Real quick radius please

Where a 2.0% grade in HO is considered "appropriate" N Scale is more than capable of a 3.0% grade plus some as you have demonstrated. And yes, I know HO can negotiate greater grades than 2.0%
??????????????????????????????????????????????
Not finding any sensible logic in this statement.
Can you clarify?

The only reason I did that test was because a person on another forum is wanting to model a specific railroad that is in the mountains and has steep grades. Everyone was cautioning about grades, and how curves compound the problem, so I devised a test to prove if it could work or not.

BTW, I didn't do a video, but even at a 6% grade, that little 2-8-2 could do it! Even through the 9.75" radius curves. So I thought perhaps demonstrating how well this little steamer handled the curve with a grade was apropos.

@JeffH agreed, people are very cautious when it comes to grades and they tend to err on the side of the "norm" or what is "historically acceptable". I think most people under estimate what an engine (in any scale) is potentially capable of. I have to confess, I don't like going over 3.0% grade and am even more wary when it somes to curves.

Seems fairly self explanatory to me ... exactly what isn't "sensible logic"?

2.0% grade is considered the norm for HO where as 3.0% is acceptable in N Scale - makes perfect sense to me.
"Normal" and "acceptable" have two different meanings. And could easily be interchanged in your statement (i.e., 'acceptable' for HO, and 'normal' for N-scale). In which case, your statements still wouldn't make any sense.
At least not to me. 😕

Back