Real quick radius please

One thing I might add at this point, as you are planning on using flex track (another good decision in my opinion) can you solder? I ask because you will find that you will need to solder your flex track lengths together as well as use rail joiners. A general rule of thumb when it comes to flex track is to not rely on rail joiners alone to keep the track together or for electrical conductivity.

If you don't or haven't soldered before - don't let that scare you off the hobby OR using flex track - soldering isn't difficult, it just a little practice and a sense of humour (see, your already half way there) to achieve decent serviceable results ;) :p

I agree with Wombat. Soldering is important, especially if the joint between 2 pieces of flex track is on a curve. If you solder 2 pieces of flex track together, while both pieces are straight, it helps prevent the joint from forming a kink when you bend at the joint.

I agree with Wombat. Soldering is important, especially if the joint between 2 pieces of flex track is on a curve. If you solder 2 pieces of flex track together, while both pieces are straight, it helps prevent the joint from forming a kink when you bend at the joint.
And with the sliding rail to the inside usually.

buicfrank: Have another look at what JeffH did ( I think it was Jeff ) with the short curvy track on a grade in front of the computer. Do you have enough track and trains to try something like that? If so, do it and see if you like the way stuff looks. If not, change it then check it out again. Try bigger engines and cars, greater grade, bigger radii ... etc.

To me, you are much better off spending a little time now instead of having to redo everything somewhere down the line and spending a whole bunch more time. That was said tongue-in-cheek as rebuilding is sometimes one of the greater pleasures in this hobby. You learn by doing, and then when you realize that you screwed up, you get to learn by doing again. This is not Earth stopping stuff and you could have more than a few iterations to get where you want to be.

Later

If you solder 2 pieces of flex track together, while both pieces are straight, it helps prevent the joint from forming a kink when you bend at the joint.
Yeah but then one has to clear out so many ties to slide it into place, and possible to get the opposite of a kink - a flat spot. The smaller the scale and tighter the radius the bigger the chance. I am in the camp of offsetting the joints so the ties help prevent the kink, and solder in place with 1/2 length rail joiners - basically soldering the ends of the rails together.

Back