Reasonably priced turntable

jacon12

I know.. I know... those two things,... reasonable prices and turntables don't go together. What's that called, an oxymoron or something like that? Anyway, anyone know of a 130' turntable that won't break the bank buying it? A manual one that is turned by hand would be fine with me.
Jarrell

Jarrell, a turntable that size is not going to be cheap...even manual. I built the 120' CMR kit at $158 plus cost of a motor. The 135' is the same price. If you get interested in this one, let me know and I can save you $40 on the motor they recommend. Also, I control mine with a cheapo mobile decoder. You can slow is down to a snail's pace making the track alignment easy and you just dial it up on any trottle for use. http://www.custommodelrailroads.com/turntable.html

Fergie has posted the turntable he hand made somewhere on this forum. That is another idea for you.
EDIT: I found the post at http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2638

Last edited by a moderator:
Jarrell. I've just about decided to scratch-build mine. Now before you start thinking about how hard that might be consider this: The guys here have figured out all the hard parts. All you need to do is learn to cut a circle and find the center. Everything else is following the numbers.

Thanks fellas. I'm still a good ways off from installing one so I've got time to weigh all the options and you guys just gave me some more..
Jarrell

hminky said:
Try the 14" Heljan it can be had for under $30.00

Harold

I've got a 98' Heljan, the main problem is the centre bearing. I had a total rebuild with a capstan drive from a video player. Haven't worked out the drive yet but at least it turns smoothly.:D

Ken.

I measured my longest locomotive today and it and it's tender work out to about 123 scale feet. 'Course I could just not put it in the engine house but I wouldn't ever feel right about that. ... :)
Jarrell

Jarrell, my Challenger and Class A wheels will just fit on my 120 foot TT bridge. I believe they are about 18.75 inches overall. Remember, if there is a slight overhang it is not a problem as long as the wheels are still on the track. I just move my loco forward or back if the 'cow catcher' is going to hit something.

RexHea said:
Jarrell, my Challenger and Class A wheels will just fit on my 120 foot TT bridge. I believe they are about 18.75 inches overall. Remember, if there is a slight overhang it is not a problem as long as the wheels are still on the track. I just move my loco forward or back if the 'cow catcher' is going to hit something.
Ok, thanks Rex!
Jarrell

Back