Recommended Method for Weathering Kato Viaduct

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.

GuilfordRailman

Before I adhere the track to my new micro layout, I want to weather the two small viaducts I have as part of the track plan. Any recommendations on the best method to do this?

Attachments

• 2562D660-2480-47D7-A07D-7AA01CBF7576.jpeg
    2562D660-2480-47D7-A07D-7AA01CBF7576.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 32

Selector

These are through girder bridges. A viaduct is suspended roadbed held at grade by a masonry and/or stone arch structure. The girders would be painted black, and over time the fillets, flanges, and rivets would develop rusted sections and streaks below them. The bottom flange would be dirty and heavily rusted.

index.php

GuilfordRailman

These are through girder bridges. A viaduct is suspended roadbed held at grade by a masonry and/or stone arch structure. The girders would be painted black, and over time the fillets, flanges, and rivets would develop rusted sections and streaks below them. The bottom flange would be dirty and heavily rusted.

index.php
Ahh okay. I was just going with what it said on the Kato package (2 7/16” straight viaduct).

Good reference pic! Any recommendations for weathering supplies? I was planning on using just black spray paint and weathering with acrylic paints to simulate the rust.

Last edited:

Selector

I used Floquil 'rust' on rails, but that brand is gone. For any tinting, painting, and weathering, I just fudge something passable out of the Plaid Craft acrylic paints available cheaply at Wally's. A single drop of red, half a drop of yellow, and maybe some Burnt Umber, just a half smidge, and dilute that in about 1 tbsp of water. Then, with a barely wet small brush, and a steady hand, start swiping the sides of the braces and the edges of the flanges. Don't overdo it, let each coat dry thoroughly, and then re-apply if it's too thin.

Last edited:

GuilfordRailman

I used Floquil 'rust' on rails, but that brand is gone. For any tinting, painting, and weathering, I just fudge something passable out of the Plaid Craft acrylic paints available cheaply at Wally's. A single drop of red, half a drop of yellow, and maybe some Burnt Umber, just a half smidge, and dilute that in about 1 tbsp of water. Then, with a barely west small brush, and a steady hand, start swiping the sides of the braces and the edges of the flanges. Don't overdo it, let each coat dry thoroughly, and then re-apply if it's too thin.
I’ll give it a shot, thanks!

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.