Repairing Walthers Power Plant

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

beiland

I've been neglecting my power plant kit that I purchased used some time in the past. It's actually pretty well done, and includes the interior. But its roof was terribly warped,...

The roof was made of plastic with a sandpaper covering. I wondered if I might heat it up while clamped to see if I could straighten it out. But that didn't work,...

I then began to think about what material I might use as a backing plate,....but then it dawned on me, why not make a new roof. I looked at the idea of plastic, but then hit upon the idea of thin metal like the type I used for the base of my roundhouse,...

Now I just need to add the sand paper and the vents to that roof.

I've also decided I need to raise it up a little back there so it shows a bit better,..(3/4"?, like it was on some sort of mound?)

Brian

beiland

In certain cases I have seen ordinary sun light do extraordinary warping. I don't know how mine came to be like that,...it was like that when I bought it used. I figured I would find a way to repair it, particularly as the rest of the kit appeared unaffected.

BTW I considering using some of my cellular PVC sheet material or gator foam to make a new roof,...but that metal was handy.

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
I "used" to have the bad habit of setting locomotives on top if my water heater which is directly next to a section of my layout. I forgot one locomotives for several weeks on the heater and the heat from the water heater's exhaust warped a side panel on the cab of one of my best running locomotives.

I still find myself using this convenient shelve to place rolling stock and locomotives.

Greg

beiland

I recall seeing a few locos that a fellow bought to a train show that were warped quiet a bit. He said he forgot one time when he was at an outdoor show and the locos sat there 'cooking' in the sunlight under their plastic packaging.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.