Ready to run narrow gauge locos: Is it time?

We now have pre-built buildings, pre-built freight cars, and so forth and so on. Why not pre-built AFFORDABLE narrow gauge locos? If companies can produce accurate reasonably priced standard gauge locos, why not narrow gauge? Why should I have to pay $400+ for a Blackstone brass/near brass loco, when my standard gauge friends get off at a quarter the price?

On30 has shown that there is in fact interest in narrow gauge if manufacturers will simply make the product and make it affordable.

Horizon/Athearn/MDC has the dies for such locos (including a Shay) and the technology to upgrade them is available. Why not make the money? I mean, come on, isn't that why you're in business in the first place?

Why should I have to pay $400+ for a Blackstone brass/near brass loco, when my standard gauge friends get off at a quarter the price?

Well if you look at the prices of Blackstone models and HO Steam locos from Broadway, Athearn, MTH they are all in the same ballpark. Not a big price difference when you compare sound equipped, die cast locos. Even Sound equipped diesels are over the $200 mark retail. You have to think of the Blackstone models as low production unit specific models which are detailed to a specific loco number so that adds a little to. Even look at European Narrow gauge and the prices are as high for comparable models. Just for laughs check out BEMO models which make European swiss narrow gauge.

The fact of the matter still remains: Blackstone (a quality product, nothing wrong with BSM) only models Western stuff. They've made no move toward generic/Eastern prototypes.

A local hobby shop in PA has managed to bring back the former AHM Minitrains line in HOn30, with decent mechanisms, why can't a current and existing manufacturer being back the MDC line or create another one?

The fact of the matter still remains: Blackstone (a quality product, nothing wrong with BSM) only models Western stuff. They've made no move toward generic/Eastern prototypes.

A local hobby shop in PA has managed to bring back the former AHM Minitrains line in HOn30, with decent mechanisms, why can't a current and existing manufacturer being back the MDC line or create another one?

I agree but I doubt you will see it if the Co. doesn't think there is a demand for the stuff. I would love to see a lot of models made but the its always the same story. Either there was only 10 of a unit, or no one models that, to wont make a profit on the item. Funny you mention the Big City Hobbies AHM train as I picked one up and if you look here you can see what Mr. Wheeler did to it.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19615

And seeing no one makes a lot of US NG stuff I picked up some European stuff and plan to freelance it.

The MDC line is already out there. All Horizon has to do is put it out again which would be the simplest short term solution. Past that, Bachmann could also take advantage of HOn30 with Spectrum and easily convertible HOn30 cars, not unlike their On30 line.

The MDC line is already out there. All Horizon has to do is put it out again which would be the simplest short term solution. Past that, Bachmann could also take advantage of HOn30 with Spectrum and easily convertible HOn30 cars, not unlike their On30 line.

Well you can forget about Horizon making Narrow gauge. They are still sitting on a handful of Rail Power shells that to can be released but the choose not to. Bachmann would be the best call and they technically already make narrow gauge as Bachmann owns the Lilliput line.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/price1.php?prod_selected=liliput

Well you can forget about Horizon making Narrow gauge. They are still sitting on a handful of Rail Power shells that to can be released but the choose not to. Bachmann would be the best call and they technically already make narrow gauge as Bachmann owns the Lilliput line.

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/price1.php?prod_selected=liliput

Well, back when Athearn bought railpower, the railpower tooling was slighty better than the bluebox tooling. Now to bring them up to RTR standards, they would have to retool them slightly.

Athearn has been doing just that. They have been slowly but surely retooling their inventory of stuff. For example, the GP50s, SD40s, SD45s, SD40-2s, Dash 9-44CW, and the SW series.

Although retooling all of the old blue box and railpower models is on their list of priorities, it's not as high priority as the Genesis series because Athearn needs to keep ahead in the race against other manufacturers.

Basically, what manufacturers will produce depends on improvements, and what the market will bear.

For example, Athearn BB was the first to make decent GP38-2s and GP40-2s. However, later on, the model was not up to the standards of the day, and so Atlas jumped the bandwagon (these engines are ubiquitous after all) and produced better GP38-2s and GP40-2s. P2K tried and sort of failed to jump on the geep bandwagon. This may be a (speculated) reason why Athearn is still selling the blue box tooling geeps as RTR.

Another example is the ACe race. Athearn wanted to produce the SD70ACe (I believe based on the Tower 55 tooling, I could be wrong) and MTH beat them to the punch, but Athearn decided to go through with it anyway because they had the "we can do it better" idea.

The GP15 was recently released by Athearn in the Genesis line. The only prior model was the Walthers Trainline (now rebranded as P1K) GP15 or the now-extinct Smokey Valley kit. Athearn made their version so that people would want to buy it because it is better than the P1K version.

Bachmann Spectrum did the GE dash 8 series. Atlas saw that they were popular but had many problems as well as cosmetic issues, so they made their own. Now, Bachmann's Dash 8s aren't popular anymore.

