Running Bear’s July 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chet: I only recall one trip "Up da River", the Inaugural of the TVLA, the Transcontinental Van train that Conrail and the Santa Fe. The ride up the Hudson is fantastic, probably more eye appealing, than via the tracks across the river on the Hudson Line. My guess, late 1987... Flew back on a Piedmont Connecting flight that followed the River, all the way from Albany to EWR, another great view of the Hudson, from a overhead perspective.
Joe- Piedmont? I think you’re dating yourself on that one(my sister flew them back n forth from EWR(lower fare than PHL)- Asheville(via Charlotte) when she was in college)- Mars Hill College(now University), north of Asheville.

Howdy ...

Correcting what I said yesterday .Fuel was pumped out of the cruise ship and into the fuel barge . They were not adding fuel to the shop. The purpose was to reduce weight of the ship.

They used the water jetting method today to move mud and rocks from beneath the ship.

I just heard the cruise ship is now free. It is parked nearby in deep water.

I still not not know why the ship strayed out of the deep channel in the first place. It was on the wrong side of buoys.

4vjq.gif

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 75°, not quite as muggy today. Predictions of 96° for a high today and tomorrow before three or four days of thunderstorms. But the weather geeks have been low-balled by Mother Nature on the high temperature for the whole month so far!
That spider yesterday is a common "Yellow Garden Spider" that is native to most of the US. It is non-poisonous; mine grow a lot bigger than average.

Just a few slices of French Toast and a couple of sausage links this morning Flo.

Thanks as always for the comments and reactions to my posts; Christian, Karl, Guy, Patrick, Chad, Hughie, Gary, Sherrel, Garry, Ken, Tom.

I didn't make a lot of visible progress out in the train shed yesterday, but I was working on two different things. In the town of Graham on the lower level, I finished ballasting the spur to the John Deere Distributor and started adding ground foam to the area.
IMG_6894.JPG

I also finally added the front porch roof to the Wally's Country Mart which had just been set aside on the workbench.
IMG_6895.JPG

And finally, I cleaned up the flat car and tractors that will be going in and out of the area.
IMG_6893.JPG

On the upper level as part of the quarterly cleaning project, I cleaned a lot of track in the area from the flour mill to the industrial park.
IMG_6883.JPG
IMG_6884.JPG

IMG_6885.JPG
IMG_6888.JPG

Troy - Nice selection of pictures from the museum. It's the only way that I will ever see it.
Patrick - Twice in my career I was promoted over people who were previously my boss. It's an odd feeling, one was resentful but the other was amicable. The resentful one left the company about a year later from disability.
Tom O - We had our own personal financial meeting yesterday. My wife also handles all of the personal side while I handle the retirement/investment side. She freaks anytime the Dow goes down more than 100 points and wants me to sell. I am able to toughen it out and it has proved to be successful so far except in 2008. I appease her by moving a small % of her Roth IRA into savings for a short time! I am more invested in the Russell 2000 and similar small cap funds. I have been disappointed since the "sin" fund that I used to be in dissolved. It held stocks in alcohol, gambling, tobacco and girlie movies. Best returns that I ever made. They just shut it down and made a handsome payoff to all investors.
Chad
As they say, 7 out of the 10 most deadly (and scary) things in any category you can think of are in Australia.
Does that include Ray???

Today is National Lottery Day and National Tattoo Day. I don't indulge in either so I won't be observing.
Everybody have a great Saturday.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of happiness this fine morning! As I speak, there is a thunderous, torrential downpour happening outside. This is the first real rain we've had in over a month. We are saved!!
Hopefully, all the forest fires are receiving the same amount of flame stomping, life giving rain.

I can't be in here to long, as a friends hot water tank failed yesterday, and I've been asked to change it out. Because I'm a tradesman and ex-contractor, people around here always ask me to fix their stuff. Gets to be a pain in the arse, frankly. I have a hard time saying no, though, since the repair requests usually come from women who don't have mechanical skills.

So, I'm just going to drop a bunch of photos on the table without captions, and be on my way. You can figure out what they are.
BCOL 4645_C44-9W_Edson_05-31-2021.jpg

BCOL 4620_C40-8M_04-07-2021.jpg

SD40-2Ws_WtCrt_07-12-2021 (1).jpg

SD40-2Ws_WtCrt_07-12-2021 (2).jpg

SD40-2Ws_WtCrt_07-12-2021 (3).jpg

SD40-2Ws_WtCrt_07-12-2021 (4).jpg

All of those photos were taken by myself. Perhaps one day in the future, they will be part of what is known as 'The G.B. Swidley Collection'.

Have a good one!

