Repairing Walthers Power Plant

beiland

I've been neglecting my power plant kit that I purchased used some time in the past. It's actually pretty well done, and includes the interior. But its roof was terribly warped,...
DSCF5442.jpg

DSCF5474.jpg

The roof was made of plastic with a sandpaper covering. I wondered if I might heat it up while clamped to see if I could straighten it out. But that didn't work,...
DSCF5481.jpg

DSCF5482.jpg

I then began to think about what material I might use as a backing plate,....but then it dawned on me, why not make a new roof. I looked at the idea of plastic, but then hit upon the idea of thin metal like the type I used for the base of my roundhouse,...
DSCF5483.jpg

DSCF5484.jpg

Now I just need to add the sand paper and the vents to that roof.
DSCF5485.jpg

DSCF5486.jpg

I've also decided I need to raise it up a little back there so it shows a bit better,..(3/4"?, like it was on some sort of mound?)
DSCF5487.jpg

Brian

In certain cases I have seen ordinary sun light do extraordinary warping. I don't know how mine came to be like that,...it was like that when I bought it used. I figured I would find a way to repair it, particularly as the rest of the kit appeared unaffected.

BTW I considering using some of my cellular PVC sheet material or gator foam to make a new roof,...but that metal was handy.

I "used" to have the bad habit of setting locomotives on top if my water heater which is directly next to a section of my layout. I forgot one locomotives for several weeks on the heater and the heat from the water heater's exhaust warped a side panel on the cab of one of my best running locomotives.

I still find myself using this convenient shelve to place rolling stock and locomotives.

Greg

I recall seeing a few locos that a fellow bought to a train show that were warped quiet a bit. He said he forgot one time when he was at an outdoor show and the locos sat there 'cooking' in the sunlight under their plastic packaging.

Back