Rerailer

My guys have to get out and work the loco or car(s) back onto the rails. They've got it down, though, and it usually takes them less than a hour.

No, no rerailers. I have a tool for placing cars on the track. Are you talking the Atlas rerailer/roadcrossing? The road crossing part is too big for my purposes.
Welcome to the Forum!

*gulp* 50 years ago I had a tool, it was a ramp that straddled the rails to place N scale cars onto the tracks. Ten years later when I jumped up to HO and included that tool when selling all the N equipment. Now at 64yo I could use a tool to put equipment back on the track.

I do use rerailers in tunnels and hidden from view track areas.

Tunnels, hard-to-reach areas, and staging yards are perfect places for them. Disguised as road crossings is also a wonderful idea.

No matter how impeccable your track work, and no matter how well your wheels are gauged and trucks are tuned, it seems there always has to be a troublemaker somewhere in the bunch!

I'm still trying to decide , but it looks like I will put a couple of rerailers in the yard and in a tunnel and on a bridge. Things still might change.

I use a rerailer ramp, the others I have aren't rerailers, just Hornby tension lock uncouplers, as long as the trucks are under tension there's no problem and doesn't work on Kadee's, but they do work as rerailers.

yes and no ..... i did a couple of 3d printed 'railers' to help put rolling stock onto the track, but i have no 'rerailers' on the track itself .. and i use fiixed super magnets for uncoupling

I did a little inventory of my rerailer usage on my new double deck layout. I have:
13,......4 on hidden track behind container port on the upper level, 8 on entrances/exits of the external helix structure
18,.....1 each on the 18 staging tracks
1,........supporting the 3-way turnout into this staging tracks
14,.....at each end of the 3 bridges crossing my entranceway to the train shed
46,.....TOTAL

I'm still trying to decide
Never really heard what you were looking to achieve, but perhaps this might be another option.
IMG_20220414_233221076.jpg

IMG_20220414_233238837.jpg

A rerailer that you can place wherever you want. I saw this some time ago, (years,) I don't even remember if it was on a forum, you tube, or where. I don't recall the requirements for length, but mine is 46 scale (HO) feet long tip to tip. It needs to be shorter that the height of the rail, I'm using code 83, this is a piece of .080 styrene, cut to fit between the tie plates, laying flat on the ties.

I cant tell if this is designed only to mate to a stub end track or if it can be used simply setting it over the track (four identical photos don't help). It does also seems to be somewhat warped, but perhaps a heat gun or a hot lamp could soften it enough to straighten that out--wear gloves if you try it.

Last edited:

I cant tell if this is designed only to mate to a stub end track or if it can be used simply setting it over the track (four identical photos don't help). It does also seem to be somewhat warped, but perhaps a heat gun or a hot lamp could soften it enough to straighten that out--wear gloves if you try it.
🤣 That, to me, is a HO scale rerailer, (and it's the angle that makes it look curved). What you don't see are the grooves that run the whole length they just make sure the loco/wagon or coach trucks are correctly positioned on the track without having to bend over and fiddle with the trucks to ensure they are correctly mounted on the track. Here's a better view.

This is similar to the version you guys use, but it's also a tension lock uncoupler, in OO scale.

Last edited:
When I said it seems to have a warp, what I'm referring to is the bottom end of the ramp--it seems to touch the (assumed) table at the closer/front corner, but it seems to be a bit higher up off said table at the back corner than I think it should be, hence the term warp. Might just be my own impression, and "your results by vary," as they say. It's also why I wanted to see something other than the same photo four times--perhaps set in place over a piece of track, for example, with a car on it, etc.
That Hornby does fit over the rails, as I would expect. This one (the one I'm used to, albeit in N scale) was made by Rix Products here in the US: https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/ho-rail-it-rerailer/RIX6280002.html and anyone not familiar with them can see this LIVE ACTION :D photo to get the idea: https://www.amazon.com/Products-RAIL-Locomotive-Placement-6280002/dp/B078VJ7C1M
The Denver N-trak club (DeNtrak) still uses or used them in their staging yards at shows.

Last edited:
When I said it seems to have a warp, what I'm referring to is the bottom end of the ramp--it seems to touch the (assumed) table at the closer/front corner, but it seems to be a bit higher up off said table at the back corner than I think it should be, hence the term warp. Might just be my own impression, and "your results by vary," as they say. It's also why I wanted to see something other than the same photo four times--perhaps set in place over a piece of track, for example, with a car on it, etc.
That Hornby does fit over the rails, as I would expect. This one (the one I'm used to, albeit in N scale) was made by Rix Products here in the US: https://www.towerhobbies.com/product/ho-rail-it-rerailer/RIX6280002.html and anyone not familiar with them can see this LIVE ACTION :D photo to get the idea: https://www.amazon.com/Products-RAIL-Locomotive-Placement-6280002/dp/B078VJ7C1M
The Denver N-trak club (DeNtrak) still uses or used them in their staging yards at shows.
I see what you mean, I was using my phone, so that's why I said what I did, so, apologies. I think just the way they've just angled it to take the foto, but yeah it does look warped.

But looking closely at the rear of the rerailer in you OP, there are several, what I can only describe as notches, set into the rear of it which look like they would fit over the track.

The Hornby one's don't sit over the track, it's not separate, it is the track. The second one I posted, the Gaugemaster, which I have, (well, it's exactly the same but from Kato) does sit over the track as the Rix does, but they all do the same job.

I don't have any of the Hornby style rerailers, simply because the Rix or Gaugemaster style rerailers will work on any straight piece of track anywhere on the layout, so I don't see the need.

Last edited:
I see what you mean, I was using my phone, so that's why I said what I did, so, apologies. I think just the way they've just angled it to take the foto, but yeah it does look warped.

But looking closely at the rear of the rerailer in you OP, there are several, what I can only describe as notches, set into the rear of it which look like they would fit over the track.

The Hornby one's don't sit over the track, it's not separate, it is the track. The second one I posted, the Gaugemaster, which I have, (well, it's exactly the same but from Kato) does sit over the track as the Rix does, but they all do the same job.

I don't have any of the Hornby style rerailers, simply because the Rix or Gaugemaster style rerailers will work on any straight piece of track anywhere on the layout, so I don't see the need.
Ah, no worries. I could have been more clear about looking at it from the bottom end and up the ramp, which I think I typed in and then lost from my last post TOO. Blech!
Rix Products: Rick manufactured some of his items because he knew what he wanted, but couldn't find them anywhere. His rerailer, his ballast spreader, etc. I'll speculate that, now that his very large home layout is finished, he really DOESN'T need them anymore, so they've gone out of production...at least for now. I'm sure he still has the molds if he decides to do another run.
I do wonder if we would ever have seen any of his molded kits too, had 3D printing been available when he started out in business (he owns an injection molding company, and does quite a few small parts for auto companies, IIRC). So many possibilities and methods today that just hadn't been imagined a generation ago. All part of the fun. :D

Back