Morning gang! I don't have a lot to report on this morning. The Spousal Unit made it to Meyers Flat - her destination - with all the daughters and 6 Grandkids ages 4 months to 14 years. I get to dog-sit for the week and watch whatever TV shows that I want without interruptions? For your info: Meyers Flat has a small RV park (with cabins) on a U shaped bend of the Eel River that runs through the Giant Redwoods- a truly awesomely beautiful spot.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...5ac144f!8m2!3d40.2664122!4d-123.8700843?hl=en

Their camp-spot is backed up to the river and they can float and swim in the river.
Sorry, I was sidetracked there for a moment. After arriving at the "Flat" the awning decided to work, but fortunately they were level enough that they did not have to use the leveling system which still has decided NOT to work. I swear that the RV has become haunted; I think I will call for an exorcist upon their return?

GARRY - I bet that the cruise company is looking for a new Captain for that ship - someone was NOT minding the store?

Willie - You need some weed grown sidings - everything is too clean?

GUY - Happy that you are getting some relief on the temps? I was starting to worry about your frame of mind? LOL

Supposed to be 91 - sunny, and breezy here today.
Thanks, FLO, Just a large coffee this morning - I;ll have lunch later on!

Good morning all!

The golf was great fun yesterday. Played pretty well with an 89 - even made a birdie on a par 4 hole. Bracelet was delivered and much liked, but is a tad too long, so I will adjust and return on Monday. We went out to eat yesterday night and had a lovely time.

Train work today!! !! Wifeykins leaving in about an hour to pick up the daughters for a girls day. I'll go shopping for steaks, potatoes and corn and then dive into the train room where I hope to create and wire up the mini-control panel for the yard. My black and red 16 AWG wire arrives Monday (ordered from Lowes) so will wire up the isolation switches to the service tracks on the roundhouse side of the TT.

Or: option 2) start the layout of the main yard ladder itself! Of course, I have not yet done all the pre-work on the turnouts for fine-tuning and adding details. So maybe plan 1) is best.

Willie: are those hand-laid turnouts?

My US Navy frigate went aground in 1991. A hurricane had come straight up Narragansett Bay where we were riding out the storm at anchorage. Once the storm passed it was beautiful and calm. Captain pushed and pushed for permission to come into port and finally was authorized but with no tugs or pilots. By this time it was twilight. He did not realize that nav aids and shore lights were all kerflooey from the storm and put 'er on the rocks. I, being chief engineer, was down in main control. Sure enough, we get a series of 'bells' (engine orders) from ahead 2/3 to all back emergency full - which gets your attention. But before we even got the ahead throttles closed and the astern throttle open WHAM, BAM. I saw the prop RPM go from about 40-50 to 0 immediately so knew what happened. It was not a good day.

Cheers to all ------- Steve J

Good morning fellow global modelers. A very nice morning on the south deck. 69f degrees heading to 80 and the TV weather guy said last night this is the weather pattern we should have the next 7 days. This I can handle!

Willie, we used to do before Covid the family quarterly meeting but both kids seemed to have lost interest as they were more successful themselves in the world. Terry, handles 90% of the financials especially the stocks. I am a strong believer in buy and hold and she basically agrees with that. She took over the financials in 1988 when I almost split us up with my gambling addiction. It’s been a good financial ride since around 92. She now does the investing for both kids. She also handles the stock market investing for my brother and sister. The brother is a savant when it comes to venture capital but he cannot play the stock market. He is one of those guys who must have an immediate win there. Finally about 10 years ago he handed that over to Terry.

Guy, excellent pictures.

Spiders, big, small or movie props. NO thank you

Troy, I have been reading up a bit on Fort Wayne. Looks like a good over night stop when we come back on our eastern trip. Terry and I love a good museum. Thanks for sharing

Patrick, when I went to working in the office for my brother I had to train the kid who was to be my boss how to do customer service. I really had no issue. He started out as my internal contact when I was on the road. He was great when I was on the road but when he became MR manager he changed. About a year later he was gone.

tats, my thinking on them has definitely changed over the years. I will not have one but I have seen some beautiful art on people

Terry is home today instead of being in Phoenix for the NBA game tonight. The friends brother in law had promised this game to one of his Phoenix clients, but they do have the tickets in hand for games 6 and 7 if necessary. The 4 of them along with the daughter are enjoying Mimosas already out on the pool deck. At noon, my sister and I will drive to Rockford, Illinois to pickup her daughter who is with her boyfriend in Barrington, Illinois. Not quite 1/2 way but I didn’t have any plans today. My sister said they will buy us lunch and she told me to let the b/f pay. The niece will stay with the daughter for at least the next week or two. She had some recording equipment sent to us as she has some voice over work she needs done by Wednesday. My sister is recovering from her throat surgery 2 weeks ago and got an all good from her doctor this week. Her doctor thought the NBA finals would be good for her but warned her again about over taxing her vocal cords. My sister should be with us until at least October.

picture below, yes I am aware the light poles are facing the chip pile
thanks for reading
TomO
4CE4EE3B-0C42-4877-940F-F484C9D07BE0.jpeg

Good morning, (while it still is), 90°, and sunny right now, Storms later.

