started putting hidden password protected cells, formulas, pages and columns in them which made him mad. But the coup de grace was the air conditioner. He had an office built upstairs in an un-air conditioned factory, which shared the A/C from my office. I knew of this but he didn't. He liked to come to work at 8:30 and work until 7:00 in the evening, I was there from 6:00 until 3:30ish or so. I would turn the A/C off when I left and it became overbearingly hot up there. He finally complained to the Maintenance Manager who explained it all to him. I get a call to come to his office where he was about to reprimand me. I could tell that the MM was giggling inside when I feigned total innocence, and pointed out that he had sent a memo a few months earlier asking everyone to conserve energy. He started to say that he didn't remember sending the memo when the MM bluntly stated that he got it too. Being as it was E-Mailed, we both had a record. Not long after when the COO finally recovered and tore him up over many of his actions, Jerry left.
Sorry for the long reminiscence.
Tom -
You just find yourself napping more during the day that's why you sleep less.
Wait, I resemble that!

Everybody have a great day.

Greetings all,

Got some train work done, but nothing of great consequence. Last night when sleepless, I read through the instruction manual that came with the PSX power manager circuit breakers. Man, that's a lot to comprehend!

Any other DCC Specialties PSX users out there? I suppose I'll ask detailed questions of the DCC forum.

The girls had their day going, so I picked up said Greek BF and we went to my favorite liquor specialty store: Ace Spirits in Hopkins, MN. WOnderful selection of whiskies of all types, especially Scotch Single Malts. Spent a good 45 minutes browsing. Then home to meet the ladies and begin the steak-feed. Fired up the Weber and got the potatoes on - then the corn-on-the-cob (I wrap mine in foil), and then the beasties: Two filets mignon and two NY strips, and now the challenging parts: One well-done strip, one medium filet, one medium-rare strip and one rare filet!

"Hey Mel, I'm feeling for you this morning!"

All came out nice and put a bottle of French red alongside for a most tasty meal. Only too big, since for afters we had strawberries with fresh whipped cream. Ugh, did not sleep well with all the heavy food - - Jack will be a tired boy.

Church, Costco, and then all day in the train room today. Will be nice. Tomorrow afternoon, I leave for a four day training session so will post tomorrow morning, and then not until Friday or later. I will try to get a picture or two of progress. --------------Steve J

Was awakened by THUNDER, LIGHTENING, AND THREE ONE-HUNDREDTHS of an inch of rain this morning! One of the pups was trying to sit on my face as she is apparently afraid of thunder - just could not get close enough to me.
It is 68F and looking for 92F later - and quite "muggy" feeling. I guess I should look at the radar and see what's happening.

TROY - Congrats on the 34 years.
Those runways on the layout look kind of "tight"? Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Speaking of sharing: Here is one from my friend RJ Thomas in San Antione!
"The snapping turtles make a run for the water as our VO-660 switches at Brush Creek on a hot summer day.... "

VO660 switching.jpg

Geez, didn’t any of you folks sleep in? Well good morning from a beautiful morning at the daughter’s house in Wisconsin. The start of another gorgeous morning. 64 now and heading again to the 80’s, dry with low humidity and extreme sun.

Party day on the homestead. Unexpectedly to me the son and my brother showed up while I was traipsing around Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois picking up my niece yesterday. My brother’s excuse was Arizona was too hot and he missed his g/f. The son said his reason was the uncle called and asked if he wanted to be picked up. The brother will stay the son is leaving Monday afternoon. The SIL is back from the boundary waters trip and is smoking a brisket. The son is over here trying to convince him to do it Texas style versus however he’s been making it. Says not enough ring? The g/f told my brother that they Do Not need a smoker! This will be a fun day!

Last night we were all together to watch the NBA game in the back yard on a 20’ inflatable screen we got the SIL for xmas past. That was cool. I had up until last night since January maybe watched 30 minutes total of the NBA. I sat through the 1st quarter watching the Bucks getting blown out by 16. Went to race slot cars with the granddaughter and my son. The wife came and told me I missed the Bucks come back and they were up at 1/2 time. I sat and watched the 2nd half as the Buck hung on to win.

Ring door bell camera, we have one just for the package delivery too. I will have to find the ignore time schedule thing

Troy, thanks for the additional pictures of the museum, happy anniversary

Willie, I sure as heck don’t miss that crap from work anymore

Steve, no help from me on the electronics. If it’s not super well documented I get lost easily

Guy, for a self described lousy photographer I believe you do excellent work. I love the trestle pictures but to me, your locomotive pictures are awesome

Toot, is Australia locked down again?

for about 10 minutes this morning this guy was sitting about 6’ from me. Have a wonderful day

TomO
53C6B047-DA45-4442-A1C8-FD1F32A1C4EF.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back