With the new RTR SW series engines from Athearn, Athearn saw that the blue box models needed a revamp and they retooled it based on the fact that no one else really made a decent SW1500. (with the exception of BLI, but most of the "big three" manufacturers are only concerned with each other as far as major competition since BLI doesn't own much of the market share.)

It's the great improvement and "We can do it too and do it better" mentality that gets us great products. However, it also depends on what the market will bear. If for example, Athearn made an obscure model of a whitcomb switcher or something that only one or two short lines had, then they would not make much money from them except for people who model those roads and freelancers. This is the major problem with producing narrow gauge equipment. Narrow gauge modelers do not make up very much of the market. Businesses are in business to make money and if they feel that they cannot generate a sufficient return on a certain product, they will not do it.

It is because of this fear that products won't sell that most manufacturers run on the preorder system. They need a minimum number of preorders to actually produce the model, then they produce enough to cover the preorders and then slightly more. The retailers/dealers like it as this means they won't have product sitting on their shelf gathering dust, and the manufacturers use it to gauge the market and ensure profitability, but is not so good for us as the prices would go up since the production run sizes are possibly smaller, and it also makes it harder for us to find certain models as the items may either sell out before the items are produced, or there isn't enough stock for people to buy after the preorder period closes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see 10x more narrow gauge stuff today than I did 10 years ago. this includes locos. I think it has grown pretty fast and is picking up speed. Down at the club( EMRRC) we have a narrow gauge layout that is being redone..

Yep, but it's still considered niche modeling. Eventually, it may grow and maybe get more ready-to-roll products.

Right now, it can be argued that most of the profits come from people with the "I just want to run trains" type of mentality.

It is because of this fear that products won't sell that most manufacturers run on the preorder system. They need a minimum number of preorders to actually produce the model, then they produce enough to cover the preorders and then slightly more. The retailers/dealers like it as this means they won't have product sitting on their shelf gathering dust, and the manufacturers use it to gauge the market and ensure profitability, but is not so good for us as the prices would go up since the production run sizes are possibly smaller, and it also makes it harder for us to find certain models as the items may either sell out before the items are produced, or there isn't enough stock for people to buy after the preorder period closes.

Pre orders mean nothing as most manufacturers already have major money invested into tooling and research that the preorder idea is just to get enough orders to fill in a production slot at the factory. There are minimums that have to be met but a large chunk has already been spent. Good example is the True Line trains MP40-3C and MP36-3C. There are preproduction models but just not enough orders to make a production run. Will the units ever happen, Only time will tell. But there are locos that have never been made in plastic which Athearn can make using the RP tooling. I can bet anyone money that if Athearn made a C32-8 and C39-8 they would sell good. But the problem is there isn't a lot of paint jobs those units can come in. Same for UP/MP C36-7's. Hell Athearn can even corner the market in the SD80/90 field as Kato has given up on those and Athearn can make a better shell anyways but the drive will be the major drawback. Sometimes manufactures make oddball units and they sell to so they must be doing something right. I am sure if the correct Narrow Gauge stuff was made RTR then it would sell but I doubt you will see a major player like Athearn or Atlas do it. And as for prices on models. I can care less but in the manufacturing part of the models the prices have increased drastically BUT the actual cost at the factory only jumped up less then $8 per unit from prices several years ago. What happened is some manufacturers jacked up prices and others watched as they sold so they jumped on the bandwagon and raised the prices knowing that the modelers will still pay it. Same deal as the Airlines are doing. It was funny to read the speculation on the forums, first it was oil prices, now wage increases at the factories, Etc. If the customers actually knew the cost to manufacture a product and how many employees are required to assemble an hour they would be in shock.

Yes, thats what I meant. Manufacturers will only produce (I mean actually produce) models if theres enough interest in them. A few models have been cancelled due to there not being enough pre-orders to justify a production run.

I know production costs are cheap. Companies need to generate a sufficient return to reinvest the money on the next model.

And as always, niche modeling (Whether it is actually niche modelling or whether the market thinks it is) is going to be more expensive than general modeling. For example, modeling modern passenger or modern commuter operations is more expensive than modelling freight and the equipment usually needs to be custom painted and/or kitbashed.

I would not call it mainstream yet. but around me I can walk into any of my 5 local hobby shops and buy a ready to run HOn3 loco,cars and track.
I remember 10 years ago I had to order locos, and rolling stock. Track may have been on the shelfs... I do live in a large city tho....;)

I have noticed a rather large shift in interest to narrow gauge recently. Seems a lot of people have been bitten by the bug. I am wondering if it has anything to do with Blackstone releasing the K-27 at a "reasonable" price? I know I bought one, with a bit of hesitation, but I absolutely love the thing! I can't wait for the C-19 to be released, I already have one on order.

I have always wanted to tinker with Narrow gauge but I dont model western US. If I did test the waters at my home layout I would likely model a industry... but to me that is little fun.

Trent

Back