I still not not know why the ship strayed out of the deep channel in the first place. It was on the wrong side of buoys.
I suppose who ever was at the helm, on watch and his boss screwed up.

Lots of good photos and conversations over the past couple of days. Good information concerning WIN 11 devices.

PC 2102 at Sharonvile (Cincinnati) OH - Calloway.jpg

Sharonville Ohio - Warren Calloway photo.

GARRY - I bet that the cruise company is looking for a new Captain for that ship - someone was NOT minding the store?

Sherrel .... Yep. .... Steering the boat was simple. Just stay between the buoys marking the channel. It's so simple even a retired 747 captain can figure it out. :)

Last I heard, the ship is parked in deep water very close to where it was stuck for 9 days. It was to be inspected before leaving.

Sherrel .... Yep. .... Steering the boat was simple. Just stay between the buoys marking the channel. It's so simple even a retired 747 captain can figure it out. :)

Last I heard, the ship is parked in deep water very close to where it was stuck for 9 days. It was to be inspected before leaving.
Reminds me of the B-707 Captain who "popped out" of an overcast - went totally visual - ignoring all his navigation equipment - and landed at Ohio University Airfield rather than Columbus. They had to "gut" the plane to make it light enough to take off. He was not fired, but was off for some time!

Troy, I have been reading up a bit on Fort Wayne. Looks like a good over night stop when we come back on our eastern trip. Terry and I love a good museum. Thanks for sharing

If you want to learn about Ft. Wayne, that's a good little museum. Emphasis on little. I posted all of the train section.

There was a special event going on in the upstairs ballroom (that used to the be the city council, court chamber, prosecutors office. It's been gutted, rehabbed and turned into an event room.

Seems there is a local HO modular club in town. I'd link to their website, or to their FB group... but they don't have any. So I didn't know they existed. They do an annual show of their layout there every summer during the Three Rivers Festival. So, they won't be there when you do visit.

The had a lot of Indiana area scenes set up in various modules. I stayed up here while my wife explored the old jail in the musty basement of the building.

I'll add more pics later. Here's a few to get you started.

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 3.26.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 3.26.04 PM.png

My wife's grandfather worked at the prototype of this factory.
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 3.25.55 PM.png

That goober is back taking selfies again
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 3.25.42 PM.png

Hello Shop Dwellers, it's 74*F and raining here in central MD, with a Severe Thunderstorm Warning in effect. Radar shows the storms are heading to the south and east of us.

Garry - glad to see they finally got that ship floated again.

Joe - great photo of PC 2102, now I know what color to paint all my Caboose Ground Throws! ;)

(Whoa, gotta make this quick - a couple of thunderheads sprouted like mushrooms and are headed my way...)

Well, the deal is done - I stopped into Best Buy this afternoon and bought the Dell Inspiron 14-7000 that was described in the link in my reply to Terry yesterday. I double-checked the Microsoft web site and saw that its processor [AMD Ryzen-5 4500U] is on their list of CPUs that they'll support for Windows 11. Haven't taken it out of the box yet since the ASUS still has some life left in it. But I wanted to get it while it was on sale - the $200 discount on their MSRP of $800 brought it right below the top threshold of my hardware budget! 👍

Hello Shop Dwellers, it's 74*F and raining here in central MD, with a Severe Thunderstorm Warning in effect. Radar shows the storms are heading to the south and east of us.

Garry - glad to see they finally got that ship floated again.

Joe - great photo of PC 2102, now I know what color to paint all my Caboose Ground Throws! ;)

(Whoa, gotta make this quick - a couple of thunderheads sprouted like mushrooms and are headed my way...)

Well, the deal is done - I stopped into Best Buy this afternoon and bought the Dell Inspiron 14-7000 that was described in the link in my reply to Terry yesterday. I double-checked the Microsoft web site and saw that its processor [AMD Ryzen-5 4500U] is on their list of CPUs that they'll support for Windows 11. Haven't taken it out of the box yet since the ASUS still has some life left in it. But I wanted to get it while it was on sale - the $200 discount on their MSRP of $800 brought it right below the top threshold of my hardware budget! 👍
Ken, BB has a 15 day no-questions-asked return policy for laptops, so I'd get it set up and use it as much as possible in the next couple of weeks to make sure there are no surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back